• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DealWithIt

Oct 28, 2017
He's just overall a pretty good dude. Bloodborne high on his list tells you he knows what he's about.

He's Mormon, but seems pretty open and kind. I watched a YouTube video of a lecture he gave at BYU (a hyper-conservativeMormon school [with a few notable exceptions to that conservativeness, but I digress]) he spent time talking about feminist theory and writing whole people, not stereotypes. Did a pretty decent job, especially considering the crowd.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
He's also recently stated that he just doesn't have the necessary funds that game development would cost so he needs a backer who would be really into investing that kind of money into it.

Yes, it's a matter of finding a studio that's A) passionate about the material, B) has the skills to pull it off, and C) has the independent funding necessary to pull off a decent level of production values (sounded like he wanted at least AA).

He wasn't too interested in the idea of a retro-style turn-based RPG take on Mistborn, but he did mention that he thought a 2D Metroidvania might work well. I suggested a few indie studios that I thought would be up for the task. That was a while ago and I haven't heard anything since so it probably didn't go anywhere.

Oh and I knew him at college (I had a class where he was the TA and then later a creative writing class when he was a new teacher), that's why I thought to contact him in the first place.

Anaron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've come to appreciate X a lot more as I've gotten older. Still hate the lack of a world map but it's the last (offline) FF game that oozes that Sakaguchi soul.

Chromie

Dec 4, 2017
Washington
So, can we just get a Mistborn game at this point? He mentioned in the video below that he'd make sure it happens if a good studio approached him, but allomancy feels tailor made for games

ib3nszdxc8q11.jpg

Shahed

Oct 27, 2017
UK, Newcastle
That's a great list that is hard to argue with. I couldn't change it without being hyper focused on one genre. It's quite balanced.

How does he find the time while writing so much?!?!

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
Good taste and variety by Brandon

Rhythm of War is the most exciting thing coming out in November.

Yeah I said it 😁

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Nice list! Also surprised he has any time to play games (and some *long* games!), but I'm sure even the busiest people need to take a break with something else. :) Might not be my favorite, but I sure liked FF10's combat and world a lot.

Aerial51

Apr 24, 2020
I don't agree with every Game on that List (FFX) but i could listen to him talking about Videogames for hours. I really liked his explanation and reasoning for each title.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
Great List! For the Mistborn game I actually think there are too many powers/systems and that this would make the gameplay too complicated.

could you imagine playing as a Mistborn and having to constantly swap between using different kinds of allomancy? What would the restrictions be? Would you have fuel (metal ) levels on each metal, or choose different loadouts for missions in advance? I think a game with a twinborn like Waxillium would work better. Or maybe an RPG/strategy game where you control/manage a thieving crew and each character only has 1 power and you can call in a mistborn summon or something like that

OP
OP
VyechnayaSlava
Dec 15, 2017
On the topic of FFX, it's a respectable choice. The combat is arguably the best in the series and I love the sphere grid system. Brandon also has good points about Tidus not being your typical JRPG protagonist

OP
OP
VyechnayaSlava
Dec 15, 2017
Great List! For the Mistborn game I actually think there are too many powers/systems and that this would make the gameplay too complicated.

could you imagine playing as a Mistborn and having to constantly swap between using different kinds of allomancy? What would the restrictions be? Would you have fuel (metal ) levels on each metal, or choose different loadouts for missions in advance? I think a game with a twinborn like Waxillium would work better. Or maybe an RPG/strategy game where you control/manage a thieving crew and each character only has 1 power and you can call in a mistborn summon or something like that
How about an MMO? You can only really be a misting, though that would take some of the fun out of not having the push and pull mechanics

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stand Sanderson's popularity because I think he's not a very good writer at all. His characters and dialogue are so shallow and tropey and he couldn't write a woman's perspective to save his life.

However, he put Bloodborne at #2. So, I guess he's not that terrible.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne at #2 is respectable. Brandon Sanderson is a good writer, and now confirmed, great gamer.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019

Honestly that doesn't seem too hard at all?

Meat of gameplay would be the Push/Pull from Iron and Steel, which I can't imagine would be too complicated to implement (it's basically just a telekenetic ability with a specific target). Then for the other physical metals you have Tin, which enhances senses (you could implement as a Ubisoft Super Vision thing) and Pewter, which enhances strength (straight attack buff). Then for non-physical you have Bronze, which lets you detect allomancy (radar-implementation), Copper, which lets you hide allomancy (stealth) and Zinc/Brass, which manipulate emotions (this would be the hardest to manage, and might need to be limited to specific instances). And then Atium and the other super-metals for special abilities.

You'd need to simplify the resource system since I don't think anyone wants to keep track of like, 8 different bars (maybe just have a generic "metal" resource), but the actual mechanics is only like, one or two steps above the typical Ubisoft protagonist at most.

Andi

Oct 29, 2017
How about an MMO? You can only really be a misting, though that would take some of the fun out of not having the push and pull mechanics

I think an MMO would be too ambitious. And as you said the mental powers would be a bit boring.

Honestly that doesn't seem too hard at all?

Meat of gameplay would be the Push/Pull from Iron and Steel, which I can't imagine would be too complicated to implement (it's basically just a telekenetic ability with a specific target). Then for the other physical metals you have Tin, which enhances senses (you could implement as a Ubisoft Super Vision thing) and Pewter, which enhances strength (straight attack buff). Then for non-physical you have Bronze, which lets you detect allomancy (radar-implementation), Copper, which lets you hide allomancy (stealth) and Zinc/Brass, which manipulate emotions (this would be the hardest to manage, and might need to be limited to specific instances). And then Atium and the other super-metals for special abilities.

You'd need to simplify the resource system since I don't think anyone wants to keep track of like, 8 different bars (maybe just have a generic "metal" resource), but the actual mechanics is only like, one or two steps above the typical Ubisoft protagonist at most.

It would probably work but it would needed to be streamlined a lot, like you said, resource management would be the hardest part.
I still think that playing a full mistborn would be overkill.

Oct 28, 2017
Everyone has their own personal favorite FF and while it's not my favorite, X is a good pick. The last truly great FF imo.