• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kevinception

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 18, 2020
That's what doesn't add up to me. if that was the case, why even bother to stand up a Windows 10 infrastructure if those are already available as the Xbox version. It's a different license, sure, but if MS has the pull with third party publishers to make those PC licenses streamable, then why not just stick with the Xbox based infrastructure? The list of PC-only games currently available on the Windows store seems far to meager to make this worthwhile. Now, if it included the other storefronts, that's an entirely different ballgame...

Well, I the last article I read about pc streaming and XCloud, it was saying access to the "3000 Xbox one games as well as Windows released games on PC". I get that it's not everything, but it's a lot.

It remains to be seen what types of games/publisher support Stadia/Nvidia Go end up getting, tbh.

Maybe Microsoft is offering up their azure based xcloud for major publishers to use for their own services? Maybe that's why they are removing themselves from other cloud streaming service providers and how you will get such games technically through XCloud?

senpai

Oct 28, 2017
I have some games on pc and i stream them to my console to play...

Why i dont play them just on my pc? I can easily connect to tv if i want and play with zero latency or artifactless

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
Probably a local streaming solution like Steam link tbh.

Edit: here is the text based version of that video:

There are also other features coming to the service that have not yet been released, such as streaming PC games using xCloud. While the details are still a bit thin, people familiar with the company's plans state that it looks like the next step for xCloud will offer a solution similar to that of what Nvidia recently launched, GeForce Now. We have seen a similar feature where you can stream games from your Xbox console to another device, PC gamers will soon be able to do the same.
www.thurrott.com

First Ring Daily 777: Streaming SWAT

On this episode of First Ring Daily, Paul is going on the road, Xbox is going to be streaming, and Microsoft's earnings are in jeopardy.

Yeah I'm gonna guess this is just a built in way to stream your games from your own windows 10 pc to other devices. Like you can do with your xbox hardware today. Not them hosting your games in their servers.

While Brad does get a lot of scoops, he does get confused a lot in terms of gaming. Him and Paul aren't the most knowledgeable when it comes to the games industry. I think this is a case of him misinterpreting the info. (or we are misunderstanding what he is actually saying).

They did actually announce Project xCloud coming to Windows 10 awhile back though. I think that will just be console games streamed to your pc. In time they will probably get to the point where the console versions are good enough so it won't be too much of a difference. (will have mouse input most likely since the console supports it).

But if its actually them hosting pc games in the cloud, that would certainly be cool. But I doubt it. From all we have heard, Project xCloud is using Xbox Hardware not PCs.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
As awesome as this is, I'm still waiting to see what Valve has up their sleeve, because if Valve can deliver on streaming for all the games on steam, I think I'd take that over services that have a lot of titles, but not everything, I would particularly be interested in playing.

That would be great, but publishers don't support GeForce Now. Why support Valve?

tusharngf

Oct 29, 2017
Lordran
Crazy how Microsoft is making all the right moves after last gen, I suppose that's the difference between having someone good in charge does. Depending on Sony I might actually pick Xbox to go with next gen, they need to prove they still got their hand on the ball and won't blow the PS4 lead.
2843748-7788013842-iXg73.gif

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
As awesome as this is, I'm still waiting to see what Valve has up their sleeve, because if Valve can deliver on streaming for all the games on steam, I think I'd take that over services that have a lot of titles, but not everything, I would particularly be interested in playing.

Valve's network streaming is already awesome - so I have high hopes.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I think Brad is confused on what Gforce Now is offering. What he is describing seems to be more on the vein of SteamLink or Moonlight. You play the game on your PC and through the cloud it can go to any device.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Now you're getting me scared... Can publishers pull their games from Steam?
Of course they can. How is that a question?
What is this? Of course they can.
Games that are delisted from Steam are still downloadable and playable as long as you aquired the license before it was removed from sale. In fact, if you're able to obtain a valid key you can activate a delisted game even years later. It's not really comparable to what's going on with GeForce Now.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Games that are delisted from Steam are still downloadable and playable as long as you aquired the license before it was removed from sale. In fact, if you're able to obtain a valid key you can activate a delisted game even years later. It's not really comparable to what's going on with GeForce Now.
Ahhh, I thought they were talking about the store front...which of course publishers can.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...obviously. Guy asked if pubs could pull stuff from Steam though.

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
...obviously. Guy asked if pubs could pull stuff from Steam though.

In the context of what's going on with GeForce Now, which is about losing access to games you already have a license for. Obviously not apples-to-oranges since Nvidia isn't the actual platform holder there. If Valve had a theoretical streaming service of their own, it seems plausible that games could come and go from that at a publisher's whim (depending on what their agreement with Valve to list the games in the first place actually is), but pulling a game from a value ad streaming service isn't the same as revoking your license entirely.

kadotsu

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how publishers would have any say if MS just rented out Windows 10 instances.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the context of what's going on with GeForce Now, which is about losing access to games you already have a license for. Obviously not apples-to-oranges since Nvidia isn't the actual platform holder there. If Valve had a theoretical streaming service of their own, it seems plausible that games could come and go from that at a publisher's whim (depending on what their agreement with Valve to list the games in the first place actually is), but pulling a game from a value ad streaming service isn't the same as revoking your license entirely.
Yeah I'm just not seeing where revoking license came into discussion. Guys asked if pubs could pull stuff from Steam. Of course they can. And of course you can still download them if you bought prior to the pull. This is all widely known common sense information, I don't know what your point is.

AshenOne

Feb 21, 2018
Pakistan
That would be great, but publishers don't support GeForce Now. Why support Valve?
Unlike GeForce Now which is a new service, Valve's Steam has majority of the people who like to play AAA paid games. You can't leave the storefront which has majority of the audience that buys and plays the games they make and have been doing so for a decade. Would they dare to pull out games people already own on a juggernaut like steam? Obviously valve would've told these publishers that they'll be making a cloud gaming service beforehand and add in their EULA or addendum w/e that these games will be cloud streamed also, the ones these publishers decide to put on steam.

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Hmmm, any chance this is why Activision and Bethesda pulled out of GEFN? Maybe they have a deal with MS in the works. Possibly will announce it all at E3. Phil gonna be smiling ear to ear on stage. This would be amazing! Hope it is true.

Governergrimm

Jun 25, 2019
Crazy how Microsoft is making all the right moves after last gen, I suppose that's the difference between having someone good in charge does. Depending on Sony I might actually pick Xbox to go with next gen, they need to prove they still got their hand on the ball and won't blow the PS4 lead.
It helps tremendously that the entire leadership at Microsoft is pushing to be device agnostic. They make their own hardware (that's usually great) but don't restrict their garden save for places that don't allow their ecosystem. It's not just an Xbox shift but the entire company has shifted focus.

I don't know what Sony is doing but I doubt they will blow their lead. I'm not really invested in their ecosystem though so their silence is curious more than anything else.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Unlike GeForce Now which is a new service, Valve's Steam has majority of the people who like to play AAA paid games. You can't leave the storefront which has majority of the audience that buys and plays the games they make and have been doing so for a decade. Would they dare to pull out games people already own on a juggernaut like steam? Obviously valve would've told these publishers that they'll be making a cloud gaming service beforehand and add in their EULA or addendum w/e that these games will be cloud streamed also, the ones these publishers decide to put on steam.

What? There's no chance this has happened, none.

Vintage

Oct 27, 2017
Europe
Make it work like Steam Link, so I can locally stream from my PC in the next room to my living room, then I'll buy.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully MS could have the clout to tell the likes of Activision where to go when they try to block people from streaming games they already own from a virtual PC.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Oh so if he meant this then here is SteamDB digging out info on it.

At this point valve working on their own cloud gaming service is pretty much a no-brainer when they have the largest AAA library of PC versions natively.

This.

But it would be fun if Microsoft actually is creating something very similar to Geforce Now, with more publishers omboard. If not, Valve could always save us.

OP
OP
ThreepwoodMighty
Dec 14, 2019
Probably a local streaming solution like Steam link tbh.

Edit: here is the text based version of that video:

www.thurrott.com

First Ring Daily 777: Streaming SWAT

On this episode of First Ring Daily, Paul is going on the road, Xbox is going to be streaming, and Microsoft's earnings are in jeopardy.

Yeah I'm gonna guess this is just a built in way to stream your games from your own windows 10 pc to other devices. Like you can do with your xbox hardware today. Not them hosting your games in their servers.

While Brad does get a lot of scoops, he does get confused a lot in terms of gaming. Him and Paul aren't the most knowledgeable when it comes to the games industry. I think this is a case of him misinterpreting the info. (or we are misunderstanding what he is actually saying).

They did actually announce Project xCloud coming to Windows 10 awhile back though. I think that will just be console games streamed to your pc. In time they will probably get to the point where the console versions are good enough so it won't be too much of a difference. (will have mouse input most likely since the console supports it).

But if its actually them hosting pc games in the cloud, that would certainly be cool. But I doubt it. From all we have heard, Project xCloud is using Xbox Hardware not PCs.

Sucks if true. You can already do this trough Parsec, Moonlight, Steam Link, Rainaway, and so on.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Interesting. I think this was always rumored, so nice to get a little more info, even if it's not an actual confirmation.

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Wow, this could be potentially even bigger than Gamepass.
Basically almost every game on PC could be playable on Xbox consoles without extra effort from "PC-only" publishers (including PS4/5->PC ports?)

The day xCloud will come also to Switch, it will be GAME OVER.

Ales34

Apr 15, 2018
If that allows me stream my pc games with my mods, I'll be subscribing to it for sure. With GFN it's not possible.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
Thank you that sounds more reasonable. People have payed thousands of dollars for the games in their Steam library and there is no other way to play them so it would be brutal if games were pulled like on Geforce Now.