• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

Known as one of the creators of Everquest and Vanguard also the upcoming Pantheon has passed away.

This one hits me hard, Everquest was such a major part of my life for years.

RIP Brad.

Deleted member 30935

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Man, Everquest was SUCH a big deal back when it first came out. Even as someone who never played it, I can still remember so much about it because it made such an impact.

Always tragic to hear about pioneers in the industry like this dying. RIP and my thoughts go out to his family.

Garrison

Oct 27, 2017
OMG!!!!! I can't believe this. So sad for him to pass away before he saw his work come out.

RIP

Stick

Oct 30, 2017
damn man wtf.... I so wanted to see him succeed with Pantheon. This sucks :( RIP

Oct 25, 2017
Well, this fucking sucks.

Thank you for the lifetime of memories with Everquest. Made lifelong friendships

All the best to his loved ones and the whole Pantheon team.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
This really hit me when I saw Smedley tweet about it earlier. For better or worse EverQuest was a defining part of my life, and anyone that had as much to do with it as Brad have had more impact on my life than most. Too young, for sure. RIP Aradune.

Ryhian

Jan 23, 2018
Such terrible news. Everquest was so amazing and he was so great with the community.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
holy shit what.

EDIT: I shouldn't be surprised given his issues in life, but god damn RIP. EverQuest is still directly responsible for so much.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
No way... Everquest was my first MMO, spent 2 years on it, great moments, and this was the game where I created my online ID "Hyun Sai"...

Rest in peace...

Sep 28, 2018
RIP Brad. A real visionary of the MMO genre, Everquest was my first mmo when i was 10 in 2004. (Didn't play wow until 2 years later) Hell I still play it today. Also speaking of which, WoW wouldn't even be as big a deal as what it was if Everquest hadn't paved the way for it.

Brad was a truly talented man. I dug Vanguard too a lot and I hate that it shutdown.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
IMO EverQuest is one of the top 10 most important games ever made, and super formative for me.

Thanks for the memories, Brad.

FenninRo

alt account
Banned
Nov 13, 2019
Oh no...

Some might recognize my name as one of the gods (and original servers) of EverQuest, which was a life-changing gaming experience for me. Vanguard was a disaster, and by all accounts Brad McQuaid as not a great manager or leader of that company, but he still held a special place in my heart for his role in EverQuest. I was very cautiously looking forward to Pantheon, too, but I just can't see it moving forward without him.

Very sad about this. RIP.

Iadien

Oct 25, 2017
EQ is the biggest reason I fell in love with gaming and I'm looking forward to Pantheon. This sucks a lot. RIP.

Nicko

Oct 25, 2017
Rest in peace. He literally forged some of the most memorable years of my childhood.

Cenauru

Dragon Girl Supremacy
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck, I just saw this on twitter and was hoping it was just a distasteful meme, then I saw it was official. I never played EQ during its time but have read and watched tons of GDC talks and other articles on MMO's and he was one of the big names that always seemed to jump out. Right as they're in the middle of making their EQ successor, and now he's just...gone. It's hard for me to take this in right now. Rest In Peace, Brad.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
RIP. Never played EverQuest myself, but I know that was an important game for a lot of reasons.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Too bad he didn't live long enough to make proper spiritual successor to EQ. His multiple efforts simply didn't pan out.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
RIP. My first MMO and a game that dazzled me with the possibilities of the future. I'll never forget Norrath.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Damn this hurt to read :(
And he was only 51 years old...

like others here, EQ1 was a very formative game for me. It was the first MMO I ever played (or online really) and one of the early 3D games I played. I have memories of playing that will always be with me.

Rest In Peace, Brad and thank you for all of the great memories :(

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Damn...too young, and before seeing his latest work release. I was always more into UO than EQ, but EQ remains one of the most important games of all time. I got into EQ2, and really appreciated a lot of what they were doing with Vanguard, too. RIP.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
WTF. Terrible loss, he'll be missed. For some of us EQ old timers, the amount of memories he helped create have not, may not ever be recreated, and I am very thankful for my time with EQ. The MMO genre was infinity better off with Brad in its corner, and originally, as a young growing genre, without Brad and his passion and ideas, the MMO genre as we know it wouldn't be the same. A titan, a true pioneer in the industry, RIP.

And like many, Everquest was the game where I created my online ID, Jury Vicious.

Last edited:

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL
41gvSW7.jpg

While I didn't agree with some of his methods, Brad was a fucking visionary. He was one of the pioneers of the MMO genre, and I was really looking forward to fighting against his "vision" once again in Pantheon..

RIP Aradune

PhE2mjy.png

anariel

Oct 27, 2017
Oh man, last I remember hearing from him was on Vanguard a number of years ago. He was such an important guy for the genre as a whole. Rest in peace.

Nista

Oct 26, 2017
I have many fond memories of EQ, so I appreciate his hard work. I wish he could have lived for many years more to see what MMOs would evolve into. RIP

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Everquest had a tremendous impact on my life (both good and bad). RIP Brad, I hope to experience the Vision™ one last time when Pantheon launches.

OberstKrueger

Jan 7, 2018
EverQuest was what turned my gaming passion towards MMOs and turned me on to the fantasy genre, both of which remain with me to this day. I met him briefly way back before Vanguard's launch, and given how much he has influenced my life, it was a moment I'll remember.

Rest in peace, Brad. I'll be listening to the EverQuest soundtrack tonight, remembering the good times I had in your world.

Sean

Oct 25, 2017
Longview
I was one of the original FoH members in EQ, used to talk to some of the devs a little bit, been a really long time though. Brad was a nice guy.

Sad to see him go so young.

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Beta EQ player here too, I'm super sad to read this. I had a chance to meet him once and he seemed like a really good dude.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
RIP
EQ1 almost got me kicked out of college.
Thanks for the memories, and revolutionizing the genre I spend the most time playing.

Vilam

Oct 27, 2017
The course my life took was considerably influenced by my time in EverQuest, and I made some incredible lasting friendships from that game. Brad was a legend to that community. What sad news =( RIP