• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FriskyCanuck

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Canada
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/aug/27/amazon-fires-brazil-to-reject-20m-pledged-by-g7

A senior Brazilian official has told Emmanuel Macron to take care of "his home and his colonies" as Brazil rejected an offer from G7 countries of $20m (£16m) to help fight fires in the Amazon.

"We appreciate [the offer], but maybe those resources are more relevant to reforest Europe," Onyx Lorenzoni, the chief of staff to President Jair Bolsonaro, told the G1 news website.
"Macron cannot even avoid a foreseeable fire in a church that is a world heritage site," Lorenzoni said in a reference to the blaze that devastated the Notre Dame cathedral in April. "What does he intend to teach our country?

"Brazil is a democratic, free nation that never had colonialist and imperialist practices, as perhaps is the objective of the Frenchman Macron."
The announcement of the $20m assistance package was the most concrete outcome of the three-day G7 summit of major industrialised democracies in Biarritz and aimed to give money to Amazonian nations such as Brazil and Bolivia, primarily to pay for more firefighting planes.

Tensions have risen between France and Brazil after Macron tweeted that the fires burning in the Amazon basin amounted to an international crisis and should be discussed as a top priority at the G7 summit. Bolsonaro reacted by accusing Macron of having a "colonialist mentality".
The diplomatic row between the leaders had escalated earlier in the day, when Macron condemned Bolsonaro for what he called "extraordinarily rude" comments made about his wife, Brigitte, after the Brazilian president expressed approval online for a Facebook post implying that Brigitte Macron was not as good-looking as his own wife, Michelle.

"He has made some extraordinarily rude comments about my wife," Macron said at a press conference in Biarritz when asked to react to statements about him by the Brazilian government. "What can I say? It's sad. It's sad for him firstly, and for Brazilians," he added.

Macron said he hoped for the sake of the Brazilian people "that they will very soon have a president who behaves in the right way".
Guess planet endangering forest fires take a backseat to bruised egos.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017
As awful as this is, I have to admit that the two responses quotes in the OP are incredible burns (pun not intended):

"We appreciate [the offer], but maybe those resources are more relevant to reforest Europe," Onyx Lorenzoni, the chief of staff to President Jair Bolsonaro

"Macron cannot even avoid a foreseeable fire in a church that is a world heritage site," Lorenzoni said in a reference to the blaze that devastated the Notre Dame cathedral in April. "What does he intend to teach our country?

Like, damn son.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
As awful as this is, I have to admit that the two responses quotes in the OP are incredible burns (pun not intended):

Like, damn son.

Except the French prevented Notre Dame from burning to the ground. It remains to be seen whether Brazilian authorities manage (or even intend) to do the same with the Amazon.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
lol @ people thinking world leaders care enough about the environment to go to war with Brazil over it.

7aged

Oct 28, 2017
Beyond the pettiness, bringing up Notre Dame is ironic considering the national museum in Rio burned down not long before the fire in Paris.
In any case, the $20 million is a red herring, this is fundamentally a political problem, not a funding problem. No amount of money will make a difference while you have an administration in Brazil hostile to environmental and amazonian land rights policies, as evidenced by this outburst.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Trolling, Inflammatory false equivalence
"We appreciate [the offer], but maybe those resources are more relevant to reforest Europe," Onyx Lorenzoni, the chief of staff to President Jair Bolsonaro, told the G1 news website.

I have some sympathy with this point of view. The UK was covered in forests, now look!

Its ridiculous for europe to basically say, we have burned our forests, but you have to look after yours (as its the only one left).

Deleted member 2328

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I have some sympathy with this point of view. The UK was covered in forests, now look!

Its ridiculous for europe to basically say, we have burned our forests, but you have to look after yours (as its the only one left).
Maybe it's ridiculous, but it's still valid.
Also, there have been reforestation efforts in Europe.

Euler

Oct 27, 2017

No, that's bullshit deflection and is not true in the least.
q9pkjokxfky11.gif

Europe is getting reforested.

Oct 26, 2017
Bolsonaro doesn't *want* the fires stopped, he's the one setting them to encroach on indigenous people and industrialise the Amazon. Yes, dude's unironically a Captain Planet villain.
I don't think it's that simplistic. He wants to develop his country's economy, which is more important to him than environmental concerns. I don't agree with his actions but on their own they do not make him any more evil than leaders of other nations.

If the world really cared about preserving the Amazon they would be paying thousands of times the sum in the OP to help countries like Brazil develop their economy through alternate paths.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Fucking hell why do these people feel like villains straight out of a children's cartoon

Deleted member 1476

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile the secretary of the environment just said that they "don't have enough money to help everyone" up there (Amazon).

I don't think it's that simplistic. He wants to develop his country's economy, which is more important to him than environmental concerns. I don't agree with his actions but on their own they do not make him any more evil than leaders of other nations.

If the world really cared about preserving the Amazon they would be paying thousands of times the sum in the OP to help countries like Brazil develop their economy through alternate paths.

Nah. They would get the money and keep burning it.

You can't buy them, they are corrupt and will take from both sides.

Soph

Oct 25, 2017

There is a difference between an actual forest and some replanted forests. Please educate yourself before making ridiculous comments.

Last edited:

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
We're really doing a "well actually" about the Amazon rainforest?

The world will burn before people give up internet snark and whataboutism.

Euler.L.

Alt account
Banned
Mar 29, 2019

Brazil received billions.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even know why they would offer this through and through corrupt government money in the first place. Not like it would be used for the intended cause anyway. I guess 20 million was too little pocket change for the shitheads in chief to risk denting their fascist nationalist agenda.

Voltaire

Sep 13, 2018
The more I read some of the reactions to this situation the more I'm starting to believe the horseshoe theory, they might have different ideologies but it's the fucking same action or in this case inaction.

Dec 31, 2017
There were a bunch of posters in a previous thread claiming that the developed nations should be providing aid for Brazil. Clearly Bolsonaro does not give a single shit about that. Sorry you all were duped.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The funniest thing is that France OWNS LAND WITH THE AMAZON ON IT

Like Bolsonaro you idiot Macron is in this too

It would be like 50 times more profitable to send researchers and scientists to create new medicine and other stuff from the biodiversity, but dude is a walking chainsaw that hates native Brazilians. Like one of his main talking points during elections was to fuck with indigenous protected territory

Captain Planet villain is a pretty good analogy

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Brazil was doing fine until Rousseff. It was one of the fastest growing economies in the world. They were not on the shortlist for aid.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The Amazon rainforest is a global concern whos loss would effect exactly everyone on earth.

When foreign nations want to lend you a hand, it's not a sign of colonialism, you fucking egomaniac, Bolsonaro.

Oct 26, 2017
The funniest thing is that France OWNS LAND WITH THE AMAZON ON IT

Like Bolsonaro you idiot Macron is in this too

It would be like 50 times more profitable to send researchers and scientists to create new medicine and other stuff from the biodiversity, but dude is a walking chainsaw that hates native Brazilians. Like one of his main talking points during elections was to fuck with indigenous protected territory

Captain Planet villain is a pretty good analogy
Brazil was doing fine until Rousseff. It was one of the fastest growing economies in the world. They were not on the shortlist for aid.

Thank you for the information, sincerely.
I will learn more about this.
What do you believe happened that caused Bolsonaro to get elected then?

-Devious-

Oct 25, 2017
I would say this is more about his stance against indigenous people from his country and fullfiling his political platform goals while making some money from it.

On wiping out the "Indians"
"Pena que a cavalaria brasileira não tenha sido tão eficiente quanto a americana, que exterminou os índios"

"It's a shame that the Brazilian cavalry hasn't been as efficient as the Americans, who exterminated the Indians." Correio Braziliense newspaper, April 12, 1998
Racist remark
"Os índios não falam nossa língua, não têm dinheiro, não têm cultura. São povos nativos. Como eles conseguem ter 13% do território nacional"

"The Indians do not speak our language, they do not have money, they do not have culture. They are native peoples. How did they manage to get 13% of the national territory"

Campo Grande News, April 22, 2015
On indigenous people as an obstacle to mining & agribusiness
"Não tem terra indígena onde não têm minerais. Ouro, estanho e magnésio estão nessas terras, especialmente na Amazônia, a área mais rica do mundo. Não entro nessa balela de defender terra pra índio"

"There is no indigenous territory where there aren't minerals. Gold, tin and magnesium are in these lands, especially in the Amazon, the richest area in the world. I'm not getting into this nonsense of defending land for Indians"

"[reservas indigenas] sufocam o agronegócio. No Brasil não se consegue diminuir um metro quadrado de terra indígena"

"[indigenous reserves] are an obstacle to agri-business. You can't reduce indigenous land by even a square meter in Brazil"

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
They need to put the strictest sanctions and invade if necessary. I can't imagine all the nations in the wild just being cool with this.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This cartoon is 30 years old:

greenhouse_deforestation_cartoon1.jpg

The issue is hardly new.

This is pretty spot on. Bolisnaro seems like an awful person/world leader but who is the west to tell a South American country that they can't do what they want with their land when we sit in houses pumping AC air, drive gas guzzling cars, consume oil to heat us in the winter and leave garbage that helps pollute the world. (US is worse than Europe in this but Europeans are still living lives that contribute to the destruction of the environment) All while having destroyed huge swath's of our own forests as we were developing industrially. Modern economies are not great when it comes to the environment and we're all killing the planet by the ways we like to live yet we make ourselves feel better by being outraged about the Amazon and wanting to save it.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018

Well, the previous president did a fucking terrible job and there were some scandals I believe. Growth went away and people went for the guy with the biggest mouth and the easiest solutions.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil

the long story short is massive automated fake news machine on whatsapp

the longer version includes a huge campain to make the leftist party turn into the evil that eats children (literally cold war communist hate), most of the country being free to show that they are homophobic and racists assholes (helped by evangelical raise) and exagerated violence reporting making everyone think they are a NRA member.