• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
So im in the first dungeon, the house, and i have the ability to see how many chests are left in that floor. In the lower floor of the house it points to me missing 3 more chests but the place is pretty small anf i cant find anything.
Is there something im doing wrong or is there an ability to find hidden chests im missing?
There's another downstair later in the dungeon.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
Deep into persona 5 strikers on PlayStation when a family situation came up.

And travel time is switch time. Picked this up. Reading this over it sounds like I should have been foraging

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if there is an Asterisk tied to expeditions. The tutorial expedition I did got me a key item called the pretty stone that even got a party chat dialogue about it, apparently a beautiful but broken stone.. I'm wondering if there is a way to fix it and it becomes a job

ZeroHunter

Aug 6, 2020
So how's everyone feeling now about the switch from round-based turns to individual turns? I know it was a very divisive decision before release and I'd say it seemed like most existing fans of the franchise weren't fond of the idea based off what I saw.

For me it's the absolute game changer I thought it would be. Entirely a personal taste thing for sure, but I find myself enjoying the standard enemy encounters a lot more this way in particular. In the first two games I eventually got worn down pretty badly by inputting all the turns at once, and I do know there were a lot of QoL options to simplify that process but it just never worked that well for me. I was never entirely sure that this was my issue with the first two games (I didn't dislike those games but I did sort of have to force myself through them after certain points), but after 15 hours in this game and enjoying every second of it (as well as loving Octopath Traveler's battle system) I'm starting to understand that I think I like this way a lot more.

Yeah at first I wasn't so sure going to a more traditional turn based approach compared to the old way, but I think I'm starting to prefer it now. The old way locks you in no matter what, so if an enemy disrupts your plan you just wasted a turn. Battles in BD2, on the other hand, allow you to be more reactive to battles and let you change strategies on the fly. I find that it makes battles more dynamic and engaging.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Maybe I just SUCK big time but I feel like the game basically forces you to try different comps throughout the game cause I seriously can't beat two asterisk holders in a row without even grinding the newly-acquired asterisk. I can't rely on old comps to power through the bosses.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Yesterday I have completed the prologue. I can already see the complexity behind the gameplay. I played the original BD years ago, so I already knew that, but it is always nice to see it.
Now I am already finding the battles more difficult than in the prologue, I must be much more cautious than before. Do you have suggestions about how leveling up classes, which ones should be prioritized, in order to have the best set up?

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Ranger's
Second specialty is CRAZY for normal monster encounters. If you manage to get a crit and the kill with the slayer ability you get 2 BP from one attack

Oct 25, 2017
It turns out there is an Underdog Bonus for JP, as well? Looks like it is based on the total amount of accrued (and not wasted) JP, with the only characters getting it are Gloria and Elvis both of whom I had as a capped class (WM/BM) for two of the late Chapter 2 boss fights. That means the early parts of Chapter 3 likely have an expected target JP of about 1.5-1.8x the amount of JP that it takes to master one class. Level 22/23 is underleveled for Exp bonus for my entire party. I'm on Hard, but I don't think it makes a difference for any of these numbers.

Maybe I just SUCK big time but I feel like the game basically forces you to try different comps throughout the game cause I seriously can't beat two asterisk holders in a row without even grinding the newly-acquired asterisk. I can't rely on old comps to power through the bosses.

There's a lot of nuance to the game, and bosses do progressively get more demanding in terms of understanding the mechanics. There's an inflection in power from Tier 1 (Rank 1-4), Tier 2 (5-8) and Tier 3 (Rank 9-12), and also gradually increasing demand on blending passives and tweaking your gear. I think you can mostly get by on the Tier 1 skills up until mid Chapter 1, and only at the end of Chapter 2 do I think the game really demands that player are starting to learn some of the big damage moves in Tier 3.

I've never felt like the game has been over specific on using the newest jobs for the next bosses.

So how's everyone feeling now about the switch from round-based turns to individual turns? I know it was a very divisive decision before release and I'd say it seemed like most existing fans of the franchise weren't fond of the idea based off what I saw.

For me it's the absolute game changer I thought it would be. Entirely a personal taste thing for sure, but I find myself enjoying the standard enemy encounters a lot more this way in particular. In the first two games I eventually got worn down pretty badly by inputting all the turns at once, and I do know there were a lot of QoL options to simplify that process but it just never worked that well for me. I was never entirely sure that this was my issue with the first two games (I didn't dislike those games but I did sort of have to force myself through them after certain points), but after 15 hours in this game and enjoying every second of it (as well as loving Octopath Traveler's battle system) I'm starting to understand that I think I like this way a lot more.

This is a giant improvement, but I'm usually pretty down on Round Based RPG systems anyway. I've played hundreds of RPGs at this point, and Round Based systems often fail to capitalize on the nuances of the game's battle system and mechanics. Boss battles are consistently more engaging and demanding than anything I encountered in my (incomplete) playthroughs of BD1 and BS.

Last edited:

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
I started Chapter 2 at ~18, was level 20 by the end for the first dungeon there.

As I suspected, ya'll doing some serious grinding and/or intense sidequesting. =D

I just finished chapter 1 at level 14 and that's having fought every enemy in my path, gotten every chest in every dungeon, completed most of the sidequests in the prologue including the optional dungeon, and usually having everyone alive at the end of all the fights I've never run from. I assume there's an optional dungeon (and I know there's an optional boss) for chapter 1 but that's probably a level or two max and it's considered optional by the game for a reason.

Still not sure what classes I want to run. Hrrrm.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I did not see that coming

What the fuck!? Adelle is a fairy!?! I didn't see that coming at all lol...

Oct 25, 2017
As I suspected, ya'll doing some serious grinding and/or intense sidequesting. =D

I just finished chapter 1 at level 14 and that's having fought every enemy in my path, gotten every chest in every dungeon, completed most of the sidequests in the prologue including the optional dungeon, and usually having everyone alive at the end of all the fights I've never run from. I assume there's an optional dungeon (and I know there's an optional boss) for chapter 1 but that's probably a level or two max and it's considered optional by the game for a reason.

Level matters more than it did in OT, but it isn't that important, thankfully. Tweaking Job/Passives/Equipment is key to pushing your damage and defense higher than raw level does.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Weird, since what you've listed is basically all I've been doing as well, with the addition of Chapter 1 side quests.

The couple of short JP farming sessions I've done have been at the prologue beach, so not getting any substantial EXP from that.

I have used a few Monster Treats when running through some of the dungeons normally, but only occasionally.

FWIW, most people I've seen listing their levels have been in the upper teens when ending Chapter 1. You're way on the low end, for whatever reason.

SavoryTruffle

Oct 31, 2017
Weird, since what you've listed is basically all I've been doing as well, with the addition of Chapter 1 side quests.

I usually assume these kinds of differences are due to habits being formed over time that get thought of as normal and imbued into language as such. Like, I don't actually know what basically, all, addition, couple, short, substantial, some, normally, occasionally, most, seen, ending, and way mean here with any real precision. Good chance we'd disagree on specific meanings (which actions would fall under which category) with many of those terms.

I don't think I want to know what ya'lls job levels look like.

Homura

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 20, 2019
Just started Chapter 1, I'm seven hours in and I'm loving the game.
Do we know how old are the characters? Elvis seems old in his concept art but the ingame model looks way younger lol

Last edited:

Trigger

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
What's the deal with the Wiki-Wiki enemy? I'm thinking it's something like a Metal Slime from DQ or the Golden shadows from Persona. They always retreat before I can do anything to them. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
What's the deal with the Wiki-Wiki enemy? I'm thinking it's something like a Metal Slime from DQ or the Golden shadows from Persona. They always retreat before I can do anything to them. 🤷🏿‍♂️
They give a lot of exp when beaten. I managed to beat them usually with a character equipped with a dagger spamming Vanguard's earth element attack, and they can be hurt with Fire spells, the bigger the better (probably others too but they are the ones I used)

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I never got around to playing the first one specifically because it was too large to download digitally and I didn't want the loli fairy box.

Do I need to go into this game knowing anything from the first?

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I never got around to playing the first one specifically because it was too large to download digitally and I didn't want the loli fairy box.

Do I need to go into this game knowing anything from the first?
No it's completely separate from previous entries

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Welp, getting Indiscriminate Rage (Berserker's level 11 passive) on everyone has just totally broken all non-boss encounters.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Started playing with thief and I got a Giant JP orb when I booted up. I used it and went from level 1 thief to level 10 lol. The thief has some useful passives like mug but I don't really like the stats. I'll probably max it out for a few characters though because of the useful passives and some abilities.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Very early chapter 3 speculation:
That guy was clearly a necromancer and now this dragon is following the "stink of death" of a lot of human lives being taken at once... but the town is full of people and seems completely normal but still stinks of death.
The entire town is dead and being reanimated aren't they?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Started playing with thief and I got a Giant JP orb when I booted up. I used it and went from level 1 thief to level 10 lol. The thief has some useful passives like mug but I don't really like the stats. I'll probably max it out for a few characters though because of the useful passives and some abilities.

IMO thief is one of those jobs that really begs to be used as a sub job for something else similarly speedy. I like the outfit so I use it on the MC anyway, but I find it basically begs to be equipped to something else with better specialties and proficiencies. Godspeed Strike is really strong though, people shouldn't sleep on it

Oct 25, 2017
IMO thief is one of those jobs that really begs to be used as a sub job for something else similarly speedy. I like the outfit so I use it on the MC anyway, but I find it basically begs to be equipped to something else with better specialties and proficiencies. Godspeed Strike is really strong though, people shouldn't sleep on it

I've found that Godspeed really benefits from Thief's turn order/speed and accuracy. Whiffing on a Godspeed after spending all that MP suuuuucks.

Just started Chapter 2, level 17, Normal.

Chapter 2 was a jump up from the end of Chapter 1, so I went back to the beach to get this ability and glad I did.

And Chapter 3 was another jump up that made my feeling of being powerful fade real quick.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
This is what runs through my head every time I cross paths with a character who is clearly in possession of an asterisk based on their outfit:

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Finally went back and beat that rare aquatic monster on the beach, stole a really good sword from it too (Icebrand, easily the strongest weapon I've found)

This is what runs through my head every time I cross paths with a character who is clearly in possession of an asterisk based on their outfit:

Lmao I love it

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I tried to capture rares but wasn't successful. I figure this is not possible? In the description it says capture doesn't work on stronger enemies but I was thinking bosses.

Yeah I was thinking the same. The speed stats are great but risky still. should be mostly used as a sub for the abilities I think.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

After the party has been through town

200.gif

Dag is too wholesome😭

taco543

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fresno CA
bought the game and got super excited to play on my lunch, come to find out it didnt download because my sd was full :/

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Went back and defeated the Nightmare rare enemy near Savalon and stole the Dark Robe from it, so it seems each rare enemy has a good equipment drop. If you went in with a good tank character drawing all the aggro you could easily rob the enemy blind and flee if you aren't strong enough to beat them normally yet.

Nightmare was a fun one, hit like a truck and was super fast but Gloria kept using Artistry to lower its attack, Adelle kept stealing its speed buff and granting BP to Elvis who was using Red Mage's Healaga (guaranteed 3900 damage) 8 times per turn to bring it down lol

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hooooly shit some of these Dragoon skills, goddamn some of these sound super broken.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've just beaten the boss at the end of chapter 3, but it seemed like he did a ton of damage to himself in the fight, without me having any reflect ability up that I can think of. Still trying to figure out what it was. Resistances just absorb rather than reflect, so it wasn't that either.

Jimmy Joe

Aug 8, 2019
What's the best place to farm for JP very early without overleveling?

I found a little vid of a dungeon to the north of the first town where you can sort of herd the enemy like cats into a 10-or-more stage continuous battle, and that gives an absolute ton of JP and next to no EXP, so right now I'm thinking that

I don't want to max out everything. Pretty much just the Freelancer for everyone, then I'll just play as normal without grinding again

Edit: I see now that you can do stuff on that beach, which is what everyone was talking about

Last edited:

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I just stole a bow from a rare enemy using the trick I mentioned earlier and it's super powerful but its weight is 55, higher than the max limit for every single one of my characters. Definitely an endgame weapon haha

I guess the weight limit is partly there to stop you doing exactly this, I have noticed that equipment is getting progressively heavier the better it is

calloumiii

Sep 14, 2018
I've just got to the end of chapter 3, and I'm still having a blast with the game. I got slightly carried away and maxed out all the jobs except the ones given during chapter 3, but I'm still underleveled regardless due to using the fish method in the starting area. The gameplay is really opening up with all of these jobs now available to play with, though I'm making a point of avoiding using freelancer for now since it'll be super-buffed.

Story-wise I think it's beginning to really pick up as well, especially over the past couple of chapters. The tone aligns more with BD1 than BS, which isn't necessarily better makes for a change of pace since BS was the last game I beat before starting BD2.

pronk

Oct 26, 2017
I hated the demo of this, and although I played quite a bit of the original 3DS game I don't think I ever 'got' it, and didn't realise you need to switch up your party setup to exploit the bosses.

Playing this one I think I finally get it, and actually the graphical style that I hated in the demo has massively grown on me and I'm really enjoying it. The combat got way too easy for a bit in the first area, but now on the way to the second town it is a real challenge again, and a lot of fun. The enemies look great and are really well animated too.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, the comments won me over. Despite looking like the ugliest thing ever created this game seems to be godlike and a worth sequel for the original games. Just bought and I'm ready to dive in.

Fauve

Oct 28, 2017
Does anyone have any impressions on the hard mode in the game? Does it feel fair> And how does it compare to normal mode?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone have any impressions on the hard mode in the game? Does it feel fair> And how does it compare to normal mode?

As far as I know, the main (only?) thing difficulty mode changes is enemy speed (i.e., how many turns they get).

I'm playing on Hard and it's not too bad as long as you're willing to change up your team sometimes. If you lose to a boss, you probably know exactly what went wrong and how to fix it.

BD2's turn system allows battles to be more dynamic / reactive than BD1 too IMO.

Fauve

Oct 28, 2017
As far as I know, the main (only?) thing difficulty mode changes is enemy speed (i.e., how many turns they get).

I'm playing on Hard and it's not too bad as long as you're willing to change up your team sometimes. If you lose to a boss, you probably know exactly what went wrong and how to fix it.

BD2's turn system allows battles to be more dynamic / reactive than BD1 too IMO.

Only speed is affected? That's interesting. I'm glad they didn't go the way of just making enemies more spongy in this case. And the turn system when I played the demo was pretty damn jarring too, so I'm hoping I'll get used to it.

b3llydrum

Feb 21, 2018
I am in love with this game

It's basically How Many Ways Can You Become OP And Break The Game: The Game