• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
The Asterisk boss experience
D7jQPr8_d.webp
Counter: White Magic in a nutshell, every time

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I never played the original game. I've only played Second and now this. I like how things are balanced on normal so far. I'm not grinding classes much and everything feels challenging but not unfair. I got so used to abusing the encounter modifier in the previous game that I forgot what dungeon exploration actually felt like.

Thief Asterisk fight is kicking my ass though.

There's no obvious strategy like the previous fights. So I'll probably just use all the minotaurs I caught with the Beastmaster job. Feels a bit like cheating, but the Bravely series kinda encourages that at this point.
He can be put to sleep and poisoned, he can't counter while asleep so you can default and build up BP to counter him

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is anyone else finding enemies taking huge amounts of damage immediately when they default? I wonder if it's a bug, I've only really noticed it in late game boss fights. Still wondering what's going on there.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone else finding enemies taking huge amounts of damage when they default? I wonder if it's a bug, I've only really noticed it in boss fights
Like they are taking more damage than they should in default? Or they are taking a big chunk of damage all at once?
If its the latter are you using Godspeed Strike?

Oct 26, 2017
Indiscriminate Rage/Raw Power/Counter Savvy/Unshakeable Will Ranger Adelle has been trivializing pretty much any mob encounters for a bit now...
Just Brave and normal attack spam everything to death.
I do suspect I might run into mobs that punish this approach at some point.

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
Had a bit of a play with my party and found that Shieldmaster/Vanguard makes for a great support member.

Give em dual shields, the Sub Job BP Down and Convert MP, and you've got a solid wall that protects everyone else while also acting like a MP/BP battery.

Their second job specialty gives them MP and BP every time they take a hit for someone, so set them up to use defender of the people and watch them soak up hits easily while racking up resources. They'll usually end up with full BP by the time their turn rolls around. They have a skill to share a third of their MP, and Vanguard can share a BP point - normally costs an extra BP to do, but is free with the Sub Job BP cost down. All that together means you can set up to defend again and share out some BP or MP, all while staying in positive BP numbers.

Doesn't do any damage itself, but all that protecting and support definitely pulls it's weight in boss fights.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Catching monsters is addictive. I think I'm going to pile up on minotaurs because they do some pretty serious damage but does anyone have tips on other good catches? I'm in chapter 2 now.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Indiscriminate Rage/Raw Power/Counter Savvy/Unshakeable Will Ranger Adelle has been trivializing pretty any mob encounters for a bit now...
Just Brave and normal attack spam everything to death.
I do suspect I might run into mobs that punish this approach at some point.
I did run into an enemy that punished me for this, I think it was called Poseidon, it countered physical hits with Blizzaga which Counter Savvy can't dodge

There's another ability in the
Dragoon
job that I think will add to your strategy even further if I'm reading it right (makes attacks that hit all enemies stronger)

Oct 26, 2017
I did run into an enemy that punished me for this, I think it was called Poseidon, it countered physical hits with Blizzaga which Counter Savvy can't dodge

There's another ability in the
Dragoon
job that I think will add to your strategy even further if I'm reading it right (makes attacks that hit all enemies stronger)

I might pick it up if I do another round of JP farming. I'm kinda cruising through the story right now and collected two other Jobs in Chapter 3 that I'm going to let level naturally for a bit.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Should I be using specific types of weapon on specific jobs? Currently using sword/bow/2 staffs but have been changing jobs frequently.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Should I be using specific types of weapon on specific jobs? Currently using sword/bow/2 staffs but have been changing jobs frequently.
Yeah when you go to equip a weapon each weapon type is graded from up to S proficiency, the higher the proficiency the better modifiers you will get from that weapon. Ranger naturally has S proficiency with Bows for example. Some jobs like Thief have lots of weapons at B proficiency but aren't particularly great with any of them which is why people use it as a sub job

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I just noticed all lures except the monster medley one unlocked at shops for me for 5k gold a piece.
There is a lot of things in chapter 6 that the game won't tell you about.

Type VII

Oct 31, 2017
Yeah when you go to equip a weapon each weapon type is graded from up to S proficiency, the higher the proficiency the better modifiers you will get from that weapon. Ranger naturally has S proficiency with Bows for example. Some jobs like Thief have lots of weapons at B proficiency but aren't particularly great with any of them which is why people use it as a sub job

The jobs all have a rating for each weapon type you can see in the jobs menu

Perfect, thanks!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Like they are taking more damage than they should in default? Or they are taking a big chunk of damage all at once?
If its the latter are you using Godspeed Strike?
Ah, that's what it is! Thanks so much- that explains a lot, I only really use it in boss fights.

Speaking of which, the
Phantom
boss fight in chapter four just murderised my team. Time for a respec! :D

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Enemy is called Orc Lord and is in the dungeon inside of the 4th main city. I'm running an auto grind setup dependent on the last job with gambler drop boosts and of course humanoid lures that I bought. My luckiest chain had 6 of them drop and battles are insane fast with the setup.
The job has a passive that instakills monsters 20 levels below you at the start of battle. I basically only run into these things not doing much of anything at get these crit chance buns thrown at me.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Do you know any place where farm EXP/JP in chapter 3?

I just found this method but isn't it a bit slow?

I'm trying this method out, I think it might end up being better than the one I was doing earlier but it takes some patience still as not every single time you attempt a fight will you be able to get the 4 jp orbs.

From what I went through here, to get a job from lvl 1 with 0 jp to 12 using only this method and having the two Freelancer passives takes 31 orbs. This is per job per character. Overall I don't know how useful it is compared to the other method this same channel shared of farming that first rare monster near the first city since after every battle there your entire party gets 357 jp at once with the passives and it's pretty easy to kill the monster using Godspeed strike, you also can save and heal right there since you're in the overworld and not in a dungeon, so you can use tents instead of wasting items or mp for that. Wrote down how much JP it costs to level up, I think it's the same accross all jobs:

1 - 32
2 - 91
3 - 204
4 - 377
5 - 624
6 - 728
7 - 780
8 - 832
9 - 884
10 - 1336
11 - 1940

Going by that you need 7,828 jp to get from lvl 1 to 12. So you'd need to fight that monster 22 times in order to level up a job from 1 to 12 compared to going through 8 fights and getting the 4 medium JP orbs from the mimic chest if you're able to do so.

Only problem is then with regards to time, because since not every fight you are guaranteed to get the JP orbs from the birds before they run away.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
if JP is your only goal that method is def faster but don't forget farming monsters also yields money, exp and dropped items(and depending on where you do it that means stat boosters/lures/or really anything).

So I'd say there isn't as much value in trying to jp farm that chest. Just level up enough to reach chapter 6 and then ask again about farming because at chapter 6 is when you get the real insane tools for farm. That said things you should unlock on the way to chapter 6 are probably maxing freelancer, gambler, beastmaster(for farming) + any combat classes you think you need for your setups.

Also money is semi useful the ribbon headpiece costs a lot especially if you want 4.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Just did my first boss fight in Chapter 4 and...God damn..!!! Music is so good but my god, I got trashed lol. Things are getting more challenging now.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Do the characters have any innate strengths and weaknesses? Like is Elvis in particular a good mage or do they just happen to start him as a black mage?

Rurmelly

Jan 31, 2018
I really loved Octopath Traveller, but never played a Bravely Default game. Would this be a good place to start? Bravely Second is very cheap on 3ds, not sure if that's worth entering through (BD1 is pretty pricey).

Mr. Wonderful

Oct 27, 2017
I do wish at this point that they would start putting more budget/time into the towns, dungeon design, and story.

The original Bravely Default got a bit of a pass from me as it was a new IP, a bit of a novelty doing throwbacks to older FF games. Even with that game though, it got frustrating that towns were literally interactive pictures and of course the story was a bit weak. I would love to see them go all in and start making Final Fantasy IX type pre-rendered environments. Give me Lindblum again, for example. And to spend more time on story. There's no reason at this point that they can't.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Some of the post game challenges seem to be tuned hardcore for the opness of stat insanity of freelancer/beastmaster or maybe the godspeed strike setup I'm running just isn't broken enough, but 1 of these boss fights actually manages to 1 round(fully braved) fully buffed limit break passive equipped freelancers with all jobs maxed stat boosts.

It's pretty wild still beat it though but I was 1 round away from losing.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I do wish at this point that they would start putting more budget/time into the towns, dungeon design, and story.

The original Bravely Default got a bit of a pass from me as it was a new IP, a bit of a novelty doing throwbacks to older FF games. Even with that game though, it got frustrating that towns were literally interactive pictures and of course the story was a bit weak. I would love to see them go all in and start making Final Fantasy IX type pre-rendered environments. Give me Lindblum again, for example. And to spend more time on story. There's no reason at this point that they can't.

the towns are good as they are, don't need to waste anymore time in them than necessary. And the panoramic views of the cities are just gorgeous, I prefer it over traditional towns.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a weird decision to keep a dedicated button for Brave but not one for Default.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Oh man.. Lily is kicking my ass. I decided to go to her first instead of Roddy because I knew she was a Ranger and that is my fav class in most rpg games. I'm level 21 but I may need to grind to 25 or just switch up my strategy. I got her down to her cut scene and then she just destroyed me.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Just started Chapter 2, and I am really loving this game.

The difficulty on Hard is perfect. Boss fights can be difficult, but not too hard if you come in with the right jobs. I'm liking the cast too, Adele and Elvis are fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing whatever Bravely wackiness is going on with Seth.

My only complaint is that while the soundtrack is indeed great, I do find it kind of disappointing compared to the first two games. Even Bravely Second had way better boss tracks than this.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Just started Chapter 2, and I am really loving this game.

The difficulty on Hard is perfect. Boss fights can be difficult, but not too hard if you come in with the right jobs. I'm liking the cast too, Adele and Elvis are fun, and I'm looking forward to seeing whatever Bravely wackiness is going on with Seth.

My only complaint is that while the soundtrack is indeed great, I do find it kind of disappointing compared to the first two games. Even Bravely Second had way better boss tracks than this.

Damn, I 100% disagree with you on this one. While I do love the original soundtrack and it has one of my favorite tracks of all time (You Are My Hope, Wicked Flight, Ba'al Battle Theme), II is more consistent. The first one maybe has higher highs but it isn't as consistent as II.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Damn, I 100% disagree with you on this one. While I do love the original soundtrack and it has one of my favorite tracks of all time (You Are My Hope, Wicked Flight, Ba'al Battle Theme), II is more consistent. The first one maybe has higher highs but it isn't as consistent as II.
I guess it's mostly the Asterisk boss theme's that have me feeling down. Like, the one's from the first two games go HARD, while the ones in this game are just good.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Played the demo...what is going on with the default attack animation? It's like they spasm before attacking.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City

The towns are a stylistic choice and personally I love the hand drawn backgrounds, so I wouldn't want them to change into fully 3D environments. I do think they could make them bigger, though. Maybe divided into districts. Dungeons, I agree. Usually they are pretty boring.

As for story, the original was actually a very good subversion of the genre and classic FF imo. Especially in the later half it did some interesting things. I know people hate on the repeated bosses and areas, but I always found it an exaggeration considering you could turn all encounters off entirely and bosses changed things up considerably every time. And like I said I ended up loving how meta it got.

I didn't finish BS so I can't say if the story was good or not. So far this one seems more generic but we'll see, as it does sound like people enjoy the late game.