• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll repeat what I've been saying all along: platform holder acquisitions are bad unless it's one of the following 2 scenarios: the studio was already exclusive anyway, or the studio likely would have gone bankrupt/through a massive reduction of workforce without the acquisition.

100%.

I like how Sony and Nintendo are doing this. NExt Level was as good as exclusive to nintendo even before they were bought. Same goes for Insomniac and Sony.

Nobody said anything bad about MS buying Double Fine and Obsidian. They're good studios and needed a strong partner.

But outright buying a publisher is to much imo.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Every. Single. Time.
I'll repeat what I've been saying all along: platform holder acquisitions are bad unless it's one of the following 2 scenarios: the studio was already exclusive anyway, or the studio likely would have gone bankrupt/through a massive reduction of workforce without the acquisition.

For me, I don't look at as taking games away from me. I buy platforms to play the games I want, not the other way around. But I'd also rather have exclusives and a healthy variety in the industry. So the question with acquisitions is always going to be, for me: Does this give more financial freedom to the developers that are bought? Will they be allowed to make more games without having to worry about cost?

That's a harder question to answer. I'm not buying a Microsoft console until further into the generation, so I'll be missing out on all kinds of Microsoft games for a while. But that's fine if Microsoft owning these companies allows them to make a lot of different stuff.

And maybe the answer to that is no, no it doesn't.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Man, if we're going to have a Cyberpunk hell-hole future where megacorps control literally everything then can we at least get some damn robot arms and holograms or something? It's getting ridiculous at this point.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
Amazon (and Sony to a lesser degree) are after IP that they can use in more than just games. I'd think Amazon would keep most developers multi-platform for that very reason, cause they could leverage the IP in other ways on Twitch, Amazon Prime, etc.
I'd hope so. I'm not sure this industry is ready for an entire publisher to drop local gaming.

Jun 15, 2020
When Tim Schaefer and (I think) Brian Fargo started talking about his they were excited to actually direct games themselves again, which they didn't get to do much of as an indie because soooooo much of their time was pitching and securing funding, it made me realize how much it sucks to be an indie, in many ways. I'd sell too.

Hell, Brian Fargo was gonna retire until the acquisition.

Deeke

Oct 25, 2017
United States
I think many companies want to push M&A because of coronavirus-related industry earning surges. I think the lockdowns may have changed how people spend their free time and pushed consumers more towards gaming as recreational activities (it's already changed how they work, for instance). It's a good time to buy up, invest, and release products that reinforce these new changes.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
I haven't owned an xbox since 360, but I'd probably agree with you. At least I know I'd probably still be able to play their games on my pc. I still don't want it, though. I have a PS4 and I'll surely buy a PS5, but I don't want them buying anyone up, either. It largely sucks for everyone when it happens. I don't trust Amazon or Google one bit, so I would hate to see them buy anyone up.

for amazon or google its
not realistic to think they'll just stand and watch a whole entertainment industry getting consodilated by competition.
pretty sure betheshda acquisition irked multiple parties. begun the pricing wars have.
yeah its terrible future for whole industry.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I am for sale
I think many companies want to push M&A because of coronavirus-related industry earning surges. I think the lockdowns may have changed how people spend their free time and pushed consumers more towards gaming as recreational activities (it's already changed how they work, for instance). It's a good time to buy up, invest, and release products that reinforce these new changes.
I think that is a factor along with the overall economic impact from COVID straining finances both at a personal level and at a enterprise level that lead to companies either wanting to sell, or being in a position where they have to sell. Meanwhile companies that have successfully rode out the pandemic, or flourished during it, are in prime position to make acquisitions.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
Not really surprising. MS, Amazon and Google all want to make their subscription services as attractive as possible and acquiring games you can't play anywhere else is a big factor in that. I'm still pretty surprised that Sony continues to treat PS Now as such an afterthought.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Every. Single. Time.

Any "exclusive" third party dev is only exclusive until they aren't. (See: Overdrive, Sunset). When you acquire a studio, you're acquiring their future, and withholding that potential future from everyone else.

PoeticProse22

Oct 25, 2017
What an awful and sadly predictable future for the industry. Consolidation has always occurred, but not nearly to the ruinous degree that seems increasingly inevitable following recent acquisitions.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
we have no idea what amazon or google would do if they acquired a big publisher. so far amazon has bought small devs and swallowed them into their amazon game studios or whatever it's called. if they bought capcom, would they make street fighter an exclusive streaming game and forego all that guaranteed money to make people play a shitty version of a game that wouldn't work right streamed? i think it's more likely they would release their stuff everywhere and make a bunch of animated series of the IPs. hopefully we never find out but it feels inevitable now.

Nov 1, 2017
People shouldn't be surprise if Amazon makes some moves. They understand that exclusives content moves subscription, we are seeing their moves with Prime Video.
Amazon have been impotently flailing around in the games business for ages now and have yet to release anything of note. I'm not convinced that they have any idea what they are doing so not too worried about them. Even if Google snaps someone up they will probably sell them on again when they inevitably get bored and kill off Stadia.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
At this point I just want to see Amazon and Google going all in just to see those that keep repeating "you won't need to buy hardware you can play trough streaming" eating their own crowns.

Jan 4, 2018
100%.

I like how Sony and Nintendo are doing this. NExt Level was as good as exclusive to nintendo even before they were bought. Same goes for Insomniac and Sony.

Nobody said anything bad about MS buying Double Fine and Obsidian. They're good studios and needed a strong partner.

But outright buying a publisher is to much imo.

In the case of Bethesda, we know that they looked to become part of a larger company. Someone was going to buy them in any case.

ZedKay101

May 31, 2020
When Tim Schaefer and (I think) Brian Fargo started talking about his they were excited to actually direct games themselves again, which they didn't get to do much of as an indie because soooooo much of their time was pitching and securing funding, it made me realize how much it sucks to be an indie, in many ways. I'd sell too.

Hell, Brian Fargo was gonna retire until the acquisition.
Yeah. Must be great for Double Fine as MS have allowed the studio to maintain its culture and style of game making (based on interview), without having to worry about funding and pitching etc. Best of both worlds.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So no good outcomes there?

Great.

ZMhb.gif

"I am OK with games being taken away from other people, as long as they're not taken away from me"

Basically.

Bessy67

Oct 29, 2017
we have no idea what amazon or google would do if they acquired a big publisher. so far amazon has bought small devs and swallowed them into their amazon game studios or whatever it's called. if they bought capcom, would they make street fighter an exclusive streaming game and forego all that guaranteed money to make people play a shitty version of a game that wouldn't work right streamed? i think it's more likely they would release their stuff everywhere and make a bunch of animated series of the IPs. hopefully we never find out but it feels inevitable now.
Eh, I feel like Amazon more than anyone else understands that losing money now in order to grow subscriptions long term is a winning strategy. Anything Amazon buys gaming wise will likely be Luna exclusive.

Deleted member 68874

Account closed at user request
Banned
May 10, 2020
At this point I just want to see Amazon and Google going all in just to see those that keep repeating "you won't need to buy hardware you can play trough streaming" eating their own crowns.
Streaming hundreds of games for $10 with the option to buy physical is much different than spending $70 to stream one game with no option to buy physical.

If you cant see the difference I dont know what to tell you.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
I don't want platform holders acquiring devs and publishers. That fucking sucks. Stop taking games away from people. Most of us can't afford all the different systems and subs.

Good news: If you build/buy a gaming computer you'll have access to 4 out of the 5 companies listed in the OP. Buying a PS5 grants you access to the 5th.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
Amazon or Google making a big acquisition would be a bummer. I am not ready for an all streaming future in the near term.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
I hate that this is going to be happening. Like, I don't mind MS aquisitions as much because I, a consumer and Gamepass subscriber get to benefit directly because of it, but at the same time my friends with Playstation as their main or only system miss out on some games as well. Other acquisitions, like Amazon, Sony or Google I hate a lot more, because then (assuming the games are made exclusive) I get no real benefit and people get games taken away from them. Not to mention just consolidation of the industry in general which is just gross.

This generation is going to be depressing, doubly so if another publisher is bought out again. I can't blame MS for wanting to partake in the upcoming bidding wars, but this is just all so saddening to me. Doubly so if we have any Rare situations with beloved studios (as in, a beloved studio losing their culture and vibe from their games after being purchased, even if the studios do eventually make a comeback, and this isn't a dig at MS either, they have handled their recent buyouts pretty well so far, though it's obviously to early to tell)

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Eh, I feel like Amazon more than anyone else understands that losing money now in order to grow subscriptions long term is a winning strategy. Anything Amazon buys gaming wise will likely be Luna exclusive.

i really hope you're wrong but i guess we'll see. the people who made killer instinct 2013 got swallowed into their game division that has seemingly done nothing for the past 5 years or so. i guess theyre working on that really shitty looking mmorpg? sucks because KI 2013 was brilliant.

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
This gen will likely change gaming forever.

And I have a feeling Sony will be left behind.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
This gen will likely change gaming forever.

And I have a feeling Sony will be left behind.

I don't think I'd say that.

I think a more accurate way to think of it would be that everyone is going to feel the pain as devs (and possibly publishers) get swallowed up by bigger companies. I think everyone will feel the pain because a platform you own might scoop up a developer you like, but you'll also likely lose a developer to another platform at the same time.

It sucks but it is an inevitable stage of capitalism that is difficult to deter.