• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
i kept adelle at freelancer until she maxed, just to have 1 character with those skills -- that body slam skill is pretty awesome at clearing out a few enemies right at the start

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
I am in love with this game

It's basically How Many Ways Can You Become OP And Break The Game: The Game
The original was the same and so fun too. If you didn't play them, the 3DS ones even let you send attacks other players could summon and vice versa so it was wild seeing exactly how much damage you could stack up or what other people sent.

It's also why I didn't mind the repeat boss fights in the original. Not only did the bosses use new strategies and have new party setups, but by that point you could use a bunch of new job combos and strategies against them. It wasn't just a copy/paste of the same fights.

So are we thinking if this sells well they'd port the 3DS ones over? Because I would really like to finish Bravely Second but dont want to go back to my 3DS lol.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So are we thinking if this sells well they'd port the 3DS ones over? Because I would really like to finish Bravely Second but dont want to go back to my 3DS lol.

Strongly doubt it. There's reasons why we haven't seen many 3DS "ports," not least which because they'd basically all have to be complete remasters, with UI overhauls to account for the single screen, redone textures, etc.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Strongly doubt it. There's reasons why we haven't seen many 3DS "ports," not least which because they'd basically all have to be complete remasters, with UI overhauls to account for the single screen, redone textures, etc.
Yeah I think it's way more likely we'd see a BD3 than a BD Remastered.

Closest thing to that is perhaps The Alliance Alive HD?

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
The Asterisk boss experience
D7jQPr8_d.webp

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My Job setups for mid-chapter 4. Choices are based primarily on the outfits I liked which I then fit builds around lol:

MC- Thief/Salve-Maker: Because Thief can't gain BP from defaulting after its second specialty, you're going to be taking a lot of turns as they come. I find this setup allows you to make great use of Salve-Maker's excellent support item options whenever needed while nuking with Godspeed Strike to fill the rest of the time. Both stealing BP for yourself or granting BP to someone else also becomes possible with this setup, which is pretty fun against bosses that like to stock up or who counter the rest of the squad.

Gloria: Bastion/Shieldmaster- Shieldmaster's Defender of the People is a really excellent way to guarantee being targeted, while Bastion helps to both reduce damage and generate BP quickly, which gives her a lot of flexibility with her turns, whether it's loading up on attacks, buffing herself or casting one of her barriers and then healing herself up. I also sometimes use Shieldmaster/Swordmaster which basically has the same advantages but relies on a really effective counter based play style, but Bastion is visually more appealing.

Elvis- Spiritmaster/White Mage: Spirtmaster is busted as hell at 12 lmao. Pretty much never have to cast spirits manually, so that's free party wide heal/MP regen/cleanse almost always up. White Mage helps to top off big hits and bring people back up while Spiritmaster's Banishga and Holy allow him to maintain an offensive presence on free turns. Reraise is dope too.

Adelle- Black Mage/Arcanist/Red Mage: She just does a shit ton of damage. Red Mage's chainspell specialty is tempting, but I think it looks ugly so I go for the more consistent Black Mage. Arcanist is hot garbage as a main sadly (when specialty 2 unlocked my heart honestly sank) but dark coverage is good to keep in the pocket.

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
Loving that you actually need to use strategy to beat bosses. So sick of RPGs you can just button mash through everything.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Currently at Chapter 4 and things are getting intense.

Also, I love how spoilt we are with the choices of jobs. So many combinations, so many opportunities to break the game lol.

By the way, is it me or does the fan in the Switch go louder/faster with this game? I have played 100% in handheld mode but the fan is definitely noticable.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Loving that you actually need to use strategy to beat bosses. So sick of RPGs you can just button mash through everything.

what part of the game are you at? I'm in chapter two and feel like I don't need to use any specific strategy to beat bosses. I just switch all my characters to freelancer and destroy anything that comes my way.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I've got myself into the stupid position of having like 5 jrpgs on the go at the same time again lol...

Puggles

Sometimes, it's not a fart
Nov 3, 2017
what part of the game are you at? I'm in chapter two and feel like I don't need to use any specific strategy to beat bosses. I just switch all my characters to freelancer and destroy anything that comes my way.

Really? I just finished chapter one and got destroyed the first time I faced any boss. After picking the right jobs and equipping the right items they were doable but still not easy. I switched off freelancer for everyone the second new jobs were available so maybe I'm just making it harder on myself lol

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a list of job 2nd specialities? Up to chapter 2 is fine. I just want to know what job to max out.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
what difficulty are you playing on? In the middle of chapter 2 myself and this seems like a good recipe to get slaughtered on hard. Unless you're grinding JP out the ass to max every class and that's caused Freelancer to have insane stats with it's max level specialty or something

Oct 25, 2017
what difficulty are you playing on? In the middle of chapter 2 myself and this seems like a good recipe to get slaughtered on hard. Unless you're grinding JP out the ass to max every class and that's caused Freelancer to have insane stats with it's max level specialty or something

I agree with you. Freelancer feels OP if you're grinding a ton, but even early Chapter 3 expects the players to have less JP than is necessary to master two jobs (so you wouldn't have any bonus to Freelancer if you're "on curve").

When the enemy is attacking more frequently, it can be a giant liability to be stuck with the limited use cases of Misc rather than something that stacks better like buffs/debuffs.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

Tales of Symphonia which I'm luckily right near the end of

Persona 5S, Trails of Cold Steel 3 and this i'm all still near the start of

Persona 3 Portable which I've played a million times before but I was getting the urge again

Saga Scarlett Grace i would guess I'm maybe half way through but it's hard to tell

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I am 60 and have all available jobs maxed and got destroyed by a sidequest boss time to go back to the drawing board I love it.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Tales of Symphonia which I'm luckily right near the end of

Persona 5S, Trails of Cold Steel 3 and this i'm all still near the start of

Persona 3 Portable which I've played a million times before but I was getting the urge again

Saga Scarlett Grace i would guess I'm maybe half way through but it's hard to tell

How can you juggle so many different RPGs at once? I can only do one game at a time!

Weebos

Oct 25, 2017
Are the only people you can play BnD with in the Gaming Hall? Are there more throughout the game?

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

i switched to hard because normal was too easy. Each character has around 4 maxed classes.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the end of chapter 1 but boy does this game feel grindy. The boss of that chapter was one shotting me like no one's business and I didn't think I was that under leveled.

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I never played the original game. I've only played Second and now this. I like how things are balanced on normal so far. I'm not grinding classes much and everything feels challenging but not unfair. I got so used to abusing the encounter modifier in the previous game that I forgot what dungeon exploration actually felt like.

Thief Asterisk fight is kicking my ass though.

There's no obvious strategy like the previous fights. So I'll probably just use all the minotaurs I caught with the Beastmaster job. Feels a bit like cheating, but the Bravely series kinda encourages that at this point.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Finally finished the prologue after maxing Freelancer. The game is soooo good at what it does. The characters are quickly growing on me and the whole sequence at the end of the prologue was excellent. I dont want to stop playing haha.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to the end of chapter 1 but boy does this game feel grindy. The boss of that chapter was one shotting me like no one's business and I didn't think I was that under leveled.

It's basically never going to be about being under-leveled, assuming you aren't avoiding all encounters. Whether you struggle with a boss or breeze over them is always going to come down to your party build and strategy.

Are you talking about the Berserker? You can dispel their Berserk status with a Freelancer, thus significantly reducing their damage and making them very manageable.

With a lot of bosses, you'll also want to deal the last ~20-30% of their health in one round, ideally, so they can't benefit from their critical status buffs.

Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
I'm still on chapter 1, taking it slow (trying to get all the item drops from every enemy, cutting grass, doing sidequests) but so far I'm really liking the game.

Unlike the first one, it's clear that the heroes don't kill the asterisk holders (always find them very interesting, the bard and the vanguard are my favorites so far). The job costumes are also fantastic.

The starting plot seems even more straightforward than BD1's (warriors of light have to gather the crystals to prevent the calamity, villain triea to claim them all for personal gain) and it's obvious that there will be a twist, but I'm enjoying it so far. The characters are nice, even the most boring one (Gloria) is tolerable.

English is not my primary language so I'm a bit confused about all the accents (Elvis sounds a bit weird, kinda French or something, and Dag is supposed to be australian or something? I don't know) but other than that the voice acting is serviceable. Not having Agnes is a plus.

My only real complaint so far is the lack of auto-battle. That would come in handy

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
The trumpet with a mute that features in the town and overworld tracks for Chapter 2 is kind of annoying, it goes so hard that it sounds like a kazoo.

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
So, I keep doing sidequests even though their rewards are paltry. Should I not waste my time with them? Seems like there's no xp reward for completing them either.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
So, I keep doing sidequests even though their rewards are paltry. Should I not waste my time with them? Seems like there's no xp reward for completing them either.
From what I've found it's worth it to do the sidequests with voice acting, which seems to indicate they're more important. These tend to involve more significant rewards, or lead you to additional locations like optional dungeons, or are otherwise worth doing just for the story component.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's basically never going to be about being under-leveled, assuming you aren't avoiding all encounters. Whether you struggle with a boss or breeze over them is always going to come down to your party build and strategy.

Are you talking about the Berserker? You can dispel their Berserk status with a Freelancer, thus significantly reducing their damage and making them very manageable.

With a lot of bosses, you'll also want to deal the last ~20-30% of their health in one round, ideally, so they can't benefit from their critical status buffs.
I assumed as much with the builds based on the prior two games, but one shotting multiple characters per turn is a few steps beyond that. I do avoid a lot of fights and don't do many side quests so that's probably much to blame.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Oh thank god this fucker ran out of MP. I didn't know that could happen to bosses. It felt good to just wail on this asshole and he can't do anything back.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished the prologue, monk went down again with little issue and I haven't been grinding whatsoever - imo breaking the game this early takes some of the fun out of it. Seth already had a special attack available as I entered the fight and I didn't even end up using it. Where's that challenge reviews warned me about damnit. (I know it's coming but so far they made a way bigger deal of it than it really is)

I very much enjoyed the ending sequence and the title splash. Quite an introduction for a villain.

Edit: got to say, it was funny how Adam was supposed to annihilate my party, yet kept casting some water-type sword spell to Elvis who had an ice charm, so he ended up damaging himself every turn. Rinse and repeat a bunch of times because Sloane would step in and revive Elvis each time he died of some other attack.

Last edited:

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
English is not my primary language so I'm a bit confused about all the accents (Elvis sounds a bit weird, kinda French or something, and Dag is supposed to be australian or something? I don't know) but other than that the voice acting is serviceable. Not having Agnes is a plus.

Elvis is Scottish, Dag is...what people think Australians sound like lol. Adelle sounds quite similar to FFXII's Viera, which was Icelandic accents. There's a French NPC later on that I've run into so far

Altrich

Apr 5, 2018
Never played the series but would like to rectify that.
Out of all the three games which one do you like the most and why?
I have my 3ds/ switch ready for whichever game you guys recommend the most

FYI i like jrpg in general, FF, DQ, BoF, Suikoden, Tales, Etrian, etc but leaning towards anything that can be crazy min max -ed / crazy OP. One of my most satisfying accomplishments was min max ing my party and annihilating ur-child in Etrian Oddysey II untold

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
FYI i like jrpg in general, FF, DQ, BoF, Suikoden, Tales, Etrian, etc but leaning towards anything that can be crazy min max -ed / crazy OP. One of my most satisfying accomplishments was min max ing my party and annihilating ur-child in Etrian Oddysey II untold
Never got that far in the first game and never played the second, but BD2 sounds like the perfect game for you. There are so many busted setups to choose from even early on, including one that's so busted that it might actually be a bug.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Some card battle opponents unlock from finishing their sidequest btw.
Also JP earned secretly carries over if you unlock a job limit. My freelancer had after the limit unlock their full abilities but my other jobs were uneven right at 13 and 14.

Edit: Tip if you reached chapter 6 be sure to visit Martha in the Grotto again she will have the quest for a growth egg so be sure to get that before you max out on everything else and making it obsolete.

Last edited:

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, this game is good. The battle system is much more flexible and faster than the first two games, and it doesn't require you to be endgame or close to it before you start to break it wide open.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Man, this game is good. The battle system is much more flexible and faster than the first two games, and it doesn't require you to be endgame or close to it before you start to break it wide open.
What I like about it is that every time I think I'm overpowered and get complacent, I run into a dungeon where, even if I'm in little danger of getting wiped, the enemy is tough enough that it's clear I could be dealing with them in a better way. Combine that with constantly switching jobs to get characters to learn new classes, and it's constantly fresh tactics. So many RPGs where I've just spammed the attack button after a certain point but here It's actually more efficient to constantly find and abuse new synergies.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
The game is so good!

Just got the pictomancer and leveled it on everyone for the sub job BP saver. Now my Adele can use that with the monk subclass for even more disgustingness (so far).

Can't wait to continue tomorrow, this should make the wait for MH Rise more bearable

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I love the chapter 6 challenges might just be I'm scaling very well to everything currently still around 67 in level balance wise on hard I'm getting my ass kicked if my setups are countered so it feels really cool to come back and then destroy.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Spent three full hours in the sewers and I'm still not at the boss. Game straight up has probably double the effective encounter rate of the second highest rate I've seen in the probably upwards of 150-200 jrpgs I've played in my life. Every one of them is still red for me too, despite having fought every enemy in my path to this point including optional dungeons. Possibly the grindiest game I've played in ~20 years that isn't also some silly GoaS/gatcha/mobile thing.

Still, I prefer it to what I was dealing with in chapter 1. I was dealing with a whole lot of shit I couldn't stand while never getting any solid payoff for my work. Here I'm at least getting some solid combat in random encounters. They're still not what I would consider difficult even on hard fighting purely red fights. But I'm having to put forth some effort and use a larger variety of abilities than I was early on. I've now got the job levels to have some decent ability options. And the game has given me enough gear drops/chests that I could ignore most of the first chapter 2 shop and just buy a bunch of ethers instead.

Now all I need are some solid boss fights and I can maybe find some consistent joy in the game, even if I am still extremely disappointed.

Andsello

Jul 31, 2020
Do you know any place where farm EXP/JP in chapter 3?

I just found this method but isn't it a bit slow?