• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jeez, that ain't good. probably gonna get kicked out that private school too.
What a mess.

Like, the real world is bad enough. Throwing real innocent kids under a bus is beyond awful. At least invent fake assailants.

And now we get to hear "told you so" from people who don't want to accept this shit happens in real life. Family statement is extremely raw and direct tho.
Yea, what I ultimately got from all this. This will only fuel people in ignoring real racial accusations.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
LMAOOO

896.jpg

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Sorry I'm a little confused here.. did the family help her plan this? Whose idea was it? What a strange and turn of events..

Is there.. a source for all this? There's no link in the above article.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know she's only 12....but at 12 you definitely should know better than this. She messed up on multiple levels. Shameful.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Only thing I can say at least she didn't continue on with it and learned the maturity to admit she was lying. Hopefully not a lot of negative ramifications occurred for all involved.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Feel bad for kids she accused and anyone who actually gets hate crimes dismissed in the future because of idiots like this

Oct 27, 2017
After watching Unbelievable, I'm hesitant to even believe this fully. I would want to know how we got to this point, did she recant her claim after being grilled by the police during the investigation?

Oct 26, 2017
Shit is already hard enough out here for us. We don't need stuff like this that is only going to make actual hate crimes go unnoticed.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
This is pretty fucked. I mean I'm glad it didn't happen but I imagine those kids and their families have been through a lot these past few days.

Yup! I'd be so pissed off (like I was when first responding to the story). Girl has some issues she needs to get fixed ASAP. She's still young. But I've known others who have grown older to still lie like this... hell even on Era, folks would start threads....and when you ask a few questions, it's obvious they lied/made up a story..then they disappear.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
before the update i already saw people saying "yeahhh after smollet i'm just gonna wait and see on this one" can't imagine that attitude won't increase after this.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised a private Christian School in VA allowed dreads to begin with. Shame on her smh. I know she's only 12 but at that age I would have understood the racial gravity of such a stunt.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe the media can wait till confirmation that a crime happened before making it front page news, getting people in a frenzy over nothing. Probably too much to ask
I mean if any child came out and said they were assaulted we should take it serious. It's hard to think someone would just come out and make up a story like this. I mean what was the purpose. I don't get it.

Oct 25, 2017
before the update i already saw people saying "yeahhh after smollet i'm just gonna wait and see on this one" can't imagine that attitude won't increase after this.

That's a good thing. "Reaction culture" is toxic, news hottakes are toxic, just give things time to breathe and settle. Especially for the idiots who think promoting violence is ever ok. If so someone was truly wronged you can always re-engage.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
Maybe the media can wait till confirmation that a crime happened before making it front page news, getting people in a frenzy over nothing. Probably too much to ask
This isn't a case where the story wasn't confirmed. They weren't going to take DNA from her locks. This was a case where the story was fabricated. You won't find that many media outlets that assume the victim is lying in situations like this.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
That's a good thing. "Reaction culture" is toxic, news hottakes are toxic, just give things time to breathe and settle. Especially for the idiots who think promoting violence is ever ok. If so someone was truly wronged you can always re-engage.
I think fake cases like this will simply make people ignore the horrific violence that does actually occur.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
I mean if any child came out and said they were assaulted we should take it serious. It's hard to think someone would just come out and make up a story like this. I mean what was the purpose. I don't get it.

I used to lie because I was bored and wanted to see something happen, nothing at all this big but if that was the impetus I can understand it.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
A little more context:
During the investigation of the girl's accusations, security camera video showed where people were at the time of the alleged attack, the family's attorney said, and it became clear the girl's account could not be true based on the day and time she said it happened.

The girl maintains she has been the victim of bullying, her family's attorney said. The family is seeking counseling for the girl.

Blackage

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It...should? I don't think you should take any news story at face value in this day and age without at least incriminating evidence.

Stuff can go viral quickly and ruin lives because people need to react as fast as possible to news to let others know where they stand.

Sunster

The Fallen
Oct 5, 2018
thinking and saying something is bad is not a toxic reaction though. complete apathy in the face of reported violence on a child is toxic. you can wait and see before taking action. you don't wait and see before having an emotion.

Devilgunman

Oct 27, 2017
This is so fcking beyond stupid. What drove these people to make false accusation? National attention? Now real victims out there are going to have tougher time getting their voice heard. There should be very serious consequences for any false accusation.

kvetcha

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm honestly surprised a private Christian School in VA allowed dreads to begin with. Shame on her smh. I know she's only 12 but at that age I would have understood the racial gravity of such a stunt.

Granted, it's been almost 20 years since I went there, but it was not a particularly hyper-conservative school even then. Same headmaster, even.

electricblue

Oct 27, 2017
This isn't a case where the story wasn't confirmed. They weren't going to take DNA from her locks. This was a case where the story was fabricated. You won't find that many media outlets that assume the victim is lying in situations like this.

it took them a day to look at cctv and figure out it couldn't have happened. We could've waited that long to be outraged, demand the children be charged with hate crimes, etc

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
First page of this thread. smdh.

We need level heads to confront the actual racist and sexist shit going on around us all the time. Outrage culture is such a cheap substitute for meaningful engagement.

Atlagev

Oct 27, 2017
This is so fcking beyond stupid. What drove these people to make false accusation? National attention? Now real victims out there are going to have tougher time getting their voice heard. There should be very serious consequences for any false accusation.

Yes, this is why I'm fucking furious at this. There are people who are harassed, bullied, beaten up, etc. at school every god damn day. Why the fuck would you fake something like this?!

Smollett was a fucking adult and knew what he was doing. I want to know how a 12-year-old girl either got this idea into her head -- or who placed the idea in her head that this was a good idea. Honestly, this girl and her parents should be shown the bodies of people like Emmett Till to know that lying about this kind of thing is no laughing matter.