• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Jair Bolsonaro's crisis-stricken administration has been rocked by the sudden sacking of Brazil's defence minister and the subsequent resignation of the heads of all three branches of the armed forces.

The commanders of the Brazilian army, navy and air force – Gen Edson Leal Pujol, Adm Ilques Barbosa and Lt-Brig Antônio Carlos Bermudez – met with the president's new minister on Tuesday morning and reportedly tendered their resignations during a dramatic and heated encounter. On Tuesday afternoon the defence ministry confirmed all three would be replaced, a political earthquake that rattled a country already grappling with one of the world's worst coronavirus outbreaks.

The Folha de São Paulo newspaper said that never before in Brazilian history had the heads of all three branches of the military resigned out of disagreement with a president.
The historic upheaval, which left many Brazilians on edge, came after Brazil's far-right president fired defence minister Gen Fernando Azevedo e Silva on Monday during what one media report called a chilly three-minute encounter. "I need your job," Bolsonaro told the General, a longstanding friend, according to the Estado de São Paulo newspaper.

Eliane Cantanhêde, a prominent journalist for that broadsheet in the capital Brasília, claimed Gen Azevedo e Silva had left government after making it clear to the president – a former army captain who is notorious for his praise of authoritarians – that the armed forces owed loyalty to the constitution and were not Bolsonaro's personal force.

Bolsonaro had reportedly been demanding the removal of Gen Pujol, who, to the president's apparent consternation, has publicly rejected the politicization of Brazil's military and pushed for tougher restrictions against Covid, which has killed more than 314,000 Brazilians. Earlier this month Bolsonaro – whose handling of the pandemic and opposition to lockdown have been internationally condemned – sparked outrage by issuing a veiled threat to declare a "state of siege".
Bolsonaro's chances of re-election suffered a major blow this month after his nemesis, the former left-wing president Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva, was freed up to challenge him after the surprise decision to quash the corruption convictions against him. "Lula's return to politics changes everything," said his former foreign minister, Celso Amorim. Many now expect Lula to run against Bolsonaro in 2022.
Cantanhêde said Bolsonaro's high-risk gambit to shore up military support – which risks angering key figures within the armed forces – spoke to an increasingly desperate president who was haemorrhaging support, including among Brazil's economic elite, thanks to his "horrific" reaction to Covid. Polls suggest Bolsonaro still enjoys the support of about 30% of the population but is considered the chief culprit for Brazil's Covid calamity by 43% of citizens and rejected by almost half the country. "He is weak," Cantanhêde claimed. "He is cornered."

www.theguardian.com

Brazil on edge as three military chiefs resign after Bolsonaro fires defense minister

Political earthquake rattles country already grappling with one of the world’s worst coronavirus outbreaks

He still has 30% support?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Has Bolsanaro pissed off the Brazilian military enough that they'd throw their support behind another candidate, maybe Lula?

He used to be an officer right; does he still have much support with the broader military even if the Generals are abandoning him?

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
That is insane. Imagine that happening in any other country.

Pentagon must be going nuts right now.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the new defence minister said that tomorrow, the day of the 1964 military coup, is a day to celebrate

Lari

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
At least one congressperson called for emergency powers to Bolsonaro so he could directly intervene in each state and end lockdowns and restrictions as he saw fit.

This is going from worse to absurdly worse.

source (In portuguese)

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Has Bolsanaro pissed off the Brazilian military enough that they'd throw their support behind another candidate, maybe Lula?

He used to be an officer right; does he still have much support with the broader military even if the Generals are abandoning him?
Lets not cheer the military cheering on any candidates, even if their better. Shit will always go south

Cow Mengde

Oct 26, 2017
Man, this is scary because my previous manager was a very nice lady. She returned to Brasil around Christmas because her husband got the offer of a lifetime there. Now seeing how crazy COVID is, I hope she's doing well.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
www.theguardian.com

Brazil on edge as three military chiefs resign after Bolsonaro fires defense minister

Political earthquake rattles country already grappling with one of the world’s worst coronavirus outbreaks

He still has 30% support?
I've realized that a large part of the people voting for candidates with openly fascist tendencies just want to see others burning and will continue giving support to their chosen candidate as long as that's happening, even if they don't get anything for themselves.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017

He never did anything of importance during his terrible and pathetic military career that ended up with an expulsion. He was never liked that much by the higher ranks, but they got big benefits (including ridiculous budgets for stuff like food and drinks while everyone else was starving thanks to the pandemic) from him being in power, which is really the only reason they... tolerate him, lets say. These last events confirm so, they do have their limits, but still there is a fraction of military that want to support him. How big is that portion is the problem, I don't think anyone really knows with certainty.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
To those who know more about his profile than me, what are the odds Lula would take action against the Amazon destruction?

Regardless, it seems pretty much anyone on this planet would be better than Bolsonaro. Just one more year!

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To those who know more about his profile than me, what are the odds Lula would take action against the Amazon destruction?

Regardless, it seems pretty much anyone on this planet would be better than Bolsonaro. Just one more year!
high, there's stuff that you could criticize about lula regarding this in the past, but its like comparing heaven to hell comparing both presidents regarding this topic, like the most problematic stuff about this topic to lula was a powerplant in the middle of the amazon and its enviromnent impact, regarding that to today is even cute like "do you remember when we criticized lula because of that powerplant, those are good times", there's not even a powerplant bolsonaro is building anymore to develop the region and the population of that place, is just pure destruction to some people to plant soy and kill natives.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Brasil is also getting daily records of COVID deaths these days and at this rate might overtake the US for most deaths by Fall, if not before.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
high, there's stuff that you could criticize about lula regarding this in the past, but its like comparing heaven to hell comparing both presidents regarding this topic, like the most problematic stuff about this topic to lula was a powerplant in the middle of the amazon and its enviromnent impact, regarding that to today is even cute like "do you remember when we criticized lula because of that powerplant, those are good times", there's not even a powerplant bolsonaro is building anymore to develop the region and the population of that place, is just pure destruction to some people to plant soy and kill natives.
Wholy shit, I really hope Bolsonaro gets kicked out. Thanks for your taking the time to reply.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man I remember arguing with people before the election about this cunt, and their reply was always "How bad could it be? It's time to give someone new a shot."

Yeah, how bad could it be am I right? That's a reasonable justification to elect somebody to the presidency.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Is there anything or anyone this idiot Bolsonaro hasn't made an enemy of himself at this point?

More than 314k covid deaths, good christ.

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
It seems like that 30-35% number keeps showing up across nations these days. A third of people are just shit, it seems

yeah i've honestly been wondering about this.. is it taboo to ask if it might be biological..? faulty narcissistic/psychopathic neuronal wiring?

it's just so weird. you can also bet the same damn people who are most fervently against Covid precautions also hate LGBT people and don't give a single fuck about the climate.

what would we see if we fMRI'd tens of thousands of these asshole brains and compared them to left-leaning pro-empathy people's brains?

Oct 30, 2017
yeah i've honestly been wondering about this.. is it taboo to ask if it might be biological..? faulty narcissistic/psychopathic neuronal wiring?

it's just so weird. you can also bet the same damn people who are most fervently against Covid precautions also hate LGBT people and don't give a single fuck about the climate.

what would we see if we fMRI'd tens of thousands of these asshole brains and compared them to left-leaning pro-empathy people's brains?
This has been done in small samples to show differences, but I haven't seen many studies on it myself.