• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
During this gen, the Xbox was heavily accused of not having exclusive game, specially considering how well the playstation games did in the same timeframe, Now Microsoft is throwing money at the problem to quickly catch up, but i do wonder, with how much money they are moving, can this come back to bite them?

With Gamepass and how much they are spending on acquisitions it seems they don't care. Xbox is getting support from the MS top executives like never before. They treat it like an long term investement for the cloud future which MS as a whole is pushing.

Searsy82

May 13, 2019
And that is you speculating that he is talking about MS.
Did Brad says that is MS?

Brad Sams only covers MS business. For him to have any sort of insight into any of this it would have to be coming from sources he has covering MS. Its not that complicated. Is it speculation, sure. But it is generally informed speculation.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Yeah, i think with an end in sight for dedicated hardware (for the masses) in the long run (10 years?) , and how streaming is won with original content,
i asume that a lot of them realized that they need to start investing in studios to a) buy the ips they already have and b) have studios that they can count on to produce exclusive content for their platforms (and licence out to other platform holder?)

Microsoft started it in the last years, but they also are the ones that are pushin the most for a streaming service. Sony is next, and nintendo i asume will start buying studios simply cause they dont want to be caught in a situation where sony or ms buys studios like NLG, that produced for nintendo?

Oct 27, 2017
After reading this tweet twice it's not just about MS acquisitions. I'd guess that Google, Apple and Amazon are entering the fray
I definitely agree this is what it's about.

Depending on how serious these companies are in entering into the video game industry to try and add value to their existing ecosystems and develop streaming platforms, Microsoft, Google, Apple, and Amazon seem like the obvious players and the companies which could justify massive acquisition deals while also having the infrastructure to develop streaming platforms and use it as a channel to support the rest of their business.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Brad Sams only covers MS business. For him to have any sort of insight into any of this it would have to be coming from sources he has covering MS. Its not that complicated. Is it speculation, sure. But it is generally informed speculation.

Yeah, the dude literally exclusively covers Microsoft.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona
Why not specify it on the tweet than?
Why just make it so vague with a "might or might not happen" type of tweet?

Also the tweet seems to talk on plural.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Can Ms stop with these acquisitions? They have plenty of studios

1598326920764.gif

more day 1 gamepass games the better

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
Why not specify it on the tweet than?
Why just make it so vague with a "might or might not happen" type of tweet?

Also the tweet seems to talk on plural.

Look at his Twitter. The last month is literally: Teams, One Drive, Azure, Power Shell, Windows, Xbox, Game Pass, Office 365, Surface, Flight Simulator, Microsoft ARM chips, etc.

The plurality of the tweet is in reference to multiple companies being bidded on, not multiple companies putting out bids for gaming companies.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Companies expect streaming to broaden the AAA market exponentially, and content is king.
Microsoft has been ahead of the game on this expansion, Phil saw the opportunity and Satya signed off on it.
Great leadership.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
If Microsoft wants to throw money around to get games onto GamePass day 1, by all means, please do so. No more acquisitions tho :( ** You could argue that Microsoft needed to do something about their first party situation, as they had not accomplished enough organically. But after Zenimax/Bethesda's acquisition, along with Double Fine, Ninja Theory, Playground, Obsidion, inXile etc (this is already a long list), do they need to keep going?

It's annoying enough seeing Sony lock down countless titles as year + exclusives. This all feels like it's just going to keep escalating

** Edit: Unless of course a studio is really looking to be bought. Can't really be too upset with that one.

1598326920764.gif

more day 1 gamepass games the better

Why not just Day 1 GamePass from here on out? Skip exclusivity.

MarcelloF

Dec 9, 2020
Level 5 would be nice. Microsoft could use another Japanese developer, and I feel like Level 5 will go under if no one buys them lol

Oct 27, 2017
Look at his Twitter. The last month is literally: Teams, One Drive, Azure, Power Shell, Windows, Xbox, Game Pass, Office 365, Surface, Flight Simulator, Microsoft ARM chips, etc.

The plurality of the tweet is in reference to multiple companies being bidded on, not multiple companies putting out bids for gaming companies.
Maybe I'm reading it incorrectly, but definitely the Twitter thread seems to be that multiple gaming companies are getting many different bids (i.e. multiple companies are bidding on numerous companies, with many of these bids overlapping i.e. for certain gaming companies they have received various offers from many different buyers).

Even if his contacts are primarily in Microsoft, if their offers need to be revised because of other companies are also bidding, it's possible he would have an awareness (I don't know much of his credibility or history, so this of course is also dependent on that).

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
If Microsoft wants to throw money around to get games onto GamePass day 1, by all means, please do so. No more acquisitions tho :(

You could argue that Microsoft needed to do something about their first party situation, as they had not accomplished enough organically. But after Zenimax/Bethesda's acquisition, along with Double Fine, Ninja Theory, Playground, Obsidion, inXile etc (this is already a long list), do they need to keep going?

It's annoying enough seeing Sony lock down countless titles as year + exclusives. This all feels like it's just going to keep escalating

Why not just Day 1 GamePass from here on out? Skip exclusivity.

fine with me

i actually prefer MS strat of just buying talent as opposed to sony paying to keep things off other platforms for a year

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Is Tencent's total acquisitions even equal to MS's purchase of Zenimax? And that's not even getting into all of the other studios MS has relatively recently purchased.

Tencent owns 40% of Epic Games and all of Riot, among much, much more, such as 5% of Ubi.

In terms of dollars spent? Maybe not. In terms of value these days? Absolutely more.

Angie

Best Avatar Thread Ever!
Nov 20, 2017
Kingdom of Corona

I'm not going to argue over this, I'm going to take your word on it. I admit I don't follow him.
I just reading the tweet it did not appeard MS as opposed what the title said.

giphy.gif

It was not my ittention to derail the thread btw.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Most people are talking about Microsoft, but what about Sony's side? They have good relationships with Bluepoint and Sumo. Could definitely see a Bluepoint announcement in the near future.

tutomos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think everybody is trying to catch up to the two of the biggest gaming companies in the world (Tencent and Sony). I think I will look out for these two to do some damage since some other smaller players were more active in the past years.

Note: Tencent spent $8.5bn on Supercell and $1.5bn on Leyou.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Tencent's total acquisitions even equal to MS's purchase of Zenimax? And that's not even getting into all of the other studios MS has relatively recently purchased.
tencent purchased supercell (clash of clans dev) for 8.6 billion dollars. that's a dev that most people here probably don't care about but they got money to spend.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro

Now that you mention it I apologize, you are right, I thought multiple bids meant multiple companies bidding not MS bidding on multiple companies.

And yeah, bidding like that to me sounds like more than the regular talks companies have in the business and more like a concerned effort by MS to aggresively expand their first party.

Angie22 my previous reply to you was a misunderstanding on my part.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With regards to the tweet, he mentions IP being expensive. Bluepoint don't really have any IP as they focus on remakes/remasters.
Sony needs to buy square enix, to make up for Microsoft buying Bethesda

let's face it, there's a competition between companies now for buying other companies and Sony and Nintendo need to get more serious about it

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
Several companies getting multiple bids means that there are several companies getting multiple bids. You can't read that as Microsoft is bidding on multiple companies. It doesn't say Microsoft getting ready with multiple bids (although they no doubt are). There are probably a lot of companies who will be throwing money around as the industry continues to consolidate.

SpokkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the connection directly related to Microsoft unless this guy only reports on Microsoft news?

Bethesda is really the only major one so far that got some movement it seems. No disrespect to the other studios but to make headlines sadly this is the only way to get much needed attention and to put up a good fight.

he only reports MS news, yes

so MS is 100% involved in some way at least

Status
Not open for further replies.