• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Savinowned

Oct 25, 2017
Nashville, TN
I like this, but all their forward compatibility talk with the Xbox One & Xbox One X a few years ago still makes me nervous. Will Halo Infinite run on an OG Xbox One? If so, that would be a massive gap in hardware capability between it and the fully powered Scarlett.

scitek

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah right. I highly doubt MS is making another console after how this generation turned out.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
Its for the best if Developers arent happy. Need to listen to them first. I can see Lockheart coming back in the form of a streaming box. That costs like $100 and maybe has some processing power in it.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
Great decision by MS, especially if what Brad was saying about devs developing for Lockhart and upscaling to Anaconda was true, because that sounded like complete basura

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Your total guess is not what actual developers who have worked with the early builds are saying, let's see, which outcome should I believe is more likely.

Did you also guess last gen that XB1 was going to be significantly less powerful for more money or was the idea you pulled from your butt that they would be about the same?

Early builds are early builds we are 18 months away from release. I feel like things will change several times.

About this gen I honestly don't remember I did not actually care about that part back then until after both reveled the official specs. MS had a different vision from Sony in terms of what a console should be. Now they have simillar approach and I think both will land close in the final products.

Also why so hostile?

I KILL PXLS

Oct 25, 2017
Makes sense. I assumed their solution to low latency streaming was to have the hardware do some of the processing locally and that Lockhart would have been the barebones version of that machine. That would make it relatively cheap (even compared to the S) since that's all it would do (and otherwise not run games natively). When they started talking about xCloud working on phones and stuff and nothing about local processing, I started wondering what the point of Lockhart was in that case.

Interesting that their strategy was to actually run games natively on it. Did they plan on it being significantly more powerful than the X? If not, what was the point when you also have the X and the S as lower end Xboxes? Either way, I can see why it would be scrapped.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Re-post: That's fantastic news. I was always against the idea of having two systems, one much weaker, due to the lowest common denominator being that much lower for the entirety of the gen. Here's hoping they both just launch one system and that the overall ceiling is therefore higher. At the end of the day, Sony and Microsoft can always appeal to the demographics that are worried about initial lump sum investment either through lower-tier streaming options, or long term monthly contract like packages for the console itself.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I always thought this. Felt that 2 consoles would dilute their power vs price messaging. The lukewarm reaction to the All Digital XB1 couldn't have helped either (if the weaker console was set to have no disc drive). It would also have potentially compromised the version for the stronger console.

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You just locked another earlier topic about this rumor and now say you knew yourself this was the case for a while now?

Because that thread was not from a reliable source.

The Business Insider interview was two days ago too. That was the original source.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
Best to give the market a proper next gen machine and focus on that.
Early adopters need to be confident that next gen games are going to be a true leap in tech and have the potential to keep getting better throughout the gen.

I think this is the correct decision by MS, as like everyone is saying, Lockhart is probably too low a benchmark to kick off with.

Andromeda

Oct 27, 2017
MS tested the waters with their usual controlled leaks. Most people and particularly devs didn't like the idea at all. Microsoft hear them and kill Lockhart using false reasons.

Simple. They'll probably try again next time though.

EDIT: the idea of a premium PS5 might have contributed to the decision.

Last edited:

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Brad said this:

"First, developers were having a harder than expected time creating next-generation games that spanned across two systems with various specs. As you might expect, developers were putting a focus on making games that would run well on the lower-end device first and then scaling them up to the higher-speced, Anaconda.

Keep in mind, it's easier to scale up than it is to scale down. Because of this, next-gen Xbox games would be at performance and visual disadvantage which is not what Microsoft would like to see as it starts to go head-to-head with the next generation PlayStation".

Such a bad idea, no wonder they canned it.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Even so, the Pro wasn't a substantial leap above the base PS4 and would have benefited if it released a year later like the X.

I personally don't subscribe to the need for a mid-gen console to be substantially more powerful than the baseline. What a mid-gen console needs to do is meet the upgrade requirement to complement the baseline console, since a mid-gen console will always be tethered to only having "better versions of what the baseline console can run"

In the case of last gen, Year 4 was the better choice because 4TF was not sufficient to meet the 4k potential, and Pro ended up being more of a 1440p console instead. Who knows when the right timing for next-gen is in regards to mid-gen potential.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
They have some leverage back in the 360 era where they managed to handicap all games to the size of a DVD, but they never had enough sway to do something like this.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
We may not get a mid-gen refresh next gen...wasn't the pro and X more so because of the emergence of 4k?

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
If this rumor is true, that's a good move by Microsoft. It was never clear what a lower spec SKU (Lockhart) would deliver that Xbox One S and Xbox One X don't already do, given that Microsoft is pushing cross-generational games.

Sony will launch PS5 and keep the PS4 as it's lower priced SKU. Microsoft can follow a similar strategy.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Makes perfect sense.

Splitting your userbase at the launch of a new generation just seems like a bad idea.

Barneystuta

Nov 4, 2017
It would be strange to have two different consoles at launch. The hardcore, those who buy day 1, will likely buy the higher end console.

Those that are more casual would be less likely to upgrade.

I like the idea of a mid gen refresh, like the One X and the PS4 Pro.

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
User Banned (1 day): Hostility
Early builds are early builds we are 18 months away from release. I feel like things will change several times.

About this gen I honestly don't remember I did not actually care about that part back then until after both reveled the official specs. MS had a different vision from Sony in terms of what a console should be. Now they have simillar approach and I think both will land close in the final products.

Also why so hostile?

Sorry you feel challenging your vapid ideas is automatically hostile. I don't post when I have nothing to write but mindless drivel that I'm not prepared to back up, guess that's just me.

Also Spencer literally just said that they don't even view Sony as their competition so "Now they have simillar approach and I think both will land close in the final products." is not based on anything put out there and you are again just posting what you want as if it's a logical conclusion when it's not.

PeskyToaster

Oct 27, 2017
Wait so what was project scarlett vs. anaconda vs. lockhart? Are project scarlett and anaconda the same device now or was that always the casE?

Oct 26, 2017
Virginia, US
I think it was a good decision on Microsoft to scrap the Lockhart in favor of just having the Scarlett at launch. It is still too early to tell which system will be more powerful between PS5 or Scarlett. Things can change between now to next year. I want to see concrete specs for each system before I make purchasing decision.

MaulerX

Oct 30, 2017
Hmmm... He talked about devs complaining about having to scale up from the weaker hardware. Wonder if that's where the PS5>Scarlett rumor came from?

Makes sense for MS to cancel it then. Make Scarlett the best it can be and let the XCloud and Gamepass for PC/current consoles be the entry point.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Sorry you feel challenging your vapid ideas is automatically hostile. I don't post when I have nothing to write but mindless drivel that I'm not prepared to back up, guess that's just me.

Also Spencer literally just said that they don't even view Sony as their competition so "Now they have simillar approach and I think both will land close in the final products." is not based on anything put out there and you are again just posting what you want as if it's a logical conclusion when it's not.
LOL Phil says a lot of things, he also said the X and Pro are different and doing CBR differently and not competing against each other (That was BS) Sony is clearly a direct competitor they fight for the same dollars and users... Easy to say that when you get outsold over 2:1.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the scale back Anaconda specs

I saw the duel console approach as a away for them to go extra premium with the higher end sku while offering a lower end one for everyone else.

One console that fits all will naturally have to be more price conscious

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting.

I wonder if Sony could pull a magic trick and launch PS5 with a lower price than Anaconda now that MS has cut out the "affordable" console.

Alandring

Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Switzerland
I really hope it isn't true. If it is, it's a bad decision for Microsoft, for consumers and for the industry.

A cheap next-gen console would have helped the adoption of next-gen by consumers. And everyone would have had the choice between a cheap, 1080p console (Xbox S), a nice point between price and performance (PlayStation 5) and a beast, sold at a premium price (Xbox X).

It's a bad day for the video game industry.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Good plan. As others have said, there was always the concern that Lockhart would hold back Scarlett.