• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How so? I didn't know the twitter account owner here until this thread. Keeping it to the company's account would add an extra layer of anonymity.
The "controversy around harassment" started after the Twitter account was posted. Had the questions been asked to the user in question directly on here I dare say no one would have had any problem whatsoever.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Why does he say never coming but at the same time also says in the near term
Contradicts himself in the same sentence

It's either never coming on no terms or is coming but later term
He didn't say never. I thought he was clear. Near term it's not coming, but given Microsoft's drive to get this on as many devices as possible there may be a deal in the future.

Deleted member 1607

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You could just address me directly instead of going to my Twitter. This passive aggressive bullshit to avoid confrontation in this thread is annoying. Yes, MPT didn't happen at VGAs as I had teased. Immediately following the event, I posted a lengthy apology. CoD didn't happen in 2018. I had several contacts tell me it was, and they were very reliable in the past. Perhaps plans changed, I don't know.

As for this topic, I maintain my stance. Discussions and plans have taken place. JV, GameInformer and even WindowCentral have corroborated the report. Why people keep pinning this entire report solely on me when other credible outlets have reported on it via their own sources confuses me. Am I an easier target? Maybe. At the end of the day, it's about a fucking video game and a god damn toy.

Unfollowed: An insiders end

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I am unsurprised. I never bought into this. Too many parties involved, too much complexity with IPs. They can't even get game pass right on PC right now.

A time might come, but we are very much not there yet.

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
Did people think this was real? I was traveling, and only got a text from a friend saying it could happen, but he believes anything that says something is coming to Switch/WiiU/Wii/GameCube/N64 as long as I've known him.

I never thought it made much sense, let alone wasn't sure if it'd even be worth the effort to do.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Not surprising, although I was hopeful that something like this was the opening move on MS helping Nintendo with their online services.

weekev

Is this a test?
Oct 25, 2017
Asking a question is a big difference from harassing. If people don't know the difference between the two, then they probably should avoid any direct communication.
It annoys me when guys like you who are clearly genuine insiders get this level of abuse. People don't seem to understand that plans change. This is why often it takes ages to hear about games that are being worked on hence why Metroid prime 4 being announced was too early but I understand why they did it.

Please don't make it put you off announcing stuff in future.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
As for this topic, I maintain my stance. Discussions and plans have taken place. JV, GameInformer and even WindowCentral have corroborated the report. Why people keep pinning this entire report solely on me when other credible outlets have reported on it via their own sources confuses me. Am I an easier target? Maybe. At the end of the day, it's about a fucking video game and a god damn toy.
I didn't even know that you had any involvement on this, what did you post exactly (legit question, not trying to demean you)?

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
The "controversy around harassment" started after the Twitter account was posted. Had the questions been asked to the user in question directly on here I dare say no one would have had any problem whatsoever.

What difference would it make? wouldn't people reading this thread be able to link the twitter account to the user. Plus the rumor source was that account and not a post here.

Regardless, if we don't shine the spotlight and verify the info then we would still be posting leaks from people like Tidux and Verenedus. And it goes both ways, when the info turn out to be accurate, the insiders get a reliable rep like Jason or Shinobi. Off course, things could change and mistakes do happen so we got give leeway for people before discrediting them. But we can't bury our heads in the sand out of fear of harassment.

Oct 25, 2017
You could just address me directly instead of going to my Twitter. This passive aggressive bullshit to avoid confrontation in this thread is annoying. Yes, MPT didn't happen at VGAs as I had teased. Immediately following the event, I posted a lengthy apology. CoD didn't happen in 2018. I had several contacts tell me it was, and they were very reliable in the past. Perhaps plans changed, I don't know.

I'm not even addressing the actual claims or you directly. I get it, stuff changes. You don't have to be entirely accurate, etc. I'm simply addressing this nonsense around Jason posting a link.

This sounds like the usual argument that harassment online doesn't matter and all you have to do is log off.

No it doesn't. Don't equate that dumb shit with what I said.

And you can make a much larger point to that other than "hEy GUyS, WerE TheSe ThE SaME peOpLE ThaT WeRe WRonG LOL". There is no substance to the post other than they were wrong before and linking it. No "my sources tell me different" or anything to comment on the actual rumor, just they were wrong before. You can make a comment on their track record without coming off as conceited. A rumor could be wrong, never saw that coming, maybe dont make the only point of your post to shame someone. This isnt even so much about the rumor person in question as much as the etiquette around this sort of behavior. And again, multiple people in this thread have commented on that, its not a unique thought.

It's not a unique thought. It's a thought about etiquette in public Twitter link sharing that punts the entire issue of harassment to a singular focus as if the issue of harassment cannot be addressed in other more meaningful ways then the prevention of sharing a public Twitter account.

Like... actually read what you're saying and see how absurd it sounds. And if you honestly fucking believe what your saying, let's call the mods and implement some fucking rules of sharing Twitter links. Let's get that shit banned. You never know when someone might share it and another user go, "Oh didn't they get that one rumor wrong?" and it's all downhill from their.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
It annoys me when guys like you who are clearly genuine insiders get this level of abuse. People don't seem to understand that plans change. This is why often it takes ages to hear about games that are being worked on hence why Metroid prime 4 being announced was too early but I understand why they did it.

Please don't make it put you off announcing stuff in future.
This was a one time deal. I've said it before. I'm not teasing or sharing stuff. The Grinch Smash Bros. stuff soured me on it all. It isn't worth it.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What difference would it make? wouldn't people reading this thread be able to link the twitter account to the user. Plus the rumor source was that account and not a post here.

Regardless, if we don't shine the spotlight and verify the info then we would still be posting leaks from people like Tidux and Verenedus. And it goes both ways, when the info turn out to be accurate, the insiders get a reliable rep like Jason or Shinobi. Off course, things could change and mistakes do happen so we got give leeway for people before discrediting them. But we can't bury our heads in the sand out of fear of harassment.
I want people with shaky records to be highlighted. I said that. it would have been just as possible to say "the source in question has been known to have shaky information before". I think literally just saying "oh, this guy, this guy was wrong now and wrong before, look at this" and linking to his Twitter is going to set off an unintended snowball. Era posters are not the only ones who read Era threads, you know this.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Why does he say gamepass isnt coming but at the same time also says in the near term
Contradicts himself in the same sentence

It either isnt coming on no terms or is coming but later term
He's just saying it's something MS would want, so it might happen eventually, he's just been told by multiple sources that it's not happening.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I want people with shaky records to be highlighted. I said that. it would have been just as possible to say "the source in question has been known to have shaky information before". I think literally just saying "oh, this guy, this guy was wrong now and wrong before, look at this" and linking to his Twitter is going to set off an unintended snowball. Era posters are not the only ones who read Era threads, you know this.

Wouldn't saying "the source in question has been known to have shaky information before" will cause a bigger stir? more people will ask who was it until a user posts the source. And that statement feel more damning than asking a question if this was the source. Pointing out past info seems to be the better way of letting people make the judgement themselves than a respectful journalist like Jason calling them out as shaky.

I understand the internet mob mentality but I think keeping it under wraps would've caused people to be more curious and feel like something fishy is going on when in fact the Brad Sams stuff doesn't entirely contradict the other source info.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't saying "the source in question has been known to have shaky information before" will cause a bigger stir? more people will ask who was it until a user posts the source. And that statement feel more damning than asking a question if this was the source. Pointing out past info seems to be the better way of letting people make the judgement themselves than a respectful journalist like Jason calling them out as shaky.

I understand the internet mob mentality but I think keeping it under wraps would've caused people to be more curious and feel like something fishy is going on when in fact the Brad Sams stuff doesn't entirely contradict the other source info.
I'm not even saying it should be kept under wraps, people are well aware of the source and even Jason saying "people should have vetted the source" would be enough for them to make the connection. The issue, again, I feel is that by directly linking previous instances of where said source has been wrong, while discussing them being wrong in the here and now, while linking to them directly, is going to make it far too easy for some less than savory elements to go after them.
Again, zero issues with calling out people when they have been wrong. Big issue with enabling harassment, even if that was not the intention.

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a unique thought. It's a thought about etiquette in public Twitter link sharing that punts the entire issue of harassment to a singular focus as if the issue of harassment cannot be addressed in other more meaningful ways then the prevention of sharing a public Twitter account.

Like... actually read what you're saying and see how absurd it sounds. And if you honestly fucking believe what your saying, let's call the mods and implement some fucking rules of sharing Twitter links. Let's get that shit banned. You never know when someone might share it and another user go, "Oh didn't they get that one rumor wrong?" and it's all downhill from their.
I dont know what it is about context that eludes you

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Never understood this. I mean how exactly were these games going to run

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Man so much unnecessary hostility in this thread...You either believe it or don't and move on with your day... i dont get why people are so polarized between those two sides and find the need to fight.

cyklisten

Nov 12, 2017
Can somebody explain to me the apeal of gamepass? Does it differ wildly by region or something? I´ve seen a fair share of people praising it to heavens, but the selection as far as I can see (maybe just my country idk) is absolutely abysmal. A fraction of okay games, not great or anything, and then a lavine of garbage/mediocre filler. Not trying to dump on the thing. The concept sounds great for sure. Now I have to check if I´m just in an unlucky region for now.

Nov 1, 2017
Can somebody explain to me the apeal of gamepass? Does it differ wildly by region or something? I´ve seen a fair share of people praising it to heavens, but the selection as far as I can see (maybe just my country idk) is absolutely abysmal. A fraction of okay games, not great or anything, and then a lavine of garbage/mediocre filler. Not trying to dump on the thing. The concept sounds great for sure. Now I have to check if I´m just in an unlucky region for now.

Jesus, if you think Game Pass's current selection of games is abysmal then you have some fucked up high standards to satisfy. Or what is much more likely is you just want to shit on it for no reason. Tell me, have you played any of these so called garbage games to even form an opinion on them? No, i didn't think so. Get out of here with that nonsense.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you and Jason need to make up! :)
Ah, thanks for finding this - was about to respond but clearly this person is posting in bad faith.

Not sure anyone could think that it's "enabling harassment" to post Twitter links from someone who is clearly using their Twitter account in hopes of garnering attention as an insider -- someone who just posted a large rumor that's now being discussed all across the internet. This is not a private Twitter account; it's one that's linked to a YouTube channel that is ostensibly providing news to the public. When you are reporting news to the public, your track record becomes part of the public record. It's important to point out that this person has been wrong several times over the past year, and the only way to do so is to provide links to the places where that's happened. To argue that this is facilitating harassment is absurd. It's essential context for discussing this rumor. The argument that it's OK to discuss these tweets when we don't yet know if they're true but somehow it's not OK to discuss them once we know they're false is absolutely asinine.

RE: plans changing - I'm fairly confident that Call of Duty Black Ops 4 was never planned for Switch. I'm very confident that Metroid was never planned for The Game Awards in any capacity. This Pascal rumor turned out to be wrong, too. Again, I don't know for sure one way or another if GamePass on Switch is happening, but I'd be curious to see if DirectFeedGames or NateDrake have reported any rumors correctly so far.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus, if you think Game Pass's current selection of games is abysmal then you have some fucked up high standards to satisfy. Or what is much more likely is you just want to shit on it for no reason. Tell me, have you played any of these so called garbage games to even form an opinion on them? No, i didn't think so. Get out of here with that nonsense.
That's incredibly hostile considering the question. You didn't even think to ask for examples of what games are on the service in their country.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, thanks for finding this - was about to respond but clearly this person is posting in bad faith.

Not sure anyone could think that it's "enabling harassment" to post Twitter links from someone who is clearly using their Twitter account in hopes of garnering attention as an insider -- someone who just posted a large rumor that's now being discussed all across the internet. This is not a private Twitter account; it's one that's linked to a YouTube channel that is ostensibly providing news to the public. When you are reporting news to the public, your track record becomes part of the public record. It's important to point out that this person has been wrong several times over the past year, and the only way to do so is to provide links to the places where that's happened. To argue that this is facilitating harassment is absurd. It's essential context for discussing this rumor. The argument that it's OK to discuss these tweets when we don't yet know if they're true but somehow it's not OK to discuss them once we know they're false is absolutely asinine.

RE: plans changing - I'm fairly confident that Call of Duty Black Ops 4 was never planned for Switch. I'm very confident that Metroid was never planned for The Game Awards in any capacity. This Pascal rumor turned out to be wrong, too. Again, I don't know for sure one way or another if GamePass on Switch is happening, but I'd be curious to see if DirectFeedGames or NateDrake have reported any rumors correctly so far.
I did not post in bad faith, and I posted instances of me being complimentary towards you in this very thread and can post more if necessary. I have openly criticized you where I have disagreed with you and complimented you where I have appreciated your work. I'm sorry but I'm not just going to pretend to always agree with you. Disagreeing here or in some other instances (all cherrypicked and presented to you like that) doesn't make me posting in bad faith.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, this thread has developed into quite the war zone.

Rumors are fun to speculate about, but should always be taken with a grain of salt. Otherwise, as this thread shows, things can get unessisarily hostile.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I did not post in bad faith, and I posted instances of me being complimentary towards you in this very thread and can post more if necessary. I have openly criticized you where I have disagreed with you and complimented you where I have appreciated your work. I'm sorry but I'm not just going to pretend to always agree with you. Disagreeing here or in some other instances (all cherrypicked and presented to you like that) doesn't make me posting in bad faith.
OK, fair enough, but it's ridiculous to suggest that linking to a YouTube channel's old tweets would be facilitating harassment. Is it harassment when someone links to Kotaku tweets? Or mine? Of course not - it's an important part of the context surrounding any given news discussion. I'm honestly not sure how this is even a thing!

Don't get me wrong - I'm very sensitive to the way gamers can brigade people, having been on the other side of quite a few of those brigades over the years. But when you're reporting news, you become a public figure, and when you make it your business to share teases and scoops like this, your record should be and will be subject to scrutiny.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I'd be curious to see this too, rumours from Era insiders that have actually come to fruition. Not just Drake, but others too. Feels like there's a few so-called insiders on here that whenever they post something, people take it for gospel despite a shaky record.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OK, fair enough, but it's ridiculous to suggest that linking to a YouTube channel's old tweets would be facilitating harassment. Is it harassment when someone links to Kotaku tweets? Or mine? Of course not - it's an important part of the context surrounding any given news discussion. I'm honestly not sure how this is even a thing!

Don't get me wrong - I'm very sensitive to the way gamers can brigade people, having been on the other side of quite a few of those brigades over the years. But when you're reporting news, you become a public figure, and when you make it your business to share teases and scoops like this, your record should be and will be subject to scrutiny.
The thing is, I agree with you that someone's record should be up for scrutiny! I even said as much lol. If the source in question has made inaccurate reports before, that is absolutely a consideration when assessing anything new they might say. And I appreciate that you are trying to keep the veracity of the source clear. My issue with not with that. My issue is more with how it was done. I feel like simply saying "the source should have been double checked, owing to some shaky predictions made in the past" would have been better than linking outright to the Twitter; I differentiate between linking to their Twitter and Kotaku's, because DFG is one person, so this is harassment being thrown in the way of one person's (presumably) personal account. If someone had linked to your account because something you reported on hadn't happened as reported (which to be fair is exceptionally rare), I would have taken issue with that as well.

Again, I know you didn't intend any harassment, and you know what, maybe I am overreacting too. But I am explaining why I said what I said and why I feel what I feel.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I think a lot of these rumours just point to how much readers need to pay attention to who magically has 'sources' once other places have 'broken news' that later turns out to be false. An awful lot of sites immediately 'verify' insider leaks using 'sources' of their own, and each site that does so ends up being further 'proof' for some other site to run their own story about their 'source' and what info they got. Once three or four sites have 'verified' the info using their 'insider' then *poof* it's 'legit' and waaaaay too many people treat it as such.

Yeah, sometimes if you're leaking things like the plans for a PR reveal, plans change. Especially if their reveal gets spoiled and they feel the need to try and get it back on track another way, another time...but that's not most of these leaks. There's too many straight up 'tales from the ass' being peddled as top flight intel that nobody else has being picked up by multiple sites as legit.

But this is really back to the 'I'm just a blogger' defense stage, where people started defending a total lack of journalistic standards in their work by just shrugging it off because they weren't 'journalists' in their own eyes.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Being confidant and having proof are 2 different things, I will give DirectFeedGames the benefit of the doubt unless until something is confimed.

Nov 1, 2017
That's incredibly hostile considering the question. You didn't even think to ask for examples of what games are on the service in their country.

I would consider using terms like "garbage/mediocre filler" to describe games this person has never played that the people involved may have put blood, sweat and tears into creating way more hostile than me calling them out for it. Shitty post gets a shitty response, what can i say. I'd wager this ckylisten person has never created anything that they then put out there in the world for people to enjoy because if they had maybe they wouldn't be so hasty to trash something they have never even tried. This is of course ignoring the fact that among these so called garbage/filler games Game Pass has some of the finest examples of games in their respective genres.

Now correct me i'm wrong but i don't think there are any regional differences in the Game Pass selection, the countries it is available in all have the same library of games. I've never seen a single Game Pass game get announced with any caveat or small print disclaimer saying this game is not available in region X. I'm not gonna sit here and list the huge amount of fantastic games on there and derail the thread but if people are gonna talk shit they shouldn't be surprised to get called out for it.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
So talks did take place and Microsoft wanted gamepass on switch, Nintendo looked into it and decided against it?
We have no real way to know. That could be a possibility though or even just something like a test to see if it's actually possible, that someone saw and thought it meant something was happening.
All we really know is it's probably something MS have or will explore, as they want Xcloud on everything if possible, so Brad isn't saying it definitely won't happen, just none of his sources confirmed it's happening.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

I never stated it was Black Ops 4 because I was never told it was Black Ops 4. Simple a CoD. I don't share much on Twitter in way of rumors. I may make mention of things on ERA here and there that don't get attention because it is expanding on other topics -- be it Direct timing, software for the year, and dismissing misleasing rumors. Not everything gets documented.

Here's an accurate rumor for you: https://twitter.com/directfeedgames/status/824356697674280961?lang=en

Are you also curious if Windows Central or JeuxVideo have accurately reported things in the past? They heard very similar things about GamePass and Switch, but you seem to conveniently omit their contributions and seemed focused solely on me.

I didn't even know that you had any involvement on this, what did you post exactly (legit question, not trying to demean you)?

I'm Direct-Feed.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I think a lot of these rumours just point to how much readers need to pay attention to who magically has 'sources' once other places have 'broken news' that later turns out to be false. An awful lot of sites immediately 'verify' insider leaks using 'sources' of their own, and each site that does so ends up being further 'proof' for some other site to run their own story about their 'source' and what info they got. Once three or four sites have 'verified' the info using their 'insider' then *poof* it's 'legit' and waaaaay too many people treat it as such.

Yeah, sometimes if you're leaking things like the plans for a PR reveal, plans change. Especially if their reveal gets spoiled and they feel the need to try and get it back on track another way, another time...but that's not most of these leaks. There's too many straight up 'tales from the ass' being peddled as top flight intel that nobody else has being picked up by multiple sites as legit.

But this is really back to the 'I'm just a blogger' defense stage, where people started defending a total lack of journalistic standards in their work by just shrugging it off because they weren't 'journalists' in their own eyes.
Good post, totally agree. Too many people jumping on the bandwagon.

SuperL

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
When was the last time insiders were right? Debunking the Grinch leak? That seems more like a broken clock sort of deal (and Vergeben gave it away beforehand anyway).