• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jokerman

May 16, 2020
I'm wondering if the difference between the UK and Brazil is Johnson caught it and it nearly killed him. Bolsonaro got it and shrugged it off.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What is his endgame in here? Let people suffer and die for what? Is he at least getting rich from it or does it help to seize more power in Brazil?

What does he gain for the deaths of 250+k brazilians?
Oh you will love to hear about the mansion his son has bought recently.
I'm wondering if the difference between the UK and Brazil is Johnson caught it and it nearly killed him. Bolsonaro got it and shrugged it off.
Doesn't matter really, Bolsonaro is just that kind of piece of shit, it's hard to state how much he actually is one of the worst human beings on the planet right now, dude would be best buddies with Hitler no problem.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the situation is chaotic and its tragicomic sometimes, the president, governor etc comments "the system is not yet imploded" then you read the brazilian news about the virus:
- hospital gets equipaments from the zoo to treat people
- New record 1800 died
- all hospitals full
- 40 people dying on the line in a state to enter the hospital
- people gets treated at the reception of the hospital

its like this gif 24 hours a day by the government
200.gif

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is it? This was all over the news and apparently came from Pfizer themselves:

www.cnnbrasil.com.br

Pfizer diz que ofereceu proposta para Brasil comprar vacinas em agosto | CNN Brasil

Pfizer diz que, em agosto, ofereceu ao Brasil a compra de 70 milhões de vacinas contra a Covid-19. Segundo a companhia, país teria doses disponíveis em dezembro

Maybe is the translation but, delivery would have started December, not done by December.

While i'm sure Bolsonaro is shit and against vaccine in general it was summer 2020 so betting on any vaccine would have been a shoot in the dark (of course, for that reason you bet on as many as you can)

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have any words about this that I haven't said already. It doesn't surprise me, it just makes me incredibly angry, but also sad to see people who are suffering because of somebody they didn't want in power.

And the worst of it is that I still think he has a chance of getting reelected next year.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The sooner other countries understand that Bolsonaro is a threat not only to Brazil but to the whole world the better. Any country trying to get out of the pandemic will have a tougher time thanks to his handling of the issue, and the burning of the Amazon Rainforest is something that we all will pay dearly for.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
Dipping into conspiratorial territory, but wasn't there that 4chan post from last February January that said that if the virus gets to Brazilian bats and undergoes recombination, the death rate would reach something absurd like 15%?

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
User Banned (1 Month): Conspiracy Theorizing; Account in Junior Phase
Mod Edit: Removed 4chan conspiracy theories

Last edited by a moderator:

OtakuCoder

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Dipping into conspiratorial territory, but wasn't there that 4chan post from last February January that said that if the virus gets to Brazilian bats and undergoes recombination, the death rate would reach something absurd like 15%?

If you're gonna start doomposting, come with a better source than 4chan!

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
The sooner other countries understand that Bolsonaro is a threat not only to Brazil but to the whole world the better. Any country trying to get out of the pandemic will have a tougher time thanks to his handling of the issue, and the burning of the Amazon Rainforest is something that we all will pay dearly for.

Yeah no.... THAT level of foresight and then actually ACTING on it is something you are going to be waiting for a LOOOOONG time, if it's gonna happen at all.
There is no international cooperation for matters like these, it's every country for itself basically so that everyone can just watch these disasters happen in real time and keep on shrugging until the day shit hits the fan. Same with climate change, rinse and repeat. And you're right, we will pay dearly for the mutations that will inevitably come out of this, as we are for the rainforest and so son. So demoralizing. I mean, the BEST case scenario you could hope for at this point is some kind of international sanctions on Brazil (wouldn't change much though) and even that isn't going to happen.

Yuli Ban

Feb 1, 2021
If you're gonna start doomposting, come with a better source than 4chan!
As a DOOM, MF Doom, and doom metal fan, I take offense, good sir!

In all seriousness, I'm still flummoxed that no major publication ran with the effects of healthcare system collapse for a gloom and doom article. So many of them said that "if we don't get this under control, our health care system would collapse!" and pretty much left it there with barely more than a sentence or two of explanation of what that would entail.

I think this would hit some people harder if there were at least a few articles detailing exactly what a healthcare system collapse will look like, in grim detail. Something titled "It's August 2021, and America's Healthcare System Has Totally Collapsed: Here's What It's Like". Inevitably people are going to call it "alarmist"— the same people who said that America having 100,000 deaths from COVID-19 was "apocalyptic alarmism" back in March. I'm surprised that, for all this possibility is bandied as a worst case scenario, no one has actually written an article about what total healthcare system collapse looks like.

• Got shot? Put a bandage on it
  • Your child fell off the balcony while playing and twisted their leg? If there's any wood and tape lying around, make a splint yourself.
  • Grandpa had a stroke? Just put him on the curb, he might be fine.
  • Got a splinter and it's infected and gangrene's threatening to take off your limb? Use a hot butter knife.
Sad part is, this is only half-joking. Total healthcare system collapse would put America's medical system on par with a wartorn country's. As bad as you think it is now, it could be exponentially worse.

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
What is his endgame in here? Let people suffer and die for what? Is he at least getting rich from it or does it help to seize more power in Brazil?

It's not that the government is dumb. They know very fucking well what's happening. Thing is: they WANT poor people dying. Because that's the bulk of the deaths. Poor people have less leeway to stay at home for prolonged periods. They are forced to go to work on extremely crowded public transport.

First, the prolonged pandemic acts like a "reason" to leave the economy in a completely fucked state, doing nothing to salvage it.
Second, less poor and unhealthy people = less social security and public health costs.
Third, too many covid cases overload our public health system, helping the ones interested in their quest of getting rid of it.
Fourth, it impedes sane people of organizing and protesting against the government.
Bonus: Any one of those items can be used against political opponents.

Please, understand that it's not about Bolsonaro being "dumb" or "ignorant". It's deliberate. WE ARE BEING MASS MURDERED.

At this point the only solution is hoping someone will bombard Brasilia or something like tat.

Lange

Oct 22, 2020
Canada
I'm trying to flee but immigration is closed and I may lose the deadlines. It's getting harder not to just give up and die

El Buga

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Should be noted that this is NOT us asking for a USA military intervention since it was a USA backed soft coup that got us in this position
Yep. Like all LatAm, this mess is also USA's fault. The hard coup in 1964, and the soft coup in 2016 that helped many dictatorship apologists to the Brazilian political forefront. Plenty of docs online proving this.

This stain in our history will likely never disappear.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
fascistic right-wing populists should never be allowed to govern again. they should simply be stopped.

too late i guess. America is probably filled with all sorts of variants now too with tens of millions of brainless Trumpers wilfully helping the virus for a year now.

Lcs

Aug 9, 2018

Chaos and destruction of stability are tools of the alt-right, so he can present himself as the only alternative to "save" the country. There is always a looming threat of dictatorship over here.

Also, the more this pandemic fucks up our country, the better the scapegoat he has for everything he's fucked up so far.

Septimus

Oct 27, 2017
Holy fuck. Is that accurate? The virus killed 10% of the population in Brazil?? Jesus christ...

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
people just keep spreading nonsense on social media about covid and how it's easily prevented with some medications, the federal government is run by complete idiots and also state/city governments suffer immense pressure against restrictive measures, it's a mess.

also a lot of the population in general doesn't really care, lots of parties going on in places with overloaded hospitals,

Oct 28, 2017
Question?

Wasn't HIV/AIDS (The last recognized pandemic) also so bad in Brazil that there were warning and travel advisories in the late 90's /00's? I could be misremembering but is there something there that makes the populous more susceptible? (Forgive my ignorance, I just don't know)

JJD

Oct 25, 2017
Question?

Wasn't HIV/AIDS (The last recognized pandemic) also so bad in Brazil that there were warning and travel advisories in the late 90's /00's? I could be misremembering but is there something there that makes the populous more susceptible? (Forgive my ignorance, I just don't know)
No, Brazil treatment of HIV had international recognition. Brazil was one of the leaders on a movement to break HIV related patents. Obviously that created problems with some countries like the US but the results were very positive.

Also believe if you want, but Brazil has huge experience on vaccination campaigns. We used to have national vaccination campaigns all the time again, with very positive results.

As imperfect as our universal healthcare is, and with our experience on vaccinations we should be dealing with COVID much better.

But Bolsonaro is doing his best to fucking kill us all. He has been really successful at that.

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
I hadn't realized things had turned so badly so quickly, it hasn't been in the news that much, with people more worried about our own health system getting crushed, but we know it doesn't take much for this thing to go bad quickly.

Guess Bolsonaro is still pretending there's nothing to be done?

Boa sorte.

Ridcully

Dec 25, 2020
You guys are so funny talking about people not wearing masks on the street. This week I went to a gym after a year-long hiatus. The place has like 20 posters saying you're not allowed in unless you're wearing a mask (which I wear all the time using my face as a free advertisement).

As soon as I entered the gym, the staff told me to take off the mask. There was not a single person there who wore them. The same is in every cafe, office, and bus in the country.

The government is patting itself on the back boasting of a low death rate (they're just doing 4x fewer tests now and 'miss' 2/3 of the dead – the total rate is still the highest on the continent).

The vaccination started this week (less than 6k people so far). Every single person I've talked this year is an anti-vaxer. 70% of doctors refuse to get the shot. The government managed to raise the cost of each shot by $1 which will go to the friends with certain benefits. My turn to vaccinate will be somewhere in 2023 (I'm not joking), so I guess, I'll just stop social distancing and try to get COVID the old way.

People ignore like every single rule (except for the sanitizer, off course). Nobody cares. Just the guys who track the stats say our whole medical system will collapse in less than 7days (because they kept the ski resorts open during the lockdown which attracted tourists from all the other countries who were in a deep lockdown with the new strains). Seems, we've got them too but there's no sequencing done in the country.

What I'm saying is that even if Brazil will somehow take the situation under control, my country (which is not Brazil btw) will plague the shit out of ya'all.

Sorry, just had to vent. It all seems like trying to drain a river with a teaspoon. Remove the post if it violates the rules.

Last edited:

Tarot Deck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Should be noted that this is NOT us asking for a USA military intervention since it was a USA backed soft coup that got us in this position

Pretty fucking much.

Right now we are fucked from all point of view, sanitary and economic.

Like a wise man once said, may God have mercy of this nation.

Oct 28, 2017
No, Brazil treatment of HIV had international recognition. Brazil was one of the leaders on a movement to break HIV related patents. Obviously that created problems with some countries like the US but the results were very positive.

Also believe if you want, but Brazil has huge experience on vaccination campaigns. We used to have national vaccination campaigns all the time again, with very positive results.

As imperfect as our universal healthcare is, and with our experience on vaccinations we should be dealing with COVID much better.

But Bolsonaro is doing his best to fucking kill us all. He has been really successful at that.

Thank you for the correction. I can not fathom why I am so grossly remembering this wrong.

Apzu

Oct 29, 2017
Brazil
Are they just not vaccinating people, or planning to? Like, what the fuck is going on?
They are, but Bolsonaro was dumb enough to only buy vaccines from a single company, Astrazeneca. And just like the EU, Brazil is having a hard time receiving the vaccines we should be getting, because the company is not delivering vaccines accordingly. Luckily, the governor from the richest state in Brazil managed to make an agreement with China and bought the vaccines that are currently being used to vaccinate the population.

All in all we have administered almost 10 million doses and according to ourworldindata more than 7 million people have already received more than 1 dose. However, in a population of more than 200 million that's not enough. If we had vaccines things would be a lot better. WHO has recognized many times how Brazil has really effective vaccination's campaings, thanks to our universal healthcare system. But when there are not that many vaccines to begin with, then all that infrastructure is not helpful.

It only takes a simple majority vote to remove the Prime Minister so the PM can't upset their own party too much...
Fun fact, Bolsonaro is not even in a party anymore. He was elected in a party he ended up fighting with and then he left it to create his own. He still didn't manage to create his own party. So yeah, you can imagine how that can work out great for any government.