• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Further, the evidence and insiders at the company acknowledged that there were two devices on the roadmap for Xbox; Lockhart and Anaconda. Even though the company has released one new console and has another planned, I firmly believe that at E3 2018, Phil was referring to two next-gen consoles on stage.

All this being said, Microsoft's current plan for its next-generation Xbox is to focus on Scarlett and all mentions of Lockhart, which was previously documented in several places, has now been scrubbed clean. The big question is what prompted the change in the strategy?

Talking with various people inside and outside of Microsoft, here is my best conclusion as to why the device was removed from the roadmap.

First, developers were having a harder than expected time creating next-generation games that spanned across two systems with various specs. As you might expect, developers were putting a focus on making games that would run well on the lower-end device first and then scaling them up to the higher-speced, Anaconda.

But that may not be the only reasons. The purpose of Lockhart was to make it easier to join the Xbox family with a console that was priced much lower than it's a bigger brother, Anaconda. With the progress made on xCloud and its ability to bring high quality, low latency gaming to any device, Lockhart started to become more of an obstacle for Microsoft.

Last edited:

rebelcrusader

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of two minds

The lower end console resolution wise but with a next gen cpu was an interesting idea

Of course most of Microsoft's interesting and industry changing ideas are ridiculed and end up being a negative to their sucess - so this is probably the best move

Danteyke223

Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I kinda feel PlayStation and gaming websites would have had a field day in bombing Microsoft's effort by shiting on the weaker console and just telling people go for the more straight forward choice

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This was the case for a while.

Was always confused by some of the original rumors.

Dec 11, 2017
Selfishly, I hope Lockhart is dead. I view it as a boat anchor that would limit the potential of PS5 and Anaconda games.

modiz

Oct 8, 2018
There it is.
This is for the better.
"As you might expect, developers were putting a focus on making games that would run well on the lower-end device first and then scaling them up to the higher-speced, Anaconda. " i remember many people tried to say the games would be downscaled to other consoles from anaconda, guess that it was a wrong assumption to make.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I expect that both PS5 and Scarlet will be super close spec and price wise to each other. The true difference will come from software.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Of two minds

The lower end console resolution wise but with a next gen cpu was an interesting idea

Of course most of Microsoft's interesting and industry changing ideas are ridiculed and end up being a negative to their sucess - so this is probably the best move
Prob cause those "Ideas" like the xbox one launch are not good. If something is of value to people it will be successful...simple as that. If it was truly industry changing in a good way they would be fine. If you try and "Force" stuff on the market that is not ready or doesn't want it, you get push back.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
I wrote a while ago why 2 sku is a bad strategy.
Spencer reads era confirmed.

First, developers were having a harder than expected time creating next-generation games that spanned across two systems with various specs.
But some people here told us it's not going to be a problem at all, look at pc versions, lol.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Imo, this is the best move initially for the Xbox brand to succeed next-gen. They could always introduce Lockhart further down the road once the Xbox One sales start to stop as another entry-level device.

Oct 27, 2017
Power of the cloud not powerful enough?

You don't say...

Local processing is where it's at for premier experience console gaming the foreseeable future

Oct 25, 2017
Good idea.

Lockhart was, and remains, a stupid idea. Especially if the pincer strategy many were proposing can't be implemented if PS5 turns out to be stronger.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Imo, this is the best move initially for the Xbox brand to succeed next-gen. They could always introduce Lockhart further down the road once the Xbox One sales start to stop as another entry-level device.

No.

With this, Scarlett/Anaconda is the entry level device. Whatever they introduce later should ideally be more powerful ( the X-equivalent of Scarlett) , and that Scarlett gets a price drop in year 2/3.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never expected it to have been anything else than some high level discussions and maybe some prototyping. It seemed like a foolhardy idea from the get go.

The original idea of a duo of a cheaper device and a more powerful device boxing in the PS5 wouldn't work with the PS5 being more powerful than the powerful box now.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
When it was rumored the lower spec model would be for 1080p I thought it would be outdated on arrival, glad they ditched it.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
My theory is that they're going to push xCloud (with all the new gen games, of course) in the Xbox One ecosystem and that would be their idea of "low cost, next-gen console".

"Play all the newest games on a Xbox One S, now only at 150$" is a pretty good selling point for xCloud.

Nov 30, 2017
I also thought it was a bad idea based on next gen baseline and bringing confusion to the market.

Better for everyone this way

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Good, focus on one now and on a mid-gen upgrade 3-4 years down the line.

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Brad said that developers would make games for Lockhart and then upscale it for Anaconda.....such a bad idea, glad Ms came to their senses.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
'First, developers were having a harder than expected time creating next-generation games that spanned across two systems with various specs. '

You may not want to believe this, but it's true.

SamWilson

Alt account
Banned
Mar 14, 2019
There's really no new info in this article at all.

It's just re-hashing what Digital Foundry and Business Insider already heard.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

Good, higher baseline is better long term.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
They wanted to release 2 sku, a powerful / expensive and a weak / cheap. Now, as they decided to release only the first one, the question is:
Does this somehow affected the power or price of anaconda ? Are they going to make it less powerfull / cheaper now, as they don't have a cheaper alternative no more ?

above average

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I expect that both PS5 and Scarlet will be super close spec and price wise to each other. The true difference will come from software.

Your total guess is not what actual developers who have worked with the early builds are saying, let's see, which outcome should I believe is more likely.

Did you also guess last gen that XB1 was going to be significantly less powerful for more money or was the idea you pulled from your butt that they would be about the same?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
No.

With this, Scarlett/Anaconda is the entry level device. Whatever they introduce later should ideally be more powerful ( the X-equivalent of Scarlett) , and that Scarlett gets a price drop in year 2/3.
2/3 years into the consoles lifespan is simply too soon to introduce a more powerful version. The Pro and X both came almost 4/5 into this generation. A reduced version at half the price of the Scarlett/PS5 would be a way for those reluctant/can't afford next gen hardware to at least move the baseline for games higher than it X1/Ps4.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
It was never gonna happen but it this kills the idea of anaconda being a truly premium console. Anaconda needs to be affordable now. Disappointed 😓

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
2/3 years into the consoles lifespan is simply too soon to introduce a more powerful version. The Pro and X both came almost 4/5 into this generation. A reduced version at half the price of the Scarlett/PS5 would be a way for those reluctant/can't afford next gen hardware to at least move the baseline for games higher than it X1/Ps4.

Pro was Year 3. X was Year 4.

Kolbe1894

Oct 25, 2017
They wanted to release 2 sku, a powerful / expensive and a weak / cheap. Now, as they decided to release only the first one, the question is:
Does this somehow affected the power or price of anaconda ? Are they going to make it less powerfull / cheaper now, as they don't have a cheaper alternative no more ?
Imo they will push XCloud for cheaper way to join Xbox so Anaconda won't be affected.

Oct 27, 2017
You should read first, XCloud is also a reason why Lockhart is canned.
I know what's going on, and that reason is a perfectly rational decision on their part. Handicapping half your base with weak hardware was not going to yield good results from the software development side.
For cheap entry into the ecosystem, game streaming is a simpler solution that won't handicap the more powerful hardware.

Deleted member 2379

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lockhart will be replaced by next gen games streaming at 1080p to all current Xbox One consoles. Simpler solution and then you can have next gen targeted games available to a massive audience immediately.

This also allows them to have next gen games on all consoles. Doesn't have to be local

This is what they should be doing.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this is true. That low-spec model would've been terrible for the continued growth of the Xbox ecosystem. xCloud can be used as the cheaper option, as long as it's upgraded as time goes by so it doesn't hold back the highend Xbox and PC.