• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Potentially stupid question coming below;

For some reason, I remember a "sidequest list" in the other titles. Each is numbered, so it stands to reason I'm able to view that somewhere - but for the life of me I can't find it.

Am I misremembering, or is there a tracker in game I can use for sidequests? Not the sidequest once activated, but a list of each numbered.
nope. there's no sidequest list for some reason. weird oversight/decision when the sidequests is numbered

spiritfox

Oct 26, 2017
I'm guessing this card game is tied to getting the asterisk, about how much of it will I have to endure to get the job?

It's pretty fast, I didn't even leave the area.

You need to do 4 card games, 1 of which is a tutorial, before you fight the boss. Just take note that you fight her immediately after the last card game.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
nope. there's no sidequest list for some reason. weird oversight/decision when the sidequests is numbered
My guess it isn't an oversight the feature just wasn't ready and got cut. Game just feels like it could have massively benefitted from more time improving general qol. Still am baffled how there is no presets when it was part of bravely second already. Makes switching between fighting setup and farming setup pretty annoying.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Loving this game! The bosses are fucking hard. And leveling up the jobs are as satisfying as ever!

The beastmaster boss was surprisingly difficult even though I spent the time in the beginning grinding and accumulating items. The silencing was fucking up my team hard and the fight went on for longer than I expected. I'm glad I have so many Phoenix downs and echo herbs, because that would have been hell if you were rushing through.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Should I feel bad for bullying the old lady in the gaming hall with cards to rack up points?
no

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My guess it isn't an oversight the feature just wasn't ready and got cut. Game just feels like it could have massively benefitted from more time improving general qol. Still am baffled how there is no presets when it was part of bravely second already. Makes switching between fighting setup and farming setup pretty annoying.

i hope the game gets a QOL update. It could really use a quest list.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Yeah holy shit at the beastmaster fight on hard mode, it's critical health damage dealing was pumping out crazy numbers and countering all abilities. Died with them having 300 health left ;-;

Definitely some smt style instant party wipes if you aren't paying full attention. Fun tho and a nice breath of fresh air compared to many jrpgs you can sleep walk though

Last edited:

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Potentially stupid question coming below;

For some reason, I remember a "sidequest list" in the other titles. Each is numbered, so it stands to reason I'm able to view that somewhere - but for the life of me I can't find it.

Am I misremembering, or is there a tracker in game I can use for sidequests? Not the sidequest once activated, but a list of each numbered.
Not sure if this is what you mean, but check the first option in the pause menu (not sure of the English, maybe "travel record" or "trip memories")

You can see the quests there if you press ZR or ZR

Bulebule

Oct 27, 2017
Just reached chapter 1 (have not played this as much as I'd like). I don't really like the design of
Adam. At all. Everything from appearance to his armor is like straight from Kingdom Hearts, organization XIII. That Lonsdale seems much cooler.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Loving this game! The bosses are fucking hard. And leveling up the jobs are as satisfying as ever!

The beastmaster boss was surprisingly difficult even though I spent the time in the beginning grinding and accumulating items. The silencing was fucking up my team hard and the fight went on for longer than I expected. I'm glad I have so many Phoenix downs and echo herbs, because that would have been hell if you were rushing through.

Yeah holy shit at the beastmaster fight on hard mode, it's critical health damage dealing was pumping out crazy numbers and countering all abilities. Died with them having 300 health left ;-;

Definitely some smt style instant party wipes if you aren't paying full attention. Fun tho and a nice breath of fresh air compared to many jrpgs you can sleep walk though
Tip:
Items can be really useful for most of these early bosses:

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Got JP Up and Up for all characters and mastered a couple more jobs. Now to continue the story after the final demo part, i.e., go meet Bernard the Thief!

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Defeated the weird fairy plant thing on the first map. I basically poisened her at the start of the battle and mostly defaulted and hit with lightning and debuffs when I had the chance. Poisen is pretty good for these kind of fights.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it. Loved the demo and wanted more. The art style isn't as big of a problem as I feared. Kinda grew on me.

Love the Australian accents.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Is it just me or do characters learn abilities really fast? (Considering there is only 12 per job).

I'm in the first cave after the first area and I'm already learning the "a" spells (fira, blizzards, thunders). Seems early?

laoni

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me or do characters learn abilities really fast? (Considering there is only 12 per job).

I'm in the first cave after the first area and I'm already learning the "a" spells (fira, blizzards, thunders). Seems early?

Because there's (apparently) 26 jobs I guess that they want it to go quick to encourage experimenting.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017

It's all about getting the jobs and giving characters abilities you want them to have. That takes quite some time. 12 per job times 4 if you want all your characters to have them and there are 20 plus jobs too.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Quite enjoying the card game now I've got the hang of it! I feel a bit mean taking cards off kids and little old ladies though
Yeah I guess that makes sense! Just feels strange learning high-ish level spells so early
It's more that Black Mage and White Mage are low-ish jobs, you'll want to swap into more advanced classes once you've mastered them.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think learning the higher level spells earlier is balanced by the MP cost. You can easily burn through your mage's MP if you're not mindful.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think learning the higher level spells earlier is balanced by the MP cost. You can easily burn through your mage's MP if you're not mindful.
Yeah. My black mage has them all learned but it's not like it's overpowered when enemies have high HP pools, wasting a whole group of them with black magic can burn through your whole MP pool at low levels. Really you want to move on and get the passives from other jobs to reduce MP cost etc

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
JP Up and Up is great and has me considering maxing out each job for each character. Really loving this game.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
The texture work on the clothing and monsters is amazing.

Also, the game would have really beneffited from someone like Anihal or Bernard joining the party. Just like the first game, the "hero" and the "princess" have almost no personality and the story is carried by the other two companions, Ringabel and Edea, this time Adelle and Elvis. I'm just on the beastmaster boss fight and at the moment, Seth and Gloria would as well have been two walking stones and the narrative would remain unchanged.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Any charm resistance/immunity items before you leave the starting area? There's a unique monster I want to try and beat before I move onto the oasis.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I saw a loading screen tip about jobs at level 12 (and beyond)
The fact that it says "and beyond" makes me think there will be a way to upgrade jobs later in the game

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
I just maxed out beast master for everyone. So what's the limit on how many monsters you can catch? Also, does the type of monster affect the stat boost?

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
I just maxed out beast master for everyone. So what's the limit on how many monsters you can catch? Also, does the type of monster affect the stat boost?
You can capture a max of 99 for each monster. Don't think types of monster would matter, but I've haven't observed the scaling closely.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Resolution outside of the ui must be 720p even docked right? Shame since i actually think the art style would look real nice at higher resolutions but the characters when walking around are so blurry. Hopefully follows octopath to pc eventually.
I think it's dynamic or at least it has different res values on conversations/fights/dungeons/overworld map, because sometimes the game looks really good and sometimes it looks really blurry. But I think the real big technical issue are the constant "loading times", the game freezes when you open the menu and sometimes even during cutscenes/bossfights the game seems to be struggling to load some animation/asset and stutters for a second.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Finally beat
Berserker

That was a tough battle. Had to use all my buffs and debuffs available to avoid getting one-shot.

I'm enjoying what this is. I'm not convinced the roaming overworld enemies was a good decision, the way Bravely Default did it was perfect. Characters and story are nice so far, it feels a lot more serious than Bravely Second.

I think artistic decisions is the only thing that puts me off this game so far. I think it's the realistic textures, water & lighting mixed with cartoonish characters, they needed to stylize more of the environments and soften lighting.
Performance isn't perfect either. It's mostly during transitions the game feels like it stutters.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, does that mean we can get 99+ stats or is there a cap?
The stats don't scale 1 to 1 for each monster capture. But since there are a lot of monsters that you can capture, maybe it will eventually reach that? Not sure. I only just unlocked it today, so need more time to check.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Got JP+ and JP++ now just after the first dungeon. Guess the next small section of the game is gonna be really easy lol.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Oh my god...I just did the final desert boss and...I used 3 times the final ability of vanguard combined with beast master raw power and Gloria's special and 30% physical attack buffs and it literally destroyed the boss as if it was nothing.... literally multiple 5k+ damage per hit damn lol.

EarlGreyHot

Oct 27, 2017
Perhaps this was asked and answered before, but do certain characters have an affinity for certain jobs? Or can I freely experiment.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
So for the boat exploration, do you have to have the game on for it to work? Or can I play other games?

Unfortunately you have to have the game on, presumably as a measure against changing the system clock.

There's auto battle still, but now you have to manually select between every character now?

TBH auto-battle would be completely superfluous, and was only necessary in BD1 because JP farming to master jobs was comparatively glacial.

Here, JP farming can be extremely fast and efficient, and IIRC jobs only need like half as much to master.

If you're wanting to JP farm, just go to a low level area (I use the starter beach), pop a monster lure of whatever type of monster is common (for my example, aquatic), and start 1-shotting everything at 4x speed. You'll get hundreds of JP per encounter, especially after unlocking the JP ups from Freelancer.

I like how the changed random encounters to over field ones, but they got rid of the function where you an just turn encounters off anyway? Dumb

You can basically turn encounters off by using a Ward item, so they all run from you. And honestly, by the time I've gotten to any given dungeon, the lower level monsters there are running from me anyway. By the end of the dungeon, all but maybe 1 type are running. The level deficit they start running at is very generous to the player.

Got the Beastmaster, and now to start some JP farming! I miss not having a No Exp toggle though :(

UWkJhCd.jpg

Since JP doesn't seem to really increase by enemy level, it's been fastest for me to just go farm lowbie stuff, which naturally doesn't give enough EXP to worry over. Honestly, EXP gain in this game seems really balanced in a way that overleveling isn't ever a serious concern.

i hope the game gets a QOL update. It could really use a quest list.

So, there is a quest list while they're active (in the Travelogue), but yeah it's puzzling that quests are numbered yet there's no list of all quests so you can see which you may've missed.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Any charm resistance/immunity items before you leave the starting area? There's a unique monster I want to try and beat before I move onto the oasis.
I went back with the helper character from the desert and he basically constantly debuffs and then hit away with the mage. I aso poisened it at the start of the battle and basically defaulted and just hit my party members every time they got charmed. I was looking for a charm immunity item but couldn't find one in the first 2 areas at least.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
Since JP doesn't seem to really increase by enemy level, it's been fastest for me to just go farm lowbie stuff, which naturally doesn't give enough EXP to worry over. Honestly, EXP gain in this game seems really balanced in a way that overleveling isn't ever a serious concern.
Oh really? I just assumed it did and didn't even bother grinding in the prologue zone, more so because I was familiar with the desert area from the demo.

Still though, I wanted a no EXP option for those level 1 challenges. Taking away options is one of the disappointments in this game.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Still though, I wanted a no EXP option for those level 1 challenges. Taking away options is one of the disappointments in this game.

Yeah, for regular play I think they did a good job at making the option unnecessary via balancing, but I could see that being a disappointment if you were wanting to do a level 1 challenge. Better to have more QoL/options than less.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Comparing the character models here to the ones from Default/Second, I think they really should have leaned towards the latter. Those character models really accurately conveyed the chibi sprite aesthetic of classic RPGs, whereas the new ones are kind of stretched out and detailed enough to look weird and kind of off-putting without hitting that cutesy chibi look the last two games had.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I'm starting to get the impression
That the asterisks themselves are corrupting people. The difference between some of the characters after their asterisks have been taken away is pretty big and it seems like their power is causing changes in people's personalities

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
Uhhh, the increase of trees in chapter 2 has caused the performance to drop noticeably...

There's much more stuttering, much more visible texture loading. Still enjoying the game, but that's not great