• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
So recently my fiance has been playing my Switch a lot, more than me lmao. Donkey Kong TF, Super Mario Odyssey, Spyro, etc etc.

So to have the ability to play my own Switch, I got her a Switch Lite on SATURDAY.

2 DAYS AGO.

She just showed my that something is wrong with the left stick. When pushing left, the action has no effect. Mario just stands there facing left. She has to press it back and forth until he starts moving left. Any other direction there is no issue.

This is fucking absurd!

Edit: I've seen people taking about some sort of fix for it, is there one for the Lite?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Try to calibrate the sticks in the system settings before returning it or attempting a manual fix.

darkness

Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't really sound like the usual drift issue because that is caused by dirt and stuff getting inside. This sounds more like a defective unit.

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Did you try recalibrating the joysticks? If that doesn't work, sounds more like a defect with system instead of drift since that takes a while to be an issue due to grime accumulating in the module underneath.

Delriach

Combat Designer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
This doesn't sound like drifting issues at all. This sounds like a broken analog stick lol.

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Exchange it. Your system isn't drifting. It's just a defective unit.

If you have two Switch consoles, you can preserve her saves by moving her account to your system. Alternatively, as long as the game saves are compatible with cloud saves, she can back them up online with a Switch Online account. Some games, like Pokémon and Splatoon, don't allow for that though.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
That's not drifting, that's a broken stick. Return it.

OP
OP
gdt

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Exchange it. Your system isn't drifting. It's just a defective unit.

If you have two Switch consoles, you can preserve her saves by moving her account to your system. Alternatively, as long as the game saves are compatible with cloud saves, she can back them up online with a Switch Online account. Some games, like Pokémon and Splatoon, don't allow for that though.

I do have two switches now. So I have add new account to my old regular switch, move the saves, then move them to the new soon to come Switch Lite?

My regular switch drifts, and this sounds fucked.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Hasn't been dropped. She only plays on the couch, while watching something on TV. If she's dropped it, it's been on the couch.

Oh I don't necessarily mean your fiance dropped it, the box could have been dropped in transit or something, there's not a huge amount of packaging in the box that softens any drops.

Deleted member 40102

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Return it and get another from different store so if something happens again tou can return it no hassle

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I was going to say that it might be one of those cases where the unit was turned on with the analog stick not centered, but it doesn't sound like that either. Most likely defective, and not drift.

mariodk18

Dec 27, 2017
That isn't drift man. Drift is when your character or camera keeps moving after you stop moving the stick.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
This is why I'll never buy a Switch Lite. Like, it's a bummer to have to replace my console controllers for $45 a pop. But if I had to just kinda toss my whole Xbox?

Yikes.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
This is why I'll never buy a Switch Lite. Like, it's a bummer to have to replace my console controllers for $45 a pop. But if I had to just kinda toss my whole Xbox?

Yikes.

I mean, first: you can fix actual joycon drift with a $5 can of electrical contact cleaner in about 2 minutes.

Second, there has not yet been a verifiable case of stick drift on Lites. That doesn't mean there won't be but the new design they implemented may have solved the issue.

OP
OP
gdt

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
We got it at Target on Saturday, we'll try to make time to exchange it tomorrow.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
As others have said, that doesn't sound like drift (speaking as somebody who just sent in his joycons to get fixed), but it sure sounds broken.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Is not drifting, so exchange it. To transfer saves you either need to upload to the cloud or transfer them to your Switch, then back to hers.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
What you're describing is the same dead zone problem numerous other users have found. Between it and the many defective dpads, Nintendo should be ashamed at how bad their quality control is. After 4 obviously defective units, I finally returned my most recent lite to Target and didn't do an exchange. I'd rather own no Lite than continue playing this shitty lottery.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
isnt Drift, a light input on a direction when not touched? this sound like a faulty stick.

Deleted member 5028

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm starting to wonder if this is a bug with the latest firmware. My Switch started driving on the left joycon right after installing.

OP
OP
gdt

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Guys quick question. Does anyone know if I need the original packaging to exchange something at Target. She did some cleaning yesterday and chucked the box....I could still get it from the trash but I don't wanna dig for it.

Deleted member 11626

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do have two switches now. So I have add new account to my old regular switch, move the saves, then move them to the new soon to come Switch Lite?

My regular switch drifts, and this sounds fucked.

You can move the account and saves in one fell swoop. Takes about five minutes or so. Maybe a little more. Then, when you get your new device, move it all back. It's like a three step process or something. You can transfer users from settings -> users if I'm not mistaken

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
Guys quick question. Does anyone know if I need the original packaging to exchange something at Target. She did some cleaning yesterday and chucked the box....I could still get it from the trash but I don't wanna dig for it.

You would have to be extremely fortunate to have them tack it back.

Dig or talk to Nintendo about warranty services.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
To those saying it's not drift. It can pretty much be the same root cause. The reason for the stick to drift is b/c of it getting dirt and grime on the sensors. Same thing can cause an input to not register at all.

Arkaign

Nov 25, 2017

Not worth the risk, because managers and employees can vary wildly in how they deal with people.

Get every scrap of packaging possible.

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Can't speak for Target's policies, but when I worked at Walmart you were generally fine if you at least had the receipt and everything it came with

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
No one's scenario is exactly the same. It's the reason why someone doesn't experience drift on their OG Joy-cons in years while others can experience in a month.

A month is still not 2 days. The only way to get the insides of the stick dirty enough to cause the issues you describe in 2 days is to either make it dirty on purpose or live in an extremely dirty house. Both of which I assume do not apply to the OP.

Wingfan19

Layout Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bothell WA
I brought this up in the Switch Lite thread, but this sounds like what's happening with my gf's Switch Lite. She was playing Links Awakening and was trying to move Link to the right, but he wouldn't move (or would move very slowly and/or stutter). It would start working again after a minute or so of her messing with the stick. It's only happened twice in the span of 3 days and hasn't happened for the past 2 weeks, but she's barely played anything since then.

I calibrated the sticks and they seem to work just fine there, but I think I'm gonna exchange hers for a new one.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
You need the box. Target matches the serial number on the receipt and box to the actual device.

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Until they didnt fix this problem entirely Nintendo doesnt deserve our money for their hardware.

Its borderline shitty to continue to sell a product with such a big flaw.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
I'm a Target manager. By policy, electronics returns require the packaging and all parts. Some stores may let you slide, but they technically shouldn't.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
ResetEra's denial over joy-cons and the Switch Lite being fundamentally shoddy hardware is really sad to see. Nintendo clearly went for quantity over quality this generation, and they're going to get away with it because fans don't care.