• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 7, 2021
You're way off. Bail reform is about not locking people up for extended periods of time because they are too poor to pay a small bail. This looks like a failure of the judge to assess this guys character and refuse bail entirely.

How am I way off? It's about NOT requiring bail if the person isn't a danger, and if they are danger, not to use bail to essentially allow the affluent to pose that danger. Maybe I'm missing something.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
We really need to come down much harder on domestic abusers. More often than not they are ticking time bombs. At the very least they should have mandatory psych evaluations and go from there depending on the results.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I don't understand why he backed up parked his car in the driveway. You would think you would want to hide as much as possible the damage to the car. Instead you just let anyone driving by look at the damage to the front.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can y'all seriously stop with the smarmy comments alluding to Rittenhouse. This tragedy is not your opportunity to get some jabs in at another situation. Christ.

You aren't making a brilliant point. You're being insensitive to basically say "I told you so!"

it should really be bannable at this point, the amount of smug posting when this shit happens is upsetting

Totally agree. It's disgusting.

It's sociopathic behavior and completely lacking of any type of empathy to be bringing up this inane shit as people are literally still dying and being picked up off the street from this tragedy. What the fuck is wrong with some people.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Makes me sad to think about all the kids who are going to relive this moment every Christmas.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't understand why he backed up parked his car in the driveway. You would think you would want to hide as much as possible the damage to the car. Instead you just let anyone driving by look at the damage to the front.
Well he just ran through a bunch of kids in his own vehicle in a parade where everybody could see him. I doubt he was concerned about hiding at that point. Assumingly. But yeah driving home and parking your car like nothing happened after that is fucked up.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing makes me angrier than to see children put in danger. I can barely hear past the pulse of blood in my temples.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
You're way off. Bail reform is about not locking people up for extended periods of time because they are too poor to pay a small bail. This looks like a failure of the judge to assess this guys character and refuse bail entirely.

Bingo, bail is a totally separate issue and low bail amounts are not something to bring up here. The problem with bail is sometimes judges can throw out wild values that poor people can not afford, so they go to jail instead, even as they are not violent offenders or a flight risk. Then there's the racism.

Judges CAN hold people who are violent threats to the community or to themselves in jail, which has little to do with bail and should not be confused with what bail is supposed to do.

If there was a reason why they were unable to in this case and wanted to, we should be looking at that policy.

Icebergslim

Feb 19, 2021
How am I way off? It's about NOT requiring bail if the person isn't a danger, and if they are danger, not to use bail to essentially allow the affluent to pose that danger. Maybe I'm missing something.

because you're completely missing the angle of bail being used to prop up local municipalities. Bail in many places is being used as a tool to extract wealth from poor communities.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not the most common justice system failure we're used to here but still a far too frequent one.

Deleted member 7148

Oct 25, 2017
This is sad. A Christmas parade should be the most innocent, safest thing you could take your family too. You shouldn't have to worry about possibly dying at something like this. Lock this fuck up for life.

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Acts of violence against women, minorities, and leftists by utilizing vehicles is, yes. At any and every opportunity.

Let's not derail the conversation with incredulousness directed at those pointing out the violent rhetoric and actions of the GOP, their mouthpieces, and their constituency.

Just going to ignore those showing their true colors in replying to this comment. If you are burying your head after the verdict, I don't know what to say. I see you.

After the verdict it's reasonable to discuss, before it's inhumane

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Absolutely tragic and during such a positive event. The use of vehicles as weapons toward crowds is terrifying. I can't imagine the sheer horror of the situation and resulting panic. My heart goes out to all those affected and their families. Absolutely sick human to do something like this.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the video (not recommended) and it seems like it could have been an accident/hit and run situation. People frequently jam on the accelerator when they mean to be hitting the breaks, and then panic when they realize they've hit something and speed off (or try to speed off).

Hmmmmmmmm I don't think so on this one.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
This sounds more and more like it was someone trying to evade , ran through this parade and kept going vs any other real motivation, sounds like a total asshole. But hope to hear more about this extremely sad.

Also these parade barriers need to be way more fortified cars should not even be able to push through even at a high rate of speed.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
Guy with prior felony charges, fleeing another crime, crashes through a parade killing people.

His prior charges include domestic abuse and wreckless endangerment.

He should have been held without bail based on the first two charges alone, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I'm all for bail reform for weaker crimes like petty theft, or drug possession, or vandalism, or some other low end stuff.

But this guy was a danger to society way before yesterday. Domestic abuse and wreckless endangerment should have been red flags.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
Hmmmmmmmm I don't think so on this one.
I'm still not sure his intention was to attack the parade.

I didn't intend to imply that the driver was not at fault, simply that this could've been a case of reckless driving that escalated after the initial collision. I envisioned it as: he breaks onto the parade route (which people do, both out of malice and stupidity) -> he hits someone by accident while trying to force his way through through people marching -> hits the accelerator instead of the break, hitting more people -> decides "In for a penny, in for a pound" and decides to make his escape, hitting even more people.

Again, just my interpretation of the brief bit of video. We will see what the answer ultimately is. His intention absolutely could've just been to kill parade goers, that's certainly a strong possibility.

Oct 25, 2017
This tweet collects several videos chronologically and maps them out which helps contextualize it. From this, it does seem like the driver does try to avoid people until he gets to a bottleneck where the only options for him are to either stop or go through people.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
I'm still not sure his intention was to attack the parade.

I didn't intend to imply that the driver was not at fault, simply that this could've been a case of reckless driving that escalated after the initial collision. I envisioned it as: he breaks onto the parade route (which people do, both out of malice and stupidity) -> he hits someone by accident while trying to force his way through through people marching -> hits the accelerator instead of the break, hitting more people -> decides "In for a penny, in for a pound" and decides to make his escape, hitting even more people.

Again, just my interpretation of the brief bit of video. We will see what the answer ultimately is. His intention absolutely could've just been to kill parade goers, that's certainly a strong possibility.

There was based on my seeing of the videos, plenty of time where he could have stopped without hitting anyone, including in that video where he didnt hit anyone the road was pretty clear, he could have stopped.

This tweet collects several videos chronologically and maps them out which helps contextualize it. From this, it does seem like the driver does try to avoid people until he gets to a bottleneck where the only options for him are to either stop or go through people.

That was horrible, absolutely horrible watching the videos, i hope he never gets out of prison. Why not just stop and surrender. fuck him, hope he burns in hell.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Posting Unverified Information in a Sensitive Topic; Off-Topic Derail over Multiple Posts
Won't like the post cause I don't know if it's true but apparently the suspect made a lot of "anti-white" posts on social media.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Guy with prior felony charges, fleeing another crime, crashes through a parade killing people.

He should have been held without bail based on the first two charges alone, and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

I'm all for bail reform for weaker crimes like petty theft, or drug possession, or vandalism, or some other low end stuff.

But this guy was a danger to society way before yesterday. Domestic abuse and wreckless endangerment should have been red flags.
You can't use one example or a small sample to reform an entire system.

Though I don't agree with cash bail in general, in this case it could just be an example of a single court making a bad judgment call on letting this guy loose.

I don't think you can foresee see these kinds of horrible things in general.

That said I am all in favor of closely looking at what happened when they determined his bail and what warning signs may have existed.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
There was based on my seeing of the videos, plenty of time where he could have stopped without hitting anyone, including in that video where he didnt hit anyone the road was pretty clear, he could have stopped.
Yes, there was ample opportunity for him to stop, which is why this is - at absolute, rock bottom minimum - a hit-and-run situation.

Regardless of whether the driver was malicious or reckless, they fled the scene so as not to face justice, which makes everyone they hit a case of assault or homicide.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018

I'm confused on how bail reform is being used here and why it's being talked about so much.

Under the current non-reformed system, he shouldn't have been let out with those charges. Under a reformed system, he shouldn't be let out with those charges.

YaoGuia

Banned
Jan 19, 2021
Why?

Isn't this exactly why we want reform? He was able to just pay bail right?

Without bail and given his history a judge might have determined he was a danger and kept him in jail.

I thought bail reform was about determining if the suspect posed a threat and if so he goes to jail without any possibility of bail, otherwise he doesn't need bail he goes free or maybe with a monitor while he awaits trial.

Looking at Chicago, which implemented it, this absolutely hasn't happened and just resulted in people being released to reoffend again.

There have been several murders by people out pending trial since bail reform, while the only benefit they can point to is it cost offenders less money.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

those video's, god damn.

Hopefully he spends the rest of his life in Jail.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
You haven't been paying attention to what's been going on the last year and half? Violence in the city is through the roof because repeat offenders are let out for a hundred bucks or are having their cases dismissed.

the prison industrial complex will never be subverted because this is most folks' first instinct lmao

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
Cool your damn bloodlust.

Look, im not in favor of the death penalty but he could have stopped without hurting anyone, he could have stopped after hitting the first batch of people, dude went thru nearly the entire parade path. I dunno how you can't see red when you look and see he parked his fucking car so anyone walking down the street can see.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
User Banned (1 Month): Advocating Violence over a Series of Posts
Because executing a single innocent person in the name of some barbaric, contorted notion of "justice" should nullify the very existence of capital punishment.
I guess I'm more "Wild West" in my thoughts on crime.

Do yourself a favor and never break into my house.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
God this thread is a nightmare of ignorance, pointless hot takes, and knees jerk blood lust. Settle down and wait for good information and for the justice system to do its job.

Status
Not open for further replies.