• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm LOVING this game. Grass cutting is sure addictive.

First boss was a lot longer, tougher and required more tactics than I would normally expect from an early boss battle. If that's the vibe going forward then I'm all in. It was great.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
fTYjezL.jpg

I briefly panicked thinking that there was a "Dabbing" status effect

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
I remember how apprehensive I was to brave in the first game until I hit the midway point in BD1 and I starting using it like it was going out of business. It's such a fun system but it makes me enjoy even the random moons I have to mow down.

Also "GET STUCK IN ", is drilled in my brain

Andsello

Jul 31, 2020
Did you find any game-breaking mechanics? I read about the forage skill but I don't understand how can it be powerful than cutting grass

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
Couple questions:

1. How does the boat thing actually work? I asked the lady to send the boat, it says 0:00 hours and I can't call it back or anything, but the time isn't changing

2. Worth it to just grind out freelancer first before anything else for the JP upgrades?

3. Any reason to even attempt any of the colored monsters you find, or are they always way out of your league when you first encounter them?

SunPie

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This game is cozy as hell and the combat is genuinely interesting and fun. Loving it.

is it possible to get more than one spell from a sub job??

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
Enjoying my time so far.
Surpassed where the demo finished and hit a very tough boss - I think I'm going to need to take advantage of buffs and debuffs to win at it. Playing on Normal and finding a good challenge so far.

This game is cozy as hell and the combat is genuinely interesting and fun. Loving it.

is it possible to get more than one spell from a sub job??

You need to level up a job (as main) this unlocks further skills & spells and passives.
Passives can be applied regardless of job. Skills & Spells can only be used as a main or sub job.

e.g. I leveled up Black mage on Gloria up to level 4 (to unlock some more spells), then changed her to White mage as main and black mage as sub. Gives her healing as main role with some opportunity to do magic damage.

Last edited:

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Couple questions:

1. How does the boat thing actually work? I asked the lady to send the boat, it says 0:00 hours and I can't call it back or anything, but the time isn't changing

2. Worth it to just grind out freelancer first before anything else for the JP upgrades?

3. Any reason to even attempt any of the colored monsters you find, or are they always way out of your league when you first encounter them?
The boat works when you put the Switch to sleep.

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
After playing the first game, I think I'm actively looking for the
twist
too much and theorizing on plot details that conveniently aren't explained. But after 2h or so, still in prologue...
It's a bit weird how Seth doesn't recognize where he is at all, haven't heard of anything the party talks about (crystals, asterisks, world locations...), so my theory is that Seth comes from another reality (our reality or BD1's world) and he got sucked into this game after his ship got wrecked.

This is running in my mind since he awakens at the inn in Halcyonia and the way he's just "where am I??? what is this place??? is that a monster???" and then doesn't bring it up again. Since there's no fairy in sight, it's a bit fun to see where the story goes this time.
Haha I can't help doing that too! Bravely series is like M. Night Shyamalan movies, you walk in fully expecting a twist! xD

I'm about three hours in and absolutely loving this game so far, hope the honeymoon phase never ends.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I was a bit apprehensive about the quality of life features this game seemed to have been missing, like queuing up your entire party, toggling between encounter rates, etc., but after putting a couple of hours into BDII, I think I'm on board with most of the changes.

Like for instance, from the demo I really disliked that I couldn't queue up my party like how I was able to in both previous Bravely titles, but now I see that there is more degree of control since you're able to adjust more easily on the fly than you were able to previously once your characters are locked in. Plus, once your functions are all set up, the repeat option (Y) is fundamentally an auto battle option, though admittedly, not as good as a real auto battle. Also, I'm a sucker for an ATB gauge since I'm sure this game will have fun ways to break it.

And this might sound weird, but I'm kind of into weight limit system that is now in play. I normally hate being encumbered but it serving as a "limiter" of sorts in a game such as this is a bit refreshing, especially when you inevitably finds ways to circumvent it.

All in all, I'm really enjoying the full game much more than both demos.

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
The boat works when you put the Switch to sleep.

With the game still running? Or the game shut down?

Separately, I'm currently in Hydrangea Hills and there is one treasure chest left. I can see it on a raised area and it looks like a rock bridge connects that area to the raised area south of it, but I'm not able to walk onto the rock bridge (theres a tree there I can't cut down and it doesn't look like you can stand on the rocks to begin with). Anyone know how to get this chest?

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I played the previous 2 games. Should I play this in normal or hard? Is normal a good amount of time challenge, or do you go to hard for that?

Shyranui

Oct 29, 2017
Spain
Also a little detail that I like a lot... the male protagonists talks!! It's not like he has a great personality (for now), not bad, just cliché.
I know it's not something that unique but all the recent jrpgs that I've been playing all had the silent one and is a pretty annoying tbh. At least here it makes the party interactions more fun

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Curious, any early ways to break the game? or things I should focus on early game?
It's not exactly game breakingly amazing, but learning the forage ability on all 4 characters and having them all brave x4 using forage while Sir Sloan takes care of all the enemies can net you some really good items early on, notably tents and small JP orbs.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Also a little detail that I like a lot... the male protagonists talks!! It's not like he has a great personality (for now), not bad, just cliché.
I know it's not something that unique but all the recent jrpgs that I've been playing all had the silent one and is a pretty annoying tbh. At least here it makes the party interactions more fun
Yeah, I just don't see the point of picking any name and never have characters address him as such

I really don't see why he couldn't just be Seth and not allow us to change his name

Oct 27, 2017
I forgot about this and just started XB Chronicles 2 this week.....FML. These rpgs about to destroy my family life 🤣🤦‍♂️

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm enjoying using the Forager skill in the prologue to accumulate items. Seems incredibly OP to be honest.

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a quest list? Each side quest is numbered but I can't seem to find a log of them beyond the current activated quests on the map

Yinyangfooey

Oct 27, 2017
Still early in the game, but is there really no map in the dungeons? Also did they change any of the mechanics around this time? Like I noticed how there's "sub-jobs" instead of just "abilities" like in previous games. Does that imply that sub jobs also get EXP when equipped? Because in the previous games, it was only the main jobs that got EXP.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Anihal destroyed me, despite that I still enjoy Hard Mode very much, I'm afraid normal would be too easy.
So I go back to town and suddenly, silence resist hats! What I needed, haha.
Anyway I'm 10 hours in now, taking it slowly but loving every minutes of it, still haven't tried a rare monsters because the few ones I did had 50k+ HP and OSed everyone.

Adèle singing lalala~ after a Bard skill is so cute :3c

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Curious, any early ways to break the game? or things I should focus on early game?

Weaker monsters don't give less job points, so after a few hours, if you go back to earlier areas and start doing chain battles (with the monster bait items), you can farm up JP extremely efficiently without worrying about dying. It feels like breaking the game, but I think it might be intentional- they really really want you to level up a bunch of jobs obviously. I recommend going back and maxing Freelancer for the JP up abilities to speed up leveling while you're actually progressing through the story.

Still early in the game, but is there really no map in the dungeons? Also did they change any of the mechanics around this time? Like I noticed how there's "sub-jobs" instead of just "abilities" like in previous games. Does that imply that sub jobs also get EXP when equipped? Because in the previous games, it was only the main jobs that got EXP.

No dungeon map so far that I can see. Sub jobs get nothing, just let you use the active ability command while in a different main jobs. Passives from any number of jobs can be mixed and matched further from the ability menu.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
With the game still running? Or the game shut down?

Separately, I'm currently in Hydrangea Hills and there is one treasure chest left. I can see it on a raised area and it looks like a rock bridge connects that area to the raised area south of it, but I'm not able to walk onto the rock bridge (theres a tree there I can't cut down and it doesn't look like you can stand on the rocks to begin with). Anyone know how to get this chest?
As long the game isn't closed, it will work regardless provided the Switch is asleep. As for that chest...I gave up, it was annoying. The tree is in the way.

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Damn, Anihal destroyed me, despite that I still enjoy Hard Mode very much, I'm afraid normal would be too easy.
So I go back to town and suddenly, silence resist hats! What I needed, haha.
Anyway I'm 10 hours in now, taking it slowly but loving every minutes of it, still haven't tried a rare monsters because the few ones I did had 50k+ HP and OSed everyone.
I just defeated Orpheus and exact same thing. The sleep counterattack killed my party. I then equip anti sleep necklaces and bam, instantly won lol.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Balan Wonderworld getting different intro cutscenes and this game having to make do with engine cutscenes with these models is a crime.

Also, I just met Adam. He's the most ugly character I've ever seen in a game. That Dragon Ball Super face combined with the unwashed floating hair... I felt queasy.

Oct 25, 2017
There's no quest list, which seems weird with the way they number quests.
There isn't, but they totally need to patch it in.

Right thanks folks haha seems like an easy thing to add to the lore area.

I would love if the book that Elvis is translating were in that section too to flick through and look for clues. It would be a really good riff on Ringabel's diary, one of my favourite parts of the storytelling in the first game.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Should monks be unarmed? Dumb question but I was doing more damage with a staff equipped

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
I just completed the first asterisk battle, some early impressions:

-The combat is a ton of fun, and I don't have yet even the minimun customization options
-Art is nice, I don't mind the character models that much and the cities look gorgeous
-Music is also nice
-Tech is quite bad: lots of aliasing, lots of stuttering (sometimes a cutscene animation freezes for a second and the menus always stutter, it seems the game has some problem loading assets). The textures in the city are also low-res sadly
-Even if the image quality is often poor, all the UI elements are really crisp, so I suppose the UI runs always at 1080p (a big improvement compared to Octopath)