• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Windows Central gave a reason. MS wants devs to use their crossplay SDK, having partnered developers work and test the tools beforehand makes sense.

https://www.windowscentral.com/why-xbox-game-pass-nintendo-switch-and-other-systems-smart

Minecraft already uses that tool, it's been functioning for close to a year now. The testing it over, it works.
It would make zero sense for Ori and Cuphead to be test games for a crossplay SDK as those games don't feature any online multiplayer

From experience I can say people are nuts. I received death threats for saying that Smash Grinch rumor was fake

I never apologized for that did I? I really wanted Mach Rider playable and lashed out

Honestly, I was actually very adamant that leak was fake and was looking like a crazy conspiracy theorist trying to poke the holes in it's authenticity during that whole ordeal.

Feb 10, 2018
After hearing him talking about wanting 4k 60fps on lockhart and going like 80fps on anaconda this guy sounds completely clueless.

Akki

Oct 31, 2017
Nintendo has been trying to keep the value of their games for decades.

Just remember the last gamepass 2$ for 2 months, more than 100 games available. It screams devaluation.

Gamepass is great for consumers but it does not fit Nintendos corperate strategy at all.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo-related rumors are almost always bullshit.

Never really cared abou Game Pass coming to Switch, but Ori and Cuphead would have been cool. Oh well.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
Minecraft already uses that tool, it's been functioning for close to a year now. The testing it over, it works.

It would make zero sense for Ori and Cuphead to be test games for a crossplay SDK as those games don't feature any online multiplayer

Testing via implementation in development. Minecraft does not run on Unity or Unreal, you have to figure Microsoft wants the SDK working with those engines and having internal (or partnered) developers port games as proof to sell the platform to other devs makes some sense.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
That's what im saying. How does putting 2 exclusives (Ori & Cuphead) on Switch sell more GP when there is 2 less games that are exclusive to GP/Xbox Platform. If either of them were key games I wanted to play I just purchase them on switch instead of GP.
I imagine it's something like this:
Could be the devs pushing for it. It's happened with Sony a couple times and they allowed the devs to put the game on Steam/mobile (Helldivers, Everyone's Gone to The Rapture, Flower and Journey).

Brand recognition and maybe sort of testing the waters without jumping in? Putting games that can run natively on the Switch and maybe allowing some sort of XBL integration idk. Still a sort of jump off point for a bond between MS/Nintendo

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This is also the same source: https://twitter.com/DirectFeedGames/status/1067239625830346754

I'm pretty confident there was never any Metroid stuff planned for The Game Awards. From what I can tell, that -- along with some other rumors that have been floating around Era recently and turned out to be false -- originated from similar circles. Too many insiders!
I'm sure I could go back through your history and point out inaccurate things. Let's be fair.

I don't know who's right or wrong here, but it's a bit odd to cherry pick things. Why are you attacking other journalists? It's poor form.

OP
OP
Iichter

Iichter

Oct 29, 2017
That's what I kept saying over and over, Minecraft for Switch already implements that, the only news was that Microsoft offers it to developers to implement it to their games.

The only "value" that Ori or Cuphead would bring with the XBL SDK would be Xbox achievements.

Yep

Dec 14, 2017

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is also the same source: https://twitter.com/DirectFeedGames/status/1067239625830346754

I'm pretty confident there was never any Metroid stuff planned for The Game Awards. From what I can tell, that -- along with some other rumors that have been floating around Era recently and turned out to be false -- originated from similar circles. Too many insiders!

This really feels unnecessary. It's not like you were always right as well. Leave other people be, it's just tweets about video games. All you're doing is creative a negative mob around people that'll only end up in harassment. Confirming or deconfirming the initial info is good enough, there's no need to go after the people reporting it.

There are already enough people doing this. You doing it will just encourage other people to harass him.

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure I could go back through your history and point out inaccurate things. Let's be fair.

I don't know who's right or wrong here, but it's a bit odd to cherry pick things. Why are you attacking other journalists? It's poor form.
He's not directly attacking them though. He's simply suggesting caution when running with all of these various rumors. This place has too often fallen prey to rumors.

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

You should absolutely scrutinize my history every time I report on something. Then you can decide for yourself if you believe what I've reported.

Every journalist reporting on exclusive information should be scrutinized as much as possible, and every insider rumor should be examined with as much context as is available. That's the only way to figure out the truth.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
He's not directly attacking them though. He's simply suggesting caution when running with all of these various rumors. This place has too often fallen prey to rumors.
You know exactly what this enables though. People will be going through his history and sending him personal attacks. Jason's been in this circle a long time, he knows better than this.

The worst part is all of this is still just a rumor. Just because one person claims the opposite doesn't change a thing until it's official.

Serebii

Serebii.net Webmaster
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
You should absolutely scrutinize my history every time I report on something. Then you can decide for yourself if you believe what I've reported.

Every journalist reporting on exclusive information should be scrutinized as much as possible, and every insider rumor should be examined with as much context as is available. That's the only way to figure out the truth.
To an extent I agree, but you're only pointing out the negatives, rather than creating a balanced discussion here.

That smacks more of a journalist trying to push a certain element of a story, not the whole one.

Drencrom

Oct 25, 2017
SWE

Someone finally calling out the rumors that some folk and ""insiders"" peddle around here.

7kOiIxA.gif

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what im saying. How does putting 2 exclusives (Ori & Cuphead) on Switch sell more GP when there is 2 less games that are exclusive to GP/Xbox Platform. If either of them were key games I wanted to play I just purchase them on switch instead of GP.

Oh I see. I thought you were talking about xCloud rather than native games.

Nov 15, 2018
just ban the sites/sources that continuously spread false info. sounds dumb to keep giving them the clicks and attention they want.

As for this news, if Nintendo doesnt get gamepass but other mobile devices do, then the switch would start losing its appeal. Nintendo does benefit by gaining 300 games that may even require subbing to Nintendo online.
and it's not like they are even close to creating something like gamepass themselves.

ccieag

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Vail, CO
It's all rumors until announced. I'm not counting on any Xbox games short of those announced and already released

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017

I agree with this. Its not ok to spread false information.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I applaud Jason for pointing records out!

After the TGA rumors, I could've not believed people here fell for the same sources again.
It's becoming laughable how gullible people are here. Era and believing fake rumors name a better combo!

overcast

Oct 25, 2017
You know exactly what this enables though. People will be going through his history and sending him personal attacks. Jason's been in this circle a long time, he knows better than this.
Feel as though even Brad Sams calling the information false will create that environment though. That's on our community for being outrageous.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
It seems like he does not understand that the higher the polycounty + effects a new gen brings will require more powerful hardware then what is needed to make 4k current gen games.
I think you misunderstood him. He was talking about his hopes in Anaconda being 4k/60fps since Xbox One X can already do 4K, and that Lockhart would be 4k/30fps.

Of course developers could do whatever they want, and theyre not forced to do either. If they want 4k/30fps, thats what a developer will do. However, I do think next generation consoles will be putting more emphasis on the CPU enabling for better frame rate if devs opt for that.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Where I'm at with this is one person said something was true and the other person says it isn't.
We have no confirmation on who's wrong or right on this and it's possible the truth might be somewhere in the middle as tends to happen sometimes. Maybe there won't be Game Pass on Switch but only xCloud streaming. That would still make part of Nate's claims true.

I still think there's too much smoke for there not to be fire though, there is something cooking here. Why bring Ori and Cuphead over? Sure they can sell well on Switch but realistically you're looking around a maximum of around 1mil sales each for 2 budget ($20) titles.
Is that enough for Microsoft to start sending out their exclusives to other platforms? Idk, all this seems like there's something bigger on the horizon.

gofreak

Oct 26, 2017
Nintendo-related rumors are almost always bullshit.

Never really cared abou Game Pass coming to Switch, but Ori and Cuphead would have been cool. Oh well.

I believe the Ori/Cuphead ports are a different kettle of fish.

Don't want to put words into jschreier's mouth, but he mentioned on a podcast last week that he had heard rumblings about those (but not about gamepass on switch).

The problem with rumours sometimes is that one aspect might be fairly well grounded, and then others might not be, even if coming from the same (second hand) source.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's okay to take people accountable for what they're saying and to keep an history of what they got right or wrong. That's why the Switch rumor archive thread exists and that was really one of the best idea the community had (and there should be this for all platforms/publishers). But it should stops at checking how likely this person is to have accurate sources rather than going the extra mile and discredit the human behind the reporting, especially when that person was likely doing all in good faith and just tried to give some discussion points to the community.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly after how Star Fox Grand Prix turned out, I've been taking a Yahtzee styled approach to rumors.

BQmkyWR.png

In other words, just expect every rumor by default to be fake (regardless of how credible the source may be), and be plesantly surprised if it isn't, or not disappointed if it is.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I'm fine with Jason Schreier calling out NateDrake for having, in his opinion, bad sources.
But linking to multiple tweets here is stupid. It has already begun, Nate is getting stupid messages. He already got too much shit post TGA. Jason knows better than this, before every E3 Jason tweets the usual "i've been receiving insults/death treats for sharing this rumor, but you'll all see in a few days". He knows how people are on twitter. It's a fucking jungle.

DMVfan123

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
User banned (1 week): Antagonizing, encouraging harassment of other users, console warring
I applaud Jason for pointing records out!

After the TGA rumors, I could've not believed people here fell for the same sources again.
It's becoming laughable how gullible people are here. Era and believing fake rumors name a better combo!
tumblr_owwyq2HFJh1u1ljrzo1_500.gif

Get em Mez! ERA was only so gung-ho about this rumor because some people can't accept the fact that big third party games will never hit the Switch, instead of just STFUing and picking up a XBO, PS4, or PC

jschreier

Press Sneak Fuck
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
This is nonsense. When you make videos with titles like "Report: Microsoft Preparing Xbox App & GamePass for Nintendo Switch" that get tens of thousands of views, you are a reporter, and it's perfectly fair for anyone -- especially other reporters -- to scrutinize and publicize your track record. Whenever a reporter spreads false information, it can do harm, and it needs to be called out accordingly. I very much include myself there, and when I get something wrong, I try to correct the record as transparently as possible. I hope that other people will also call me out when I fuck up, because that's the only way to ensure that the truth comes out.

It happens that I've also been paying a lot of attention to ResetEra insider circles for the past few months, and I've noticed some trends of rumors all getting passed around the same circles and rarely turning out to be true, so this strikes me as a trend that's absolutely worth discussing.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I think you misunderstood him. He was talking about his hopes in Anaconda being 4k/60fps since Xbox One X can already do 4K, and that Lockhart would be 4k/30fps.

Of course developers could do whatever they want, and theyre not forced to do either. If they want 4k/30fps, thats what a developer will do. However, I do think next generation consoles will be putting more emphasis on the CPU enabling for better frame rate if devs opt for that.

Lol, I'm telling you right now, devs will always, always, always push for visuals over performance. Like 90% of the time. Why do you think there are so many eye catching trailers that are supposedly captured 'in real time and in game' that feature next to no actual gameplay and then wind up being a far cry from the the final release?

Its probably Xbox live integration on games that MS will publish to switch. Which could come to 3rd party developers and indies. Like sign in to Xbox live when you start Ori for the first time. Achievements will sync with you XBL account.

That's super old news though. We've known about Xbox Live being released to 3rd parties on Switch for a good minute. It was leaked in an Xbox GDC listing.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
There are too many issues for unrestricted game pass on Switch. I'm not surprised if this is true that it's not coming

I think what's going to happen is game pass users are going to get.access to some content on Switch via an Xbox app for free. Like Twitch Prime or Amazon Prime perks

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
The Gamepass rumors would be easier to believe if someone could name one big reason why Nintendo would even allow this shit on their system. Switch is a software beast and they have like 20/30 games dropping on the eShop every week in addition to developers bringing their current gen games like Mortal Kombat, Dragon Quest XI etc. over.

They are getting 30% of every everything....why would they mess that up by allowing something like GamePass that would result in people buying less native software ?

Hell we dont even have Netflix on Switch but GamePass is about to launch this year ?