• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
It happens that I've also been paying a lot of attention to ResetEra insider circles for the past few months, and I've noticed some trends of rumors all getting passed around the same circles and rarely turning out to be true, so this strikes me as a trend that's absolutely worth discussing.

Agreed. And I hate to invoke this, but 'where we came from' seemed much tighter on this (previously - i've no idea, nor no care, for what it's like now in this respect). Maybe it's my old-man memory, but it seemed like rumour mongering from unverified or mixed sources was often shut down quickly. I think it would be beneficial to be stricter on this on Resetera also.

Deleted member 1607

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is nonsense. When you make videos with titles like "Report: Microsoft Preparing Xbox App & GamePass for Nintendo Switch" that get tens of thousands of views, you are a reporter, and it's perfectly fair for anyone -- especially other reporters -- to scrutinize and publicize your track record. Whenever a reporter spreads false information, it can do harm, and it needs to be called out accordingly. I very much include myself there, and when I get something wrong, I try to correct the record as transparently as possible. I hope that other people will also call me out when I fuck up, because that's the only way to ensure that the truth comes out.

It happens that I've also been paying a lot of attention to ResetEra insider circles for the past few months, and I've noticed some trends of rumors all getting passed around the same circles and rarely turning out to be true, so this strikes me as a trend that's absolutely worth discussing.

I fully agree, thank you for bringing attention to this.

gogojira

Oct 27, 2017

This. A lot of it appears to be circulating around Nintendo, too, which is weird because they are typically so secretive and legit insiders or journalists can't validate the same info. It's becoming pretty clear what's happening. I'm not going to name names because who the fuck cares, but it's rampant and the track records are bad (this includes ResetEra but extends to other opportunistic insiders on Twitter).

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017

100% how I have been noticing here as well.

Big G

Oct 27, 2017
Completely agreed. And long overdue.

Morfid_Plays

Self Requested Ban
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine trying to fight with Jason, one of the few people with credibility

He isn't feeding off some false hype perpetrated by a few individuals with messiah complex who like to play guess.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Obviously MS want their service on everything. The big queestion has always been on Nintendo if they'd allow such service on their system.

twisted heart

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Jason's integrity is being called into question for trying to help stop the spread of false information I believe Jason is handling the situation just fine even if people don't agree with how he has so far.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
An huge part of the rumour (including Ori and Cuphead ports) is coming from a jeuxvideo.com article, the article being written by the one having leaked Nier : Automata last year and by having written a book about Halo during the ages seems to have some contacts at Microsoft
Ah I met this journalist in Paris and talked to him a bit afterwards. Nice guy!

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Did Era ever have a list of trustworthy vs. untrustworthy sources? I know Switch in particular has a rumor archive but it seems out of date.

Like more than just a community thing, probably needs some amount of mod curation.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
Seriously. Schreier has constantly proven himself time and time again.

Let's not get started on Nintendo insiders/rumors and their accuracy on the other hand...
+ Brad Sams, who is one of the most trusted tech journalist specialized in MS news.
He's got insider contacts all over Microsoft including in the gaming branch.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, I'm telling you right now, devs will always, always, always push for visuals over performance. Like 90% of the time. Why do you think there are so many eye catching trailers that are supposedly captured 'in real time and in game' that feature next to no actual gameplay and then wind up being a far cry from the the final release?

That may be true, but that isnt what I'm responding about.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Gamepass is great for consumers but it does not fit Nintendos corperate strategy at all.

Things that are not good for developers, like heavily devalue the price that a consumer is willing to pay for a game, are not good in the long term for consumers.

Because developers will prioritize other ecosystems that have not been devalued.

We have seen this with Playstation 4 and its free indie games with Plus. In the last 6 months, a lot of the most important indie console releases skipped PS4 or came much later.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE
This is nonsense. When you make videos with titles like "Report: Microsoft Preparing Xbox App & GamePass for Nintendo Switch" that get tens of thousands of views, you are a reporter, and it's perfectly fair for anyone -- especially other reporters -- to scrutinize and publicize your track record. Whenever a reporter spreads false information, it can do harm, and it needs to be called out accordingly. I very much include myself there, and when I get something wrong, I try to correct the record as transparently as possible. I hope that other people will also call me out when I fuck up, because that's the only way to ensure that the truth comes out.

All of this.

If only more journalists in games media had this kind of integrity or credibility I'd actually have some modicum of faith in rumors that get posted by some news outlets etc. As it is now, there's no way I'll blindly believe rumors like some on Era do.

Kolx

Oct 25, 2017
The real news here is that he has tons of info about the next Xbox, and he didn't release it?! WHY DOES NOBODY CARE ABOUT THIS?!

Thadeus

Oct 27, 2017
It's okay to take people accountable for what they're saying and to keep an history of what they got right or wrong. That's why the Switch rumor archive thread exists and that was really one of the best idea the community had (and there should be this for all platforms/publishers). But it should stops at checking how likely this person is to have accurate sources rather than going the extra mile and discredit the human behind the reporting, especially when that person was likely doing all in good faith and just tried to give some discussion points to the community.

On the other hand - individuals that post or report information must be aware of the forthcoming risks and accept the consequences that come with them, they also have to bear the responsibility and the weight of disclosing this information. Sure it may be good faith for us but what are the consequences and ramifications to the other side to have such information leaked? how will it affect them - positively or negatively?

Seriously. Schreier has constantly proven himself time and time again.

Let's not get started on Nintendo insiders/rumors and their accuracy on the other hand...

This

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Well, duh. xCloud isn't even a thing on Xbox yet, it'll be years before it's on Switch.

I think Jeuxvideo rumor implied there will be native ports of some games that are part of Game Pass. Ori, Cuphead and maybe couple of Xbox 360 ports. We'll see what will happen. As Gematsu leaked, Ori seems to be definitely coming.

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care how they handled it, but bringing up such topics keeps the gators out.
I think BY2K is referring to Brad Sams. Not Jason.
Referring to Sam.

And yes much of the rumor detail DirectFeed gives come from jeuxvideo
+ Brad Sams, who is one of the most trusted tech journalist specialized in MS news.

Right, gotcha. Point still stands however as Brad Sams is a respected tech journalist who specializes in this sorts news as lichter points out and him and Schreier are hearing the same things.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018

This is absolutely a problem. Thank you for calling it out.

Falcon511

Oct 27, 2017
This is true. He wrote a book on the Surface products and was able to go hands on with an unreleased Surface device. I believe it was the Surface 3 RT. He knows people.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
tumblr_owwyq2HFJh1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Get em Mez! ERA was only so gung-ho about this rumor because some people can't accept the fact that big third party games will never hit the Switch, instead of just STFUing and picking up a XBO, PS4, or PC

Ugh

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
The real news here is that he has tons of info about the next Xbox, and he didn't release it?! WHY DOES NOBODY CARE ABOUT THIS?!
Well he already has said a whole lot about the next consoles lol, 90% of what's been leaked about them are coming from him.

In this video he says that 8th gen Xboxes might also get GameCore (a common OS for future PC games, Scarlett and 8th gen Xboxes that allows great compatibility between the devices), which could be for implementing both backwards and forward compatibility between the two generations (that's just his interpretation, idk if it's really feasible).

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
The Gamepass rumors would be easier to believe if someone could name one big reason why Nintendo would even allow this shit on their system. Switch is a software beast and they have like 20/30 games dropping on the eShop every week in addition to developers bringing their current gen games like Mortal Kombat, Dragon Quest XI etc. over.

They are getting 30% of every everything....why would they mess that up by allowing something like GamePass that would result in people buying less native software ?

Hell we dont even have Netflix on Switch but GamePass is about to launch this year ?
I think the only big reason why Nintendo would want the GamePass/xCloud service on the Switch is because once the next generation is here AAA and possibly even AA non indie multi-plat titles will be too demanding to be ported over to the Switch. That will be a huge hit on Nintendo's revenue from non first party titles.

If anything I can see MS using the xCloud service to sell games at full price on the eShop and giving Nintendo their 30% cut or maybe they can work out a better deal but there is potential here, just not Game Pass buffet level which will undoubtedly hurt Nintendo's bottom line. It was Reggie himself who once said that they are competing for people's time and the more time people spend on services like Game Pass the less money they are making with their own titles.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yup. I'm glad you're bringing this up, as it's absolutely worth talking about.

Deleted member 6730

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get where Jason is coming from, and I agree, but no reason to go after people over dumb video game rumors. Just be more literate when it comes to the media you consume and STOP. TAKING. EVERY. RUMOR. AT. FACE. VALUE.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
I think the only big reason why Nintendo would want the GamePass/xCloud service on the Switch is because once the next generation is here AAA and possibly even AA non indie multi-plat titles will be too demanding to be ported over to the Switch. That will be a huge hit on Nintendo's revenue from non first party titles which can be

If anything I can see MS using the xCloud service to sell games at full price on the eShop and giving Nintendo their 30% cut or maybe they can work out a better deal but there is potential here, just not Game Pass buffet level which will undoubtedly hurt Nintendo's bottom line. It was Reggie himself who once said that they are competing for people's time and the more time people spend on services like Game Pass the less money they are making with their own titles.
Kinda got me thinking Nintendo could use that to sell a Streaming service themselves, want your game on Switch, but it's too demanding, use the Nintendo streaming service. Problem would be finding a partner that would let them use their Cloud tech to make their own service though, I'd imagine that shit don't come cheap.
Be a lot more in it for them doing it like that, than giving a Xbox service the keys to the castle.

Oct 25, 2017
The Gamepass rumors would be easier to believe if someone could name one big reason why Nintendo would even allow this shit on their system. Switch is a software beast and they have like 20/30 games dropping on the eShop every week in addition to developers bringing their current gen games like Mortal Kombat, Dragon Quest XI etc. over.

They are getting 30% of every everything....why would they mess that up by allowing something like GamePass that would result in people buying less native software ?

Hell we dont even have Netflix on Switch but GamePass is about to launch this year ?
Yeah, had an issue with this aspect as well.

Mentioned it would take away time from native sales and it's a disincentive for bringing big AAA ports which is probably bad for switch too.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
This is true. He wrote a book on the Surface products and was able to go hands on with an unreleased Surface device. I believe it was the Surface 3 RT. He knows people.
A bit off-topic but since you've mentioned his book: I love how his book was taken by tech medias to actually release some news, he really has some good sources over there. I put his book on hold but the chapters about Windows 8 were very insightful, I might get back into it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Things that are not good for developers, like heavily devalue the price that a consumer is willing to pay for a game, are not good in the long term for consumers.

Because developers will prioritize other ecosystems that have not been devalued.

We have seen this with Playstation 4 and its free indie games with Plus. In the last 6 months, a lot of the most important indie console releases skipped PS4 or came much later.
This as well.

People dont understand why Nintendo right now is the indie devs Darling - yes you might be happy because you can get indie hits for next to nothing or free via GamePass - but indie devs much rather have them selling like they do on Switch,
I think the only big reason why Nintendo would want the GamePass/xCloud service on the Switch is because once the next generation is here AAA and possibly even AA non indie multi-plat titles will be too demanding to be ported over to the Switch. That will be a huge hit on Nintendo's revenue from non first party titles.

I dont see indie or AA like japanese devs leaving the Switch anytime soon - especially not for PS5/Nextbox exclusive and their low install base. Games will probably developed with Switch in mind so they can be ported to stronger consoles not the other way around.

Even with this case - Nintendo is most certainly working on more powerful Switch revisions and a full follow up as well. They havent cared about having the latest tech in their consoles for over a decade but focus on exclusive and indie/AA devs. A 3rdParty streaming solution by Microsoft/Xbox is probably not the alternative they wanna offer their customers.

It would also be a slap into the fact for the partners that have worked hard into porting their games to Switch and makes them available...especially this year we are going to see a bunch of games from more powerful consoles running on Switch - thats what Nintendo wants, not pushing/pimping Microsoft streaming solution.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Out of all of the MS/Nintendo rumors, the Ori rumor is the most credible one.

Ori is funded and published by Microsoft, it's as MS property as Halo and others. I don't think MS chose only one game to bring to Switch while there are others make much more sense (like Banjo remasters or Rare Xbox 360 games). If Ori is real, I believe we'll see more from Microsoft for Switch. As native ports.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
I think the rumor of Call of Duty coming to the Switch in 2018 has been debunked.
Sure but if I point out a debunked rumor from Jason then will you suddenly believe the latter? Of course not because this is all just a case of who said what. For instance Jason claimed to have a source on Star Fox Grand Prix which is another game that appears to have vanished - or according to some sources never existed in the first place.

No one has a perfect track record and we shouldn't take anything at face value until we see it announced by Nintendo or Microsoft.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
Had a feeling this was too good to be true.

I wonder if Ori and Cuphead will still happen after all?

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Out of all of the MS/Nintendo rumors, the Ori rumor is the most credible one.

Weird ... when this all started I would swear to my most loved ones that the xcloud is real and the ori is crazy stuff.
I mean the xcloud is a good way for microsoft to increase their brand awareness in japan while ori is ... just Viva Pinata on the DS all over again.

...which makes it's own crazy sense in a way

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there more to the original rumour than just Gamepass?

In any case, we saw a bunch of people jump on the rumour bandwagon and claim they heard the same things from their 'sources'. Still waiting on Starfox Racing.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I got the impression at the time of all the threads on era that the rumour was given much more weight simply because it was posted by an era member.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
This as well.

People dont understand why Nintendo right now is the indie devs Darling - yes you might be happy because you can get indie hits for next to nothing or free via GamePass - but indie devs much rather have them selling like they do on Switch,

I dont see indie or AA like japanese devs leaving the Switch anytime soon - especially not for PS5/Nextbox exclusive and their low install base. Games will probably developed with Switch in mind so they can be ported to stronger consoles not the other way around.

Even with this case - Nintendo is most certainly working on more powerful Switch revisions and a full follow up as well. They havent cared about having the latest tech in their consoles for over a decade but focus on exclusive and indie/AA devs. A 3rdParty streaming solution by Microsoft/Xbox is probably not the alternative they wanna offer their customers.

It would also be a slap into the fact for the partners that have worked hard into porting their games to Switch and makes them available...especially this year we are going to see a bunch of games from more powerful consoles running on Switch - thats what Nintendo wants, not pushing/pimping Microsoft streaming solution.
Yeah I agree that the Switch will keep on doing great in Japan and I highly doubt the PS5 will ever surpass it but that wont be the case everywhere else. I'm sure that Nintendo will want a cut of the next CoD for example but even with a revision there is only so much that can be done to improve the quality while keeping the same chip infrastructure needed to make future titles compatible with the older consoles.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but if I point out a debunked rumor from Jason then will you suddenly believe the latter? Of course not because this is all just a case of who said what. For instance Jason claimed to have a source on Star Fox Grand Prix which is another game that appears to have vanished - or according to some sources never existed in the first place.

No one has a perfect track record and we shouldn't take anything at face value until we see it announced by Nintendo or Microsoft.
Yes - I tried to write about that as transparently as I could without burning the source in question: https://www.resetera.com/threads/theory-starfox-grand-prix-never-existed.99662/page-9#post-17926970

Any time I report something based on anonymous sources or exclusive information, my readers should take that and the rest of my track record into mind when choosing whether or not to believe it. We should scrutinize the track records of any reporter or insider who is offering up the same. In this case, as I've pointed out, the original source has a shaky track record and it's important to bring that up when sharing an explosive new rumor that they've just put out in the wild.