• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017

If Timestamp isn't working he starts talking about it at 12:10. He said he knows 3 acquisition targets from these companies. He thinks we might start hearing about it soon.

Oct 26, 2017
With MS I know I get to keep playing locally and they will keep the major games as physical media release.

Google and Amazon though? Not looking forward to cloud-exclusive games.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I don't want platform holders acquiring devs and publishers. That fucking sucks. Stop taking games away from people. Most of us can't afford all the different systems and subs.

edit: Stop quoting me, corporate shills.

Last edited:

DarthWalden

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I really hope amazon or Google don't snatch up any companies that make games I like.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna fucking suck.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This generation is going to be a miserable garbage nightmare no matter which platform you prioritize.

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
People shouldn't be surprise if Amazon makes some moves. They understand that exclusives content moves subscription, we are seeing their moves with Prime Video.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Amazon will get Capcom
Google will get Square
EA will get Platinum
MS will get Mistwalker
Sony will get Bluepoint

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
There isn't really much to talk about here? Those companies are looking for acquisitions, we already knew that.
I wonder what are these 3 acquisition targets though, but it could be anyone so....🤷‍♂️

Vinc

Oct 25, 2017
Sigh. Hoping against hope this consolidation ends so that we continue to get a large quantity of high quality, diverse games, and that the people that make them remain gainfully employed.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't want platform holders acquiring devs and publishers. That fucking sucks. Stop taking games away from people. Most of us can't afford all the different systems and subs.

If a platform holder is going to buy up developers and publishers I want it to be Microsoft more than anyone. They are the only one that has demonstrated that they want to put games on their console as well as PC. This isn't to shit on Sony, but they clearly are focused on their console and PC is an afterthought. Microsoft I have a massive library of games and they are providing future technology with xcloud. Google and Amazon would be my worst fears come true. I wouldn't play any games they offer unless they were on PC.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
ZMhb.gif

If a platform holder is going to buy up developers and publishers I want it to be Microsoft more than anyone. They are the only one that has demonstrated that they want to put games on their console as well as PC. This isn't to shit on Sony, but they clearly are focused on their console and PC is an afterthought. Microsoft I have a massive library of games and they are providing future technology with xcloud. Google and Amazon would be my worst fears come true. I wouldn't play any games they offer unless they were on PC.

"I am OK with games being taken away from other people, as long as they're not taken away from me"

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I like microsoft but fuck they need to take an ease on acquisitions. They just bought how many studios, and just getting bethesda.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017

I am very optimistic towards Microsoft and XBOX in general but I think there's a lot of reason to be cautious with Microsoft buying companies, as they have struggled in the past to get games out from certain studios.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I haven't owned an xbox since 360, but I'd probably agree with you. At least I know I'd probably still be able to play their games on my pc. I still don't want it, though. I have a PS4 and I'll surely buy a PS5, but I don't want them buying anyone up, either. It largely sucks for everyone when it happens. I don't trust Amazon or Google one bit, so I would hate to see them buy anyone up.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can these mega corporations just stop and not ruin video games?

Nope.

Last year showed them big time how reliable gaming can be in terms of steady flow of cash. Even during a global crysis.

And i'm sure amazon, google, etc. are well aware what microsoft is doing right now. Especially after their bethesda shopping spree.

EA, Activision, Square-Enix, Ubisoft, Sega and even Capcom to a lesser degree may not be particularly "cheap" but google and amazon can still buy one or two of them without opening their wallts too deep. I'm sure even Nadella would listen to Phil when he can show that amazon and google are making a move.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Whole industry is headed towards this over the next few years even more than it already has been. Companies like Tencent, THQ Nordic, Keywords and others have been gobbling up other companies, middleware, QA houses, outsourcing studios, etc throughout the industry for years now.

Much like the movie industry, be ready for some major consolidation over the rest of this gen.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder who Amazon and Google would try and snatch up. Maybe Ubisoft or T2. It would be pretty wild seeing someone huge locked behind a streaming only platform.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
"I am OK with games being taken away from other people, as long as they're not taken away from me"
Every. Single. Time.
I'll repeat what I've been saying all along: platform holder acquisitions are bad unless it's one of the following 2 scenarios: the studio was already exclusive anyway, or the studio likely would have gone bankrupt/through a massive reduction of workforce without the acquisition.

joshcam19

Nov 11, 2017
I agree with this, I'd rather platform holders invest in creation of new studios.
If a platform holder is acquiring a studio, at least make it a 2nd party studio that is already pretty much only making games for your platform.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I wonder who Amazon and Google would try and snatch up. Maybe Ubisoft or T2. It would be pretty wild seeing someone huge locked behind a streaming only platform.

Amazon (and Sony to a lesser degree) are after IP that they can use in more than just games. I'd think Amazon would keep most developers multi-platform for that very reason, cause they could leverage the IP in other ways on Twitch, Amazon Prime, etc.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Not looking forward to Google or Amazon making moves. Microsoft at least you know there are options there.

On the bright side, big acquisitions will also probably mean an infusion of talent opening new studios, if some people leave in the wake of those acquisitions.

kubev

Oct 25, 2017
California
Yeah, frankly, it's best for most people if Microsoft is the one doing the acquisitions. Sony doesn't have the money, and Microsoft is obviously competing with Sony directly to the extent that the Xbox ecosystem is a pretty clear GOOD alternative to the PlayStation ecosystem if Microsoft continues to make acquisitions to fend off Amazon and Google. I really don't know what to think about Amazon, as I think the whole Fire TV gaming initiative was TERRIBLE, yet Luna is pretty solid in terms of the quality of the experience (even if the selection isn't amazing yet). Google's attempt to get into gaming seems to be really misguided. I really, really wish Google would stay out of it, though I do think Stadia is a potentially incredible platform for game development, and I'd like to see Google simply give companies access to amazing development tools, maybe in exchange for promising a Stadia release of games (but not EXCLUSIVE to Stadia). I do think there's some merit to cloud services, but Google messed up by just sort of going the OnLive route. At least OnLive had amazing sales to make it KIND OF worth the buy-in.

Sota4077

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"If a platform holder is going to buy up developers and publishers I want it to be Microsoft more than anyone. They are the only one that has demonstrated that they want to put games on their console as well as PC. "

What part of that suggests I want to take shit away from anyone? I only said that *IF* a platform holder is *GOING* to buy up developers I would rather have it be Microsoft because they are putting their games on both PC and Xbox which puts them in front of more people than if it were purchased by Sony, Amazon or Google. Dafuq, brother? Like you just accused me of the literal opposite of what I actually said.

Minthara

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Every. Single. Time.
I'll repeat what I've been saying all along: platform holder acquisitions are bad unless it's one of the following 2 scenarios: the studio was already exclusive anyway, or the studio likely would have gone bankrupt/through a massive reduction of workforce without the acquisition.

Its not only that. A lot of studios and even publishers are thinking they are reaching peak value, so its time to sell.

So its neither of your scenarios are going to play out and more one of "time to cash out because the cat will never be more fat" for quite a few of the sales that are going to happen.

It's going to happen a lot this gen, especially as IP becomes more coveted.