• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Speaking of reading orders, has there been any hints on the chronological order of the books within the Cosmere? I feel pretty confident that the events of Stormlight are at the end of the sequence (to date anyways) but I have never figured out the order between Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborn eras.

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of reading orders, has there been any hints on the chronological order of the books within the Cosmere? I feel pretty confident that the events of Stormlight are at the end of the sequence (to date anyways) but I have never figured out the order between Elantris, Warbreaker, and the Mistborn eras.
Mistborn era 1 is before Stormlight.
We know this because in SA, WIt talks with Harmony in a letter. Other than that not sure. Warbreaker takes place before SA but not sure how much before or in relation to Mistborn. My guess is SA takes place last due to it being Sandersons Magnum Opus (at least until Mistborn Era 3). If I had to guess Mistborn Era 2 takes place before SA as well because i have a feeling Kelsier coming back alive is part of what's going on with SA.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
This is my reading order:

Mistborn: The Final Empire
The Well of Ascension
The Hero of Ages
The Eleventh Metal
Elantris
The Hope of Elantris
The Emperor's Soul
The Alloy of Law
Allomancer Jak
Shadows of Self
Bands of Mourning
Mistborn: Secret History
Shadows of Silence in the Forests of Hell
The Way of Kings
Warbreaker
Words of Radiance
Edgedancer
Oathbringer
Sixth of the Dusk
Rhythm of War

I am only up to Elantris right now (a bit over halfway) so I have a long way to go. I see your thoughts about reading Warbreaker after WOR because you think it'll break up the flow of Stormlight, but I'm reading other books in between all of these so thats going to be my buffer in between the giant books lol
I didn't even consider reading all of Mistborn before starting Stormlight, but that definitely does make sense to me too. That might actually be the best order for a friend of mine who is a big Discworld fan, now that I think about it. Thanks for sharing it.

It is absolutely valid to read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance if you want a break between Stormlight books. In my case, once I got to the end of Way of Kings, I was eager to jump right into Words of Radiance, but I felt conflicted since several reading orders suggested that I strictly had to read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance. I wanted to convey that no one should feel forced to read in that order, because in my experience, the relevant plot bits worked at least as well reading Warbreaker right after WOR as they would have before WOR.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of ERA3. I can't even imagine how the 80s version of Scadrial will be like. Are they going to have their own in-universe Mistborn comics and movies? I am a bit worried.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Some hints, some direct statements.

see this bit on Coppermind:

Chronological Order[edit]
Brandon has been somewhat evasive about the order of cosmere stories, so that the timelines remains flexible for future books that he writes.[227]He has estimated the time from the Shattering to the breaking of the Oathpact at around 6000 years, but that number is non-canonical and may change greatly.[228] Brandon has, however, provided some answers and has stated that books have mostly been released chronologically, which allows a rough timeline to be constructed:[229]

Jest

Oct 28, 2017

Yup. Essentially... the original plan was for 3 era's in Mistborn. Then Brandon had an idea for a solo story between era 1 and 2 (that was Wax and Wayne). Afterwards, he decided to expand Wax and Wayne into a full era of it's own, extending the plan to 4 era's for Mistborn.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that the later stories of the cosmere just mean that we get more shadows for silence and sixth of the dusk.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
I wonder if Dragonsteel will be the penultimate book.
Yeah, that's what Brandon has indicated. Mistborn Era 3 -> Stormlight 6-10 -> Dragonsteel trilogy -> Mistborn Era 4 will be the main part of the back half of the Cosmere.

I will spoiler tag this quote from 2018 in case anyone wants to go in completely blind, but there aren't any spoilers for published books in it or anything. It's just the general outline of the rest of the Cosmere:

At this point, he had planned to write Wax and Wayne 4 before Stormlight 4, but everything else is pretty much the same.
Brandon Sanderson 2018 said:
So, here's the grand Cosmere timeline as I have it right now... I'm going to write Wax & Wayne 4 this fall. This will be the end of the Wax & Wayne sequence. They have been really fun to write, those books. And I've got some really good Wayne stuff in this one, so be excited. So, I'll finish that, and that is the next Cosmere book I will do. January 1st, my requirement is I-- What I'm trying to do now, is I'm trying to do half my time Stormlight, half my time other stuff. That's the kind of balance I'm looking to do for my sanity. So, January 1st is when it's been 18 months since I turned in Oathbringer, and at that point, I have 18 months to get Book 4 done. So, I will start January 1st writing Stormlight 4, rain or shine. Everything else kinda has to be put aside. And then, we'll go until that book is done.

After Stormlight 4; at this point, the Wax & Wayne books are done, so we finally have opened up room to do either an Elantris sequel or a Warbreaker sequel. I'll do one of the two of those in between. And then we will do Stormlight 5. And then, we have the first sequence of Stormlight books finished. And at that point, my goal is to do Mistborn Era 3. Three of those. 1980s level, spy thriller-ish Mistborn stuff. And then we will come back and start on Stormlight 6. 6-10, different cycle. This is how I make sure this all kind of fits together. So, we will do that.

And at that point, we will do-- plan is, right now, the Dragonsteel sequence. Which is however many books I decide to do about Hoid's backstory. He has shifted to be the main viewpoint character of those. He was a side viewpoint character when I originally wrote them, but now I've kinda stolen all the pieces of that story that were not about him and put them in other books. So what remains is his backstory. I plan those to be first-person stories that he's telling, if I can get them to work.

So, then, we wrap out the Cosmere with the Mistborn science fiction series, the kind of Dune-esque far-future science fiction Cosmere thing. That is my grand timeline. Somewhere in there, I want to get one sequel to Warbreaker, two sequels to Elantris, and one Threnody novel. So, that's my goal. And that, I think, is doable before I die. We're just gonna keep that as our goal moving forward, and try not to add too much more to it, though there will be novellas and things like that as they pop up.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how that will all work out if you consider that there are like what 8 shards we don't know anything about? Also, sad about no mention regarding First of the Sun or more about White Sand.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Wonder how that will all work out if you consider that there are like what 8 shards we don't know anything about? Also, sad about no mention regarding First of the Sun or more about White Sand.
Those aren't all of the books and novellas that he has planned, just the most important ones for the overall Cosmere story. There are quite a few other ideas for books and novellas that he has publicly mentioned wanting to write, if you poke around on Coppermind or in the State of Sanderson posts.

Some that I can remember reading about recently off the top of my head: Elantris sequels before or during Mistborn Era 3, a Warbreaker sequel titled Nightblood, a novella titled Silence of the Divine set on Ashyn, a book set on Threnody, a Sixth of the Dusk sequel, a First of the Sun YA novel, a YA novel with a kite-based (yes) magic system, Aether book(s), a novella set in the city Silverlight in the Cognitive Realm, and probably more that I can't remember.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
And in addition to what's mentioned above... there can always be new ideas that crop up in the meantime and get added to the plan. Similar to Wax and Wayne.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Finished Edgedance and got so excited after finishing it I jumped straight into Oathbringer instead of spacing the books out a bit like I planned. Oh well!

About Edgedancer, I really like Lift so no surprise I enjoyed it a whole lot. Wyndle and her make a great pair too - love their banter and how they're becoming attached to each other. I didn't at all expect so many cool moments in the novella either, which I thought was just added context for Lift's eventual appearance in Oathbringer but actually does much more - it shows Szeth, the Sleepless, Darkness (forgot his actual name), another radiant, updates us on the state of the world post-WoR, it was pretty sweet! No wonder I couldn't contain myself and just jumped straight to Oathbringer. Excited to be finally caught up with SA soon.

Given all the Cosmere talk in recent pages I'll have to do some planning around what to read after RoW to expand my Cosmere knowledge beyond just Roshar :)

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Those aren't all of the books and novellas that he has planned, just the most important ones for the overall Cosmere story. There are quite a few other ideas for books and novellas that he has publicly mentioned wanting to write, if you poke around on Coppermind or in the State of Sanderson posts.

Some that I can remember reading about recently off the top of my head: Elantris sequels before or during Mistborn Era 3, a Warbreaker sequel titled Nightblood, a novella titled Silence of the Divine set on Ashyn, a book set on Threnody, a Sixth of the Dusk sequel, a First of the Sun YA novel, a YA novel with a kite-based (yes) magic system, Aether book(s), a novella set in the city Silverlight in the Cognitive Realm, and probably more that I can't remember.
Hopefully he's able to do all of those, guess we'll see with how things go regarding stormlight.

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Finished Bands of Mourning! Liked it a lot. Best book of the three Wax & Wayne ones so far. Real good adventure though maybe a little rushed at the very end.

Feel bad for everyone who read it at release and are still waiting for book #4. Looking forward to it. Hopefully it does come out by the end of next year.

The lore stuff was interesting, and looking forward to reading Secret History soon. The only thing that kind of threw me off in the book was:

So when Wax died, I don't get how he came back.

From what I understand about bloodmaking people can instantly heal as long as they're not actually dead yet, because once they're dead they're dead and gone. And the book made it seem like Wax was 100% dead and gone by the time Wayne leaves him. So even with the bands of mourning and being able to tap that power, it's a dead corpse tapping it and I don't get how he's able to come back.

I thought they were going to pull something akin to the original series and Atium pool or with the spikes or something to bring him back.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not quite at release but pretty soon after

Pain.

T_T /raises hand

I thinking about committing to a 2nd read of all Mistborn books after I'm finished with Oathbringer.

I would like to do the same, incidentally after my re-read of Oathbringer which is nearly finished. Probably not before I read Rhythm of War though.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Alloy of Law so far feels like Sanderson giving himself a break from ambitious high fantasy plotlines and is just having some fun with a light buddy cop mystery set up. It's cute.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Alloy of Law so far feels like Sanderson giving himself a break from ambitious high fantasy plotlines and is just having some fun with a light buddy cop mystery set up. It's cute.

yep. That's pretty much how it started out. It wasn't even meant for publication at first. And then he went Full Sanderson and gave them a whole trilogy (tho I would really argue for calling Era 2 a tetralogy since I can't separate AOL) retroactively renumbering his planned Mistborn Eras, largely because fans ran with calling this Era 2 and he realized he's lost control there and just went with it. 😂

Last edited:

Bebpo

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, Alloy of Law is a very short fun buddy cop steampunk western. Good stuff and definitely a nice palette cleanse between the denser books.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Conclusions

So with Warbreaker established in Stormlight, I have divided the Cosmere into four blocks:
  • Stormlight: The Way of Kings -> Words of Radiance -> Warbreaker -> Edgedancer -> Oathbringer
  • Mistborn Era 1: Final Empire -> Well of Ascension -> Hero of Ages
  • Mistborn Era 2: Alloy of Law -> Shadows of Self -> Bands of Mourning -> Secret History
  • Elantris
(The Emperor's Soul, Shadows for Silence, and Sixth of the Dusk should just be filled in whenever they seem interesting.)

Two orders seem best to me. For these orders, I am following the general principles of 1. keeping each sub-series in blocks and 2. spacing out Elantris from Warbreaker and Mistborn Era 1 from Era 2.
  • Stormlight first: Stormlight -> Mistborn Era 1 -> Elantris -> Mistborn Era 2
  • Mistborn Era 1 first: Mistborn Era 1 -> Elantris -> Stormlight-> Mistborn Era 2
    • (A few modifications are possible here: Elantris could also go after Stormlight, but should go before Mistborn Era 2. If the reader wants to interlace Mistborn Era 2 and Stormlight, then that is fine in this order as well. This change would bring it closer to publication order, with two major changes: Mistborn/Elantris are swapped, and Warbreaker is positioned before Oathbringer.)
In my opinion, Stormlight-first order is better for the reader who has an interest in reading the whole Cosmere, and Mistborn-first order for the reader who is not yet sure.

It has been fun posting here as I read for the first time. Thanks for indulging me, Cosmere Era.

This is so fascinating to me! I can see why you suggest Stormlight first. Brandon really has improved as a writer by the time it starts, and it's a true High Fantasy in every sense of the phrase, while Mistborn has a Teen vibe to it. I think that alone is a compelling enough reason for picking up Stormlight first. But man oh man do I disagree about the revelations and Sanderlanche's in each series.

I was SOLD by the back description of Mistborn. "What if the destined Hero failed?" It's a question I asked long before I found these books, and I was hooked from page one. Now, ultimately I think Brandon cheats a little here, since Scadrial is ground zero for Cosmere shenanigans and thus the "destined" hero wasn't really, well, all that destined to begin with. But the concept really got to me. I also have a soft spot for Vin and Elend. I find their relationship to be fairly realistic, all things considered. And I just ate up all the politics of ruling a city from book 2.

I get why the revelations in Stormlight might hit a little differently if you're more Cosmere aware, and I think that's why folks suggest reading Warbreaker first. Those little cosmere tidbits become just that much more intriguing the more you know, and I would say that the cosmere reveals are some of my favorite parts of the books going forward. I love connecting the dots like that.

What did you think of Secret History? I was, once again, just captured by the premise alone. I love seeing stories from "behind the curtain" after we know how everything plays out, so this was again, just right up my alley.

Deleted member 9479

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So my wife has been reading and catching up on Stormlight Archive recently. Since our son was born about 8 years ago she's been very very behind me (I have about 8-10 hours commute every week I get to spend on things like reading) but we are now to a place where she's been able to catch up. She finished WoR last night after I fell asleep and this morning she had lots to say 😂

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Have yet to reread anything Mistborn. Gonna do that soon I think. Also probably want to reread Oathbringer before the new one.

Or maybe a Mistborn reread can wait till after.....dunno

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
This is so fascinating to me! I can see why you suggest Stormlight first. Brandon really has improved as a writer by the time it starts, and it's a true High Fantasy in every sense of the phrase, while Mistborn has a Teen vibe to it. I think that alone is a compelling enough reason for picking up Stormlight first. But man oh man do I disagree about the revelations and Sanderlanche's in each series.

I was SOLD by the back description of Mistborn. "What if the destined Hero failed?" It's a question I asked long before I found these books, and I was hooked from page one. Now, ultimately I think Brandon cheats a little here, since Scadrial is ground zero for Cosmere shenanigans and thus the "destined" hero wasn't really, well, all that destined to begin with. But the concept really got to me. I also have a soft spot for Vin and Elend. I find their relationship to be fairly realistic, all things considered. And I just ate up all the politics of ruling a city from book 2.

I get why the revelations in Stormlight might hit a little differently if you're more Cosmere aware, and I think that's why folks suggest reading Warbreaker first. Those little cosmere tidbits become just that much more intriguing the more you know, and I would say that the cosmere reveals are some of my favorite parts of the books going forward. I love connecting the dots like that.

What did you think of Secret History? I was, once again, just captured by the premise alone. I love seeing stories from "behind the curtain" after we know how everything plays out, so this was again, just right up my alley.
I appreciate you reading through the post! I am planning on taking a few weeks off from Sanderson, then rereading Stormlight starting in early October. Maybe the value of knowing about the Cosmere will affect the read enough to completely change my views, so stay tuned for that. For now, I would say that since the reader only gets one shot to read Stormlight without knowing about the Cosmere mechanics, I am glad that I took advantage of it. You could make the same argument for Mistborn as well, but Stormlight is the more openly Cosmere-connected of the two. Now, on my rereads, I get the chance to really dig in and see what I missed before.

It is also possible that once Rhythm of War and Stormlight 5 come out, Stormlight might be too long and/or have too many Cosmere-connected spoilers to recommend as a first read. We will see. 😅

I think what I wanted to see in Vin and Elend's relationship was more of the development that happens off-screen. Even though Vin likes and trusts Elend at the end of The Final Empire, the year-long time jump between TFE and Well of Ascension skips over so much of the foundation of their relationship. When Vin was doubting that she was right for Elend in WoA, I wasn't quite sold, because I felt like I had missed so much context between them. Zane didn't really work for me either for the same reason. I liked Vin and Elend together; I just wanted to see more of them.

By comparison, the similar Shallan/Kalidan/Adolin love triangle in Words of Radiance/Oathbringer had much more space on screen. I understood Shallan's split feelings and self-doubt, and when she ultimately decides to go through with her marriage to Adolin, I felt convinced that was the right choice for her. I liked seeing the more developed version of the idea first.

As for Secret History, I really enjoyed it, especially the first half. Kelsier's conversation with Leras/Preservation, his run-in with Khriss and Nazh, and his fight with Hoid were all so much fun. I am glad that I saved it for last, though I can see the argument that Secret History makes a good jumping-off point to Stormlight for Mistborn readers. I have a suspicion that Hoid and Kelsier are going to be seeing each other often in the future, and Secret History was such a good tease for that.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
What the hell, man? These Warbreaker pages are flying by. This is really good.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Well I finally finished my Stormlight re-read. Just wrapped up Oathbringer. Some may recall from previous posts that I don't consider it to be one of my favourite Cosmere books. I think that is still true. However with the benefit of hindsight and a second pass through the story I've definitely gained a better perspective both on the book as a whole and on the things which I didn't like about it before. Overall I liked it considerably more this time, and if I were to redo my ranking of all the Cosmere novels I would probably put it somewhere in the middle as opposed to near the bottom.

Some notes...

- Urithiru as a setting sucks. This was probably my biggest gripe with the book when I read it the first time. Urithiru ddn't feel to me like enough of a real place; it was more like a mishmash of rooms and random hallways. In a way, that's the point, right? It's supposed to be confusing, hard to navigate, and mysterious. Sure, it accomplished that, but it didn't make for a very compelling location to read a story in. Even the so-called mysteries did not feel particularly interesting as they were woven into the story. I really did not enjoy the whole murder plot with Shallan whose resolution was a little abrupt. All that said, on second pass through, I did manage to get a better grasp of where certain locations were. That helped piece together a framework in my head of what this structure is.

- Speaking of Shallan, for most of the book, while I appreciate her personal struggles, in many ways it felt too repetitious with what happened in Words of Radiance. At the end of WoR it seemed like Shallan had accepted her "truth", only to realize in OB that it was more like she had only "remembered" it and spent much of this book grappling with it. Come to think of it, that's a familiar theme in this novel. However, that wasn't what it felt like to me at the end of WoR, so there was a certain degree of "this again?" that I had to deal with. I also want to add that her "Radiant" personality never quite seemed fleshed out quite enough, unlike Veil. Veil was actually a fairly enjoyable character in her own right. It was disappointing that Oathbringer never felt compelled to do the same with "Radiant". Maybe in Rhythm of War?

- One of the issues I had in the first half of Oathbringer was I felt like (perhaps due to its length) certain scenes were not written, even though they were rather important. For example, Kaladin's return to Urithiru was almost passed off as a joke. I wanted to see those interactions he had, especially about the things he learned on his travels. Some of this happened during the meeting later on, but it felt odd that we were only hearing him talk about these things after this much time had passed. I felt a similar deprivation regarding the Kholin family finding Jasnah alive. That was completely skipped over, and very jarring.

- Something which I really loved on my second read, much moreso than my first, was the entire Kholinar sequence, from traveling there, to their escape through the Oathgate. I won't say too much about it, but it was great to read from start to finish. Loved everything about this section of the book.

- ...Which is perhaps why it was all the more disappointing when after that epic climax Kaladin and co. wound up in Shadesmar and the pacing slowed to an absolute crawl. The sad thing is I am fascinated by Shadesmar / Cognitive Realm from a Cosmere standpoint, and it is especially interesting to read about it in a Rosharan context, where it is so important. However, the pacing just killed it for me, and as much as I liked the interactions with various spren and learning about Celebrant, it was hard to accept after the emotional highs of the events in Kholinar.

- I enjoyed the ending (whole Thaylen City sequence) a lot more on my second read. Didn't dislike it before, but I just think there was so much going on that it was hard to follow at times. Benefit of reading it again, I picked up on a number of things which I didn't before, along with simply following the action a lot more comprehensively. I had completely forgotten about Dalinar trapping the Unmade, but while reading the book early on I picked up on all the foreshadowing regarding capturing spren as in fabrials and it really seemed like the only logical way they were ultimately going to deal with their Fused problem. I didn't actually expect that to be realized at the end of Oathbringer -- it seemed like something more for later books -- so that was definitely a nice surprise!

All in all quite pleased with how the re-read turned out, and I'm glad I did it. I also ended up enjoying Way of Kings quite a bit more the second time, and I already loved Words of Radiance a ton, so it was a rewarding re-read for sure. Undoubtedly it seems the major theme of the Stormlight Archives to this point is "transformation". It permeates everything in the story.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished The Original by Brandon Sanderson and Mary Robinette Kowal

This feels like the start, or test, of the James Patterson-ing of Sanderson. Which isn't really a bad thing necessarily, but this feels like a Sanderson type idea or outline that was handed off to someone else to write?

It just doesn't seem too much like a Sanderson story. It's like a Cyberpunk suspense thriller mystery with a couple John Wick style action scenes. The story will keep you around the for short stint of it, but it doesn't quite deliver a twist or punch like Sanderson usually delivers. It's not bad by any means, it's just not particularly great.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Just finished Elantris and read The Hope of Elantris and The Emperor's Soul. Elantris actually wrapped up incredibly well, the beginning was very slow but as I kept reading I got more into it and it held my attention wonderfully. The Hope of Elantris was a nice little story to see as well.

The Emperor's Soul however, was magnificent. I want more of that magic ASAP, it was awesome. Hope we get some more of that sometime down the line.

Cruxist

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Finished The Original by Brandon Sanderson and Mary Robinette Kowal

This feels like the start, or test, of the James Patterson-ing of Sanderson. Which isn't really a bad thing necessarily, but this feels like a Sanderson type idea or outline that was handed off to someone else to write?

It just doesn't seem too much like a Sanderson story. It's like a Cyberpunk suspense thriller mystery with a couple John Wick style action scenes. The story will keep you around the for short stint of it, but it doesn't quite deliver a twist or punch like Sanderson usually delivers. It's not bad by any means, it's just not particularly great.

He's already precipitously close to this. He has the White Sand comics and The Dark One comics, which are both outlines that someone else filled out. The combo with Mary Robinette Kowal makes more sense because he's on a podcast with her. They've done podcast brainstorming before and had ideas worked out on air, so this one feels less egregious.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
He's already precipitously close to this. He has the White Sand comics and The Dark One comics, which are both outlines that someone else filled out. The combo with Mary Robinette Kowal makes more sense because he's on a podcast with her. They've done podcast brainstorming before and had ideas worked out on air, so this one feels less egregious.

The comics I would mostly just chalk up to it being a different medium, and needing art, though. Not necessarily the same an audiobook original. Not saying it's even a bad thing, I'm all for it if Sanderson just has shit tons of ideas and he already writes at a ridiculous speed. Just feels weird to see it as a collaboration and not really feeling very Sanderson.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
About halfway through Warbreaker which I'm loving
I'm getting a little impatient waiting for Vivenna to start using and discovering more powers. I could use a bit more action. I assumed a few 100 pages ago that she would meet Vasher and train under him. Still waiting for something like that. Also Denth is surprisingly great.

Sawyer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Well, I finished Warbreaker which I loved by the end. On to Oathbringer.
I almost want to reread all the Zahel scenes in WoR now. Really hope the sequel book that explains how he ended up there is soon. Also he mentioned how he isn't a great duelist and now he is Adolin's swordmaster.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Not strictly Cosmere-related, but I had a long drive this week and checked out the first few Alcatraz audiobooks from my library. I am about an hour out from the end of the second book now. They are fun enough as quick diversions, and the magic is so endearing. The first book got a few chuckles from me occasionally, but some of the bits later in the second book did genuinely make me laugh.

I went ahead and placed holds on Skyward and Steelheart too, because if I am going to read some of the middle grade and YA books, I might as well read them all.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Finished Oathbringer yesterday and loved it. Only bummer is that I didn't know of Warbreaker's existence beforehand so I feel like I missed out on stuff.
At least I know which book to read next now.

LiquidDom

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I have really tried to avoid overall Cosmere spoilers so I really don't know major implications of things, but I finished The Alloy of Law and Allomancer Jak, and

having read The Well of Ascension, Elantris and now this Allomancer Jak story, these "pools" all must be connected somehow right? These seem to be explained similarly but then you have the one in Elantris where it was evaporating people who went in lol so I'm not sure

H.Cornerstone

Oct 27, 2017
I have really tried to avoid overall Cosmere spoilers so I really don't know major implications of things, but I finished The Alloy of Law and Allomancer Jak, and

having read The Well of Ascension, Elantris and now this Allomancer Jak story, these "pools" all must be connected somehow right? These seem to be explained similarly but then you have the one in Elantris where it was evaporating people who went in lol so I'm not sure
Do you really want to know?

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Thanks, I assumed as much. I would also assume that specific ones do different things? I think that is pretty clear from what I've read.

I'm about 30% into Shadows of Self and enjoying it. I like these books so far.
Sort of. they basically all serve the same function, but some have different side effects / aspects due to their association with who created them

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Not strictly Cosmere-related, but I had a long drive this week and checked out the first few Alcatraz audiobooks from my library. I am about an hour out from the end of the second book now. They are fun enough as quick diversions, and the magic is so endearing. The first book got a few chuckles from me occasionally, but some of the bits later in the second book did genuinely make me laugh.

I went ahead and placed holds on Skyward and Steelheart too, because if I am going to read some of the middle grade and YA books, I might as well read them all.

Steelheart and Skyward are actually really good. Skyward has incredible action scenes.

Anatole

Mar 25, 2020
Steelheart and Skyward are actually really good. Skyward has incredible action scenes.
To be honest, I had just naively set aside Skyward, the Reckoners, Alcatraz, and the Rithmatist as 'the YA Sanderson books' in my head. Listening to Alcatraz has been fun, although it is definitely targeted at younger readers.

But now that I'm looking into it, the western European publishers market the Reckoners and Skyward as adult books. And Skyward is longer than any of the Wax and Wayne books...

...I think I have a few more Sanderson books to read. Looking forward to giving them a shot once my library gets them in.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
To be honest, I had just naively set aside Skyward, the Reckoners, Alcatraz, and the Rithmatist as 'the YA Sanderson books' in my head. Listening to Alcatraz has been fun, although it is definitely targeted at younger readers.

But now that I'm looking into it, the western European publishers market the Reckoners and Skyward as adult books. And Skyward is longer than any of the Wax and Wayne books...

...I think I have a few more Sanderson books to read. Looking forward to giving them a shot once my library gets them in.

If I *had* to label them, roughly, by age groups: It would be Alcatraz as 8-10yrs of age, Rithmatist 10-13yrs of age, Reckoners and Skyward 14-17/18yrs of age. Though I've never bothered with Alcatraz, so I could be a little off on that one.

The Reckoners and Skyward are perfectly enjoyable series, they just aren't quite as intricate as Sanderson's other novels.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm reading The Bands of Mourning right now so spoilers for up to about 75% of the way into that book:

I found the first half of this book absolutely boring as hell until he introduces the new "mask" people. I feel like he waited until the very end of a trilogy to introduce the most interesting and biggest piece of the world to explore which is very weird to me. There was definitely a much better way to setup this book than what we got. I felt like New Seran was mostly a waste of time.