• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Good, first sales data out in double than Second layer and in line with the First episode RETAIL ONLY in the UK so basically the best selling game of the franchise at debut in that market
It also made it to the top 30 sellers eshop chart for the UK store, which is better than e.g.persona 5 strikers so far.

It did it during a massive sale too, which is pretty good. Almost all of the top sellers list is mario, animal crossing, or on a deep discount.

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
I know it's not a great market and maybe they didn't ship many games, but in Spain the game is out of stock in almost every shop. It's probably temporary but it shows the initial sales were decent here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not a great market and maybe they didn't ship many games, but in Spain the game is out of stock in almost every shop. It's probably temporary but it shows the initial sales were decent here.

It's sold out at one of Japan's biggest retailers too.

Looks like hype only picked up at release.

Deleted member 5189

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any indicator for the beastmaster job, to see how many and which type of monster i have caught already?

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
I want to JP grind before fighting the thief guy. Any recommendations?

If you have Fish Food (dropped by Sahagins at the beach outside the first town), use it during nighttime and keep battling Sahagins. You'll get continuous battles. Just spam normal attack on max battle speed and you'll get 80 - 200 when all waves end. In addition with consecutive battle JP bonuses, combine that with JP Ups from Freelancer-job (extra 1,7x JP) plus possibly more Fish Foods as drops. After the lure effect is gone, use another Fish Food and repeat. You'll swim in JP in no time.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Does the aim stat only affect accuracy? It doesn't affect like crit or anything? I'm just wondering because Bard has a whole song about increasing aim, but it doesn't seem all that useful, since I don't miss much in the first place?

Nevermeltice

One Winged Slayer
Feb 10, 2019
Does the aim stat only affect accuracy? It doesn't affect like crit or anything? I'm just wondering because Bard has a whole song about increasing aim, but it doesn't seem all that useful, since I don't miss much in the first place?

It's useful if you wanna make sure some monk or vanguard moves hit since those have lower accuracy.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I found a really great job combo:
Thief when maxed out at level 12 makes all abilities that cost BP cost MP instead
Combined with the Vanguards "The Gift of Courage" ability they can spend 40mp to give a character a BP point

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I used plant food to grind out job points just to the north-east of the starting town, as there's a ton of plant monsters there. Totally worth the 90m or so I spent doing it to get everyone with x1.7 job points as a passive. It's then meant that I swapped everyone to beastmaster and my casters got the -20% MP cost passive really quickly, and my physical attackers got the attack+ when braving passive too. Not only that but my beastmaster squad is really strong on its own. Some tasty abilities there. My team is so much stronger for it.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
She's literally the best looking in every single job costume. It's unfair.
The most effective for me too.
At the moment for crowd control Ive got Seth as Vanguard giving her his brave points, so she could use Invigorate (monk) for +15% power for three turns then the beastmaster skill that lets you hit everyone. This combat system is awesome, so flexible with so many options for synergy.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
One minor thing I really like- the meat for luring monsters into continuous battles gets its own tab in the item menu, making it easy to find all types and use them as you go along. I appreciate that rather than it being buried in with 100+ consumables and collectibles.

I'm enjoying thr game a lot so far, but I need to point out that I hate it when a series introduces Symbol Encounters but then doesn't balance how quickly monsters can chase you.

I know everyone hates random encounters but newflash, an encounter system doesn't feel any less "random" when it's difficult for you to actually make the choice whether you want to battle or not. I'm not seeing how this change is supposed to be an improvement over BD and BS just letting you manipulate the encounter rate directly.

Last edited:

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
I only got this game b/c my friend hyped it up a ton and I needed something new to play on the treadmill. Have no history with the series. Was a bit worried after I had my preorder in and so many of the early impressions and reviews were sort of tepid like great combat and job system bad story, weird graphics, etc. I would have canceled the preorder right there usually but if it hadn't been a rec.

Really glad I saw it through! Vibing with the game so hard. I honestly find the characters and the style charming though I can see how others might be put off. It's really in that love it or hate it zone, but for what I was looking for which is a game I could lightly grind and have fun with it's so perfect. Love the actual exploration, and also the little sleep mode exploration thing. Just a really delightful game so far. I had started Fire Emblem, but this is way better suited to what I'm looking for.

Oct 25, 2017
Chapter 2 is such a tremendous step up in difficulty (on Hard). The first boss there is the first time that I haven't gotten it on my second try, and the optional dungeon is like double my level (but I did manage to raid it for phat loots).

I find the game's action economy to be vastly more interesting than the original games. There's a lot of value in going quick, so the slower classes correspondingly have to hit like a goddamn truck to be viable.

Last edited:

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I only got this game b/c my friend hyped it up a ton and I needed something new to play on the treadmill. Have no history with the series. Was a bit worried after I had my preorder in and so many of the early impressions and reviews were sort of tepid like great combat and job system bad story, weird graphics, etc. I would have canceled the preorder right there usually but if it hadn't been a rec.

Really glad I saw it through! Vibing with the game so hard. I honestly find the characters and the style charming though I can see how others might be put off. It's really in that love it or hate it zone, but for what I was looking for which is a game I could lightly grind and have fun with it's so perfect. Love the actual exploration, and also the little sleep mode exploration thing. Just a really delightful game so far.
If you have a 3DS system you should play the original and Bravely Second which is a direct sequel. Both are fantastic games and so far for me, better than BD II.

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
If you have a 3DS system you should play the original and Bravely Second which is a direct sequel. Both are fantastic games and so far for me, better than BD II.
That's cool thanks. I'll beat this one now and see where to go from there--I'm Switch focused for this particular need b/c I can jog with detached joycons and still play haha.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a bad idea to just stick with Freelancer at first to get the JP boosts? Wondering if it's worth it or if I should get them later.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Is it a bad idea to just stick with Freelancer at first to get the JP boosts? Wondering if it's worth it or if I should get them later.

I wouldn't worry about it in the Prologue.

Once you begin getting monster treats (you'll see them in your item menu, one for each monster family type), you can JP farm incredibly quickly without overleveling.

Just go to, for example, the starter beach, use an aquatic monster treat, and 1-shot all the monsters there at 4x speed. You get ~200 JP/chain, meaning you can max Freelancer very quickly, and subsequent jobs even quicker with the JP boosts.

Magyscar

Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't worry about it in the Prologue.

Once you begin getting monster treats (you'll see them in your item menu, one for each monster family type), you can JP farm incredibly quickly without overleveling.

Just go to, for example, the starter beach, use an aquatic monster treat, and 1-shot all the monsters there at 4x speed. You get ~200 JP/chain, meaning you can max Freelancer very quickly, and subsequent jobs even quicker with the JP boosts.

Nice, thanks for the tip.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
Just made it to Chapter 4 with about 25 hours clocked on Hard. I was apprehensive of the story's pacing, but things started to pick up in Chapter 3.

Some of the more useful job passives so far:

(Beastmaster) MP Saver - Reduces MP costs by 20%. Stacks with other sources of MP reducing equipment.
(Beastmaster) Raw Power - Increases physical damage by 10% per action. Max Braving will skyrocket your final attack's damage.
(Gambler) Rare Talent - Rare item drop rate up by 10%. Stacks with each party member.
(Red Mage) Revenge - 25% chance of gaining 1 BP when attacked
(Pictomancer) Sub-Job BP Saver - Reduces BP cost of active sub-job abilities by 1. Great for spamming Monk's Pressure Point (boss killer) or Berserker's Crescent Moon (trash clearer)
(Swordmaster) 2 Hands Are Better Than 1 - FF's Doublehand. Stats of your main hand weapon is increased by 1.4x. Your character's combat stance changes too, which is a nice touch.
(Spiritmaster) Sub-Job Specialty 1 - Your sub-job's 1st specialty is unlocked.

Boclfon479

Oct 25, 2017
just finished the second town and left to head to the third one.

decided to pause the story before finishing it to farm JP up and up for everyone with some chaining foods. So nice!

main thing was doing it in the area by the second town where you can run into the wikiwiki, I thought I had to use 2 specialty attacks to kill them but blizzaga x4 worked well too. Maybe took an hour and a half or so

AstroLad

Oct 31, 2017
I don't know how many hours I spent playing hyrule and fire emblem warriors doing this method!
hahaha it's so good! for me it was slay the spire but now that i'm even more comfortable with it i can do action games too. just can't do it if i'm actually running beyond a jog. just wish there were a way to play ps5 with split controllers but getting greedy at this point :P

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
If you have Fish Food (dropped by Sahagins at the beach outside the first town), use it during nighttime and keep battling Sahagins. You'll get continuous battles. Just spam normal attack on max battle speed and you'll get 80 - 200 when all waves end. In addition with consecutive battle JP bonuses, combine that with JP Ups from Freelancer-job (extra 1,7x JP) plus possibly more Fish Foods as drops. After the lure effect is gone, use another Fish Food and repeat. You'll swim in JP in no time.

Thanks for this, maxed my freelancers and then beat Bernards ass

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tip. Jp up and up is goung to be useful going forward so I maxed all my freelancers.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any way to turn off the cursor tips from battle? I can't find a setting and it's really annoying to have portions of the menu blocked by information I already know

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Damn, what I can assume is the
Artist Asterisk holder
Is an absolute monster

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Oh wow, a certain asterisk battle in chapter 2 is very similar to another asterisk battle in BD1 lol. Similar settings and stuff.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Oh my, I really lost my time for the last 2 hours then, foraging all the way, letting the poor old man doing all the stuff.

Can I sell every "collect" items ? And the treasure count is per level or per dungeon? Thanks!
Not sure about the collect items but treasure count is per level/area. If you go through a screen transition, it's a separate area.

Mercador

Nov 18, 2017
Quebec City
hahaha it's so good! for me it was slay the spire but now that i'm even more comfortable with it i can do action games too. just can't do it if i'm actually running beyond a jog. just wish there were a way to play ps5 with split controllers but getting greedy at this point :P
Well, it gives me the idea that I could do stationary bike while playing that one.

Not sure about the collect items but treasure count is per level/area. If you go through a screen transition, it's a separate area.
During the first dungeon, there's a second level, but I didn't notice if the treasure number changed between levels.

Gyoru

Oct 27, 2017
You can sell anything with "Collectable resource" in the item description. Their only function is to be sold to vendors.

The Salvemaker job uses "material" items that have a unique icon (a herb) when Compounding.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Reached 3rd town now, this game's story structure reminds me of Xenoblade 2, where you just follow the main quest and then the end of chapters some big shit happens.
I'm excited to try the new classes but I'm close to reaching level 12 freelancer with everyone so that'll help a lot.