• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Sony's legacy management

• Who cares about those games?

Votes: 229 30.5%
  • It hurts!

Votes: 196 26.1%
  • They will be back

Votes: 179 23.8%
  • Sony should do a garage sale

Votes: 147 19.6%

• Total voters

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This is sounding like the myth that sitting close to your TV causes blindness.

VR can certainly cause eye strain and headaches today, though the same is true for TVs. None of this is lasting damage.

Infact, once VR headsets can enable your eyes to focus naturally, likely in about 5 years, it will be much healthier than playing on a TV because it will be impossible to get eye strain at that point, or headaches for that matter.

I have weird eyes. I get severe migraines just from playing games with too much screen shake. It's not fun and I also don't GET anything out of "immersion" so there's zero reason to waste money on hardware that causes me physical discomfort and doesn't improve the experience in any way.

MalcomFleX

Alt account
Banned
Sep 9, 2019
I love how you can't even bother to think of a single example, lmao. My point was that they take themselves too seriously. And it looks like you do too.
He's been here a day and already has a long history of telling us how bad Nintendo and MS are and how amazing Sony is at everything. None of the three are perfect and none are terrible. The main reason I prefer Sony is they almost always offer third parties a better canvas on which to create their art. Except the PS3 and Vita.

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
I feel like Sony knows how to retire IPs when they are not doing so well. Rather than continuosly milk it.

Like I'm glad that Guerilla moved to create HZD rather than another Killzone.

And then we also have GoW (2018), which was a fresh take on the series, rather than the same old formula from the older games.

gravity-rush-3.jpg

Remember when they shut down Gravity Rush 2's servers like a year after the game came out?
Except GR2 was a bad game. I don't have the figures but I don't think it did well in total sales either.

GR1 was awesome, loved it.

GR2 had some moments but clearly it needed more polishing, fuck whoever green lighted that camera movement ingame (that black eagle mission especially). Its motion sickness inducing, and no, GR1 camera never had this problem.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
8 million is pretty big collapse from the 20+ million the franchise reliably did on PS1, PS2 and PS3. And this in spite of PS4's meteoric success.
Where are you getting your numbers from GT never sold that amount .
It sold around 10 million per game.
Also you are wrong about R&C since the PS4 version was IG best selling game before spidey.

Xwing

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
What? MLb the show, GT Sport, Every body's Golf, Wipeout, Detroit become human, Shadows of Colussus. Last Guardian, Resogun, Anything hoursemargue has made, Astro bot, Knack, Mid-evil, Dreams, most anything on VR need me to keep going? I'm not the one taking my wrong opinion too serious.

So, VR Games (which I have zero interest in investing in right now), Sports games (which I have zero interest in), Detroit (which is mediocre hamfisted drama), some ports of PS3 games (which btw, PS3 was the last time they tried to diversify), Last Guardian (a super serious and depressing game, although admittedly more mechanically interesting than most), MediEvil (mediocre remake)...

I don't see any real effort in nearly any of these examples. Again, their biggest pushes this gen have been serious, story driven games. That's cool if you like that, but it's just not for me.

Call me when Ape Escape makes its triumphant and much needed return.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I have weird eyes. I get severe migraines just from playing games with too much screen shake. It's not fun and I also don't GET anything out of "immersion" so there's zero reason to waste money on hardware that causes me physical discomfort and doesn't improve the experience in any way.
Yeah...no. Playing Re 7 in Vr was a totally different and far superior experience then playing it traditionally.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
So, VR Games (which I have zero interest in investing in right now), Sports games (which I have zero interest in), Detroit (which is mediocre hamfisted drama), some ports of PS3 games (which btw, PS3 was the last time they tried to diversify), Last Guardian (a super serious and depressing game, although admittedly more mechanically interesting than most), MediEvil (mediocre remake)...

I don't see any real effort in nearly any of these examples. Again, their biggest pushes this gen have been serious, story driven games. That's cool if you like that, but it's just not for me.

Call me when Ape Escape makes its triumphant and much needed return.
So you fall back to handwaving those games away cause reasons and moving goal posts..you not liking those games is irrelevant to this discussion, you made a generalisation about their first party that is factually wrong and got called out for it. Those were just a few examples BTW, there are more..research.

Cerulean_skylark

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
i think the biggest issue with Sony is that for the entirety of PS4 they have been absolutely obsessed with looking cool and mature. All of their games have been Sad Dad or something equally depressing.

PS1 - PS2 era, they heavily invested in video game ass video games. Now, besides Knack (which is painfully mediocre) and Gravity Rush (an amazing couple of games that were marketed horribly and is now presumably dead), Sony just does not have anything mechanically interesting, instead preferring mature, story focused games.

Look, I'm a big fan of Uncharted and Horizon, but that kind of aesthetic and storytelling can get really boring after awhile. Sony needs to diversify to keep my attention for more than one title a year.

latest

220px-Aloy_%28Horizon_Zero_Dawn%29.png

george-vostrikov-daniel1.jpg

8cb229eb41def712575f306859ecb735.jpg

Some real sad daddies here.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
I Prefer this than having always the same IPs ..

I feel like Sony fans (like my case) buy a new console because of the Studios (ND, Gerrilla, Santa Mónica, etc), they know that they will deliver, doesn't matter if the new games are from old IPs or new ones.
As a example I prefer that ND next game (after the TLOUS2) is from a New IP than a new Uncharted, and I love the Uncharted games.

In the oposite is Nintendo, they are ace on having established IPS, but for me (that never had a nintendo console) I feel that all generations has the same games. This is not a critic to Nintendo, is only my opinion as a outsider.
Edit: MS is even worse with Forza/Gears/Halo..

DarthBuzzard

Banned
Jul 17, 2018
Like I said, this will be a bigger issue on a TV once VR fixes the issue. You can't fix it on TVs by the nature of how 2D displays work.

That being said if you value immersion in any way, whether that be through gameplay, story, or multiplayer - VR improves the experience. So to say it doesn't improve the experience in any way would mean you either don't understand what VR provides or simply don't play games for immersion.

OP
OP
zoodoo

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Their indifference to their legacy is what made them release the shitty ps classic. I am still mad at them for that garbage, overpriced product.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
So you fall back to handwaving those games away cause reasons and moving goal posts..you not liking those games is irrelevant to this discussion, you made a generalisation about their first party that is factually wrong and got called out for it. Those were just a few examples BTW, there are more..research.

I've never moved the goal post bud, I said in my very fist post that the "goal post" was Sony maintaining my personal interest, lmao. I love how you refuse to read my entire posts for context and focus on one off sentences that you can try to score points on.

Oct 27, 2017
Since the ps1 days Sony has created several amazing ips but most of them are gone and forgotten. They all went to a similar life cycle. They get a 1st game that people love, a second that feels samey but still good, a 3rd/4th lackluster entry and poof, they're gone. Sony has very little faith in their franchises, once they realized people are losing interest they just retire them forever. Instead of reinvigorating them and giving them a new direction, they just axe them. In my opinion, that leads to them not having a memorable legacy like Nintendo. People only remember their latest games. How many gamers today know of Legend of Dragoon, Colony Wars, Siphon Filter, Twisted Metal, Genji and many more. They all vanished after a few entries. The same will happen to more recent franchises such as Resistance, Killzone, infamous, Gravity Rush, Tearaway.

People will probably say that it's normal because sales started declining. True but they could still have been salvaged. One of the issues I think is related to the fact that they release similar entries for the same franchise in rapid succession and create fatigue. It's not true for all the ones I mentioned but for most of them. I am looking at they current successful ips and can predict the future victims of their long term strategy. A franchise like Horizon screams retirement after 3 games. It's sad cause I really liked Zero Dawn just as much as I liked Resistance Fall of Man.

For me no two Sony consoles are remembered for the same franchises. When I think of ps1 Sony's output, I think of Siphon Filter, Legend of Dragoon, Crash, Twisted Metal. For ps2, I remember Jak and Daxter, Genji (really like that game), GoW, Rachet and Clank. On ps3 it was Resistance, Killzone, Heavenly Sword, Uncharted.

Their strategy is not all bad though. Over the years they have created a huge library of very different ips. And They always have some new exciting projects. They are just not good at recycling.

Now let's see Knack 3 get announced as a ps5 launch game.
This is not 100% true.

uncharted was big both PS3 and PS4, as with TLOU, LBP. GT, GOW, Ratchet, SotC from PS2.

they just remade Medievil. Not to mention PS2 remasters on Ps3 like Jak, Sly, Ratchet, Ico/SotC, etc. Wipeout for all of their consoles. Syphon Filter had three gens. Ratchet has 3, Sly got 2.

I think it's a good thing they have so much variety.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
I'm going to give them credit for experimenting. They don't always treat their games well (Puppeteer/Gravity Rush), but if the sales match up with expectations or exceed them, they will support a franchise until they feel it isn't sustainable any longer (Resistance/Killzone).

So, the initial accusation is...half true?

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Don't think so. It was developed by Game Republic which was an independent studio that did Folklore also for Sony. but i think the IP belongs to Sony
Correct me if i am wrong
Genji was first used in a Namco game called The Genji and The Heike Clans. So that's why I am wondering as they are the same character.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Like I said, this will be a bigger issue on a TV once VR fixes the issue. You can't fix it on TVs by the nature of how 2D displays work.

That being said if you value immersion in any way, whether that be through gameplay, story, or multiplayer - VR improves the experience. So to say it doesn't improve the experience in any way would mean you either don't understand what VR provides or simply don't play games for immersion.

Correct. I don't value immersion at all.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
I've never moved the goal post bud, I said in my very fist post that the "goal post" was Sony maintaining my personal interest, lmao. I love how you refuse to read my entire posts for context and focus on one off sentences that you can try to score points on.
This is your post:

"i think the biggest issue with Sony is that for the entirety of PS4 they have been absolutely obsessed with looking cool and mature. All of their games have been Sad Dad or something equally depressing"

You did more then move goal posts lmao....this is totally incorrect. All of their games...sure... Thats literally a couple of games in their entire catalogue, and summing them up as sad dad is reductionist. If you played GOW it has a lot of comedy and it's pretty well done.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Just you wait OP. Knack 3 is gonna be a launch title for PS5 and you'll feel silly for having made this thread.
Knack 3 launch day ps5, game of the generation, most influencual game design and narrative design of the gen. The dark soul last of us of the gen.

Gta vi to be a copy lf knack 3
Bloodborne 2 to rip knack 3 combat
Cyberpunk 2087 to be a spiritual sequel to knack 3
Assassin's creed japan to be heavily influenced by Knack 3 non linear storytelling

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
This is your post:

i think the biggest issue with Sony is that for the entirety of PS4 they have been absolutely obsessed with looking cool and mature. All of their games have been Sad Dad or something equally depressing.

You did more then move goal posts lmao....this is totally incorrect. All of their games...sure...

You quote the first paragraph of my post divorcing it of the context of the following two paragraphs. You're clown shoes, lmao.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Because they do focus on

You quote the first paragraph of my post divorcing it of the context of the following two paragraphs. You're clown shoes, lmao.
Sure whatever you say, what you said was BS, that's the facts.

They don't , as only a couple of games even fit your silly description.

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
It's hard to think of them mismanaging Legend of Dragoon or Heavenly Sword since those had a single game each. LOD in particular is silly, in some ways, because it was a PS1 game that did "okay" and never got a sequel, so it's hard to really think of it as something anyone other than die hard fans of the original will want to see return.

Wild Arms is one I would like to see come back to grace, since we got to 5, which I really enjoyed, then got XF, which was fantastic but not a normal RPG anyway,. and then... a mobile game. That we only ever got WA3 as a PS2 classic hurts a bit, because 5 very much deserves another chance, possibly even a remaster along with ACF, 3 and maybe 4 (I guess, if we have to...).

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Actually, it doesn't hurt and it's a testament to how much I feel Nintendo should just embrace it too.

But I WOULD love a good Jak & Daxter sequel. But that old guard is long gone, so rip.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
If that is the standard we are using than Sony might be one of the best. That's not because they are doing a good job but the industry itself is god awful at this. Just take a gander at some of the IPs EA, Activision, Ubisoft, and so on are sitting on. In a few cases, those IPs weren't shuttered because they were selling poorly, compared to their predecessors and those in the genre, but because they were not going to sell tens of millions of copies.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love how you can't even bother to think of a single example, lmao. My point was that they take themselves too seriously. And it looks like you do too.
I can give lot's but when you don't know what your talking about and continue to prove that your post are trolling and show a level of delusion.

Thardin

Jan 7, 2018
I for one am glad they don't have franchises with a 5 at the end of the title.

Just because Sony decides to fuck up their naming scheme before they get to the 5th entry doesn't mean Sony hasn't run some IPs on that long.

Uncharted and GoW both got to 5 main entries (with a couple portable spinoffs in there as well).

Killzone is at 4 main games with 2 portable entries.

Papacheeks

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Watertown, NY
Sony has such a strong first party showing and has nurtured their ips pretty well between this gen and last. I would like to see them go back to the well on ps1 and ps2 games that they could push on the PS5 however.

I want them to make a Legend of dragoon remake similar to FF7 REMAKE, only not in installments. I think a reimagined legend of dragoon with a good battle system and maybe some fleshed out side characters would work well.

Just hope they update it more and treat it better than medievil.

bombermouse

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they keep bringing out great new IPs I'm good.

This. Most IP are tied to a specific generation and have game designed around that. I like new IPs, I don't want the same mascot repurposed again and again.

I wish the would celebrate them more, but I don't want Uncharted Racing or God of War tennis.

I do want Jumping Flash VR very much, thanks.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Except GR2 was a bad game. I don't have the figures but I don't think it did well in total sales either.

GR1 was awesome, loved it.
Don't know about 2, but I felt that 1 was a big missed opportunity (mediocre gameplay in a charming and beautiful game). It's a shame that 2 was sent to die and that the whole GR situation will likely impact future investment in games like these.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I want them to make a Legend of dragoon remake similar to FF7 REMAKE, only not in installments. I think a reimagined legend of dragoon with a good battle system and maybe some fleshed out side characters would work well.

Just hope they update it more and treat it better than medievil.

They'd honestly just need to make an entirely new game. LoD's world isn't anything special and most of the main characters might as well not even exist.

Plus...all the sexism. Yeesh.

BreakerofChains

Alt-Account
Banned
Oct 24, 2019
Just because Sony decides to fuck up their naming scheme before they get to the 5th entry doesn't mean Sony hasn't run some IPs on that long.

Uncharted and GoW both got to 5 main entries (with a couple portable spinoffs in there as well).

Killzone is at 4 main games with 2 portable entries.
No one is saying they don't make sequels/ franchises. Everyone does, pretty much have to to survive the gaming industry.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
I understand that people like the fact that Sony is constantly rotating and bringing out new IPs, or that Sony would rather retire an IP than try and milk it, but I would say in general OP is right. Sony has a lot of franchises that they've either left in the past or struggled to bring into the modern era.

A perfect example would be Ratchet and Clank. While I definitely would not consider it a dead franchise, it's past its peak. The very idea of it sounds like a game from the PS2 era. It continued through the PS3 era and since the PS4 era it has only gotten a single entry. It's like Sony either doesn't know what to do with it or is not interested in making more entries at this time. Sly Cooper is another game reminiscent of that era that they've pretty much left there. Killzone started on PS2, but it very much feels like a franchise of the PS3 era, which had a larger focus on "gritty" shooters.

In fact, I would say God of War is about the only Sony franchise I can think of that has managed to successfully reinvent itself for a new era.

Again, maybe that's a good thing. As long as companies are putting out fun, fresh, and exciting games, I'm pretty indifferent as to whether or not a game is a new IP. I do think that Sony is a lot more focused on putting out new IPs and that's part of their identity.

Xwing

Nov 11, 2017
I mean sure if you blatantly ignore stuff like Spider-Man and Astrobot and you even played Gravity Rush so you're obviously trolling at this point. Tearaway Unfolded was another great game that no one bought. Ratchet and Clank, Bound, The Last Guardian, Dreams, SoTC Remake, etc. More games that don't fit your ridiculous notion.

Oh come on, Spider-Man was pretty emo,
they killed Aunt May for god's sake
. Also, where was the marketing for any of those other examples? Sony doesn't have any confidence in anything besides serious, gritty big boy cool stuff. That's what they spend the big bucks on.