• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In some reviews / impressions I read that people were getting wiped after 30+ min of doing a dungeon. Is that mostly avoidable by playing on Casual? I'm not looking for a super hard challenge, min maxing stuff, etc. A breezy but occasionally strategic JRPG seems great, but want to avoid the huge difficulty spikes & wipes.
I'm not sure what such reviews would be talking about. Save points are generous, and there are teleportation points to and from the ends of dungeons. You aren't going to lose progress if you wipe to a boss.

You can play on Casual. It's very fast and easy to farm JP to master jobs at your leisure. And there's any number of broken job combinations at any point in the game to minimize difficulty if that's what you're after.

It also autosaves whenever you change screen, by default anyway😏

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I might get this eventually, but I have a question. Does this game still have the customization of the previous games where you can set encounter rate etc? I loved that about Bravely Default because it allowed you to choose when you want to grind and when you want to just get through a dungeon without being stopped every 5 to 10 seconds.

BD2 doesn't have random encounters like its predecessors, and thus doesn't have any such encounter rate customization.

It does, however, have items that make all enemies run away from you -- effectively removing encounters. And the level deficit at which enemies naturally run from you on-field is forgiving anyway; the lower level enemies in any given dungeon you get to will likely already be running.

This game has an encounter chaining mechanic (consecutive battles with multiplied JP gains), and items called Monster Treats which force said chains. JP gains also don't increase with enemy difficulty, so you can go to the starting beach, pop an aquatic monster treat, and farm hundreds of JP per chain at 4x speed to master jobs very quickly. (Jobs also take about half the JP to master in BD2 than BD1.)

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
BD2 doesn't have random encounters like its predecessors, and thus doesn't have any such encounter rate customization.

It does, however, have items that make all enemies run away from you -- effectively removing encounters. And the level deficit at which enemies naturally run from you on-field is forgiving anyway; the lower level enemies in any given dungeon you get to will likely already be running.

This game has an encounter chaining mechanic (consecutive battles with multiplied JP gains), and items called Monster Treats which force said chains. JP gains also don't increase with enemy difficulty, so you can go to the starting beach, pop an aquatic monster treat, and farm hundreds of JP per chain at 4x speed to master jobs very quickly. (Jobs also take about half the JP to master in BD2 than BD1.)
Dang. I kind of like that there is no random encounters, at the same time I loved choosing when you wanted to grind. At least you can still farm JP easy if you want to.

Oct 25, 2017
In some reviews / impressions I read that people were getting wiped after 30+ min of doing a dungeon. Is that mostly avoidable by playing on Casual? I'm not looking for a super hard challenge, min maxing stuff, etc. A breezy but occasionally strategic JRPG seems great, but want to avoid the huge difficulty spikes & wipes.

Like others have said, bosses always have a save point before, and there are some warps. There's a repel item that makes enemies not really aggro to you so if there's ever any risk you can just use that or teleport out.

The only progress I've lost is when I'm try to do chain battles inside a dungeon rather than on the overworld (where you can just save between encounters).

Casual likely seems like what you want. This is still going to be more difficult (and likely substantially so) than any of the Final Fantasies 4 or later, but there's really a ton of depth in the battle system and jobs. Pretty much all of the jobs start getting a really great active and a really great passive at like Rank 8 and beyond, which makes most jobs viable for contributing to the party.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my god... That fresh fish trick in the prologue, setting the battle speed to max and just mashing A, I'm getting everyone the JP up freelancer passive in like no time. Gonna try to get the second passive too, probably won't take more than an hour.

Though at times I feel like the game is about to break by how fast I'm going through battles.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh my god... That fresh fish trick in the prologue, setting the battle speed to max and just mashing A, I'm getting everyone the JP up freelancer passive in like no time. Gonna try to get the second passive too, probably won't take more than an hour.

Though at times I feel like the game is about to break by how fast I'm going through battles.
Honestly I've found the game to be pretty good at keeping up with me. Just when I think my team is slightly too strong, I stumble into a dungeon where I start to struggle a bit until I've reorganised my team, usually down to the mix of immunities and counters it contains, or needing a slightly different team setup. That's what I love about this game, I'm constantly changing things up and it means it feels constantly fresh.

Another tip for this game- get in the habit of re-organising your team before you go into a boss fight. They are often fairly long, having solar/lunar powered on your casters will go a long way if you think about how many MP you are regenerating over the course of along battle. Some skills are way more useful in boss fights too.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I've found the game to be pretty good at keeping up with me. Just when I think my team is slightly too strong, I stumble into a dungeon where I start to struggle a bit until I've reorganised my team, usually down to the mix of immunities and counters it contains, or needing a slightly different team setup. That's what I love about this game, I'm constantly changing things up and it means it feels constantly fresh.

Another tip for this game- get in the habit of re-organising your team before you go into a boss fight. They are often fairly long, having solar/lunar powered on your casters will go a long way if you think about how many MP you are regenerating over the course of along battle. Some skills are way more useful in boss fights too.

Oh no, I meant literally break the game. Not make it easy, make it crash. When you're mashing A during the fastest battle speed all of the voice clips and animations and all of that fly by so quickly that it almost feels like the processor can't keep up at times.

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
The demo has me jonesing for a "old school" jrpg like I played in my younger days. I haven't played one in a long time since my dad gaming time is somewhat limited. Would you people who have played them all recommend this over Octopath? Or another game all together? I grew up on Final Fantasy and I would probably put FFII (american) in my top 5 all time

Bravely Default scratches the itch a lot harder I feel like.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I know you have to suspend your disbelief and critical thinking to enjoy story telling in video games. Whether it's a relatively light hearted "ragtag group bands together to save the world!" type thing or something that DEMANDS you take it VERY SERIOUSLY as ART (Sony's stuff), I can usually do this.

But this game did touch on one of my pet peeves: when they have someone who is supposed to be a soldier/adult/hero/something along those lines and then that character has the emotional intelligence and ability of a young child in a cut scene for comic relief. There's a side quest from the prologue where Adelle wants to kill a wolf so trade routes can open and deliver the butter for the dish to a restaurant because she's "Sooooo hungry!!" Obviously this makes no sense and I can't suspend my disbelief far enough to imagine she's really that stupid.

There was a similar instance in one of the Fire Emblem games on 3DS where a soldier was like "OMG I DON'T KNOW HOW TO MAKE A CUP OF TEA I'M SO CLUMSY BUT I'LL KEEP TRYING FOR YOU SENPAI" where this person was just tactically eliminating MFers like 10 minutes before.

/end rant.

Aside from that, I'm still really enjoying this. It's the portable JRPG fix that I didn't quite know I needed.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was asking earlier about the Nuisance ability and what status effects it can trigger when using spells
Turns out using Fire triggers
Doom
Lmao

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh no, I meant literally break the game. Not make it easy, make it crash. When you're mashing A during the fastest battle speed all of the voice clips and animations and all of that fly by so quickly that it almost feels like the processor can't keep up at times.

You don't even need to mash A, you can use Y to repeat what your guy did last time.

Apollo

Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pulling the plug on quadruple beastmaster, but leaving the difficulty on hard as penance for my sins. It had to be done

Surprised few has figured out how disgusting broken thieves are with the godspeed skill. Beastmaster has nothing on Thief
2 Thieves are guaranteed 1 turn boss kills from level 20-25 and onwards with decent passives/gear

Beastmaster/Thief sub is really good and the best of both worlds, my speed was still extremely high, so I could make great use of Godspeed. Was my primary DPS for chapter 2/3. I think thief is a great sub job especially because I don't care for the second specialty at all

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its absurd that anyone spent the time to grind up high enough level to beat that "unbeatable" boss at the end of the prologue lol

Oct 26, 2017
At the start of the game I was a bit miffed about the amount of grinding the game seems to require of the player...
I just got Pictomancer, looked at its passives and went: "hmm, maybe I can grind that out for everyone real quick".

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Am I right in deducing that the Berserk status makes the boss completely ignore 'chance to be targeted' stats and just attack randomly?

I think my strat to counter this is going to be to build an entire party of vanguards lol

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I just thought of something. Does Bravely Default II have to be on while I put the Switch into sleep mode to get all the rewards for sailing? Like can I turn on sailing, turn the game off and play something else?

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Finished the game in ~40 hours, 10 or so of those grinding levels and job levels. Freelancer on all my ~70 characters was just gamebreaking with all subjobs levelled up to 12 and the remaining bosses were not a real challenge outside of the last one, only because its mechanics sucked hard.
While the very end of the game was the standard Bravely fuckery, I'm a bit more mixed about the 2 or 3 hours that were before that point. It felt... unnecessary and a bit infuriating.
Overall, a good time with the game but I had a better time with other recent JRPG, either from Persona 5 or DQ11, that are miles ahead of BD2.

People in the comments are like "so amazing they thought about the weirdos that would level up to this point" but to be fair, you can keep all your levels and job levels in NG+. So it gets a shit ton easier to do it then and almost everyone that finished the game could get this bonus ending.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Finished the game in ~40 hours, 10 or so of those grinding levels and job levels. Freelancer on all my ~70 characters was just gamebreaking with all subjobs levelled up to 12 and the remaining bosses were not a real challenge outside of the last one, only because its mechanics sucked hard.
While the very end of the game was the standard Bravely fuckery, I'm a bit more mixed about the 2 or 3 hours that were before that point. It felt... unnecessary and a bit infuriating.
Overall, a good time with the game but I had a better time with other recent JRPG, either from Persona 5 or DQ11, that are miles ahead of BD2.

People in the comments are like "so amazing they thought about the weirdos that would level up to this point" but to be fair, you can keep all your levels and job levels in NG+. So it gets a shit ton easier to do it then and almost everyone that finished the game could get this bonus ending.
How many chapters where there ? How was the story overall ? I do not mind spoilers. Have you enjoyed it overall ? What parts were infuriating? And why ?

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
How many chapters where there ? How was the story overall ? I do not mind spoilers. Have you enjoyed it overall ? What parts were infuriating? And why ?

Oof. That's a shit ton of spoilers to discuss in order to answer all those but I'll try to split them if people want some answers but not all.

I have a doubt but I think the correct number is 7 or 8 (+ the prologue). Prologue and chapter 1 to 4 are the meat of the game, then each chapter after that is more or less a dungeon + a boss (with some story cutscenes around).

I liked the overall story up until a certain point.

The first chapters tend to be centered around a city each with the story really being around the problem the city has. I didn't expect the stories to be so dark and grim but they were really entertaining. The 2nd part of the story (post chapter 4) came back to the standard "being of pure evil wants to destroy the world and the warriors of light want to stop it" and it was not really good.

I liked what I played but it might be my least favorite of the franchise. The gameplay is still very good and it's still fun to find new ways to break the game with the jobs but some mechanics don't work/are not sufficiently explained (turn order, enmity, enemy level...). It gets really grindy at times but the grind itself is pretty easy if you find the right spots. It also feels like it has some difficulty spikes for no reasons.

As for what I really didn't like:

The game throws you a false ending (pretty much standard at this point). You reload the save, get a new cutscene, gets a new chapter. Then a second false ending, because just one wasn't interesting. Reload the save, gets another cutscene, fight a new (cool) boss. Then, it felt they give no real indication what to do. I stumbled around the world for 2 hours before finding the solution doing something else completely, which kinda feels undeserved. After a new dungeon and the final boss, the game asks you to AGAIN reload your save to get another final cutscene that doesn't really add much (kinda expected ending).

So pretty much, game, I know you want me to see your credits. But stop fucking with my time, I don't need to see them 4 times. At least it's not the "do the 4 dungeons again and again" that the first one did back then.

Also, some bosses have some nasty mechanics that you understand the moment you wipe/understand you lost too much resources and have to start the fight again. I managed to completely overpower some of those by sheer luck or some stupid setups that canceled them. I had a boss fight that went ok but lasted almost 40 minutes (and not 40 fun minutes, it was just chipping the health of multiple mobs one at a time). It's weird because most of the times, bosses are balanced and really fun to mess with. But some just aren't.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Full game spoilers, I have a question.

I saw the leaks, what's the context for the FF7 boss theme playing?

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Oof. That's a shit ton of spoilers to discuss in order to answer all those but I'll try to split them if people want some answers but not all.

I have a doubt but I think the correct number is 7 or 8 (+ the prologue). Prologue and chapter 1 to 4 are the meat of the game, then each chapter after that is more or less a dungeon + a boss (with some story cutscenes around).

I liked the overall story up until a certain point.

The first chapters tend to be centered around a city each with the story really being around the problem the city has. I didn't expect the stories to be so dark and grim but they were really entertaining. The 2nd part of the story (post chapter 4) came back to the standard "being of pure evil wants to destroy the world and the warriors of light want to stop it" and it was not really good.

I liked what I played but it might be my least favorite of the franchise. The gameplay is still very good and it's still fun to find new ways to break the game with the jobs but some mechanics don't work/are not sufficiently explained (turn order, enmity, enemy level...). It gets really grindy at times but the grind itself is pretty easy if you find the right spots. It also feels like it has some difficulty spikes for no reasons.

As for what I really didn't like:

The game throws you a false ending (pretty much standard at this point). You reload the save, get a new cutscene, gets a new chapter. Then a second false ending, because just one wasn't interesting. Reload the save, gets another cutscene, fight a new (cool) boss. Then, it felt they give no real indication what to do. I stumbled around the world for 2 hours before finding the solution doing something else completely, which kinda feels undeserved. After a new dungeon and the final boss, the game asks you to AGAIN reload your save to get another final cutscene that doesn't really add much (kinda expected ending).

So pretty much, game, I know you want me to see your credits. But stop fucking with my time, I don't need to see them 4 times. At least it's not the "do the 4 dungeons again and again" that the first one did back then.

Also, some bosses have some nasty mechanics that you understand the moment you wipe/understand you lost too much resources and have to start the fight again. I managed to completely overpower some of those by sheer luck or some stupid setups that canceled them. I had a boss fight that went ok but lasted almost 40 minutes (and not 40 fun minutes, it was just chipping the health of multiple mobs one at a time). It's weird because most of the times, bosses are balanced and really fun to mess with. But some just aren't.
Damn. Thanks for the in depth explanation. Why are they still doing this with the endings and uneven boss fights. I still remember that from Bravely default 1. and also the boring repetitive stuff. And the red herrings.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aight so I'm about three hours in and this game definitely has the same vibe as Bravely Default did at the start, but the thing with making a big send up to old school JRPGs is that you gotta go somewhere with it.

I'm not asking for specifics, or even that what happens is good or bad, I just want to know if the story goes somewhere instead of just being about plucky heroes lighting the crystals to fight the dark lord at the end.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Its absurd that anyone spent the time to grind up high enough level to beat that "unbeatable" boss at the end of the prologue lol

Considering you can forage spam for exp orbs while the guest one shots everything, it probably doesn't take that much grinding to pull off. Each orb is like 500 exp and just grinding to get JP++ on everyone I had like 95 after like 2-3 hours of JP farming. That's not even considering that the boat can farm exp and jp orbs for you while you sleep/work.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also who the hell's the guy who made it so that item descriptions would block the stat screen when you select them.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Damn. Thanks for the in depth explanation. Why are they still doing this with the endings and uneven boss fights. I still remember that from Bravely default 1. and also the boring repetitive stuff. And the red herrings.

I don't know. I really liked what they did with Second back then but to be fair, it has been a while and I might remember it incorrectly.
I might have to replay it because the way I remember it, the twist and the overall levelling process in Second felt way better than here.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I don't know. I really liked what they did with Second back then but to be fair, it has been a while and I might remember it incorrectly.
I might have to replay it because the way I remember it, the twist and the overall levelling process in Second felt way better than here.
So Bravely Default 2 is sometimes even a step back ? That is sure something. I never finished Second unfortunately.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Push in on the left stick (L3) my friend! I asked the same question when I first came to the thread.

Thank you.

So Bravely Default 2 is sometimes even a step back ? That is sure something. I never finished Second unfortunately.

Bravely Second had a lot of mechanical improvements but didn't get as received well as Bravely Default, so it's possible if not likely they based all their ideas off of the first game. I think Valkyria Chronicles went through the same thing where the fourth game was patterned off the first at the expense of the ideas of the two middle games.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Bravely Second had a lot of mechanical improvements but didn't get as received well as Bravely Default, so it's possible if not likely they based all their ideas off of the first game. I think Valkyria Chronicles went through the same thing where the fourth game was patterned off the first at the expense of the ideas of the two middle games.
Was there a special reason Second was received less favorable then the first game ? That would make sense though. Using the first as the base for Default 2.

DoctorPlayer MD

"This guy are sick"
Feb 4, 2021
Brazil
Just started playing, have 3 party members and got a companion (Sir Sloan) who's a beast in battle. With him I managed to beat a flower fairy boss, now off to rescue the princess.

Some other bosses trounced me, though. Guess I'll have to come back later. Hopefully all areas will be accessible in the end game.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France

I've read some interview were they said they were sorry that Second was so close to the first one so they changed things.
The things they added here were hit or miss so they kinda cancel out. And the story has highs and downs. I'd say it's a better time than the first Bravely Default but I liked the ending of the first one more. I think it boils down to preferences. It's not a bad game, by far. It does some things differently where it was not needed and is too close to the source material sometimes where they should have not. Overall, it's a good game for people that love JRPG but not the one I would recommend to people that don't or are not familiar with the genre.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Was there a special reason Second was received less favorable then the first game ? That would make sense though. Using the first as the base for Default 2.

Off the top of my head it's because the tone was more overtly comedic (I thought to the game's benefit, but w/e) and it reused the same world map from the previous game on account of being a direct sequel, and Default already got heavily dinged for its repetition.

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Too early to compare to the first game but I can safely say I like this more than second

My biggest complaint so far is honestly the resolution, characters look very fuzzy at times

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
I've read some interview were they said they were sorry that Second was so close to the first one so they changed things.
The things they added here were hit or miss so they kinda cancel out. And the story has highs and downs. I'd say it's a better time than the first Bravely Default but I liked the ending of the first one more. I think it boils down to preferences. It's not a bad game, by far. It does some things differently where it was not needed and is too close to the source material sometimes where they should have not. Overall, it's a good game for people that love JRPG but not the one I would recommend to people that don't or are not familiar with the genre.
I think I also read an interview about this. It seems that they used some weird decisions sometimes. Still wondering why they killed of the random encounter button in the settings as well. The whole bravely franchise seems to be very divisive.

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
Off the top of my head it's because the tone was more overtly comedic (I thought to the game's benefit, but w/e) and it reused the same world map from the previous game on account of being a direct sequel, and Default already got heavily dinged for its repetition.
The tone was very grim in the first so the more comedic approach sounds like a good decision. The world map was not huge. And as you already mentioned a lot of it was re used. Especially before the game ended.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
I think I also read an interview about this. It seems that they used some weird decisions sometimes. Still wondering why they killed of the random encounter button in the settings as well. The whole bravely franchise seems to be very divisive.

They tried a new thing with enemies on the map instead of random encounters. It kinda works but it doesn't have the modularity of the past system.
Good point to the new system though: you can decide which type of enemy you want to fight and it comes with consumables that only buff said encounters. It's the best way to grind and you can grind really early with it.

That said, sometimes you get into fights you don't want. Either because enemies are too fast, because they block paths or because you can't see them in the background (the game has a shit ton of technical issues and some maps are a pain to see through).

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
They tried a new thing with enemies on the map instead of random encounters. It kinda works but it doesn't have the modularity of the past system.
Good point to the new system though: you can decide which type of enemy you want to fight and it comes with a consumable that only buff said encounters. It's the best way to grind and you can grind really early with it.

That said, sometimes you get into fights you don't want. Either because enemies are too fast, because they block paths or because you can't see them in the background (the game has a shit ton of technical issues and some maps are a pain to see through).
Enemies on the map are a double edged sword. Tales of games having similar issues. Sometimes they are blocking the way and you cannot skip them at all. Like you mentioned. Or straight running into you.

Oh yeah you mean using food and chaining. I used that to. To master the freelancer job. That is very useful.

And having issues seeing the enemies happened already to me. That is very annoying. Sometimes you cannot see anything at all. The camera view on the world map is also awfully away from your characters.

Laserbeam

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
My copy arrived yesterday and I put a few hours in today and this already just feels like such a nice, cozy warm hug of a game to me.

I guess it is precisely what I was in the mood for.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Enemies on the map are a double edged sword. Tales of games having similar issues. Sometimes they are blocking the way and you cannot skip them at all. Like you mentioned. Or straight running into you.

Oh yeah you mean using food and chaining. I used that to. To master the freelancer job. That is very useful.

And having issues seeing the enemies happened already to me. That is very annoying. Sometimes you cannot see anything at all. The camera view on the world map is also awfully away from your characters.

Yeah, the camera on the world map is atrocious. Some maps tend to be too "crowded" with colorful elements (like the dungeon above the first city) and enemies like to sneak in said elements. Add to that the framerate, the aliasing and the micro freezes and it's sometimes hard to avoid things.

The best way I found to farm (even late game) was around the town of chapter 2 with insect consumables. At night, a chain of 4 gets ~250JP and 2K xp. With the freelancer JP+ skills, a team of berserkers that can kill all enemies in one or two attacks and some skills like the Pictomancer one, it's just mindless A-button mashing to get to very high level and level up every job.