• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Is anyone else playing with the blur turned off? It seems really poorly implemented and I almost wonder if the game runs smoother without it.

Oct 25, 2017
Even on Hard the game seems really well balanced and non-grindy. There's a huge number of optional quests and a decent number of side dungeons and side bosses to go explore and challenge yourself. Boss fights are hard, but much more meticulously designed than the boss fights of other Job RPGs.

I totally dig how crit and vulnerability are both less than 2x. Makes it feel like a nice bonus without feeling mandatory.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay maybe this will help settle it for me. I liked Bravely Default well enough but have the same complaints everyone else did (repetition and the characters never emoting their problems) and so found Bravely Second to be a much better and more fulfilling game, but that game seems to have gone over like a lead balloon.

If I come into Bravely Default II loving Bravely Second, what am I going to get out of it? I'm all in on a tropey send up to classic JRPGs with a deep combat system, that part's great.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Are the fangs, horns and other crap you get in battles used for creating stuff later, or is it just there to be sold?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Cranked some tunes for an hour or so and got all 4 characters the jp boost passives using fish grinding so at least that's done

1.7 boost should make up for it over 70 hours or however long the game is

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
As long the game isn't closed, it will work regardless provided the Switch is asleep. As for that chest...I gave up, it was annoying. The tree is in the way.

Thanks, does that specifically mean to be loaded into your game save, or just at the title screen or whatever?

Also, I checked on that chest and learned that you can cut trees later, so you have to go back to get it

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Finished the prologue. Enjoyed for the gameplay, but hopefully the story gets more interesting.

The only cutscene so far (the fight) was fun to watch, if a little low budget. Hopefully there's a healthy amount of cutscenes like that instead of just dialogue screens.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks, does that specifically mean to be loaded into your game save, or just at the title screen or whatever?

Also, I checked on that chest and learned that you can cut trees later, so you have to go back to get it
That's a good question, I'm not sure. I just press home screen and make my switch sleep. Next morning, the boat came back with tons of items. I think your save file has to be opened. I would assume it works similar to how buildings work in the original Bravely games.

And thanks for the tip! I suspected you could cut down trees later on.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Really enjoying this. About six hours in, and while the cast is nothing groundbreaking, their gentle humour and lack of mediocre tropes makes them quietly heroic, which is a nice change. Tinkering with the team setup never gets old, I don't even mind the weight mechanic here. I like that all classes can equip anything but get the most out of certain categories, there's a real granularity to it. Find a nice weapon? It might not be perfect for your current class but you can still have a few swings with it. Job points and passives and a good turn-based battle engine that gives you all buff/debuff/scan info, it's just really pleasant to play if you enjoy the genre. Other games are flashier or have more original setups, but there's a quiet depth to both the mechanics and the party in this that I really appreciate.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
First three hours are positive for me, getting exactly out of it what I wanted for now.

Elvis is the Ringabel of the bunch it seems.

Shahadan

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but rare monsters on the starting beach doing 1000 damage is dumb.

All this does is ensuring that I never even try fighting those rares.
Rare monsters should be a challenge but be level appropriate with the zone they're in.

Also, any way to make the night come faster? Or just run around on the world map?

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really enjoying this. About six hours in, and while the cast is nothing groundbreaking, their gentle humour and lack of mediocre tropes makes them quietly heroic, which is a nice change. Tinkering with the team setup never gets old, I don't even mind the weight mechanic here. I like that all classes can equip anything but get the most out of certain categories, there's a real granularity to it. Find a nice weapon? It might not be perfect for your current class but you can still have a few swings with it. Job points and passives and a good turn-based battle engine that gives you all buff/debuff/scan info, it's just really pleasant to play if you enjoy the genre. Other games are flashier or have more original setups, but there's a quiet depth to both the mechanics and the party in this that I really appreciate.

I agree with everything, right down to your word choice. I've been trying to put into words why I'm having such a good time with the characters despite them being, on paper, pretty bog-standard and I think you nailed it. And the RPG systems are all just really pleasantly playable, making it such a cozy game

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Only just into chapter 1 (I suspect it's going to get a lot more difficult given how tough I found the boss fights already!). Having a really great time so far - even with the game's technical shortcomings (jaggy characters, slightly chuggy menus), as far as throwback JRPGs go it's a very enjoyable one.

The music is to die for. It's not as powerful as a Nier OST or anything like that, but it's just so great. Loving the world map music in particular.

I really need to convert Elvis to a White Mage for a bit to get that daytime mana regeneration passive...

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
I noticed just putting the Switch to sleep with the game running does all the boat business.
So talking to the boat lady is so you can do the same thing without putting the console to sleep?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I noticed just putting the Switch to sleep with the game running does all the boat business.
So talking to the boat lady is so you can do the same thing without putting the console to sleep?

No, you always need the console in sleep mode, but talking to the lady is how you activate it and end a session to claim your prizes.

pariah164

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT!

So... I never finished Bravely Default or End Layer... Is it OK if I play this now? Or should I really finish those two games beforehand?

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I have to leave the game running when I put the Switch in sleep mode for the fishing to work?

I started it at he lady, and then backed out to save and closed the game and put it into rest mode and nothing happened lol

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry but rare monsters on the starting beach doing 1000 damage is dumb.

All this does is ensuring that I never even try fighting those rares.
Rare monsters should be a challenge but be level appropriate with the zone they're in.

Also, any way to make the night come faster? Or just run around on the world map?

Mm, I think there should be a visual indicator when a rare mob is well beyond your level, but I don't mind there being high level rares in low level areas in general, because you backtack for side quests anyway.

So I have to leave the game running when I put the Switch in sleep mode for the fishing to work?

I started it at he lady, and then backed out to save and closed the game and put it into rest mode and nothing happened lol

Yeah, unfortunately. It's so people can't game the system by adjusting the clock.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
okay some of these side quests suck, the one where you have to run 4 times into that one dungeon and back to town was the worst so far

Rainer516

Oct 29, 2017
Mm, I think there should be a visual indicator when a rare mob is well beyond your level, but I don't mind there being high level rares in low level areas in general, because you backtack for side quests anyway.

There is a visual indicator. The really tough enemies have a red sheen/glow. It's difficult to notice at first but it's there.
This also makes it a gamble to try and figure out just how out of your league they are. You can exploit some of them into defeat, for example: poison and Sir Sloan take quick care of the rare enemy outside the first optional dungeon area.

Andsello

Jul 31, 2020
Does anyone know if in the card quest is it possible to beat all the players with the starter deck? Or do I need to farm the cards too?

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Adelle accusing Elvis of having a foot fetish during one of the side quests was fun lol

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
okay some of these side quests suck, the one where you have to run 4 times into that one dungeon and back to town was the worst so far
Oh God that. That was REALLY annoying. You forget the lunch, then water and then freaking spoon and forks AND then you go back to give the husband's thanks?

brooklynb_jp

Jan 8, 2019
I came specifically to say that despite enjoying the game a lot, some of these side quests gotta go lol the one you described is in no way enjoyable, and there are a few that feel just as pointless

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I played for a couple hours and got into the first dungeon. I have to say I'm very happy I decided to give it a chance even though I didn't really like the demo.

Starting from the beginning really helped to get a grasp on everything. The opening scenario isn't really as interesting as the one in the desert, but I think this would've been a much better way to pull new players in.

The dialogue scenes almost come off like actors on a stage delivering lines. When I look at it that way the character designs don't bother me at all.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
How's the game everyone? Living up to expectations, hype, hope of the original?

so far, it's absolutely everything I could want from a turn based rpg on the switch. I will say the characters aren't quite popping like the original quartet. It's hard to top Edea and Ringabell, and Agnes was more quirky than Gloria.

OP
OP
kuroneko0509

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
Where can I see and read more about my super/special, and the necessary steps to activate them?
on job section, you have to switch to different page first (y button). tho generally they're just use that job command multiple times for activation (other than freelancers)
Is there a key to what some of the symbols mean for monster weaknesses?
coloured symbols = elements
weapon symbols = weapon type

Incite

Oct 25, 2017
on job section, you have to switch to different page first (y button). tho generally they're just use that job command multiple times for activation (other than freelancers)

coloured symbols = elements
weapon symbols = weapon type

Thank you but I meant a key that shows what each means specifically

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Light weakness is freaking weird. I only have 1 class that can hit it and it's random too.
On hard right now I have to always switch back to my fully maxed mainjob setup so I'm losing a lot of jp from story battles. At least it's easy enough to farm jp but still hurts to lose out on but those battles are too brutal to enter with my lesser leveled jobs