• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Would you still like it if you never used capture? I often ignore beastmasters because I don't enjoy capture gameplay but this game does seem to emphasize hybrid classes in single class design. Like Zerkers also seem to be Pirates and Beastmasters seem to have notably good skills aside from capture.
I haven't really been using capture either, once you get the passive ability that has a chance to automatically capture enemies on defeat I haven't used capture since and still managed to get a sizable stable on monsters.
Plus it really opens up your skill choices, for example if you are doing the JP farming trick on the beach at the start the ability allows you to capture the flans that have the Acid ability that lowers all enemies physical defense. One of the monsters I caught in chapter 2 gave Veilga which increases the whole parties evasion, its really handy

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
My Freelancer has better stats than Beastmaster and I've only mastered 4 (maybe 5) jobs per person. Seems OP.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Weird that theres as much hate for the counters as I'm seeing. I love it! Makes me approach boss fights cautiously and switch up my gameplay when I find out what the counter is. Felt like a genius when I found out the bard (I think) only countered Brave'd spells but not singular ones. Very easy to take advantage of since the AI are clearly adjusted for this gameplan as well

Deleted member 69942

User requested account closure
Banned
May 22, 2020
I am considering to get the game. I liked Octopath as well. That said how is it? I played the first one a bit but quit mainly as I got spoiled by the Switch :p. So dunno how this one is?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy to report my team of 3 vanguards and a bard triumphed over the berserker boss. I do not think I'll repeat this strategy again but it was fun.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
I sympathise with this opinion a lot. I (obviously) have a special place for FF in my heart though, so I would love to see FFV in this style. I loved the character engagements in both this and the original, and I can't help but feel that something similar would bring FFV to life.

I mean if it did happen I would be extremely happy about it because I can't name anyone else would do a better job than Asano.

It would definitely be a treat that's for sure.

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
Are chests worth it anymore? I feel like every other one has an enemy encounter hidden in it, and I'm often going from opening a chest to immediately cutting the grass next to it and lucking into a better item. I'm missing the feeling of finding hard to reach chests with meaningful rewards in them in this game, which makes the exploration/dungeon design seem like a step back.

Also, can you no longer steal from bosses? Every boss fight it seems their pockets are empty which just makes me feel like I wasted a turn even trying (or worse, building up a thief special only to get nothing).

I'm only wrapping up chapter 2 though, so maybe these change?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Are chests worth it anymore? I feel like every other one has an enemy encounter hidden in it, and I'm often going from opening a chest to immediately cutting the grass next to it and lucking into a better item. I'm missing the feeling of finding hard to reach chests with meaningful rewards in them in this game, which makes the exploration/dungeon design seem like a step back.

Also, can you no longer steal from bosses? Every boss fight it seems their pockets are empty which just makes me feel like I wasted a turn even trying (or worse, building up a thief special only to get nothing).

I feel like I got some pretty decent stuff from chests in the optional dungeons like the miasma woods but yeah usually the stuff that you buy or get from cutting grass is better

The only boss so far I've seen with a stealable item was the end of Chapter 1 boss, none of the bosses in chapter 2 had anything to steal. I guess they don't want to penalise people too much for not always having a thief in the party which I respect in a way. Rare monsters seem like the big steal targets to me, I know Leannan Sith in the first area has a dagger way better than most weapons pre-chapter 2

kpup

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 27, 2017
The only boss so far I've seen with a stealable item was the end of Chapter 1 boss

Ok cool, maybe I missed reading that. Combat at 4x speed makes the text go by way too quickly, which also makes battles harder when you can't read what you were specifically countered by... I wish there was an option to speed up animations but not text boxes.

And yeah I haven't really done any stealing at all in normal / rare encounters so that's on me.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

There's some neat stuff to find from time to time. That's why I always go after them even though most of them are items you can find easier elsewhere.

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, quest developers. That packed lunch sidequest in chapter 1 was very phenomenal, running back and forth between same two NPCs three times (town to dungeon, dungeon to town, repeat two times). And they were both actually self-aware that it was annoying. At least the reward was ok.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe how OP freelancer is once you start maxing out jobs. I switched to four freelancers at the end of the chapter 1 boss and destroyed him in like 4 turns.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
For bosses I switch to four freelancers and a traditional Tank, DPS, Healer, Mage setup for the sub-jobs. I'll probably continue to do that for the rest of the game as I continue maxing out jobs.

SkywardBeam

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I have to admit it's getting harder and harder to not choose freelancer as the main job for boss fights when it's like +100 on stats.
This. I'm still in chapter 1, so I don't know if the difficulty ramps up significantly later on, but I'm at the point where my Freelancer party destroys the bosses with standard attacks. Take Monk, Bard and Vanguard as sub-jobs and watch bosses getting annihaleted in a few turns. But I think that's actually very nice, as you can make the game as easy or difficult as it pleases you. Always good to give the players options.

On a side note, that 'All or nothing' specialty of Gambler sucks big time. Makes the job grind rather annoying.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I wrecked Bernard with my team. That one was surprisingly easy especially now that I have maxed out Vanguard , Freelancer and Monk jobs for some serious damage. Hit a 10 elemental a couple of times too with the Gambler. He had no chance whatsoever.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'm guessing the game wasn't designed around people grinding for JP++ for hours at the start, or for 100+ captures for a beastmaster.

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Gloria looked best in the
Pictomancer outfit
at first, but Adelle looks the same...but with purple tights! and she really does look best in everything honestly

I haven't got that one yet, but, soon! Gloria though, has some mad hat game none of the rest match

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I did it for like two hours. Just fought the second boss in Chapter 1 and one-turned them on Normal.

You get 0.5 attack/defense, 5 HP and 1 MP per capture. And then like 0.05% crit chance and other stats as well.

Mercy Strike -> Capture, with Lunar + Solar Powered.

Is it per capture that you currently hold, or lifetime captures? If it's the latter that sounds like a bug, as that not only makes it the best class in the game but it also makes Freelancer's long-term investment stat growth gimmick obsolete.

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 1 Sidequest question:
Am I supposed to be able to win that card game sidequest boss battle when first encountering it? I'm getting destroyed right now.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the last boss of chapter 1 at level 21. But I did grind to max out a few jobs and unlock JP+/++.

Psh, and you called me overleveled earlier? :P

I started Chapter 2 at ~18, was level 20 by the end for the first dungeon there.

First area's beach is nice to farm JP at since you get very little EXP. (But the EXP curve in this game seems really well-balanced, such that it's hard to be overleveled for long. The threshold for monsters to run away from you is just really generous.)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Am I supposed to be able to win that card game sidequest boss battle when first encountering it? I'm getting destroyed right now.

You should be able to
If you have a monk with pressure point you take out at least one of the guards with a double brave straight off the bat

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Some can, there's a lot of randomness in the fight. I came back in the middle of chapter 2 to clean it up.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Psh, and you called me overleveled earlier? :P

I started Chapter 2 at ~18, was level 20 by the end for the first dungeon there.

First area's beach is nice to farm JP at since you get very little EXP. (But the EXP curve in this game seems really well-balanced, such that it's hard to be overleveled for long. The threshold for monsters to run away from you is just really generous.)

I'm level 26 and just arrived at the second town ... 🤣

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I've not done any grinding whatsoever and I'm having a blast with the game. There's an appropriate amount of difficult in boss battles where I feel actively threatened for the duration of them. I've also not mastered any jobs since I keep swapping people around for those sweet, sweet outfits. I nearly have Vanguard, White Mage, Black Mage, and Monk mastered on some characters though!

Just got Beastmaster, looking forward to testing it out on a non-grinding team.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Get sleep immunity and max out the freelancer jobs on at least 2 characters to do body slam for heavy damage on the sidekicks. Just cure and default and hit when the freelancers are ready. Can be random depending on how the boss rolls the dice but ultimately I beat them with freelancers and white mages.

Oct 25, 2017
I was way way underleveled (started Chapter 2 at level 12) and am now only slightly underleveled (enemies were red in the final bit of Chapter 2 at level 21).

It doesn't seem like Bravely Default II has done that well...so I wonder if now its the time to move the team onto a FFV remake. I think they'd do an incredible job.

It will probably eclipse a million. Word of mouth seems really good.

My Freelancer has better stats than Beastmaster and I've only mastered 4 (maybe 5) jobs per person. Seems OP.

That's not really OP. You are forfeiting any post-battle JP if you keep going back to classes you've already mastered and are capped on, and 5-jobs per person is very late-game anyway.

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm dual wielding two different weapons, do both weapon types apply to enemy weaknesses when attacking?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
I hope they never waste their time with FFV personally, not unless they were going to completely redo the story, characters, music, world...

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
You should be able to
If you have a monk with pressure point you take out at least one of the guards with a double brave straight off the bat
I'll try that, but I think I don't have the DPS...
Get sleep immunity and max out the freelancer jobs on at least 2 characters to do body slam for heavy damage on the sidekicks. Just cure and default and hit when the freelancers are ready. Can be random depending on how the boss rolls the dice but ultimately I beat them with freelancers and white mages.
I only have Lv9freelancer on everyone, so that's not possible for me.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I was way way underleveled (started Chapter 2 at level 12) and am now only slightly underleveled (enemies were red in the final bit of Chapter 2 at level 21).

It will probably eclipse a million. Word of mouth seems really good.

That's not really OP. You are forfeiting any post-battle JP if you keep going back to classes you've already mastered and are capped on, and 5-jobs per person is very late-game anyway.
I only sit with a job I've mastered for boss battles. Always keep learning!

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I'd love the Bravely team or Octo/Triangle team to do a remake of both FF5 and FF6. Just update the graphics to 2D HD and add some voice acting and both games are ready to go.