• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
They won't announce it until MS's acquisition of Nintendo is approved.

*World melts.

Windu

Oct 25, 2017
No, that's why I ask: can you prove the bolded?
well for one, he revealed Halo "Infinity" before E3. he has a good track record and works for people that also have good track records. I have been following Paul Thurrott for more than a decade and Brad Sams for years. Sams is a trustworthy source of Microsoft information.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
This is nonsense. When you make videos with titles like "Report: Microsoft Preparing Xbox App & GamePass for Nintendo Switch" that get tens of thousands of views, you are a reporter, and it's perfectly fair for anyone -- especially other reporters -- to scrutinize and publicize your track record. Whenever a reporter spreads false information, it can do harm, and it needs to be called out accordingly. I very much include myself there, and when I get something wrong, I try to correct the record as transparently as possible. I hope that other people will also call me out when I fuck up, because that's the only way to ensure that the truth comes out.

It happens that I've also been paying a lot of attention to ResetEra insider circles for the past few months, and I've noticed some trends of rumors all getting passed around the same circles and rarely turning out to be true, so this strikes me as a trend that's absolutely worth discussing.

I agree with this although for my personal take on the whole thing...

The biggest problem is that Era clearly doesn't have enough restrictions on rumors and insiders and every time these crazy rumors turn out to be bullshit like they very often have been, nothing changes. There needs to be a serious crackdown on what rumors are allowed here and insiders need to be vetted a lot more before anything they say can be actually used to create a thread on whatever rumor they know about. While the false rumor did certainly pop up on the old site it was moderated a lot more harshly and insiders and rumors were put under a hell of a lot more scrutiny then they are here and because of that it didn't happen anywhere near as much as it seems to happen here.

I mean for this whole thing remember how this started? It was that Nintendo was reviving a dead IP. Then a day or two later it wasn't just a dead IP, it was the dead Microsoft IP Scalebound! Then a day or two after that it was that Microsoft and Nintendo were working together and Gamepass was coming to Switch!

I mean come the fuck on, the story literally changed 3 times in less then a week and we had more then half a dozen threads on these things and hundreds of people believed this nonsense and tbh I feel like the staff just lets insanity with rumors run amuck with little to no interest in controlling these crazy stories no matter where they come from our how outlandish they seem. How many times do we have to see insiders get it wrong before the staff decides it might be a good time to crack down on this shit?

Having the site constantly fall for these rumors time and again makes the site look like a joke and I feel like a joke for being a member here at times when people are so obviously being deceived and the staff just doesn't seem to give a shit. Yeah sure personal responsibility and all that but some vetting on a site with as many members as this site has does should be an obvious thing. It would be one thing if this was just a recent thing but its plagued Era from the beginning with rumors about Mother 3, or various NX/Switch rumors, or Smash rumors, or Zelda rumors, or to be more specific... The Star Fox Grand Prix rumors, the various Metroid Prime 4 rumors including it showing up at the Game Awards, Pokemon Stars, ect. It is a constant and never ending thing and for every 1 thing that turns out to be true theres at least 20 things that turn out to be complete and utter bullshit.

It gives the site a poor reputation and I think more needs to be done.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Personally I wish all insider talk was banned from the forum, but we're already seeing in this thread the depths to which people will protect their friends. Video game discussion, I suppose.

100 percent this. Frankly it's embarrassing to be lacking in character and integrity that it has to be spelled out.

Regardless, there are so many good games coming out nowadays, this fuss doesn't really matter much. Just keep taking all this talk with a grain of salt.
Who is lacking character or integrity?

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
No, that's why I ask: can you prove the bolded?
Maybe you should do your own research... I'm not going to, to answer your question. Asking me to prove that is stupid for someone is who very well known in Microsoft reporting circles just because you don't know them. Only people on this site would question his track record because of the bubble of gaming they stay in.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Out of curiosity, does anyone actually still believe Star Fox GP is real?

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
What your saying makes zero sense especially the MCC being ported.

How it does? Ori is a 100% Microsoft franchise, similar to Halo or Gears. Out of all it's kinda weird that MS chose Ori to port Switch first. Maybe because it's cheap to port? But Banjo 1&2 HD ports would have been cheaper and exactly what Switch owners would want. There has to be more.

MCC is as possible as others, all four games are basically Xbox 360 games. If MS starts porting things to Switch with Ori, I think MCC would be good candidate, especially demonstrating Cross console online multiplayer through XBL.

Not only that 343 has announced that they will have an "exciting announcement" regarding MCC at SXSW, could be something involves Switch. Or not.

Deleted member 3897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you should do your own research... I'm not going to, to answer your question. Asking me to prove that is stupid for someone is who very well known in Microsoft reporting circles just because you don't know them. Only people on this site would question his track record because of the bubble of gaming they stay in.

I asked you, not myself. It's up to you. If you won't, that's fine, but that makes me only question your claim.

zedox

Oct 28, 2017
That does not back up the veracity of your bolded claim. It just indicates that you followed someone.
Yea, it doesn't back up my "claim" but I still stand by it. Like I said, I don't have time to post the many articles over the years to "backup my claim". Yea, it indicated that I followed him and have personally seen the numerous times he has been right with his information (and wrong sometimes because of things changing). But at least I actually know the person to even make such a claim than a person who doesn't know him as closely but wants some type of "proof" for what type of validation?

I asked you, not myself. It's up to you. If you won't, that's fine, but that makes me only question your claim.
That's fine, you can question my claim all you want...I question your motives for asking for proof? The point? If I gave you the "reciepts" what would you do with it? Most likely nothing but a "oh okay"...but whatever. I still stand by my words.

Deleted member 40133

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Board rooms, in all facets of the industry discuss and even negotiate absolute crazy shit that no one would believe all the time, where nothing ever comes of it. I wonder if we basically just got wind of one of those discussions

jrDev

Banned
Mar 2, 2018
So who do we believe? One guy saying it's not happening or the multitude of other places that have rumors up?

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I thought Liam "Splatoon 2 doesn't exist" Robertson was still firmly onboard the Star Fox GP train.
Yeah he is.
He says that it at least existed. But he also said "some people at Kotaku or IGN even know more about it than me" but then Jason Schreier said that his source that told him about Star Fox GP now think it never existed, and that even then, last year, it was just "Retro Studios might work on a Star Fox racing game" and that's it, even at the time when everyone was believing it, he wasn't so sure about it because it seems that no concrete infos leak from Retro Studios, he's been trying to know what Retro has been doing for the 5 last years but he's had trouble so far.

Liam Robertson actually seem to be, with Vergeben (and maybe Peer Schneider ? He talked about how his source told him the game was really beautiful) the people that had the most infos about this rumor. They were the ones who talked the most about it. Might explain why he don't want to stop believing in it.

Last edited:

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How it does? Ori is a 100% Microsoft franchise, similar to Halo or Gears. Out of all it's kinda weird that MS chose Ori to port Switch first. Maybe because it's cheap to port? But Banjo 1&2 HD ports would have been cheaper and exactly what Switch owners would want. There has to be more.

MCC is as possible as others, all four games are basically Xbox 360 games. If MS starts porting things to Switch with Ori, I think MCC would be good candidate, especially demonstrating Cross console online multiplayer through XBL.

Not only that 343 has announced that they will have an "exciting announcement" regarding MCC at SXSW, could be something involves Switch. Or not.
One's a recent and active franchise that has a sequel on the way, while the other is an old and dormant (possibly dead?) franchise. I see Banjo being ported either if Switch get it's own version of Rare Replay or if MS remakes Banjo 1 & 2 a la Crash and Spyro and they can reitroduce Banjo with updated modern visuals and control.

I just don't see games like Halo and Gears getting native ports to Switch but being accessible in the future through xCloud.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
One's a recent and active franchise that has a sequel on the way, while the other is an old and dormant (possibly dead?) franchise. I see Banjo being ported either if Switch get it's own version of Rare Replay or if MS remakes Banjo 1 & 2 a la Crash and Spyro and they can reitroduce Banjo with updated modern visuals and control.

I just don't see games like Halo and Gears getting native ports to Switch but being accessible in the future through xCloud.

Halo MCC games are basically Xbox 360 games, Switch won't have hard time running them. We'll see what will happen, what MS will actually bring to Switch but I think Halo has a chance.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
One's a recent and active franchise that has a sequel on the way

Exactly, with Moon Studios actively working on Ori they could have pitched MIcrosoft on the port ala Remedy with Alan Wake on Steam. Ori also runs on an engine with a pipeline already in place for Switch ports and advancements in Unity since 2015 (along with the game originally planned to come to the 360) gives me confidence a port could be very feasible. Cracking open MCC again to cram it back down to spec/size on the Switch—while an exciting idea with them being 360 games—seems way too big a project, from what we have rumored from MIcrosoft so far, comparatively.

But if Ori is being recompiled already for Switch I hope Moon Studios takes some time to implement X enhancements for the existing console version.

Last edited:

Knight613

Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
This whole Nintendo needs xCloud for AAA stuff next gen narrative is so weird.

We already know Ubisoft and EA are both working on their own streaming stuff. We know Google is going to be working on their own streaming thing. They could easily work out a deal with Nintendo for AAA games.

Microsoft needs Nintendo for Game Pass/xCloud more than Nintendo needs Microsoft.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
I get a feeling that someone in Microsoft's R&D were using streamed Game Pass games on Switch SDKs just to see if they can (or to just generally test Game Pass' streaming capabilities), and someone internally saw it as a gospel and spread the "news".

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Halo MCC games are basically Xbox 360 games, Switch won't have hard time running them. We'll see what will happen, what MS will actually bring to Switch but I think Halo has a chance.
I'm not questioning the capability of the Switch but it's easy to see how MS can see how a cute mascot 2d platformer in Ori would be a good fit for Switch.

daniel77733

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never expected Game Pass itself to go on Switch but I am expecting a few Microsoft published games to go on Switch. Ori 1 and 2, Cuphead and eventually Battletoads would be my guess.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I just want to point out that while the focus has been on Direct Feed Game's reporting, people are grouping multiple rumors into one. I think NateDrake only said that Gamepass was in the works but didn't say when. Then Iram Khan of Gameinformer, who is a member here, wrote an article in response to Nate's report. In that article, he said he spoke to some of his sources and he was told that Gamepass might show up as soon as this year.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...ging-game-pass-and-published-titles-to-switch

"In talking with our own sources, it has been suggested that the announcement of Game Pass on Switch could come as soon as this year"

Then Jeuxvideo posted their own report which gave a lot more details that was originally in Drake's reporting. Such as the potential of a big MS franchise being released on Switch.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...cient-des-jeux-xbox-debarquent-sur-switch.htm

That's when the rumor really blew up.

So Nate's report doesn't exist in a vacuum. The rumor was boosted with the reporting from two major news outlets who claim that they have their own sources that both are consistent with and even add to Drake's rumor.

At this point I really don't know if Gamepass is coming to the Switch or not. We have multiple sources from big game press sites and smaller channels that are on either side. Was does seem likely to everyone is that Microsoft and Nintendo are working on something but to what extent it's really hard to say. I think for many, who is right and who is wrong ultimately doesn't matter. They're just going to believe whoever supports what you think. But at this point for myself, I haven't seen enough from anybody. Until we get something concrete I am not going to take Drake, Imran, Jason, or whoever as gospel. But I do think that rumor is worth discussing simply because it's really interesting and the ramifications would be significant if they turn out to be true.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not questioning the capability of the Switch but it's easy to see how MS can see how a cute mascot 2d platformer in Ori would be a good fit for Switch.

Moon Studios being independent could factor into port reasoning too. We know they worked out a deal with MS recently for Will of the Wisps to come to Game Pass, and since we're speculating already, perhaps getting the greenlight to port the first game to Switch was a part of that. That income may be small for Microsoft but it could be huge for Moon Studios.

Last edited:

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Isn't xCloud not even ready for phones and tablets yet? Not a surprise if it is still ways off for the Switch.

I'd be surprised if Gamepass isn't a part of xCloud too. There's no way MS will be selling individual titles on phones and tablets. I think that the only question is whether Nintendo allows it on the Switch or not.

Framing this whole thing like some kind of Nintendo + MS partnership has always looked really dumb for me. IMO, this has always been an MS initiative.

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
This couldn't possibly be more out of touch. Ori and Cuphead would be the new hotness that people nowadays want, not some ancient game and its mediocre sequel

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The Master Chief Collection is like 100 GB, that game isn't being ported

I'd buy them all if MS pull a stunt like Capcom and release the games separately and price each one $30. It's freaking Halo on the go, how could I not?

Plus, they would definitely compress the games if it's on the way. Spyro Collection is also rumored to come to Switch and it's 75gb. All four standard Xbox 360 Halo games are much less than 100gb in total, a talented porting studio would definitely work some magic.

This couldn't possibly be more out of touch. Ori and Cuphead would be the new hotness that people nowadays want, not some ancient game and its mediocre sequel

Banjo literally topped every Smash Ultimate fan poll. There are lots of people who want Banjo back on a Nintendo console. The bear is definitely hotter than that Ori thing (but not Cuphead. That game is crazy popular, even got its own Funko Pop)

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It wouldn't be surprising if Microsoft didn't want to release something rather untested and new broadly anytime soon when they want a good first impression.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

I mean, Final Fantasy IX is currently the highest selling game on the Switch eShop. I'm sure a lot of people would be excited about having Banjo-Kazooie back on a Nintendo console, myself included.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Moon Studios being independent could factor into port reasoning too. We know they worked out a deal with MS recently for Will of the Wisps to come to Game Pass, and since we're speculating already, perhaps getting the greenlight to port the first game to Switch was a part of that. That income may be small for Microsoft but it could be huge for Moon Studios.
Well MS also owns the IP and with their future of Xbox being a platform and not just a console, I can see MS see the potential of growth for an IP like Ori on a Nintendo system.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Well MS also owns the IP and with their future of Xbox being a platform and not just a console, I can see MS see the potential of growth for an IP like Ori on a Nintendo system.

Oh, for sure it'd be good for the IP in general. I just mean that there could be a lot of reasons why this port could have come together.

It'll be interesting to see for sure!

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
Out of curiosity, does anyone actually still believe Star Fox GP is real?

No.

There were a lot of good points towards it not existing in this thread
https://www.resetera.com/threads/theory-starfox-grand-prix-never-existed.99662/page-16

For me, the existence of a racing mode in Starlink basically killed any chance of the game existing. Nintendo wouldn't have signed that off if GP existed. Seems to me that the insiders defending its existence were simply misled or fed bad info.

JayBee

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 6, 2018
Tbh it never made sense for me, so much that I didn't believe it so we'll see

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
No.

There were a lot of good points towards it not existing in this thread
https://www.resetera.com/threads/theory-starfox-grand-prix-never-existed.99662/page-16

For me, the existence of a racing mode in Starlink basically killed any chance of the game existing. Nintendo wouldn't have signed that off if GP existed. Seems to me that the insiders defending its existence were simply misled or fed bad info.

I just ask because I was in that thread and I remember a lot of back and forth and people going "trust the insiders!" even though we've been hearing chatter about this supposed game existing for at least a year with nothing to show for it. Retro is known for being very good at not leaking as well. I personally think it's fake, but I remember a lot of defense for its existence even after the last Direct. Now it seems like that's mostly died down.

Personally I don't know where to stand on this Microsoft rumor. I'll wait for further information.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I just want to point out that while the focus has been on Direct Feed Game's reporting, people are grouping multiple rumors into one. I think NateDrake only said that Gamepass was in the works but didn't say when. Then Iram Khan of Gameinformer, who is a member here, wrote an article in response to Nate's report. In that article, he said he spoke to some of his sources and he was told that Gamepass might show up as soon as this year.

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/0...ging-game-pass-and-published-titles-to-switch

"In talking with our own sources, it has been suggested that the announcement of Game Pass on Switch could come as soon as this year"

Then Jeuxvideo posted their own report which gave a lot more details that was originally in Drake's reporting. Such as the potential of a big MS franchise being released on Switch.

http://www.jeuxvideo.com/news/10065...cient-des-jeux-xbox-debarquent-sur-switch.htm

That's when the rumor really blew up.

So Nate's report doesn't exist in a vacuum. The rumor was boosted with the reporting from two major news outlets who claim that they have their own sources that both are consistent with and even add to Drake's rumor.

At this point I really don't know if Gamepass is coming to the Switch or not. We have multiple sources from big game press sites and smaller channels that are on either side. Was does seem likely to everyone is that Microsoft and Nintendo are working on something but to what extent it's really hard to say. I think for many, who is right and who is wrong ultimately doesn't matter. They're just going to believe whoever supports what you think. But at this point for myself, I haven't seen enough from anybody. Until we get something concrete I am not going to take Drake, Imran, Jason, or whoever as gospel. But I do think that rumor is worth discussing simply because it's really interesting and the ramifications would be significant if they turn out to be true.
This is why the sudden dismissal is puzzling

Deleted member 47318

Banned
Sep 1, 2018
Banjo literally topped every Smash Ultimate fan poll. There are lots of people who want Banjo back on a Nintendo console. The bear is definitely hotter than that Ori thing (but not Cuphead. That game is crazy popular, even got its own Funko Pop)
Smash != the wider Switch audience

A decent part of the Smash audience are those who view it as a tribute to the videogame history they've been a part. Them wanting Banjo in is only natural. But that does that mean Banjo games are gonna sell to a new audience here.

I'd be willing to bet that the amount of people who want Ori and Cuphead to begin with, in addition to those who want these modern classics portable, is significantly larger than those pining for Banjo. That being said,I would absolutely love a modern Banjo remake.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
It happens that I've also been paying a lot of attention to ResetEra insider circles for the past few months, and I've noticed some trends of rumors all getting passed around the same circles and rarely turning out to be true, so this strikes me as a trend that's absolutely worth discussing.

Many times this. There is an industry built just around Nintendo rumours, it's like nothing else.

SpawnCast, DirectFeedGames, RGT85 etc all posting the same rumours for clicks (and money). I've been saying it for months.

And don't bring up the Nintendo Rumour Archive thread because as soon as you mention anyone having an incorrect rumour the fanboys just dogpile you for "harassment" and bringing up old shit.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with this although for my personal take on the whole thing...

The biggest problem is that Era clearly doesn't have enough restrictions on rumors and insiders and every time these crazy rumors turn out to be bullshit like they very often have been, nothing changes. There needs to be a serious crackdown on what rumors are allowed here and insiders need to be vetted a lot more before anything they say can be actually used to create a thread on whatever rumor they know about. While the false rumor did certainly pop up on the old site it was moderated a lot more harshly and insiders and rumors were put under a hell of a lot more scrutiny then they are here and because of that it didn't happen anywhere near as much as it seems to happen here.

I mean for this whole thing remember how this started? It was that Nintendo was reviving a dead IP. Then a day or two later it wasn't just a dead IP, it was the dead Microsoft IP Scalebound! Then a day or two after that it was that Microsoft and Nintendo were working together and Gamepass was coming to Switch!

I mean come the fuck on, the story literally changed 3 times in less then a week and we had more then half a dozen threads on these things and hundreds of people believed this nonsense and tbh I feel like the staff just lets insanity with rumors run amuck with little to no interest in controlling these crazy stories no matter where they come from our how outlandish they seem. How many times do we have to see insiders get it wrong before the staff decides it might be a good time to crack down on this shit?

Having the site constantly fall for these rumors time and again makes the site look like a joke and I feel like a joke for being a member here at times when people are so obviously being deceived and the staff just doesn't seem to give a shit. Yeah sure personal responsibility and all that but some vetting on a site with as many members as this site has does should be an obvious thing. It would be one thing if this was just a recent thing but its plagued Era from the beginning with rumors about Mother 3, or various NX/Switch rumors, or Smash rumors, or Zelda rumors, or to be more specific... The Star Fox Grand Prix rumors, the various Metroid Prime 4 rumors including it showing up at the Game Awards, Pokemon Stars, ect. It is a constant and never ending thing and for every 1 thing that turns out to be true theres at least 20 things that turn out to be complete and utter bullshit.

It gives the site a poor reputation and I think more needs to be done.
I agree but until the moderation starts to actually do something about all the false information being spread around the site will just keep going in circles just like last week nobody wants to take responsibility for what happened or try and correct it but that's not new here people are content with the status quo of false information being said with 0 accountability that is what reflects poorly on the site and moderation.