• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think this is a good comparison, even though I get what you mean.

Tales of satisfies totally different audience. Bravely is more of a classic fantasy story, with princesses and castles and knights... etc. Tales is more of a battle shounen story.

I want to be honest and say that the story is not why you play a Bravely Default game. Gameplay mechanics (risk/reward system), job system, Revo music and a fine art-style are the highlights of this series.

Story/characters are not bad by any means, but don't expect too much.

I was going from the perspective of having an emphasis on the character's big (tropey) personalities rather than intricate plot.

Question for someone not super familiar with the series. I played the demo and liked it well enough, but don't Default and Brave mechanics basically encourage long drawn out battles? I didn't have much of a problem with it since I played the demo only up until that Bard boss but I could see that getting old. I also wouldn't be surprised if I was just playing the game wrong either.

It can be the exact opposite, especially for random encounters. If you can dish out the damage you can take out the enemies in a single round by going 4x Brave.

Oct 25, 2017
Question for someone not super familiar with the series. I played the demo and liked it well enough, but don't Default and Brave mechanics basically encourage long drawn out battles? I didn't have much of a problem with it since I played the demo only up until that Bard boss but I could see that getting old. I also wouldn't be surprised if I was just playing the game wrong either.

Regular encounters can potentially be blasted immediately by doing 4x turns right off the bat, but if you estimate wrong you'll probably just die as the enemy gets 4x turns in a row while you count back up out of negatives.

Boss fights are a different game entirely. Both of the boss fights in the demo had a bunch of adds, and were generally quite long. Adds play very nicely with the system as there's a legitimate decision on whether to burn them down fast to take less damage in the long run, even if you're more exposed in the short run.

- YouTube

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Generally, the areas where the game seems to be much better designed than the original are:

- Boss fights (more emphasis on having multiple targets in fights). They seem far more designed around the game mechanics.
- The World Map (more locations and treasures and special encounters)
- Character Job designs (vastly more detailed designs, great re-concepting of Final Fantasy classics, totally different for each of the four characters which is the first for a 3D FF game).
- Dungeon design. Dungeons in FFG and BD1 totally fucking sucked. These look like a big improvement.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The Japanese BD2 job page lists 23 jobs with ""and more..." at the bottom. So we're getting at least as many jobs as Bravely Default 1 had (24) and maybe as much or more than Bravely Second (30).

In the previous games, you could frequently win random battles in a single turn by using the Brave mechanic multiple times, so no, the battles weren't particularly drawn out. Bosses were more of a give and take, but that's how they should be.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Do you play on TV?

I thought the game isn't very well optimized for console-mode, felt much more beautiful to me in handheld mode. the whole game feels like it was made with it being a "portable" game in mind to me.
Nah it looks bad on handheld mode too.

Switch screen is also not great looking IMO so that doesn't help. Its problems are definitely enhanced on TV I guess.

Oct 29, 2017
I am really just... not into this sequel. The character models look so off and it just doesn't appeal to me at all, compared to the two original 3DS games.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
The game is downloaded and ready to go for me. The wait will be hard. Some of you posters need to get your eyes checked, the game looks fantastic.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
What changed about the character models before? I don't get what people see that is totally different, other than that they no longer all have the same shape so they could cheaply reuse outfit designs across the party. Elvis (the black mage asterisk) looks pretty similar to the black mage asterisk from BD1.

I just really don't get why people think this

looks worse than this:

Are these rose tinted goggles? The benefit of shoving something through a super low resolution screen? Female party member in the Salve Maker outfit... and people are seriously arguing that it is the BD2 version that looks low budget?

It's absolutely rose tinted goggles. The characters in the new game show the same emotion as they did in Bravely Second. it's not hard to cherry pick a screenshot where every character has an almost deadpan look in this game, and the same was true of 1/Second. However any video out their shows the faces of the speaking character having plenty of emotion by franchise standards.

It's valid to say you don't like some of the more elongated faces in this game, or perhaps you don't think the art style suits higher resolution, but it's not like they've diverged all that much from the previous games.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Downloaded the latest demo and I noticed how long the loading was and even when entering battle it took forever. Turns out I had other games being updated in the background . Once they're done I will try it. I've only played the first demo.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have two questions:

1. Will the Japanese cart of Bravely Default II have English text?

2. When is embargo for reviews?