• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Elantris was really good until the end when it had a quarter of a book's worth of plot in the last 50 pages.

I think the best book to start out with is Warbreaker. Single book story, one of the best books, shows off a lot of different aspects/strengths of Cosmere (witty characters, good action, mysteries, political world building, supernatural mythos). I've been recommending Warbreaker to a lot of friends.

I think after that I'd recommend The Emperor's Soul & Sixth of Dusk.

I wish I could recommend Edgedancer as a starting point if it didn't have some heavy spoilers for WoR. As the days go back I'm starting to feel Edgedancer is my favorite Cosmere story. I already want to re-read it haha.

i read the first mistborn trilogy to start and then came back to release order and found it was a winning move.

feel like the original mistborn trilogy was a much better indicator of what sanderson was capable of as opposed to Elantris, which was very obviously his first book.

I say this but I finished the last 40% or so in basically one sitting.

Yeah, same order I went in. Mistborn trilogy -> Elantris -> release order.

Question for you: who do you currently think wrote the epigraphs in-universe?

No idea, really. I don't think I know who most of them are in the books, but usually have at least a guess. Part 1 so far a couple hundred pages in is so brief and vague I can't even guess yet.

MotiD

Oct 26, 2017
Mistborn book 2 spoilers
There's a part that confused me when Vin and Sazed are talking about the logbook
""These are quotes from the logbook," Vin said. She pointed at a paragraph. "Here the Lord Ruler talks about how armies were useless against the Deepness."

Vin refers to the writer of the logbook as the lord ruler, but we know (please no spoilers if there's more to this) that Alendi wrote it, and Sazed even refers to the writer as the hero, which we know wasn't Rashek but Alendi

Vin knows Rashek didn't write the logbook, so why did she refer to him as the writer?

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, every Cosmere fan would suggest not to read Elantris first. It's not a great first impression.

I have recommended it first and would again. I generally do recommend release order. But generally with the caveat on Elantris that it is definitely one of his weaker, if not weakest, works. Sanderson posted a video yesterday oddly enough about where to start with his books and that's basically what he says too regarding Elantris, noting that Mistborn or Stormlight (or even Warbreaker) may be better depending on the reader and what they like.

Generally, for me, if a person is of the type to give an author at least a few books, by all means, start with Elantris knowing it's the weakest and not most representative. If not, it's safe to skip it for now and start with something else that might pull them in quicker.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I have recommended it first and would again. I generally do recommend release order. But generally with the caveat on Elantris that it is definitely one of his weaker, if not weakest, works. Sanderson posted a video yesterday oddly enough about where to start with his books and that's basically what he says too regarding Elantris, noting that Mistborn or Stormlight (or even Warbreaker) may be better depending on the reader and what they like.

Generally, for me, if a person is of the type to give an author at least a few books, by all means, start with Elantris knowing it's the weakest and not most representative. If not, it's safe to skip it for now and start with something else that might pull them in quicker.
Weakest story is definitely White Sand, not Elantris.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Weakest story is definitely White Sand, not Elantris.

it's also not a novel which I think is what we are really talking about here. I get the feeling even Sanderson isn't happy with the way that worked out in the end.

White Sand is an odd duck. Canon to the Cosmere, but based on an unpublished novel, and the published graphic novel is a "Story by" for Brandon with the script going to Rik Hoskin.

I'm not gonna argue with anyone who wants to call it the weakest story but it's also not entirely his and as a GN written and drawn by other people doesn't fit neatly in the discussion at hand.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, idk what to make of White Sands. I've only read the GNs, but it wasn't that bad. Still if you directly compare it to the other Cosmere books, yeah it's not as good. But on its own it has characters and politics and magic and mystery and it's a solid book 1 of a trilogy. It's hard to judge a larger overarching story by the first story entry that doesn't get too much into the bigger picture.

Elantris is a very well written book imo. The main characters are great, the side characters are great, the antagonist is great, the magic is really interesting. I have issues with the pacing, and I'd need to give it a re-read but I think it's a very good book.

For me I'd put Shadows of Self below both Elantris and White Sands. For various reasons that book didn't click with me at all and was just too dry.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I thought White Sands was pretty dreadful. I've read a lot of comics, and I've read a lot of Cosmere, and this was neither a good comic nor a good Cosmere story.

Elantris is a slow starter but otherwise pretty good. Certainly better than White Sands.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I can't muster any interest at all for White Sands.
Only Cosmere books I have still left are Shadows of Self and Bands of Mourning. Working on the first right now.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm going through Oathbringer again in preparation for Rhythm of War. I think it's the weakest of the Stormlight books...Shallan sucks in this one. Oof.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
TBH I think that it's the best of 'em. I really enjoyed Shallan's madness, tense though it may be. The end of the 4th act is a bit of a lurch, but man, that whole ending - what a rush.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Shallan so far is like those Alethi mirror poems with the added twist that the second half is a warped version of the first:
WoK - Fun enough as a character but stuck in dull plotline with insufficient payoff.
WoR - Absolute highlight of the book and probably even of the whole series. Fun chara arc and consistently good and entertaining story bits.
Oathbringer - Bad and dull chara issues* but involved in decent enough plot.

* This is to some degree my personal bias but I really hate this separate personalites/tulpa war schtick and hope it gets dropped as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Oathbringer

Just read the Dalinar flashback scene where he's drunkenly stumbling around looking for a knife and then sees one with an assassin and kills him and rinses it off and final gets his pork "Good pork"

lol

I don't mind Shallan so far in Part 1. I can see how she could be the least interesting PoV character in all 3 books, but honestly I love pattern, best spren, so I usually enjoy her chapters even if her character can be a little frustrating. I mean Kaladin is frustrating af in a lot of WoR. I feel like all the PoV characters in Stormlight are complicated compared to other Cosmere leads. Except Lift. Lift is Lift.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
I do wanna add that the Spren duo dynamic is really the best part of Stormlight for me. The interactions between people and their spren are always great and each set's dynamic is pretty different. I'd say that most of these characters would be boring or annoying without their spren to support conversation with them.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I do wanna add that the Spren duo dynamic is really the best part of Stormlight for me. The interactions between people and their spren are always great and each set's dynamic is pretty different. I'd say that most of these characters would be boring or annoying without their spren to support conversation with them.
Yeah. Spren are a lot of fun.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I want Sanderson to do more with White Sands if only to get more stories with Khriss in her home.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
I'm at the chasm with Kal and Shallan and I think it's getting better than the earlier chapters of WoR.

Is there deadline for Rythm of War PO? Or I can just PO it the day before release.

Edit: I meant PO from Amazon

Last edited:

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
OMG KALADIN!

I thought it was really cool when he saved the king, but my God the moment he saved Dalinar is so fucking cool I got goosebumps.

Book is redeemed.
Shallan is redeemed.

The second half of WoR is better than TWoK. I still need to finish it tho, 7% left.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
OMG KALADIN!

I thought it was really cool when he saved the king, but my God the moment he saved Dalinar is so fucking cool I got goosebumps.

Book is redeemed.
Shallan is redeemed.

The second half of WoR is better than TWoK. I still need to finish it tho, 7% left.

And now you know why its probably my favorite novel. Glad you came around on this :)

Oct 25, 2017
OMG KALADIN!

Book is redeemed.
Shallan is redeemed.

IT'S SO STUPIDLY HYPED!!! Like the entire lead up to this is amazing! The entire fight that proceeds this is so fucking fun. Like its basically anime but that's kinda what I read Sanderson for tbh.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
OMG KALADIN!

Book is redeemed.
Shallan is redeemed.

"Graphic audio" (audiobook with music and sound effects) version:

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
not sure where the progress bars were before today but dawnshard is at 100% now and skyward 3 15 already.

X851hPU.png

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah he sent out a kickstarter update saying that the final draft was done and that he handed it off to his editorial team for all that stuff and hopefully next week start sending out files for Dawnshard.

Also 15% already on Skyward 3 is incredible. Dude is just incredibly self disciplined to sit down and write every day or almost every day.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah he sent out a kickstarter update saying that the final draft was done and that he handed it off to his editorial team for all that stuff and hopefully next week start sending out files for Dawnshard.

Also 15% already on Skyward 3 is incredible. Dude is just incredibly self disciplined to sit down and write every day or almost every day.
There being a pandemic probably helps as well as it limits distractions I am guessing.

Arthois

Oct 27, 2017
His writing was slowed down by all the convention he was attending. Now that's not an option so he's back to his mid 30s speed.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

IIRC he's stated that he basically feels a need to write, so he doesn't really have to "make" himself write. He just does it. It really works out in everyone's favor.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Do we know if Dawnshard is going to be a pre-requisite for reading Rhythm of War like Edgedancer was for Oathbringer? I think I only ordered the physical Dawnshard, so unless I want to double dip probably won't get it until way after Book #4. If it ties in like Edgedancer, I'll just double dip on the digital edition so I can read it first.

Dude was a god damn writing machine long before COVID too. He talked about how sometimes questions and theories he gets from fans at conventions give him ideas and he writes late into the night in his hotel.

Yeah, one of the reasons I got into Cosmere was the idea of a series where I wouldn't have to wait 5-10 years between books. It's cool that he writes so much. Since I enjoy his style and stories it means each year there'll be something new to read from him once I catch up.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Oathbringer - Man, part 1 is pretty long. 25% through the book at this point a bit over 300 pages and still have no idea what it is building towards. Figuring by the end of part 1 I'll have a better idea of what the book is doing.

It's definitely interesting though, and entertaining. Reminds me of an interlude book like AFFC/ADWD in ASOIAF where the starting story is done (WoK/WoR) and now it's moving pieces around to setup the next story arc. Some interesting things so far, I like how with Sanderson's stuff I think I know where he's going with things and then it's almost never where he goes and the twists and turns are pretty unexpected. He keeps me surprised for sure.

Just past the part where

Shallan fights the Unmade in the Tower and Kaladin takes off from the Parshman city and splits the storm (which was pretty cool, I like the conversation he has with Syl about how whether actions are "correct/morally just/righteous" are less definitive right or wrong and more just a biased implication of what one side ie. Honor's spren thinks is right/wrong.

Makes me think maybe Kaladin is being setup to be a 3rd side that's neither Honor or Odium. Which could be cool. We've seen before with Preservation that the "good gods" aren't necessarily good, so if Honor's side isn't necessarily the good guys and it's more complicated than that...definitely makes it more interesting.

Also Dalinar flashbacks are weird and I have no idea where they're going with this. You think Dalinar is like Obiwan true hero and good & just guy for 2 books and then you find out he was a terrible person in the past. I guess they're doing this to make the reader wonder if Dalinar might fall back to the monster/terrible person he was, especially if manipulated by Taragarvian. It's definitely making me a little anxious. Dalinar was my favorite guy in the first two books and don't want to see him character assassinated in this one!

And I really like Adolin in this one. His stuff with Shallan is really charming. I want to like Renarin but without a PoV he's still too much of a wildcard and I have no idea where they are going with him.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
So it turns out I was 2 pages away from the end of part one, haha. Interludes enjoyable as always. I really enjoy the concept of Roshar short stories that add to the lore/world building.

random88

Oct 25, 2017
Not US
Do we know if Dawnshard is going to be a pre-requisite for reading Rhythm of War like Edgedancer was for Oathbringer? I think I only ordered the physical Dawnshard, so unless I want to double dip probably won't get it until way after Book #4. If it ties in like Edgedancer, I'll just double dip on the digital edition so I can read it first.

Yeah, one of the reasons I got into Cosmere was the idea of a series where I wouldn't have to wait 5-10 years between books. It's cool that he writes so much. Since I enjoy his style and stories it means each year there'll be something new to read from him once I catch up.

I think it kinda will be. I've been reading RoW chapters on Tor and they mention something about that journey. It didn't feel super important at that point, but it might be in later parts of the book.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Supposedly no:

Isaac Stewart
But we should probably mention that you don't have to read this one[Dawnshard] to read Rhythm of War.

Brandon Sanderson
You do not. I have written Rhythm of War in such a way that, if you haven't read this, you will not really be confused. There will be a few things where you're like, "Oh, that's probably what that's referencing." And if you read this after, it's not going to ruin either story.

I did something very specific with the Rysn interlude in Rhythm of War that allows us to preserve most of what happened in Dawnshard, so far, so that you will not have it spoiled when you get to that interlude. I've done something very different for that interlude, let's just say. And I did that because I hadn't written Dawnshard yet, when I wrote the Rysn interlude. In fact, it's the last thing I wrote for the book, was that interlude. And let's just say that interlude is from a different viewpoint. We'll just say that.

And references to what happened are in the story, but they're mostly kind of vague, because even most of the people in the main storyline don't know the specifics of what happened in the novella. It's kind of like what happened in Edgedancer, where what happened to Lift is not really generally understood and known by everyone else, because she was off on her own.

YouTube Livestream 17 (Aug. 27, 2020)

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
"Graphic audio" (audiobook with music and sound effects) version:

I was imagining this in my mind and I think someone who is good with visuals would make a sweet movie out of this.
Like Kaladin visualized coming down through the tranquiline halls amid the storm like a knight, the vision fading to show him in his bridge uniform with the slave brand, and then saying that line. Whew.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I was imagining this in my mind and I think someone who is good with visuals would make a sweet movie out of this.
Like Kaladin visualized coming down through the tranquiline halls amid the storm like a knight, the vision fading to show him in his bridge uniform with the slave brand, and then saying that line. Whew.
Personally I don't see how this series could be adapted to a live action movie unless they really lower the scope of the fights, both in the number of combatants in the shattered plains and the powers of the Knight Radiants and strenght that the Shardplates and Shardblades give.

Animation would be really cool though.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017
Personally I don't see how this series could be adapted to a live action movie unless they really lower the scope of the fights, both in the number of combatants in the shattered plains and the powers of the Knight Radiants and strenght that the Shardplates and Shardblades give.

Animation would be really cool though.
Yea there is a lot of detail it would have to be a series. I was just imagining a single scene with great visuals, to get that feeling of awe.

tumblr_mw0sm5P4ow1sjx182o1_250.gifv
tumblr_owy7rkOIBc1v6bg8ho2_540.gif
WGeyvAN.gif
source.gif