• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lanaka

May 11, 2018
Yeah. Bravely Second doesn't have the repetitive ending thing that Bravely Default has.

It...kinda did, if you were an idiot (like me) and didn't realize how to advance the plot after the end of chapter 4. That was all on me, of course, but the game let you continue on with the repeat, not really pointing out that you missed something, and playing everything out exactly the same. This could be worse, in some people's opinion, but it's certainly not required, like chapter's 5-7 of BDFF.

Exentryk

Oct 25, 2017
GIF version (+ new page):

qWPhHYE.gif

HQ version:

Last edited:

Selphie

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm looking forward to this so much, especially with Revo returning! I liked the Bravely Second OST too, but it didn't come close to the first game.
I have been listening to the BD soundtrack for the last few days now.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Context:
Hopefully this time the second half of the game won't be "redo the first part again"

Replies:
Such a lovely game until that point.

All they have to do is read literally any review or criticism about the first game and they'll see it mentioned. Let's hope they did
I understand why many people don't like it but this kind of common exaggeration always gets me. If you don't care about doing that content again you can easily finish the "second half" in a couple of hours, it's really nothing outrageous.

If you don't like it and for some reason fight every boss again instead of the mandatory handful then that's really on you.
iwl36evxxk1k.gif

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Haha I actually never played Second as I'd sold my 3DS by the. and completely forgot it existed in my response. Was it an improvement over 1?
Yes and no.
There's many improvements (mostly gameplay and pacing related), but the story/writing is worse, and the music isn't as good (it's still really good).
You can also feel the lack of budget (asset reuse). First one was a big success, and S-E gave them a smaller budget for the sequel.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
I hope BD2 is different enough from BD1. Each Final Fantasy made a point of being distinct from the previous one (II is darker and more militaristic, III is lighter hearted and more high fantasy, IV is darker and more sci-fi, V is lighter hearted high fantasy, VI is dark steampunk, etc.)

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I understand why many people don't like it but this kind of common exaggeration always gets me. If you don't care about doing that content again you can easily finish the "second half" in a couple of hours, it's really nothing outrageous.

If you don't like it and for some reason fight every boss again instead of the mandatory handful then that's really on you.

It is terrible, not exaggerated, and it did ruin the game for me. You telling me that I should be able to rush through the content if I don't like it is a really poor defense. I enjoyed the game, and I (falsely) assumed that it was going to reward me for trying to understand more of what's going on in the world after this timeline reset.

It's been a while since I played it, and my memory is kinda piss sometimes, but I know for certain I was very much in love with this game before Chapter 5, and fell off hard I think somewhere through Chapter 6. If it truly only takes "a couple of hours" to get through all of Chapter 5-8(?) then I don't really think the game does a great job at laying out the minimum requirements, because I'm pretty sure I spent at least 2 hours on Chapter 5 alone. The battles were roughly the same as the last go around but tougher, and my team wasn't quite strong enough to fight a few of them, so I had to grind in at least one place. I remember some vampire-like boss that was doing work. Anyway, throughout all of this I was looking for new dialog - some valuable addition to the story, and there were some fun new exchanges, but I really don't remember anything standing out. Certainly nothing that would have made be consider Chapter 5 as being worth my time.

I reached Chapter 6, convinced myself to play probably another hour to see what had changed in the world, and once again I wasn't seeing it. And maybe I'm wrong but the battles were even tougher than before? I consulted a friend who did play through more, and he told me it resets a couple more times and that not a whole lot changes. After this I quit and traded in the game.

On the subject of repeating big chunks of game as part of the narrative, Route B in Nier Automata was also terrible. At least in that case it onlyy happened once, and felt like it added more meaningful story.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It is terrible, not exaggerated, and it did ruin the game for me. You telling me that I should be able to rush through the content if I don't like it is a really poor defense. I enjoyed the game, and I (falsely) assumed that it was going to reward me for trying to understand more of what's going on in the world after this timeline reset.

It's been a while since I played it, and my memory is kinda piss sometimes, but I know for certain I was very much in love with this game before Chapter 5, and fell off hard I think somewhere through Chapter 6. If it truly only takes "a couple of hours" to get through all of Chapter 5-8(?) then I don't really think the game does a great job at laying out the minimum requirements, because I'm pretty sure I spent at least 2 hours on Chapter 5 alone. The battles were roughly the same as the last go around but tougher, and my team wasn't quite strong enough to fight a few of them, so I had to grind in at least one place. I remember some vampire-like boss that was doing work. Anyway, throughout all of this I was looking for new dialog - some valuable addition to the story, and there were some fun new exchanges, but I really don't remember anything standing out. Certainly nothing that would have made be consider Chapter 5 as being worth my time.

I reached Chapter 6, convinced myself to play probably another hour to see what had changed in the world, and once again I wasn't seeing it. And maybe I'm wrong but the battles were even tougher than before? I consulted a friend who did play through more, and he told me it resets a couple more times and that not a whole lot changes. After this I quit and traded in the game.

On the subject of repeating big chunks of game as part of the narrative, Route B in Nier Automata was also terrible. At least in that case it onlyy happened once, and felt like it added more meaningful story.

You only have to do the four crystal bosses for each repetition and it's obvious from the UI. You don't have to repeat any Asterisk holder fights.

The vampire is not required(neither is the sage).

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
You only have to do the four crystal bosses for each repetition and it's obvious from the UI. You don't have to repeat any Asterisk holder fights.

The vampire is not required(neither is the sage).

This is where my memory isn't strong enough to remember for sure why I did what I did. What I was probably doing was looking for changes in the world. It's not like the game is going out of it's way to tell me that not much had changed. I understand what folks are saying in that I could rush if I went back to play, but as somebody that cared a lot when I was playing, I assumed they'd be doing more with changes in the world, and they weren't.

If the game got some kind of a remaster I'd probably pick it up, and with the knowledge I have now I'd rush those sections. But that doesn't really excuse them.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Something this developer needs to get away from is putting a boss rush mode at the end of all of their games

bravely 1 did it when you had to fight all the bosses over again like what 4 times? Game was so good up until that point

then octopath traveler they make you fight all the bosses again before the final boss and if you died you would have to fight them all over again

why does this developer like putting this at the end of their games

don't do this with bravely 2 please

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Something this developer needs to get away from is putting a boss rush mode at the end of all of their games

bravely 1 did it when you had to fight all the bosses over again like what 4 times? Game was so good up until that point

then octopath traveler they make you fight all the bosses again before the final boss and of you died you would have to fight them all over again

why does this developer like putting this at the end of their games

don't do this with bravely 2 please

They are different developers. Octopath just had that as a post-game challenge boss rush mode that doesn't even unlock anything after you beat it, with all of the plot revelations and info being told before you fight the final part.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They are different developers. Octopath just had that as a post-game challenge boss rush mode that doesn't even unlock anything after you beat it, with all of the plot revelations and info being told before you fight the final part.
I guess he was optional but still consider that the final boss

Oct 27, 2017
Oh my god I just found out about this. I 100%ed both games, I'm getting a switch next year

Edit: so i will assume next game is called bravely second 2

Edit second: of course that joke has been run to death already in this thread alone

Edit II: I hope they do mean it when they say "new world, new characters". As much as I liked the original game, I don't want to fight profiteur or any of the old asterisk holders a third time, various parts of BS felt like a retread due to this

Last edited:

Batatina

Oct 25, 2017
Edinburgh, UK
I would love if they remastered the first two into a collection before this one drops. But given the 2D background nature of those games, that's probably impossible.

Fugo

Nov 16, 2017
I can hardly imagine BD without neither 3D (loved the 3d effect, at least on N3DS!) nor the
internal camera, loved how it was integral part of the plot
, but I'm intrigued

Deleted member 426

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can hardly imagine BD without neither 3D (loved the 3d effect, at least on N3DS!) nor the
internal camera, loved how it was integral part of the plot
, but I'm intrigued
I really liked what they did with the gyro in the sequel. Next year is going to be soooo good for Square Enix. Trials of Mana, VII Remake, Bravely II, TWEWY 2. Insane. SE could have their Capcom moment.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
do you mean them working in 2 or 3 old IPs and nothing else?
SE have been producing great games throughout the PS4 generation, but up until the last year or so they've struggled with many of their existing IPs. So what I mean is that like Capcom they finally work out what to do with the franchises they have. That's what Capcom have nailed and that's why people are super pleased with Capcom right now. I hope it doesn't come at the expense of the other games they make as well, because you're right, SE are better than Capcom with smaller/new IPs right now. But if SE can successfully reinvigorate FF, Bravely TWEWY and Mana, in addition to what they've already achieved with DQ, KH and Nier, then that'll be Square Enix firmly back on form.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SE have been producing great games throughout the PS4 generation, but up until the last year or so they've struggled with many of their existing IPs. So what I mean is that like Capcom they finally work out what to do with the franchises they have. That's what Capcom have nailed and that's why people are super pleased with Capcom right now. I hope it doesn't come at the expense of the other games they make as well, because you're right, SE are better than Capcom with smaller/new IPs right now. But if SE can successfully reinvigorate FF, Bravely TWEWY and Mana, in addition to what they've already achieved with DQ, KH and Nier, then that'll be Square Enix firmly back on form.
what i'm saying is while SE did have some dark times (last gen, specially) when it came to their console output, they've always been quite good at managing a much larger number of games and IPs than capcom. while capcom has recently made some great games, i feel like that has come at the cost of ignoring several of their fan-favorite IPs, and also ignoring a big chunk of their fanbase.
SE is doing really good and 2020 is looking to be a huge year for them, but i just see it as them continuing and improving on what they've been doing for years. to me having a "capcom moment" isn't something i want many japanese publishers to have, cuz i enjoy variety and more risky, smaller games than capcom's laser focus on their biggest IPs and ignoring everything els.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what i'm saying is while SE did have some dark times (last gen, specially) when it came to their console output, they've always been quite good at managing a much larger number of games and IPs than capcom. while capcom has recently made some great games, i feel like that has come at the cost of ignoring several of their fan-favorite IPs, and also ignoring a big chunk of their fanbase.
SE is doing really good and 2020 is looking to be a huge year for them, but i just see it as them continuing and improving on what they've been doing for years. to me having a "capcom moment" isn't something i want many japanese publishers to have, cuz i enjoy variety and more risky, smaller games than capcom's laser focus on their biggest IPs and ignoring everything els.
Yep I don't disagree. When I say 'capcom moment' I don't mean I want them to be like capcom. I mean I hope they can do what capcom did with biggest IPS.

StayHandsome

Nov 30, 2017
I hope that they collaborate with the western branch during development so we don't end up with a creepily risqué Japanese release and a watered down English version.

Lanaka

May 11, 2018
new years card from the BD team

enlpduau8aeczzfarjar.jpeg

Agnes on the right, looks like Ophelia (from Octopath Traveler) on the left...my initial thought when I saw this on my feed was that the middle girl is the new vestal (?) from BDII, but comparing the screenshot in the OP, as well as the character art, to this, makes me think otherwise. Anyone have any thoughts? On mobile, or I'd repost the images for comparison.

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Are the towns going to be towns and not diaromas this time?

I think it was cool on 3DS, but on the Switch hoping they just go all out with towns you can freely roam/explore with their great artstyle.

That's what I would expect for a sequel on Switch, but judging by those still shots of locations we get in the trailer I'm guessing towns will work like the first game.

Edit: there were some bigger areas but lots of towns felt limited, even if they looked really great.

Desmond

Oct 25, 2017
new years card from the BD team

enlpduau8aeczzfarjar.jpeg

Quick and dirty blurb translation.

A bit delayed, but happy New Year
Back at work from today.
Anyhow, this year we have Bravely!
All of us here will be working very hard to make all of you very happy.

Gorgeous art by the way!

Kromeo

Oct 27, 2017

I think it was cool on 3DS, but on the Switch hoping they just go all out with towns you can freely roam/explore with their great artstyle.

That's what I would expect for a sequel on Switch, but judging by those still shots of locations we get in the trailer I'm guessing towns will work like the first game.

Edit: there were some bigger areas but lots of towns felt limited, even if they looked really great.

The first two were very budget games in a lot more ways than just the towns, I hope there's a lot of improvements on that front. i suspect the first game sold a lot better than they ever expected it to

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Agnes on the right, looks like Ophelia (from Octopath Traveler) on the left...my initial thought when I saw this on my feed was that the middle girl is the new vestal (?) from BDII, but comparing the screenshot in the OP, as well as the character art, to this, makes me think otherwise. Anyone have any thoughts? On mobile, or I'd repost the images for comparison.

Looks like Adelaide from Various Daylife

various-daylife-apple-arcade-4-4419.jpg

Only just remembered that game even happened

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017

I hope thats the big improvement in this game. The town art is lovely, but I hope they feel now like FFIX towns, with their houses, and NPCs, and shops that are not menus.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm excited for the preview campaign for this game, whenever it starts. Since characters all have different heights and body types, this is likely going to be the first of the Final Fantasy spinoffs to have totally different costumes for each party member for each class. FFG, FFD, Bravely Default, Second, all had just a Male outfit and Female outfit with only slight swaps. Octopath had unique costumes, but only 12 class for 96 outfits total. Final Fantasy 5 was still the record holder with like ~125 outfits or something, but Bravely Default 2 might end up setting the record for most distinct outfits in a Job System game. FFX-2 had different outfits per character, but only 3 characters.

I really loved Bravely Default's costumes, and really want to see what the team has with a slightly higher budget,

That's where the budget savings come from, and how the adventure can be large without a AA/AAA budget. The expectation for free camera in towns is what made RPGs shy away from the scale of older games when on HD platforms (Towns are hard, etc.).

Last edited: