• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Jason has made no secret of the fact that he personally prefers PlayStation. On its own that would be fine but I feel Jason has difficulty separating his personal biases from his reporting. Case in point - He expressed that he was troubled how Microsoft was flying journalists in to check out the Xbox One X yet had no trouble with Sony flying journalists in for their own products.
I don't know when will people stop with this nonsense. This post isn't even a week old:
The stupidest thing about people calling me a PlayStation fanboy is that if I have any emotional attachment to a video game company, it's Nintendo. (Not that that'd ever stop me from reporting critically on the company or its games.) I have zero attachment to Sony or PlayStation. I imagine anyone who's listened to Splitscreen/Triple Click can probably attest to this too.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
Specifically, developers were not fully versed in how development (or profiling as it is now called)

Er, what? Development and profiling are two different things. Is this in relation to the PC-ness of modern consoles making the dev units more a case of "finding out how effectively the software will run on target hardware", with the bulk of dev taking place natively on PC, or is the reporter getting terms somewhat confused?

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Eh, the existence of Lockhart would be reason enough not to get the series x. At least not till I see how it plays out in terms of exclusives. If there are any differences at or close to launch it will only get worse as the gen goes on. There is a reason Sony is not doing it and it's likely because exclusives are their bread and butter.

Fabtacular

Jul 11, 2019
I don't know when will people stop with this nonsense. This post isn't even a week old:

He's just not aware of his biases.

And the "how could I be biased towards Sony when I wrote a couple of critical articles on them" defense is basically the journalists' version of "how can I be a racist if I have a black friend."

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
Did it now? Was RDR2 held back the X1S? One of the best looking games of the generation, and open world.
You're missing the point. That poster is saying Control having to run on a GTX 1660 does not affect the RTX 2080Ti one bit.
But neither is relevant, because the game is first and foremost designed around the capabilities of the base Xbox One.

He's just not aware of his biases.

And the "how could I be biased towards Sony when I wrote a couple of critical articles on them" defense is basically the journalists' version of "how can I be a racist if I have a black friend."
lol that's a ridiculous comparison.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It's ok, y'all gonna change your tune in two or three years.

No, the Xbox One S did, though.

Because of its shitty CPU not because of its shitty GPU.

Lower bound GPUs would not logically limit a games upperbound.

The LH from the leaks only has none of the "slow" RAM and a weaker GPU.

THe CPU and SSD are the same as the Series X.
So it wont be holding back game design.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
Eh, the existence of Lockhart would be reason enough not to get the series x. At least not till I see how it plays out in terms of exclusives. If there are any differences at or close to launch it will only get worse as the gen goes on. There is a reason Sony is not doing it and it's likely because exclusives are their bread and butter.
At least going by what they shown so far, all Sony's exclusive are native 4K. That means there is plenty of room to scale them down for a less powerful gpu.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I mean does portable mode hold back docked mode on the Switch?

It's certainly possible. From a design standpoint, you'd have to consider that any planned features/design would scale to portable mode as well, so it's possible it would have an effect on the overall design of the game. Then, depending on the scope of the game and the team resources, you optimize the game to best work in both docked and portable. Like, look at Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart, for example. A huge part of its design conceit is being able to seamlessly jump between worlds in seconds. Like, loading entire levels in seconds, and doing so again seconds later. If that game was coming to Switch, that simply wouldn't be possible, so the entire design of the game would have to be reworked. It would be a totally different game in scope and feel.

Hermii

Oct 27, 2017
It's certainly possible. From a design standpoint, you'd have to consider that any planned features/design would scale to portable mode as well, so it's possible it would have an effect on the overall design of the game. Then, depending on the scope of the game and the team resources, you optimize the game to best work in both docked and portable. Like, look at Ratchet and Clank: A Rift Apart, for example. A huge part of its design conceit is being able to seamlessly jump between worlds in seconds. Like, loading entire levels in seconds, and doing so again seconds later. If that game was coming to Switch, that simply wouldn't be possible, so the entire design of the game would have to be reworked. It would be a totally different game in scope and feel.
Nobody's arguing rift apart would work on switch (any mode). Bad example.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
That was said back in the day. With the old info.
Is is seriously your contention that if the GPU in Lockhart was the equivalent power to 4.2TF GCN, so let's say 3TF RDNA2 "it holds back next gen" would be valid - but now it's "known" to be 4TF developers holding that opinion are simply incorrect?

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I mean, what does not holding back mean. Does getting the CPU up to parity mean that literally any game you could design for Series X could be made to run on Lockhart with no changes other than resolution? Because that's really what you need for "not holding back" to be true, at a minimum. And even then is it "any game you design for Serirs X can be made to run on Lockhart with no changes other than resolution so long as you do X amount of work to get it running"? Because if that X is too high, you'll still have lots of devs making the economic decision to develop to the lower standard to save that work. Those problems seem solvable, but I really want to see the full Microsoft presentation on how it'll work and the developer testimony that yes, it really does work well, before I full believe it.

Oct 27, 2017
I still see the lower GPU power as a potential hurdle. This gen will see use of many complex shaders, raytracing, and other expensive effects and the internal, pre-AI-upscaled resolution of demanding games on the XSX may be 1080P or 1440P to begin with. A third to quarter internal res on XSS would make for some really low image quality to maintain performance, which factoring in AI-upscaling could lead to issues as the initial image sample would be of low quality.

I'm not sure why that wouldn't potentially limit the initial XSX target if compatibility with XSS is a must.

arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
Has Brad Sams ever programmed a line of code? Has he ever been developing games? He's just being fed stuff from the microsoft side.
Last I checked a Geforce 1060 can do raytracing, that doesn't mean it does it well. Lockhart has a 4 TFLOPS gpu.
Conspiracy theories. His information is more believable than a person saying it's comparable to PS4 Pro GPU for all we know. I don't doubt the person saying that, but the information he got early on should be doubted, because developers aren't stupid and should know the difference between RDNA2 and PS4 Pro GPU.
If Rocket League has screen tearing at 60fps on a PS4 Pro I don't see how Lockhart will run a game like that in 120fps, even with the CPU and "better flops" RDNA2. Surely that's not a real possibility given it's power.
Depends on the requirements of the game. If it is CPU bound, then that's certainly possible to do 120FPS.

cyrribrae

Chicken Chaser
Jan 21, 2019
Oh pleaseeeee the pearl clutching in this thread is hilarious. If people are willing to give Schrier a pass on some of his obvious joke roasts of Lockhart (whatever your opinions on the other stuff), I can't see why they're getting mad at the EXACT SAME THING here. Sure, maybe it'd be much better if none of them said anything at all. Maybe it'd also be much better if people stopped jumping to conclusions about the character of a person and their fundamental nature over essentially inconsequential stuff.

Huh.

Deleted member 64241

User requested account closure
Mar 2, 2020
Earth
I'm gonna look this up. I've seen GameCore being mentioned a lot in the Xbox thread but haven't yet checked out some details on it. Will this be for first party only or basically all developers?

On the software side of things, Microsoft is working on what it calls GameCore that will benefit both PC and Xbox gamers. The goal of this feature is to make it easier for developers to build games faster and have more built-in functionality out of the dev kit box.

GameCore is the evolution of the UWP platform and is going to help Microsoft eventually start building container-based apps. GameCore will make it significantly easier for developers to utilize Xbox services on both PC and the Xbox and should provide for higher levels of performance with lower-level system access and control of hardware assets.
https://www.thurrott.com/games/1953...onda-anthem-danta-lockhart-maverick-and-roma#

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
I also used the 1060 as its the current most popular GPU on Steam.
So devs are unlikely to stop supporting it entirely very soon.

Which means min-spec will like be at or about 1060 level for a while.
The 1060 is going to fall behind next-gen power. The RTX 2060 or 1660 Ti will replace it in system requirements.

As with all generational shift, PC gamers have to sink or swim. Upgrade or else.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
What I don't understand with Lockheart not 'holding back' the Series X, is that surely if you are forcing a resolution difference of 1080p and 4k that is going to limit what developers can do. Say they want to run a more intensive game at 1440p on the Series X to ensure a stable performance, how would they be able to also make it run at 1080p on Lockheart (nobody wants a game at 720p surely)? So surely the existence of a lower power console inherently creates a bottleneck because there's an extra limitation to how intensive a series X game can be?

Series X games are presumably going to have to be upscaled Lockheart games, rather than Lockheart games being downscaled Series X games, right? Also take the current gen, would games on the PS4 Pro/One X have looked better if they were the base console?

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
What I don't understand with Lockheart not 'holding back' the Series X, is that surely if you are forcing a resolution difference of 1080p and 4k that is going to limit what developers can do. Say they want to run a more intensive game at 1440p on the Series X to ensure a stable performance, how would they be able to also make it run at 1080p on Lockheart (nobody wants a game at 720p surely)? So surely the existence of a lower power console inherently creates a bottleneck because there's an extra limitation to how intensive a series X game can be?

Series X games are presumably going to have to be upscaled Lockheart games, rather than Lockheart games being downscaled Series X games, right? Also take the current gen, would games on the PS4 Pro/One X have looked better if they were the base console?
You scale down most of the time.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017

In that instance I think the developers would drop resolution to 1080p/something close to it and then scale back additional graphics effects where necessary to hit roughly the same level of performance.

beansontoast

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2020
In that instance I think the developers would drop resolution to 1080p/something close to it and then scale back additional graphics effects where necessary to hit roughly the same level of performance.
This makes sense. I wonder how big an effect it would have on how the games actually look (I imagine stuff like RT reflections would be an example of something that would get scaled back).

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
This makes sense. I wonder how big an effect it would have on how the games actually look (I imagine stuff like RT reflections would be an example of something that would get scaled back).

My prediction is that ray-tracing will be massively dialed back in the Lockhart versions of games. Sure, it supports it, but unless AMD's RT solution is some magical stuff I don't see how I won't be one of the first things to go.

armadillopoke

Banned
May 14, 2020
User Banned (1 Week) - Accusations of Shilling with history of platform warring
As far as I'm concerned this guy's obvious fanboy tendencies make his claims about the platform not holding Series X back completely unbelievable. I think 'Lockhart' if it exists is going to cause serious problems for MS. They've really just failed to understand the direction that real-time rendering is heading, between their painfully slow I/O solution in their supposed 'high end' console and this worthless box that simply does not have the horsepower to do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony start copping a lot of 'free' exclusives just so developers can avoid the Lockhart nightmare.

Last edited:

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As far as I'm concerned this guy's obvious fanboy tendencies make his claims about the platform not holding Series X back completely unbelievable. I think 'Lockhart' if it exists is going to cause serious problems for MS. They've really just failed to understand the direction that real-time rendering is heading, between their painfully slow I/O solution and this box that simply does not have the horsepower to do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony start copping a lot of 'free' exclusives just to avoid the Lockhart nightmare.

lol fanboy

you really haven't read the shit they say about Microsoft at thurrott.com have you

Literally the most critical critics on the Microsoft beat

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
dear god, some people are going to be living their own personal TLOU apocalypse after the July event and Lockhart reveal. You hate to see it.

Oct 27, 2017
Las Vegas
As far as I'm concerned this guy's obvious fanboy tendencies make his claims about the platform not holding Series X back completely unbelievable. I think 'Lockhart' if it exists is going to cause serious problems for MS. They've really just failed to understand the direction that real-time rendering is heading, between their painfully slow I/O solution in their supposed 'high end' console and this worthless box that simply does not have the horsepower to do anything. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony start copping a lot of 'free' exclusives just so developers can avoid the Lockhart nightmare.

Shine on warrior, shine on.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The 1060 is going to fall behind next-gen power. The RTX 2060 or 1660 Ti will replace it in system requirements.

As with all generational shift, PC gamers have to sink or swim. Upgrade or else.

Avatar bet for when the RTX 2060 becomes commonplace min-Spec.

I say 2024 at the earliest, 2026 for when having anything under an RTX 2060 really starts to affect games you can play.

RDR2 still had a GTX7 as its min-Spec and that game is arguably the best looking game this generation.

The Lockhart isnt going to hold back shit the lowerbound doesnt dictate the upperbound when it comes to GPUs.
The gulf between min, rec and ide-Spec can be jarring.

SO if lockhart is "holding back" anything it will be on the RAM side......but on the GPU front thats a nope from me.
Devs can cut back as much as needed to make a game work on a weak GPU.

Look up potato quality videos and youll see with enough time the lowerbound of graphical kingpins is legit a potato.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'd like to weigh in on the most important issue in this thread: the Lockhart should indeed be a smol cube.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
Interestingly the only thing he doesn't talk about in the article is the rumored memory size for games: 7.5GB. I think this is what is going to hold back next-gen. Not the CPU, not the GPU, the reduced available ram.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
S won't make X games look or perform worse. A GPU downgrade won't hold anything back, especially when there's just two GPU's.
You'll just get worse graphics/performance on the shittier GPU.

6GB less RAM seems sketchy though. Perhaps that's all effectively VRAM that the S theoretically doesn't need at 1080p, potato settings etc.
But yeah that's significantly less RAM for developers to use for whatever.

On the X you can balance RAM usage like 13GB system, 0.5GB video. I don't know how or why you would, this is just a stupid example, but whatever visually regressed weird thicc game that is, it would be impossible on the S.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Avatar bet for when the RTX 2060 becomes commonplace min-Spec.

I say 2024 at the earliest, 2026 for when having anything under an RTX 2060 really starts to affect games you can play.

RDR2 still had a GTX7 as its min-Spec and that game is arguably the best looking game this generation.

The Lockhart isnt going to hold back shit the lowerbound doesnt dictate the upperbound when it comes to GPUs.
The gulf between min, rec and ide-Spec can be jarring.

SO if lockhart is "holding back" anything it will be on the RAM side......but on the GPU front thats a nope from me.
Devs can cut back as much as needed to make a game work on a weak GPU.

Look up potato quality videos and youll see with enough time the lowerbound of graphical kingpins is legit a potato.
So 2024, when the pubs are done with the last-gen consoles and the true next-gen exclusives are dropping. So you are... agreeing with me? I didn't say immediately after all.

And you want a 4 year advance on an avatar bet. Maybe don't take this so seriously.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'd like to weigh in on the most important issue in this thread: the Lockhart should indeed be a smol cube.
I'm wondering if the team every seriously stopped after seeing that design and started to seriously consider it.
Though I imagine unless they were already planning something similar, by the time they saw it it would be way too late to make the required changes.