• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017

Tell me this doesn't make you want to throw down immediately! Those vocals, the drums, everything is just so hype. Then it segues into that gorgeous opera shit. Bless Sakurai.

Smash music appreciation thread I guess?

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Hot take but I'd play Brawl over Melee.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brawl's the worst one and a downgrade in every way from Melee (the roster is incredible, however) that created an artificial divide between casual and competitive players.

But yes, that shit slaps.

Grapezard

Nov 16, 2017
Also the most versatile of the Smash themes. The trophy theme and boss battle themes are the best in the series.

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany

Tell me this doesn't make you want to throw down immediately! Those vocals, the drums, everything is just so hype. Then it segues into that gorgeous opera shit. Bless Sakurai.

Smash music appreciation thread I guess?

One of the single greatest pieces of music in video games, if not the best. God damn, Uematsu hit that one out of the park.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
#1 worst, the only one that *could* reasonably take that spot ahead of it (64) is at least different enough that you'd still wanna play it much sooner than you would have any interest going back to Brawl

Not counting mods of course, Brawl with crazy mods is amazing.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Agreed. Not a fan of the gameplay changes Brawl made from Melee but it was a way more consistent package overall than Smash 4 was.
Smash 4 also has the problem where it is completely obsolete after Smash Ultimate. There is nothing to bring people back. The single player content is an utter joke, and from a competitive perspective Smash 4 is simplistic and, after the DLC, not well-balanced.

Like yeah, Brawl's competitive scene is a joke, but at least it's an interesting joke filled with loads of creative techniques. I'd rather watch two Brawl Metaknights duke it out than any of the Smash 4 cast.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For me Brawl is in the middle. Still better than 64 and Melee to me.
But yea the Brawl Main theme is also still my favorite main theme. Another banger by Uematsu.
The different remixes are great as well.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell is all this 4 shittalking? So weird

Brawl Final Destination theme is still great, one of the best (that Guilty Gear style one from 4 is up there too)
Most of the other stuff like Coin Launcher, Battlefield, training etc were actually kinda lame, lol

Melee Trophy music is still one of my favourite Smash originals. I use it for my Arena room in Ultimate a lot, super chill

AxkilAvenger

Banned
Apr 8, 2018
Greatest theme in my video game experience. I made up lyrics and sang that song out loud daily while waiting for the game to launch

steviestar3

One Winged Slayer
Jul 3, 2018
It's the worst one. The theme sucks too but at least some remixes of it are nice.

Smash 4 also has the problem where it is completely obsolete after Smash Ultimate. There is nothing to bring people back. The single player content is an utter joke, and from a competitive perspective Smash 4 is simplistic and, after the DLC, not well-balanced.

I hate this defense. Is anyone really going back to Brawl to play one of the worst sidescrollers ever? Both games are redundant.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Smash 4 is definitely better than Brawl overall but I won't disagree with people wanting to play Brawl for stuff like the story mode and skipping right on over to Ultimate.

I did like Brawl's slower, more intentional pace over Melee's though, at least at the time. Might have also just been I had more time to play around with it.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the worst one. The theme sucks too but at least some remixes of it are nice.

I hate this defense. Is anyone really going back to Brawl to play one of the worst sidescrollers ever? Both games are redundant.

Smash 4 kind of felt redundant when it came out. It didn't adress nearly enough issues from Brawl and made whole new mistakes on top, like ruining Classic mode.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
You mean the worst one. But yeah the theme is amazing. Also Smash Dojo was the most incredible piece of marketing since Halo2's ilovebees

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's the worst one. The theme sucks too but at least some remixes of it are nice.I hate this defense. Is anyone really going back to Brawl to play one of the worst sidescrollers ever? Both games are redundant.
I mean, I've gone back to it. And it can't be one of the worst side scrollers ever when co-op exists.

There's also boss rush, which is loads of fun with a friend.

I don't think Brawl was a good direction for the series, I think Smash 4 was a good direction... But there is frankly no reason to ever play Smash 4 again, and I think people were a lot more forgiving of some deeply rooted flaws than they should have been until Ultimate's release.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
At the time it was amazing to listen to, but it really got ran into the ground with all the remixes.

Honestly, that's a problem I have with all Smash games post Melee, the majority of their original music are just now variations of the main theme. Smash 64 and Melee had an abundant of unique tracks like Bonus Game, Trophy Tussle, Metal Battle, Duel Zone, and so on. Meanwhile the equivalents of those tracks in later games are just remixes of the Brawl/Smash 4/Ultimate themes.

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Of all the smash themes that got remixed into oblivion in their debut game, Brawl's easily lent itself best to the various remixes in my book.

Oct 25, 2017
There are no bad Smash games imo but my order is:

Ultimate
Brawl/Melee (Depends on if you value content or tighter gameplay more)
Smash 4

Crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
"Brawl is better than 4" is not an opinion I've seem much of yet its all over this thread. I get "Ultimate supplants 4" argument but that doesn't like retroactively render 4 garbage.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
"Brawl is better than 4" is not an opinion I've seem much of yet its all over this thread. I get "Ultimate supplants 4" argument but that doesn't like retroactively render 4 garbage.
Ultimate is missing quite a few features from 4 too (custom specials + stat altering was something I personally had a lot of fun with) so saying Brawl has something to go back to while 4 has nothing is super weird.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Never really was a fan of brawl's opening. The vocals never really fit for me but I think that's just my personal taste in music.

MaverickHunterAsh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Los Angeles, CA.
Hot take but I'd play Brawl over Melee.

The best hot take and an incredibly good first post. So would I!

Anyway, yeah, despite any issues Brawl has (and it does have some) its main theme remains probably my second-favorite in the series, behind Ultimate. MAYBE just barely my third-favorite behind Ultimate and Smash 4, but it'd be really close between Brawl and 4.

EDIT: The Smash 4 revisionist history going on in this thread is wild. A lack of single-player content aside, Smash 4 was phenomenal until Cloud and especially Bayo released, wrecking the balance. But that happened only toward the tail end of its life cycle, and up to then Smash 4 was the best Smash yet... until it was utterly invalidated by Ultimate, of course, which I do agree makes it much more uninteresting to go back to than, say, Brawl and 64. Ultimate's just going to really hard to top. A legendary (and still growing!) roster, best gameplay, mechanics, and balance in the series yet, solid (if too sloggy) single-player content, a phenomenal soundtrack that's as massive as it is consistent despite its size, and (obviously) the series' best graphics to date. I really don't know where they go from here, but I sure hope "a full reboot" isn't the answer.

Last edited:

Deleted member 5127

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never really liked this theme all that much, just sounds depressing for some reason, and reminds me of those awful washed out Brawl graphics.

Lua

Aug 9, 2018
oh hey,how about we put a mechanic that punishes you for moving around in a PLATFORM FIGHTER. How about we also take away any tension from coming out of stage because everyone's recovery is too good. That will sure make the game better.

But yes,the theme is good.Uematsu can do no wrong.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ultimate does have stat altering, in the form of spirits.
Those are just abilities like jump+ or float+. 4 had that too within certain equips, but it also had basic atk/def/speed stat customisation that Ultimate is missing.
You could make Sonic move as slow as Bowser or grandpa Ganondorf jog around at the speed of light. Shit was great