• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A growing number of French women are ditching their bras in the name of comfort and liberty, according to a recent survey, a trend that seems to have been triggered by the three-month Covid-19 lockdown in which many women got used to going without the undergarment.

According to a recent Ifop survey, while just three percent of women said they never or rarely wore a bra before the Covid-19 crisis, this rose to eight percent during the lockdown and stayed at seven percent afterwards.

The trend is even more pronounced among women under 25, 18 percent of whom say they now regularly don't wear a bra in public.

"So what we measured at the end of the lockdown is that this very particular period of isolation at home had indeed been the occasion of a real boom in the practice of No Bra, among all French women," Jean-Philippe Dubrulle, Ifop director of studies, told AFP.

"The number of women who gave up the bra during the lockdown multiplied by three and even more among young women, those under 25, which multiplied by four or five."

More at:
www.france24.com

Bras off: Lockdown triggers rise in French women going braless

A growing number of French women are ditching their bras in the name of comfort and liberty, according to a recent survey, a trend that seems to have been triggered by the three-month Covid-19 lockdown…

Remove if old

shnurgleton

Oct 27, 2017
Boston
User banned (two weeks): Sexist objectification that creates an unwelcome atmosphere for women and other people
plane_sunset.png

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a man, i like that.

okay...

they arent doing it for your pervy pleasure, creep.

My girlfriend always complains that they are uncomfortable, so yeah i can see why folks wouldn't want to wear them. Cant say id be comfortable if society dictated i needed to strap something to my chest every day

Last edited:

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
Makes sense. Hell, if I lived alone I'd walk around naked at least part of the day.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
My wife has not put one on since April and I don't see her going back to regularly wearing one anytime soon.

When she tried a couple of weeks ago, she said that it was terrible and took it off and hung it on the closet door, where it has been since.

Whatever makes women more comfortable, do that shit.

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
My ex-gf was always paranoid of going too long without a bra. Always worried about potential sagging that might happen as a result.

Would love to see her reaction to this news, lol

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
My wife has not put one on since April and I don't see her going back to regularly wearing one anytime soon.

When she tried a couple of weeks ago, she said that it was terrible and took it off and hung it on the closet door, where it has been since.

Proper response.

As a man, i like that.
Improper response... Seriously got to try and make this conversation uncomfortable to women and non-binary people who are already going to be self conscious huh?

GraphicViolets

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Perhaps someone can clarify, but don't bras actually weaken the underlying breast muscle tissue over time?
Im not sure if the articles are accurate but there was a french study that covered that
www.medicalnewstoday.com

Bras Make Breasts Sag, 15-Year Study Concludes

Wearing a bra causes the breasts to sag, weakens the muscles that hold up the breasts, and does not reduce back pain, according to a 15-year study.

Wearing a bra does more harm than good – it does nothing to reduce back pain and weakens the muscles that hold up the breasts, resulting in greater breast sagging, Jean-Denis Rouillon, a sports science expert from the University of Besançon, France, reported after a 15-year study.

responses VVV

No. The french study that claimed as much was completely bunk, and there's very little muscle in breasts. Breasts sag over time because the skin's elastin degrades with age and environmental damage.

I'd be careful just citing news articles about studies:
www.drweil.com

Do Bras Cause Breast Sagging? - DrWeil.com

The claim that bras can cause breast sagging has been popular for a while, but does it hold truth? Find out if wearing a bra has an impact here.

Last edited:

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
My girlfriend sometimes needs them for support. Otherwise it would hurt (sports).
But at home she's mostly bra less. Anyway, whatever works, whenever it works.
There there are more uncomfortable things women could get rid of, if they want. High heels for instance. Those must be terrible to walk in.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't washed many bras other than sports bras in the last 6months. Kinda like how my wife said to me, "Hey....... have you even... worn pants in the last 6 months...?"

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
Im not sure if the articles are accurate but there was a french study that covered that
www.medicalnewstoday.com

Bras Make Breasts Sag, 15-Year Study Concludes

Wearing a bra causes the breasts to sag, weakens the muscles that hold up the breasts, and does not reduce back pain, according to a 15-year study.
I'd be careful just citing news articles about studies:
www.drweil.com

Do Bras Cause Breast Sagging? - DrWeil.com

The claim that bras can cause breast sagging has been popular for a while, but does it hold truth? Find out if wearing a bra has an impact here.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I have a feeling a number of things people were used to doing/wearing every day with regards to their appearance and what not have been cast aside during lockdown.

I used to wear contacts every day and only wore my glasses on the weekends, but I haven't worn contacts since this all started in March. I've literally worn sweat pants and tshirts every day since then too. But I've at least kept up with wearing clean clothes every day and not just wearing the same dirty shit for a week straight.

I'd be curious how makeup habit have changed, if at all, during quarantine. I know people have half joked about getting done up for Zoom calls, but among my co-workers it doesn't seem like any women are doing that. Everyone is just kind of slumming it up and staying comfy.

Will be interesting to see if this actually has a lasting effect, or if everyone will just go back to their old habits once things get a bit more normal again. I know I'll start wearing contacts again regularly, but I think I'll invest in some nicer glasses and switch it up more.

Westbahnhof

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austria
My ex-gf was always paranoid of going too long without a bra. Always worried about potential sagging that might happen as a result.

Would love to see her reaction to this news, lol
Maybe I've been told nonsense, but I was under the assumption that wearing a bra all the time is actually counterproductive when it comes to sagging paranoia?

Anyway, I think it's cool. Like others have said, let women be comfortable: No bra, sports bra, bra, whatever feels best.
Side note, I feel like I'm seeing more unshaved women's legs these days, which I'm happy about too. That people aren't feeling as forced to shave, I mean.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is France, has anyone double-checked that they're not actually talking about casual pub-style restaurants? That was a common mistake in my high school French lessons.

Or maybe COVID is making their arms fall off?

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020

The problem is that often men's responses to a woman going bra-less makes them more uncomfortable than wearing one.

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Every time I try to do the whole bra-less thing I'm thwarted by stairs.

Perhaps someone can clarify, but don't bras actually weaken the underlying breast muscle tissue over time?

No. The french study that claimed as much was completely bunk, and there's very little muscle in breasts. Breasts sag over time because the skin's elastin degrades with age and environmental damage.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
User banned (one week): Tone policing reactions to harmful boy's club rhetoric and sexist objectification
okay...

they arent doing it for your pervy pleasure, creep.

My girlfriend always complains that they are uncomfortable, so yeah i can see why folks wouldn't want to wear them. Cant say id be comfortable if society dictated i needed to strap something to my chest every day
jeez bro chill out

Juna

Nov 26, 2017
Bus rides can be unexpectedly painful as well when a stretch of road is in bad condition. Not to mention having to run to catch the bus without a bra...

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, sports bra only, final destination.

Just bought her a couple more that same week. I want her to be as comfortable as possible.

The problem is that often men's responses to a woman going bra-less makes them more uncomfortable than wearing one.

That's true and I don't like that at all. (Even some of the responses in this thread is nasty.) Shouldn't have to be forced to make a decision of "Do I want to be uncomfortable yet 'presentable' all day or do I want to be treated like a piece of meat 'comfortably'?" I'm a big fan of leaving women the fuck alone, both vocally and visually.

Who gives a shit if a woman is not wearing a bra outside of themselves?

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
MajesticThoroughHog-size_restricted.gif

Ahhhhh the French.....

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
My girlfriend sometimes needs them for support. Otherwise it would hurt (sports).
But at home she's mostly bra less. Anyway, whatever works, whenever it works.
There there are more uncomfortable things women could get rid of, if they want. High heels for instance. Those must be terrible to walk in.

My GF is the same way. Makes sense people would ditch bras if they don't plan on going out.