• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
The characters are so ugly lol

I prefer Octopath art direction a lot compared to this one

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Weird video/trailer

Saying that can't wait to re-experience the peak of turn-based JRPG combat.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Feels like even Nintendo doesn't want to spend to much marketing money on this game at this point. Gonna wait for reviews but it feels like SE shoehorned this one in and hope Nintendo marketing/publishing publishing wood handle the rest lol.
You get lectured by a british woman trailer.
Best Part of the trailer.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
To be fair, I feel like this trailer only exists to help newer Switch owners going 'what does 'Bravely Default' even mean?'

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
I liked the first one a lot, but I'm so put off by the character models I'm not interested in this one. I know that sounds insane but I really, really don't like the way this game looks.

Hzsn724

Nov 10, 2017
This trailer addresses everything I hated about the battle system, and I love the first two games dearly.

May 19, 2020
pretty bad trailer that could have just explained the battle system for newbies without a stupid gimmick. the fact that this game is just getting dumped out without much fanfare at the end of feb is telling

MatrixMan.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Looks fantastic. Really not warming to the character models but can't wait to dig in. The JRPG we need right now in these dark times.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
TwkD81I.jpg

The look of Bravely Default was perfect.

Socivol

Oct 25, 2017
That was a terrible trailer. Maybe I haven't paid attention but were the character models always this weird looking? Maybe I'm thinking of Bravely 2nd that looked more similar to the original.

mrmickfran

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Gongaga
The narration made me feel bad about the way I play BD lmao

Side note, I just realized that the battle theme is a remix of FFV's battle theme

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's weird to see a UE4 game so jagged and raw. are they not using TAA here?

SĂ­riocaz

Oct 19, 2019
I'll be the crazy one to say that I don't have a problem with the models. Yes, they're weird, dull, uninspired and everything else you want, but... they're fine. In fact, they don't seem too different from the original's characters.

Arkeband

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Literally nobody in the entire world does. Probably not even the developers.

I don't mind them, and I think it looks interesting when combined with the strangely super-textured environments and clothing - they seem to be going for a miniature puppet/doll look similar to Link's Awakening for Switch and I think it works. It remains to be seen whether they can emote well in cutscenes I suppose.

Wolf Parade

Feb 1, 2018
I liked the first one a lot, but I'm so put off by the character models I'm not interested in this one. I know that sounds insane but I really, really don't like the way this game looks.

It doesn't sound insane at all. I don't mind chibi style models, I love the designs in Alliance Alive for instance. There's something about the plasticky texture that really turn me off these designs. They should have gone cell shaded, maybe something closer to Genshin Impact.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
It's not insane. Unlikeable characters are a no-go for good storytelling. It's like watching a movie with really unlikeable main characters you can't identify with. Why should you care about what happens to them when you don't like them in the first place?

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
IGNORING THE HATE IN THIS THREAD

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! This will most likey be GOTY for me unless that new Zelda game comes out at the end of the year.

SĂ­riocaz

Oct 19, 2019
They look so lifeless, even when interacting with each other, that I feel it's going to be hard to care about them.
Well, this is just me, but if their interactions themselves are interesting, it doesn't matter how they look or how they say their parts. Of course, it's a bad point for presentation, but... You have the text down there, if that's good, then you're good to go.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I really really do not like the human models.
Yeah ... that and the Brave-system. Honesty, Bravely Default never was that good IMHO. Gave up on the first game mid-game and heard really bad things about the second half of the game. Didn't play the second yet.
They should have build on Octopath Traveler concept. Way more potential and superior, timeless art-style.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Yeah ... that and the Brave-system. Honesty, Bravely Default never was that good IMHO. Gave up on the first game mid-game and heard really bad things about the second half of the game. Didn't play the second yet.
They should have build on Octopath Traverl concept. Way more potential and superior, timeless art-style.
This cannot be overstated enough.

Oct 25, 2017
IGNORING THE HATE IN THIS THREAD

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! This will most likey be GOTY for me unless that new Zelda game comes out at the end of the year.

At least people aren't complaining about the price, which was the cornerstone of the Octopath's hype threads.

IMO the game looks considerably better than the originals did, and I think people selecting them are just cherry picking nice looking screenshots rather than watching footage. The chibi look with lots of DoF is a nice way to translate old-school designs to look like little figurines, and is also a nice sidestep to how the original games had 3D thus "actual" DoF. I'm also a sucker for any game that has dozens of classes with distinct designs for each character, which is super rare even among the FF series (many/most just have Male/Female outfits).

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Put me in the camp that doesn't mind the character models. The game looks like a diorama.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
When do they start the real marketing of this game? It feels like it'll come out just like that and tons of people are going to miss it.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've enjoyed me some controversial looking games before, as sometimes I just love "ugly" looking games, like I adore TP including most of its NPCs.....but damn this are is just off putting for some reason.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They should have build on Octopath Traveler concept. Way more potential and superior, timeless art-style.

Good thing it's not either/or. Octopath sequel is no doubt in development at Acquire.

The Brave/Default system is awesome though.=P