• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
The description for the Mark of the Void accessory says it disables Exp gain for the wearer, but it disables it for the entire party. Seems like a bug since the side quest gives you 4 total.

Apr 19, 2018
My shipment of the game got delayed till Tuesday, but has anyone been playing the game on Casual from the off? How's the difficulty been?

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So I saw you can have a sub-job and decided to have black mage as a sub job for Gloria and to have seth keep his vanguard job as a sub for now, what are the limitations for these? Do they not level up or maybe they no longer learn any moves by being sub-class?

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I'm midway (I think) through chapter 2. "Body Slam" on Freelancer and "Pressure Point" on Monk seem busted, at least this early on. They absolutely tear through normal encounters and are easy ways to do 1500-ish damage on bosses despite any defenses they might have.
So I saw you can have a sub-job and decided to have black mage as a sub job for Gloria and to have seth keep his vanguard job as a sub for now, what are the limitations for these? Do they not level up or maybe they no longer learn any moves by being sub-class?
They don't gain JP and you don't get the base class bonuses from them, just the skills.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm midway (I think) through chapter 2. "Body Slam" on Freelancer and "Pressure Point" on Monk seem busted, at least this early on. They absolutely tear through normal encounters and are easy ways to do 1500-ish damage on bosses despite any defenses they might have.

They don't gain JP and you don't get the base class bonuses from them, just the skills.
I see, thanks

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

sub-jobs allow you to use the jobs' skills in battle but they don't level up from experience.
So it's ideal to put one of your maxed out jobs as a sub job, and then try to level up other jobs while continuing on.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
How's the story in this game? I love everything about how it looks but all the recent "retro JRPG" stuff out of SE seems really weak and generic on the story front

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
How's the story in this game? I love everything about how it looks but all the recent "retro JRPG" stuff out of SE seems really weak and generic on the story front

It's not weak but nothing groundbreaking so far. It should be noted that Bravely games are known for their twists and meta stuff so I'm sure we'll get to know more as other gamers progress.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Fairly standard so far (near end of chapter 1) but I'm enjoying the characters and party dynamics. And as has been said, Bravely default has a history of starting out more standard and then introducing crazy ass twists as the game continues near the midpoint and the end

thetrin

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Man, I 'm so glad that I had Gloria and Elvis switch between Black Mage and White Mage for a bit, so they know have both Lunar Powered and Solar Powered. Helps so much on MP consumption.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I 'm so glad that I had Gloria and Elvis switch between Black Mage and White Mage for a bit, so they know have both Lunar Powered and Solar Powered. Helps so much on MP consumption.
Lunar and solar powered are such amazing skills. Frankly worth getting both on each character even if you only ever need one equipped at a given time. There can be some long fights where ensuring you still have mp throughout is super critical

GarudaSmiles

Dec 14, 2018
While the story itself hasn't been too noteworthy up through I'm guessing 2/3s through chapter 2. The writing has been quite solid. I appreciate the more serious tone when compared to Second which went overboard with the slapstick.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Hey does the OST include some tracks from the original? I feel like I've heard some tracks from the first game in review videos, but I don't know if they 're just using their favorite tracks or if they're actually in the game

Apr 24, 2018
I still haven't gotten around to Bravely Default I/Second Layer yet, both of which I already own. (Most) 3DS games just came at a really bad time for me where I seemingly missed out on playing virtually every big release that I was interested in...but that still didn't stop me from buying some games for it, though!

Will keep tabs on Bravely Default II and likely pick it up one day; admittedly, I found Octopath Traveler kinda underwhelming and not sure what to expect with this series. Hope everyone playing is having fun!

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Hey does the OST include some tracks from the original? I feel like I've heard some tracks from the first game in review videos, but I don't know if they 're just using their favorite tracks or if they're actually in the game

I confess I haven't played either of the original games in quite a while but nothing strikes me as familiar so yeah, I suppose they must've used music themes from the first agme.

I still haven't gotten around to Bravely Default I/Second Layer yet, both of which I already own. (Most) 3DS games just came at a really bad time for me where I seemingly missed out on playing virtually every big release that I was interested in...but that still didn't stop me from buying some games for it, though!

Will keep tabs on Bravely Default II and likely pick it up one day; admittedly, I found Octopath Traveler kinda underwhelming and not sure what to expect with this series. Hope everyone playing is having fun!

As someone who got to play all three games and found Octopath Traveler to be subpar, I find Bravely Default absolutely stellar.

skullwaker

Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wasn't intending on picking this game up so soon (or even at all, potentially) but something told me to get it today. I liked Default well enough but I had some issues with its writing/characters and the pacing, and never fully finished it so I was hesitant on this game.

I've only played through the prologue so far but I'm really glad I decided to pick it up! I'm having a ton of fun with the combat and I'm liking the characters/story so far and they don't seem too over the top, which is always a worry for me with JRPGs. I'm excited to play more of it!

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
For the gambler class, is the elemental Reels move considered physical or magical?

it just says elemental damage unlike black magic which says magic attack or the first skill which says physical attack, so idk which it does

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
For the gambler class, is the elemental Reels move considered physical or magical?

it just says elemental damage unlike black magic which says magic attack or the first skill which says physical attack, so idk which it does

I never had it proc a 'Counter on Physical' at least. That's about all I can provide

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Combat is so fun. At around the end of chapter 1 (I assume the boss I just beat is this chapter's last boss, but haven't gotten a new chapter notice yet). Trying not to go out of my way too much to grind, though I end up fighting a ton of enemies just exploring.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
That fish bait trick really works for early JP grinding to max out Freelancer and have everyone get the JP Points Up passives. Really enjoying the game.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like an okay farming method but definitely think chaining for jp battles is more beneficial because you get more resources out of it (money, items, exp, jp) vs this method mostly giving jp.
----------
The feeling when you think you have a broken setup and then meet an open world boss one shotting you.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt they'd nerf anything since their general approach seems to be to give players the tools to break the game if they figure something out. And it's still ultimately up to the player if they want to trivilize the game in that way.

And this is how it should be with these single-player RPGs, I think. Keep your nerfs far away from my game, constantly balancing and balancing and balancing an RPG leads to one hell of a boring experience. Most of the fun - especially with these job-based ones - is coming up with ways to break the game.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I don't understand why so many people seem to want to grind JP early in the game. I feel like a lot of the fun is unlocking skills naturally as you go. It's a long game and it keeps things fresh if you're unlocking skills throughout. And it feels motivating to have something to work towards.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest I don't understand why so many people seem to want to grind JP early in the game. I feel like a lot of the fun is unlocking skills naturally as you go. It's a long game and it keeps things fresh if you're unlocking skills throughout. And it feels motivating to have something to work towards.
I enjoy more the experimenting and setup testing and to do that unlocking toys has to come first. That's why I jp farm pretty frequently. That's where my main enjoyment lies.
If I just let it happen naturally there might only be very few fights left to test interesting synergies on and then there is the fact that farming itself can be its own optimization problem to tackle with all the skills you can unlock.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy more the experimenting and setup testing and to do that unlocking toys has to come first. That's why I jp farm pretty frequently. That's where my main enjoyment lies.
If I just let it happen naturally there might only be very few fights left to test interesting synergies on and then there is the fact that farming itself can be its own optimization problem to tackle with all the skills you can unlock.
Ah I see, yeah I definitely get that. Now that you've said that, it's reminding me why I enjoyed the repetitive part at the end of Bravely Default 1, because it gave me a lot of time to experiment with different setups.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
While the overall plot hasn't been anything particularly interesting so far (start of chapter 2), the writing in party chat has been really fun. There's a ton of moments that round them all out, and the gentle heroics, commentary on events and humour rather than crazed anime cliches make them enjoyable to watch. Even Seth, the typical blank slate protagonist, has a ton of references to him being a sailor and so actually has a skill set to refer to rather than being completely ignorant of everything. Elvis's history as a noble comes up too, as do a ton of really sweet interactions. Worth watching, particularly after significant events.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
What the fuck I just realized no one dabs in this game like Ringabel after a fight in the first game, can't believe they would betray the series like this smh

ara

Oct 26, 2017
While the overall plot hasn't been anything particularly interesting so far (start of chapter 2), the writing in party chat has been really fun. There's a ton of moments that round them all out, and the gentle heroics, commentary on events and humour rather than crazed anime cliches make them enjoyable to watch. Even Seth, the typical blank slate protagonist, has a ton of references to him being a sailor and so actually has a skill set to refer to rather than being completely ignorant of everything. Elvis's history as a noble comes up too, as do a ton of really sweet interactions. Worth watching, particularly after significant events.

The dialogue has been a positive surprise after I read some reviews that specifically said it's not great. It's succinct, colorful and fun. Some characters are a bit bizarre and there have been some real bad ones too (everything about Adam is just??????), but so far I think the game has considerably better dialogue than most JRPGs I've played in the last year or two.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017

It triggers counter magical attack skills so definitely magic. It's pretty good if you are lucky, especially since it costs so little.

Also Gambler's special attack is so good for dungeon exploration and long boss fights, fully recharges everyone's MP

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Approaching Ch. 2 and yep, feels like Bravely and I love it. Knowing how Bravely goes I love the story so far and the characters are amazingly charming. I can't wait for this story to get insane if I like it this much already

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
I'm loving the game so much so far. I'm addicted to the card game and I always go back every so often to check for new side quests in all the towns. I just started chapter 2 and I have to say i like the overworld theme of this new section the least out of all of them.

I feel like it would be hilarious if there isn't a big twist/funky story moment eventually. But its Bravely. They always do this.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm loving the game so much so far. I'm addicted to the card game and I always go back every so often to check for new side quests in all the towns. I just started chapter 2 and I have to say i like the overworld theme of this new section the least out of all of them.

I feel like it would be hilarious if there isn't a big twist/funky story moment eventually. But its Bravely. They always do this.
'The twist is there is no twist!' :D

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Gambler's Flash the Cash is so strong right now, I think it's my strongest single target attack at the moment, other than some Berserker shenanigans. But it's pretty expensive, I spent 10k on the last boss lmao.

Pizzamigo

Oct 25, 2017
What do you guys think of the story, is it totally forgettable like some of these reviews suggest, or good enough to hook you?

Also, for anyone that's played this and Yakuza Like A Dragon, does BDII beat you down with way too much dialogue for every interaction? I'm about 20+ hours into Yakuza 7 and I just can't handle the amount of dialogue and text the game just throws at you. Every scene is like reading a mini chapter of a book, so many text boxes or lines of dialogue it slows the pace of the game to a crawl and makes it tiring when I only have like an hour to play at a time.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
What do you guys think of the story, is it totally forgettable like some of these reviews suggest, or good enough to hook you?
I'm pretty invested in it so far, there are some mysteries in there that are quite interesting and a couple of decent twists and turns so far (currently in chapter 2)
Doing sidequests and reading all the party chats gives you some intriguing pieces of info and great character backstory and moments.

Some of the themes are pretty dark too

laoni

Oct 25, 2017

Also, for anyone that's played this and Yakuza Like A Dragon, does BDII beat you down with way too much dialogue for every interaction? I'm about 20+ hours into Yakuza 7 and I just can't handle the amount of dialogue and text the game just throws at you. Every scene is like reading a mini chapter of a book, so many text boxes or lines of dialogue it slows the pace of the game to a crawl and makes it tiring when I only have like an hour to play at a time.

So far for me (I'm in Chapter 2, I just made it to the 3rd town), the story's not anything to shout to the rooftops about, but...it's comfy, is the best way to put it. It's very traditional oldschool RPG plot, played for less laughs and slapstick than Bravely Second was. So it's kind of just akin to sitting down, snuggling up under a blanket and throwing on some old movies/tv for me. There are hooks I want to see resolved, I'm invested in the characters of the party, and it's really nice to start up a sidequest and its showing off what some of the NPCs you've left behind, villainous and heroic, are doing after you've come through their lives.

ara

Oct 26, 2017

Yakuza games are extremely wordy, you're not gonna get anything even CLOSE to that here. I'm only in chapter 1, but BD2 has been pretty economic with its dialogue so far.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Just killed the Thief boss in one turn on hard mode. Yup, that's the good ol' Bravely I know XD

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
My speculation about where the story is going (mid chapter 2)
So far there are 2 main plot points teased that are standing out to me, specifically:
1) Adelle's sister and upbringing: reading all the party chats has divulged a bit more info about the way she was brought up and it seems almost military in nature.
Her sister went missing and now a mysterious woman is handing out Asterisks to seemingly fuel chaos.
There was a meeting between the villains that showed the assassin lady has the same hair colour and eye colour as Adelle but you catch a glimpse of Edna's eyes as well and they appear to be the same, she also has the same accent as Adelle as well I think.
so far every character is associated with an element. Seth wind, Gloria with water, I assume Elvis with Earth considering the events of Chapter 2 so far and that leaves Adelle with fire. The background of the villain chat earlier shows what looks like a town near a volcano so I guess we'll get her backstory in chapter 3.

Another plot point is the previous heroes of light: Gloria's grandfather, Emma, Sloan and the King of Halcyonia. Things Sloan said and what the water crystal said to Gloria makes me think there is more to that story.
my speculation is that the four of them stole the crystals for Musa and somehow used their power to change people's perceptions to make it seem like they always had them.
I think towards the end of the game we will have to go back in time to stop them before they can steal the crystals.

mere_immortal

Oct 25, 2017
Had a busy weekend so managed to finally get a couple of hours in last night! Any 'stuff you wish you knew early' type tips worth knowing?

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
The jobs seem to level up much quicker than in the 3DS games, I'm only at the start of chapter 1 and Elvis is aready learning the -ra spells, even with getting him to rank 6 in both white mage and freelancer as well

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
My speculation about where the story is going (mid chapter 2)
So far there are 2 main plot points teased that are standing out to me, specifically:
1) Adelle's sister and upbringing: reading all the party chats has divulged a bit more info about the way she was brought up and it seems almost military in nature.
Her sister went missing and now a mysterious woman is handing out Asterisks to seemingly fuel chaos.
There was a meeting between the villains that showed the assassin lady has the same hair colour and eye colour as Adelle but you catch a glimpse of Edna's eyes as well and they appear to be the same, she also has the same accent as Adelle as well I think.
so far every character is associated with an element. Seth wind, Gloria with water, I assume Elvis with Earth considering the events of Chapter 2 so far and that leaves Adelle with fire. The background of the villain chat earlier shows what looks like a town near a volcano so I guess we'll get her backstory in chapter 3.

Another plot point is the previous heroes of light: Gloria's grandfather, Emma, Sloan and the King of Halcyonia. Things Sloan said and what the water crystal said to Gloria makes me think there is more to that story.
my speculation is that the four of them stole the crystals for Musa and somehow used their power to change people's perceptions to make it seem like they always had them.
I think towards the end of the game we will have to go back in time to stop them before they can steal the crystals.

I had a cutscene in a sidequest where Adelle says her sister's name is Edna (The one about her shoes in Savalon), so, you're on the money there I'd say.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I had a cutscene in a sidequest where Adelle says her sister's name is Edna (The one about her shoes in Savalon), so, you're on the money there I'd say.
Thank you!
I was sure I had seen the name somewhere before but couldn't remember exactly where

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017
Poison sucks, I must have cast it 30 times and it's never worked once. I expect it on bosses but it never seems to work on bigger enemies either

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Had a busy weekend so managed to finally get a couple of hours in last night! Any 'stuff you wish you knew early' type tips worth knowing?
Grinding JP points on the beach south of the first town with a fish bait is an excellent way to max out the freelancer jobs early on for all members. I think the JP up and up ability is pretty useful. The body slam is proving to be very useful too. Does a lot of damage.