• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
wtf?

So because it's Switch certain art styles shouldn't be used?

It's an art style, but your loss I guess.

this is the artstyle of the games and the gameplay art should try to match it

81SwgDf4KIL._SX569_.jpg

But I guess they treat the Switch like a new handheld with small screen ignoring the console part.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Not impressive visually. Looks like they worked off the 3DS engine or something. Chibi designs again is also a bummer.

Fireclad

Oct 27, 2017
The Void
As a new switch owner that shit had me stoked until I saw what the actual in game assets look like. Wow, that's... uh, well... uh... certainly a look to go for.

I usually really like chibi aesthetics in media but, yikes. I don't want to say it's outright ugly, but it sure is unappealing as all hell.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
this is the artstyle of the games and the gameplay art should try to match it

81SwgDf4KIL._SX569_.jpg

But I guess they treat the Switch like a new handheld with small screen ignoring the console part.
FFIX also got chibi characters and that was on a TV after 2 games with non chibi characters.
Is a design choice. I mean the faces look a bit weird, but the characters have pretty good texture materials for their clothess and nice modeling and use of normals.

Machine Law

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense. Bravely Second was a sequel to Bravely Default, kind of like FF X-2. This game will probably be set on an entirely different universe.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Too bad characters don't look a bit... more than that, but it's still a slight improvement.

Anyway that most certainly won't matter compared to narration, writing, systems... hoping they go with something original.

Syntsui

Oct 25, 2017
Bravely Second was the first game of the Bravely Second franchise, I don't know why y'all are confused.

That's said, holy shit this is a dream come true to me. I adore Bravely stuff.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
I wish SE would fucking drop the chibi look for every Nintendo game ffs wtffffff.

Super excited for this though.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
FFIX also got chibi characters and that was on a TV after 2 games with non chibi characters.
Is a design choice. I mean the faces look a bit weird, but the characters have pretty good texture materials for their clothess and nice modeling and use of normals.

Difference is that FF9 was supposed to look chibi even in the artwork. Whoever designed BD characters clearly didn't have chibi in mind.

anyways I'm not totally out. Just really disappointing, because I can't stand chibi characters especially on big screens

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
I could've accepted the name for this more if Bravely Default didn't end like it did.

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
So, who's Claytechworks? They are credited with "Bravely Default" in the trailer, but looking at their website this seems to be referring to the smartphone game. This seems to be the first time they work on a console game, although I didn't check whether they might have been working on Bravely Default in a support capacity.

Still, consider me surprised that with Octopath and now BD2 they all but abandoned the partnership with Silicon Studio. I'm not quite sure what to make of this, but I think I've heard that Silicon kinda imploded anyway (with key staff forming/joining CyGames, I believe).

Also, it's a huge shame they apparently weren't able to get back Yoshida. I'm sure the new art will be fine too, but Yoshida's one of a kind and his art really made up a huge chunk of Bravely's appeal to me. Nice they've got Revo back at least.

atbigelow

Oct 29, 2017
So excited for this! The chibi models looked totally good. Hoping they flex a lot more of the Switch's hardware, though. BD definitely had to work around the 3DS's lack of polygon power.

AND REVO <3

RedDevil

Dec 25, 2017
Finally the new Bravely game. I wonder if the name is definitive or if it's just a working title or something as of now the name is a little confusing.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
The naming did confuse me too but seeing it compared to "Final Fantasy" makes more sense. But I suppose we'll see as more details come out. Maybe they'll pull one of them gosh darn plot twists

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
OMG. This is *AWESOME* news. I can't wait for this, at all :D. And I'm DEFINITELY going to be preordering the collector's edition, too.

I'm so glad this is actually happening :D :D :D.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Yeah the upgrade from 3ds to switch should be more dramatic to me, almost seems like it's a smaller budget or super early.

I wonder what will be the visual style of the game for environments cause we can see a piece of a 3d scene that looks more traditional but also city concept art, but just in paralax. So will they keep the strength of the 3ds one by having some giant hand drawn texture on a 3d model ? I hope so.

kuroneko0509

Oct 25, 2017
revo is doing the music is somewhat expected tbh, since his job for attack on titan is nearly over. the casualty for this is sound horizon 8th story is delayed once again lmao.

anyway can't wait for linked horizon bd2 concert in 2 years time. part of my disappointment with ryo doing b2nd music was no concert done for it.

Jun 2, 2019
Yesssss

Please keep the chibi aesthetic! That's the Bravely Default i love.

Also FF started going awry when they switched to realistically proportioned models so i actually have a case against that. Chibi all day erry day

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Man, I really need to go find my 3DS and play the first two games. And finish Stella Glow as well. Love Octopath so definitely excited for this.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Will we get a Bravely Second 2 at some point?

Makes sense. Bravely Second was a sequel to Bravely Default, kind of like FF X-2. This game will probably be set on an entirely different universe.

Would be pretty great if that's the case. Not really a big fan of direct sequels in jrpgs. Though Second was great (Better than Default, even), new worlds always beat recycled stuff.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
The thing is, if it is a reebot/separate game (which I doubt), why would they do pretty much the same general plot of the original? New heroes of light going around to save new crystals, why not just remaster the original and call it a day? There has to be more to this game, as is tradition.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
At the very least I'd like to know what happens to both Edea and Ringabell.

Unlike the other protagonists, their stories have loose threads.

Oct 29, 2017
Square lives to fuck with numbers. I swear if they were suddenly owners of Call of Duty first thing they'll do is announce Call of Duty 5: Modern Warfare 4

Schopenhauer

Oct 27, 2017
Hope they lose the replay parts of the game for true ending bullshit and just add more unique content, will be a hard pass from me if they keep it.

rhandino

Oct 25, 2017
I swear, is only the "hardcore" that bitch so much about S-E strange names and think their sales suffer for it

Like, BD sold a ton back in the day on 3DS and KH2.8 was also a big seller.

The GP are fine

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It feels like this was a game mainly made to please fans of the Bravely series and not something made to broaden the appeal and attract new fans.

Nothing wrong with that of course but I'll wait for other projects from this team. Happy for the Bravely fans who are getting what they wanted.

Ryu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SMOKES THAT MEANS THERE'S STILL CHANCE FOR A BREATH OF FIRE VI AM I RIGHT?