• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They did scalebound to themselves,. That wasn't on Microsoft

Sounds like Inaba thinks they're both to blame, but clearly Kamiya was pissed at how Microsoft handled things.

Scalebound Director Pissed at "Shits at Microsoft," That Are Messing with him

Scalebound-Director-Tweets-2.jpg

Scalebound-Director-Tweets.jpg

Translates to:

"those shits at MS… are they fucking with me…?"

Scalebound Developer Laments Microsoft Taking 'Brunt' of Blame for Cancellation

Speaking to Video Games Chronicles, PlatinumGames studio head Atsushi Inaba discussed Scalebound's cancellation, noting "both [Microsoft and Platinum Games] failed" when it came to the project.

"I think there are areas where we could've done better and I'm sure there are areas that Microsoft as a publishing partner wish that they could've done better. Because nobody wants a game to be canceled," Inaba said.

Dec 2, 2017
I can't imagine Nintendo would let such a thing happen. I imagine they'd attempt to outbid since Platinum has been such an important third party to them over the last decade.
Have they though? Wonderful 101 seemed to bomb. Bayonetta 2 was well received, but I don't think it set the world on fire. Star Fox was outright bad. Astral Chain seems to be the first solid hit for them with Nintendo.

lemonade

May 8, 2018
Tencent has a better track record than Microsoft when it comes to letting game studios do what they want.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Sounds like Inaba thinks they're both to blame, but clearly Kamiya was pissed at how Microsoft handled things.

Scalebound Director Pissed at "Shits at Microsoft," That Are Messing with him

Scalebound-Director-Tweets-2.jpg

Scalebound-Director-Tweets.jpg

Translates to:

"those shits at MS… are they fucking with me…?"

Scalebound Developer Laments Microsoft Taking 'Brunt' of Blame for Cancellation

Gameplay did not look good at all
Somehow platinum took a great idea, placed Nero in it and made it look like an unappealing Platinum game.....I didn't even think that was possible yet somehow they did it.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
According to Platinum, there is blame on both sides. I see no reason for them to lie about it.

In any case, your refusal to answer a simple question with a yes or no has been noted.
I didn't realize this was the first grade lol.

I think Platinum were just trying to be nice because there's no real reason to start a beef with Microsoft even if they ended up having a bad working relationship.

My speculation is that, besides the culture clash, Platinum failed to live up to Microsoft's expectations but Microsoft wanted a AAA RPG with online co-op and they hired a company with little/no experience in building a AAA RPG with online co-op.

Keep in mind at the same time Microsoft allegedly didn't give the resources to the Phantom Dust devs, who have never made a AAA game before btw, to build a single-player campaign along with one of their execs lying about the game to the press (https://gearnuke.com/microsofts-ken-lobb-lied-phantom-dust-reboot-xbox-one-reveals-dev/) and made Lionhead build F2P game despite them also having no experience (sensing a theme here), rejected their much better sounding pitch for Fable 4, and shut down the studio and got a new dev to reboot the series into a new single player RPG which should've been the case all along. Microsoft's in a way better position now and they've been making some great moves lately but every other remnant of the early Xbox One was a shit show mostly because of the really poor management at the time so why is Scalebound the exception?

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine the meltdowns on era if they bought them lol

I don't think Microsoft x Platinum is a good thing. Platinum exclusive game on Xbox? For sure that's sort of par for the course for these guys. Scalebound not working out was unfortunate, but I'd prefer they find suitors for individual IP and not the company itself.

If they ever get purchased by anyone I would hope it is Nintendo.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I didn't realize this was the first grade lol.

I think Platinum were just trying to be nice because there's no real reason to start a beef with Microsoft even if they ended up having a bad working relationship.

My speculation is that, besides the culture clash, Platinum failed to live up to Microsoft's expectations but Microsoft wanted a AAA RPG with online co-op and they hired a company with little/no experience in building a AAA RPG with online co-op.

Keep in mind at the same time Microsoft allegedly didn't give the resources to the Phantom Dust devs, who have never made a AAA game before btw, to build a single-player campaign along with one of their execs lying about the game to the press (https://gearnuke.com/microsofts-ken-lobb-lied-phantom-dust-reboot-xbox-one-reveals-dev/) and made Lionhead build F2P game despite them also having no experience (sensing a theme here), rejected their much better sounding pitch for Fable 4, and shut down the studio and got a new dev to reboot the series into a new single player RPG which should've been the case all along. Microsoft's in a way better position now and they've been making some great moves lately but every other remnant of the early Xbox One was a shit show mostly because of the really poor management at the time so why is Scalebound the exception?

Well, the answer is because Platinum themselves indicated otherwise. You are free to not believe them but that does not mean your version is the truth.

Ananke

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 19, 2020
i don't think neither capcom or PG are interested in what you're proposing. secretly tho i'd love if that happened only because it makes okami 2 a slightly more likely thing.
Never experienced the first Okami, but I'd love to see Viewtiful Joe and would try an Okami 2.

Oct 26, 2017
United Kingdom
Shame it didn't happened, they could really use the budget.

And being a 1st party stuff like Scalebound needing more time/money wouldn't be as much as a problem as when you are contracted

Ugh... being bought by a first party is the very last thing Platinum Games needs.

Their games can sometimes be a little hit and miss, but it's much better they stay independent.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I would love to see a better funded Platinum Games, but it is hard to trust Microsoft with them after what happened with their previous collaboration...

Arta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Surprised Sony hasn't scooped them up. They need some good mid tier games and Platinum could use the budget.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. Microsoft is working to build a gaming system in the abstract sense. Device agnostic, pick up and play anywhere, sit down and watch streamers play any time, access your data or saves anywhere... And to kickstart this, they need content of high quality in high quantity, and they need seamless services that work well together with many system entry points. It's interesting to see them develop both of these things in parrelel. I feel like they're approaching this really well.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You shouldn't outright dismiss them either if they don't fit your narrative.
This isn't a conspiracy. Microsoft notably fucked up a lot during early Xbox One, including Scalebound and somehow they're mostly blameless?

No company, especially a small one like Platinum, is going to go "yeah Microsoft really fucked us over" and anyone pretending otherwise is being naive or acting like a tribalist.

Kasey

Nov 1, 2017
Boise
It's for the better. Platinum has been delivering great games for Nintendo and have multiplats in the pipeline. I want MS to get a Japanese studio for sure, but one like Grounding who already have a strong history with Xbox and who aren't associated with other consoles.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a conspiracy. Microsoft notably fucked up a lot during early Xbox One, including Scalebound and somehow they're mostly blameless?

No company, especially a small one like Platinum, is going to go "yeah Microsoft really fucked us over" and anyone pretending otherwise is being naive or acting like a tribalist.
No need to strawman. I never said it was a conspiracy. I agree to an extent that a PR statement doesn't necessarily tell the full picture. At the same time, you can't automatically disregard it either because it doesn't fit your narrative. If it was a regular Platinum sized game, then it was far likely MS's fault. However this game was by far Platinum's biggest and most ambitious game they ever worked on and agreed to things that MS was pressing for that made it even bigger and added more work load, which is probably the reason the game ultimately was in a poor state and canceled. It is likely it was both parties fault. Now who shares more of the blame will probably remain unknown. However it is noteworthy that MS has since drastically changed the way they manage studios and let studios have full creative control and make what they want to make.

Rocco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I see all the people saying thank god it didn't happen then see people happy that Sony may buy remedy. Wonder what the difference is ?

Yea. I also thought everyone owned a power PC anyway so it shouldn't matter who Microsoft aquires. They can just play all their games there, remember? "nO ReASoN tO buY N xBonE"

What gives?

dom

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So you're saying that a key reason Sony bought Insomniac is because Microsoft (and possibly other corporations like Facebook for instance) started sniffing around, and Sony began freaking out at the prospect of losing the developer for future Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank games and got out the checkbook as a result.
I doubt it. Sony was always looking to buy Insomniac but they were never interested on being bought. That eventually changed. Probably went to Sony when that happened.

ZannrebeI

Oct 24, 2018
I doubt it. Sony was always looking to buy Insomniac but they were never interested on being bought. That eventually changed. Probably went to Sony when that happened.
Probably not. Insomniac was very volcal about how they enjoyed their independence from being owned by a publisher. With spiderman being their most selling and successful title of all time, they were certainly not in a dire need to keep the lights on. Sony most likely opened up that check book to a very big offer. Most likely a response to the aqusition spree Microsoft has been on. Sony recently went on record of potentially buying more studios.

Oct 26, 2017
The person I was responding to was talking about playing platinum games on all consoles when that clearly isn't the case currently.
Unless a publisher backs them for a big multiplatform release, their releases will always be scattered across different platforms, which is still preferable to them being bought out by any of the Big 3

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I like Kamiya's games but him calling out MS and Nintendo about their marketing is kinda cringe. Yes, both of these companies have had and still do have issues with their marketing, but you make niche games bruh and aren't in a position to publish your own software. Stop the whining.
I'm kind of confused why people are happy about this other than that they don't like MS. We've heard from the devs MS has bought that they're basically being offered freedom and a blank cheque, which would be incredibly for Platinum. Also you'd get the games on gamepass and on PC guaranteed.
Console warriors dont care about developers unless they're supporting their platform of choice.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
I'm kind of confused why people are happy about this other than that they don't like MS. We've heard from the devs MS has bought that they're basically being offered freedom and a blank cheque, which would be incredibly for Platinum. Also you'd get the games on gamepass and on PC guaranteed.
Nintendo fans like having Platinum games on their console

It's really not that confusing

Jun 23, 2019
I like Kamiya's games but him calling out MS and Nintendo about their marketing is kinda cringe. Yes, both of these companies have had and still do have issues with their marketing, but you make niche games bruh and aren't in a position to publish your own software. Stop the whining.

Console warriors dont care about developers unless they're supporting their platform of choice.

Or maybe Platinum didn't want to be tied down to anyone and is now being backed by Tencent to self-publish as well as have multiplatform games? Maybe some people would like Platinum games to be everywhere instead of only on one platform? Y'all sound just as bad as the console warriors you're complaining about.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Kind of a silly point of confusion really. Firstly, being a first party studio doesn't necessarily mean they have a blank cheque to make whatever they want at whatever cost and development release schedule they want, contrary to what some continuously repeat on these forums. Even first party studios are going to have some checks, balances and limitations.

Secondly, there's nothing to suggest that under Tencent, Platinum won't or can't have a budget similar to what they might've had were they owned by a major platform or publisher instead.

Thirdly, and to answer your question or point of confusion, if they were owned by Microsoft it would mean both Nintendo and Sony system only owners would miss out on their games, so of course some would celebrate Microsoft not acquiring the studio. It's not like everyone out there who doesn't own an Xbox One owns or wants to build a gaming PC.

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling, History of Trolling
Or maybe Platinum didn't want to be tied down to anyone and is now being backed by Tencent to self-publish as well as have multiplatform games? Maybe some people would like Platinum games to be everywhere instead of only on one platform? Y'all sound just as bad as the console warriors you're complaining about.
Triggered.
You enjoy ur day breh..

Ravage

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can't think of a worse pairing than this. Seems like everyone avoided a disaster.