• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Maybe no one reported them till I did, but so far nothing.

Hopefully that's the case and it will be seen now and dealt with. There should be zero leeway for pushing for violence against children.

If we can agree this girl doesn't fully understand the gravity of what she did because she is 12 then same should hold true for the boys if this story went the other direction if the accusation was true.

We don't change our standards depending on the child.

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019
Hopefully that's the case and it will be seen now and dealt with. There should be zero leeway for pushing for violence against children.

If we can agree this girl doesn't fully understand the gravity of what she did because she is 12 then same should hold true for the boys if this story went the other direction if the accusation was true.

We should not push for violence against adults either.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
No, I think there's still a fair bit more to this story that we don't know but I sure as hell am not going to let the media distort my view on this incident.
Like it did for you to think the boys had involvement in the first place.
In this case there is no media distortion. She recanted, her family apologized and the police say the boys were elsewhere, with video evidence to back them up.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
Yes, this is why I'm fucking furious at this. There are people who are harassed, bullied, beaten up, etc. at school every god damn day. Why the fuck would you fake something like this?!

Smollett was a fucking adult and knew what he was doing. I want to know how a 12-year-old girl either got this idea into her head -- or who placed the idea in her head that this was a good idea. Honestly, this girl and her parents should be shown the bodies of people like Emmett Till to know that lying about this kind of thing is no laughing matter.

This. Time to move on.

What the fuck. Why do people make shit up like this?

Because they want attention. Some people think it's cool to be a victim. Nah, it feels like shit. NOBODY who's mentally sound wants to be a victim of anything.

Guys, shes 12.

Yeah it was wrong, and it it should be dealt with, but its not an act of culture war. Its a kid doing something stupid. Happens every day.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Different situations. If the boys knew it was a racist thing to do and did it based off of that, I don't think that's automatically an exact equivalent of just making up a story just because both things are wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
Just now going through this thread and if I'm reading right are you saying there was no warnings at all for promoting violence against minors?

Disgusting policy practice if that's true.
Maybe no one reported them till I did, but so far nothing.

Mods should really address this, it was fucked

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
ah yes, let there be a reckoning. let the blod flow. if you wanted the boys to be executed, now you are banned forever. if you just wanted them to get spankings you get 3 days in the wine cellar.

this lesson must not be lost. we must have actionings.

Kitten Mittens

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
ah yes, let there be a reckoning. let the blod flow. if you wanted the boys to be executed, now you are banned forever. if you just wanted them to get spankings you get 3 days in the wine cellar.

this lesson must not be lost. we must have actionings.
This is what dismissing shitty behavior looks like.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes there aren't any villains to punish.

This is a 12 year old who panicked and blamed something she did herself on innocent kids. It was believable to everyone because this racist bullying shit happens in real life all the time. But 12 year old girls and boys make stupid decisions all the time. It's built into their chemistry. They are hardwired to make poor decisions. That's why they aren't prosecuted as adults. Usually. She probably didn't realize it would escalate.

Her family believed her because of the climate - the very real existence of the thing their kid described. We believed her because of that. We believed it because the school has some extremely troubling policies and beliefs. Those kids went through hell for days. This 12 year old is going through hell now. The school and its pupils are going through hell.

The girl should lose her privileges. She should be disciplined appropriately by the school. Everyone there should use it as a learning moment about justice and race and truth and responsibility. The family IMMEDIATELY came out with a forceful statement and full acceptance of he issue.

The ONLY good that can come of this is everyone involved learning about the reasons we believed the girl - and about forgiveness and about personal responsibility. If people take sides then the harm she caused will be amplified and escalated and profoundly affect people in negative ways.

Looky-loos like us, quick to blame, quick to judge, should be equally quick to learn and forgive. It's nothing like the Smollett case which was done by an adult for selfish, venal and startegic reasons. In a sense it's a perfect moment about race, media, bullying and social media's effect on our kids and we should think about this as a positive in a parable sense. Use this incident to talk about each of the components and the harm we can create by amplifying small things into crises.

The boys are the most profoundly affected victims in the sense of their innocence, but this family and that girl are going to go through a longer hell, with death threats, the very racism she invented to begin with and so on. She is not getting away with anything.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
She's a fucking idiot and should get kicked out of the school

Parents are probably praying that they don't deal with a civil suit all things considered, lucky she admitted to it so early on and didn't let this drag on and involve national news if it developed further.

bevishead

Jan 9, 2018
I'm happy that no assault took place, but this lie as well as Jussie's lie incredibly harms the believably of future minority assault victims. Many comments on YouTube surrounding videos of this alleged assault consisted of people calling her Jussie.

Lundren

Oct 27, 2017
I'm happy that no assault took place, but this lie as well as Jussie's lie incredibly harms the believably of future minority assault victims. Many comments on YouTube surrounding videos of this alleged assault consisted of people calling her Jussie.

Yeah, this is what it took for people to pretend that racial attacks don't happen. Without this or Jussie's stories they would believe victims and racism would be solved.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
My heart goes out to those poor kids that were accused. That was a huge fear of mine growing up, where everybody was convinced I had done something I was innocent of having done. And that was well before the internet made it so grown adults could be foaming at the mouth wishing violence upon you. What a nightmare.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Misrepresenting and mischaracterizing the concerns of others; numerous prior bans for inflammatory behavior including rationalizing violence against peaceful protesters
Just having a normal one on super progressive ResetEra, advancing the cause by calling for violence on... *checks*... innocent children, based on unproven accusations.

Handing out bans to people spotting holes in Jussie Smollet's story was hilarious, but this might just be a new low.

I wonder if people will take this opportunity for some urgently needed self-reflectiHAHAhaha, nah, I can't finish that sentence with a straight face.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So the only ban here is on the dude calling out the fact that users in this thread have gotten away with advocating for violence against children, without even a warning given. Yeah his post deserved moderation but so did those others, biased moderation blatantly apparent.