• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a thread for it and previews just dropped fifteen minutes ago. They're super positive and since the game's marketing is very lacking, it's cool to finally have something to talk about.

kotaku.com

Over 10 Hours With Bravely Default II

Bravely Default II offers a return to a simpler time where heroes lined up on one side of the screen, fought monsters on the other side of the screen, and then rinsed and repeated until peace and tranquility were brought back to the land. I’ve spent over 10 hours with it, and while what I’ve...

• In general, I've found Bravely Default II's make up of jobs and abilities to work even better at making use of its unique brave and default system. This system lets you bank turns to be used down the road, or take out a loan to take a bunch of turns early. Sometimes this is just about maximizing your balance of attacking and healing, but in the game's tougher fights I've had to mastermind a spreadsheet of defense buffs, attack debuffs and status ailments to survive and outlast my opponents in drawn out wars of attrition.
  • Bravely Default II is the first game in the series on Switch, and not surprisingly the best looking and sounding one by far. While the 3DS allowed past games to make interesting use of stereoscopic 3D backgrounds, Bravely Default II makes up for that with sprawling dungeons and city designs. I've gone to desert temples, bandit hideouts, mineshafts, magic academies, and yes, even the dreaded JRPG sewer level, but each felt like a delightful new twist on some classic locale rather than simply another tedious homage.

twinfinite.net

Bravely Default II Is Satisfying My Need for an Octopath Traveler Sequel

Like most other 3DS enthusiasts, I was a huge fan of the original Bravely Default. The combat system felt familiar but unique, as the Brave and Default

Whereas Octopath's story structure was disjointed with each character having their separate plots to follow, I find Bravely Default II's straightforward narrative (so far, at least) to be a welcome change from that.

It's still too early to say as I've still got plenty to play through, but at least from what I've seen so far, Bravely Default II is quickly making a strong case for itself as one of the best JRPGs you'll be able to get on the Switch.

www.godisageek.com

Bravely Default 2 is a gorgeous and glorious return for the series | Hands-on preview | GodisaGeek.com

Whilst I've only played a preview of Bravely Default 2, I'm so in love with the world, the combat, and the Heroes of Light.

After the Bravely Default 2 demo dropped, fans were quick to point out various issues they had with it, such as the harsh difficulty and the lack of clarity when fighting enemies. These concerns were more than justified, and to the credit of Claytechworks, they headed back to their virtual studios to rectify the problems people were having. I've been more than excited to finally get my hands on Bravely Default 2. and after playing a preview of it, I can't wait to play the whole game. These issues are apparently fixed, and the pure joy of exploring the fantasy realm of Excillant made me so happy. Whilst I've only seen a small fraction of BD2, I can happily say I've fallen in love with it.
www.thesixthaxis.com

Bravely Default II Preview – Fortune favours the brave | TheSixthAxis

Waking up on a beach must be a scary thought, especially when you’re fairly sure you were spoken to by an ethereal voice after being shipwrecked, but Seth

There were some high expectations for Bravely Default II, especially after the 2 demos released ahead of the game. After playing the first hour of the game, it is clear that this title does not disappoint. It screams "Quality".

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Finally a thread!

I'll quote my post

Why is there no thread for previews? Anyways, it's positively praised.

Combat is great, amazing world, great exploration and fantastic soundtrack. The team who localised Dragon Quest XI are also responsible for localising Bravely Default 2 and it's been praised with great voice acting.

Another thing that has been greatly praised is that side quests are actually good along with amazing voice acting.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
A lot of the previews mention that the game is actually challenging. Not too easy or not too hard.

Nall

Oct 25, 2017
Nice to see the positive impressions. I wish this wasn't coming out so close to Monster Hunter Rise.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like it shaped up nicely. Bringing back Revo for the soundtrack, getting the localizers behind DQXI to do BD2, and its mechanically improved over the last two games. Hope the story is at least half way decent as I fell out of love with BD1 after the big reveal and honestly just rolled my eyes at certain scenarios in the game.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
www.jeuxvideo.com

Preview Bravely Default II : On a terminé les deux premiers chapitres ! Voici nos impressions sur Switch

Après un succès mérité sur 3DS, la série Bravely Default débarque sur Nintendo Switch pour s’ouvrir une nouvelle voie. Les amateurs de JRPG old-school attendent ce nouvel opus avec impatience et nous avons eu la chance de découvrir en avance les deux premiers chapitres pour vous faire part de...
(Exciting, their top preview score, in French)

Apparently they hid a complete card game in a side quest. The reviewer mention the card game from FF8 as a comparison.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A few things learned from those previews:

- Sidequests are fully voiced this time, and the game is localized (both text and voice work) by the Dragon Quest XI team (which is excellent news)
- There's a "load" equipment feature, meaning you have to pay attention to your weight, similar to games like Dark Souls or The Witcher.
- Chapter exploration is fully open-world. Maps are a lot more open in each chapter and you can decide to tackle sidequests rather than main story.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Only read the RPGsite preview but disappointing that I'm not seeing mention about the steps back in UI/QoL design. I love the first game of this series but the demos were a big turn off in the myriad ways they regressed regarding those aspects.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, sounds really good so far.

I sure hope the second half of the game is better than the one in the first game though.

Kiria

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
A few things learned from those previews:

- Sidequests are fully voiced this time, and the game is localized (both text and voice work) by the Dragon Quest XI team (which is excellent news)
- There's a "load" equipment feature, meaning you have to pay attention to your weight, similar to games like Dark Souls or The Witcher.
- Chapter exploration is fully open-world. Maps are a lot more open in each chapter and you can decide to tackle sidequests rather than main story.
Same voice over director? As from what i heard on this the direction is kinda bad

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Same voice over director? As from what i heard on this the direction is kinda bad

RPG site's quote on it:
If you aren't aware, I absolutely love Dragon Quest XI. It's a wonderful game and also features a localization full of charm and brilliant personality in it's characterization. I'm happy to say that the localization team at Shloc and voiceover production at Side UK are also the ones responsible for translating Bravely Default II to English, and they've absolutely killed it. The American-based voice cast for the previous two games certainly has a charm to it, but JRPGs set in a fantasy setting with European based English voice work is something I love to see. They stand out so much, and make it truly feel like you're playing a fantasy game. I've become so endeared to the characters already, and this is also thanks to the staggering amount of voice acting.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Loved the gameplay of Bravely second so I'm looking forward to this

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I had $50 in Best Buy credit expiring so I figured why not. I really didn't like the second half of the first game though.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The commentary on tough boss fights isn't something that makes me warm to JRPGs, and I was wavering on this already, having played BD and the demo campaign of Bravely Second and not being fond of their fourth-wall-breaking stuff either. Hoping for the best still.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I've been feeling sort of neutral on the game despite planning on playing it but this is sounding good so far. At least for the early parts of the game. Though still plenty of playtime for it to fall apart.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
The commentary on tough boss fights isn't something that makes me warm to JRPGs, and I was wavering on this already, having played BD and the demo campaign of Bravely Second and not being fond of their fourth-wall-breaking stuff either. Hoping for the best still.
Thankfully they added difficulty options after the 1st demo feedback. So you can definitely play on Easy.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Thankfully there is casual mode. Nintendo life mentioned how it helped a lot when they were stuck on a certain boss and then returned to normal mode.

OP
OP

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hearing that the game is rather challenging and has a card mini-game has jumped this up to a Day 1 for me.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The writing was on the wall for me after playing both demos. gorgeous artwork, excellent music and a fun battle system and lots of stats to fiddle with. This game will be great. I'm looking forward to see the later locations in the game.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Apparently the game will have around 70 pieces of soundtracks all made my Revo! That's a lot!

No CGI opening though...:(

Mullet2000

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I gotta admit, I somewhat wrote this off due to not digging the first demo and the visuals. But the previews sounds pretty dang good. Back on the radar now.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've always liked the way they handle towns in BD, still not sure on the character art style though. Sounds like there's a ton of changes, so can't fault them for effort. The big guy being called Elvis just makes me laugh though :D

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Glad that it's getting early positive reviews, the BD games are up there with FF and DQ, there's no reason why BD2 couldn't be great as well.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Basically: it's a Bravely game.

I feel like I'm at that point where I don't want excessive difficulty in games so depending on how hard bosses are I might have to play on easy mode. I'd still like a challenge though. Biggest concern I have atm.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Equipment load isn't a surprising addition. The previous games had ratings for different types of gear based on the job, which resulted in different jobs being best with different gear. Equipment load based on jobs feels like a different approach to the same thing. TBD of course whether it actually works as well.

I liked BD1 and struggled to get into BS, so I'm not sure what to expect with this.

Aramon

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I haven't played the demo but really tempting to buy. Previews sounds positive.

I put about 40 hours to Octopath so I got my money's worth.

krossj

Dec 4, 2017
Was always going to give it a try but cool to hear some positive impressions

Hearing that the game is rather challenging and has a card mini-game has jumped this up to a Day 1 for me.

you can try the card mini game in the demo although i think i had to finish all the story stuff before it unlocked.

Otakukidd

The cutest v-tuber
Oct 25, 2017
Has there been any mention of online functions like the first game had. me and a friend had a blast playing the game together sending each other our strangest attacks.