• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"This has been found in studies of adolescents in other countries as well

Interesting.

I echo many of the comments in here from my HS experience. Girls would often roll out the light slaps or punches. But usually not to any "crazy" degree (as in a half joking manner, like Oh You!... not that this is ok in retrospect but we laughed it off at the time.)

Oct 26, 2017
Reminds me of a friend of mine. His girl was about to get into kindergarten and he was worried sick she would be bullied. Until the day he saw her beat up and bully a bunch of neighborhood kids on the playground. Gave him a bit of a wake up call as to her potentially being the bully.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
I've been slapped by a couple of girlfriends when they got drunk and mad. None of this surprises me really.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
5.8% actually seems very low to me. Girls slapping boys is seen as acceptable. I remember tons of movies and TV shows showing the woman slapping the man without it being framed as abuse. I've been slapped by my wife quite a few times, even back when we were still dating, and I don't really care. I'm part of the problem but we both grew up with that mentality that men hitting women was bad but the opposite was just whatever.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I've been subjected to violence of various sorts from girls when I was growing up, so this study isn't surprising to me.

Hmm. This reminds me of the time in grade three when two girls physically restrained me and beat me up when they found out I liked one of their friends.. so it can happen at a very young age.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not a teenager, but this information scares me, because while I am single, I am worried that if I were to get in a relationship that if I were hit and attacked that I'd retaliate, which obviously wouldn't be a good outcome.

Josh378

Oct 27, 2017
First I thought "Wow you called the police because of a punch?", then I thought, if it was a woman it would be totally normal for that to happen, and now I understand I'm part of the problem haha

It just seems that violence is much more normal when it is associated with man.

Lets just say I've let her get away with alot of physical abuse until that point. Hell, she even dared me to call the police. But if I hit her one time, she calls the police and she presses charges and I go to jail. Double Standards.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
In Middle School / High School, I definitely remember getting hit/slapped/smacked fairly regularly. It was definitely considered to be normal. Saying something a significant other didn't like was all it took. This was through multiple years. It wasn't really until after High School that I noticed it wasn't normal. I didn't go to college, so I don't really know if it continues on there.

Never really thought about it, definitely a double standard. If a guy hit a girl on the other hand, he would literally be surrounded. That kinda shit didn't fly.

MANUELF

Oct 25, 2017
I finished an anime on netflix full of violence against men called High Score Girl where the MC constantly gets punched, kicked and beated up by this girl

MisterR

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Interesting but... Are girls as likely to report violence as guys are? That is always an important factor to consider.
If anything, I'd think boys would be less likely to report it. Boys are supposed to be tough and take it. Good chance of becoming a laughing stock in front of other teenage boys for reporting a girl beat you up.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Interesting but... Are girls as likely to report violence as guys are? That is always an important factor to consider.
I would imagine that men are the far less likely party to report physical abuse. The drivers at work here (i.e. toxic masculinity) are the same drivers that encourage male rape victims to keep quiet.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Good to see violence down overall.

And yes it is sad that culturally women and girls are expected to attack physically when they are severely offended or emotionally hurt.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Talk to middle and high school teachers about the evil that girls are capable of inflicting onto their peers. It is pretty depressing.
This kid still hasn't seen justice.

01hzycfg00t11.jpg

Grenchel

Oct 27, 2017
I was in a relationship where a girl would hit me when she was angry. It didn't even occur to me that I was in absuive relationship until much later.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
Link to article? Would like to see if Kid sue's the girls for retribution.
https://reason.com/blog/2018/10/17/seneca-valley-mean-girls-false-sexual

I'm going to shamelessly copy a reddit post to go over all they did

Five high school students, the School, the County, and the District Attorney are being sued for false allegations made by the students and the botched prosecution of the exonerated victim."

The girls are being sued on nine counts:

• Negligence (this goes for their parents as well for an extra count)
  • Civil conspiracy
  • Defamation
  • Malicious Prosecution ("[The girls] knowingly providing false statements to school and court officials and to prosecutors to initiate criminal prosecution of [the male student]")
  • Invasion of privacy
  • Intentional infliction of emotional distress (the male student is currently seeing a professional help because of said emotional distress)
  • Abuse of process
  • injurious falsehood (aka. Disparagement)
  • Fraudulent misrepresentations

The school district, the county, and the DA's office are being sued on two counts:

• Violation of the 14th amendment ("Defendants [...] denied [the male student] the equal protection of law based upon his gender.") (this is for the failure to prosecute the female students)
  • Title IX gender discrimination

A thing that isn't noted in the pic; he had to be homeschooled because he got bullied because of being a "predator"

Other highlights of idiocy include:

• The police never asked/looked at the girls phones to check their communications (one of the allegations were breaking and entering, though he had actually been invited).
  • The DA pressing the male student to take a plead deal which resulted in the punishment seen in the pic (he was put in the juvenile probation program for those curious).
  • A Forensic interviewer noticing the first girl's story changing during an interview.
  • They egged his house.
  • One of the girls provided contradictory accounts of the second rape.

As of the first of October following things has not happened:

• The male student's record has yet to be expunged. despite the DA's office promising to do so.
  • Both rape accusations were made through the school and caused severe harassment on school grounds, yet the school claims no misconduct had occurred at school.
  • The girls has seen no trouble for filing a false police report nor for lying to officers of the law.

The kid lost his job as a lifeguard. Went to Juvie because of this where he was jumped.

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinio...mit-falsely-accusing-boy/stories/201810150017
The lawsuit by Michael and Alecia Flood Jr. of Zelienople claims their son, identified as T.F., was discriminated against on the basis of his gender and was treated more harshly because he is a boy. He now is 17 and is home-schooled. His nightmare started in the summer of 2017. That's when Meghan Villegas, a college student who had attended Seneca Valley, told people of her plan to get T.F. fired from his summer job as a pool lifeguard. She began conspiring with a high school girl, identified as K.S., who falsely accused T.F. of sexually assaulting her at the pool. He was fired from his job. Later, after the school year was under way, another girl in the conspiracy circle — C.S. — told a guidance counselor that T.F. had entered her home and had sexually assaulted her there. As the investigation ensued and as T.F. attended school, he was bullied. One example: taped to his back — unknown to him — was the word PREDATOR. In the end, he was arrested by police and charged with criminal trespass, indecent assault, simple assault and harassment. He was removed from school one day in leg and wrist shackles and was confined to a juvenile detention facility for nine days.

By the end of last school year, the conspiracy had unraveled as the girls admitted their lies. Why? As one girl was quoted, according to the lawsuit: "I just don't like him ... I just don't like to hear him talk ... I don't like to look at him."

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
I've been slapped by a couple of girlfriends when they got drunk and mad. None of this surprises me really.
Got slapped by a female coworker at a holiday party. She apologized and said she was just playing the next day after the hangover lol. I didn't say anything offensive at all too. I wasn't drunk. She was. She was just trashed beyond belief.

But yes, there is normalization of female to male violence as funny and acceptable.

I'm glad there is a higher societal restraint and censure for male to female violence. It makes sense since men are statistically bigger, faster, and stronger.

However, we need to stop normalizing female to male violence as well. Violence should not be a communication tool.

Oct 25, 2017
I never experienced physical abuse from girls I was a teenager, though I didn't do much dating. Strangely enough, I did get hit a lot by girls my friends were dating. Maybe it's because my friends were all larger than I was?

I finished an anime on netflix full of violence against men called High Score Girl where the MC constantly gets punched, kicked and beated up by this girl
His mom also gives him Boston Crabs and he gets hit by cars on a regular basis.
... I'll fully admit I'm not sure where I'm going with this.

Oct 30, 2017
It's a complicated issue.

I'd definitely say I've witness a lot more violence against men from women than the other way around. Women sometimes slap, hit, push, scratch, punch because it is far more socially acceptable. I've also been in relationships where I was called every name under the book during an argument yet I had to walk on egg shells with what I said because it would be an utter meltdown.

Also, if you lay your hands on a woman in public, and unless you're the scariest looking dude in the room, there's probably going half a dozen guys about to kick the shit out of you. And perhaps rightly so.

But the converse is much scarier. Abusive men who control women to ignore their family and rationalize violence against them is just the lowest form of scumbaggery.

PaJeppy

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
I've also seen my fair share of women slapping and hitting guys during arguments. I'd say 99% of the time it was never enough to really hurt anyone, but I'm not sure that's really the point here.

My wife's hit me a few times during arguments. Can't say any of it was justified and I made it clear that's not something I'm willing to deal with.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, this has been culturally acceptable for many years now. I remember in middle school a girl kicked me in the balls because I turned her down when she asked me to be her date to a dance. Square in the nuts, as hard as she could. Apparently it was absolutely hilarious to everyone else.

Latpri

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
I understand the italics are an inner monologue. What I'm saying is, boys feeling like they have to suck up and take the abuse isn't the reason girls are abusing them.

Nobody is saying that. Nobody is posting a reason why the domestic violence happens and instead are posting explanations as to why men would be less likely to report the violence than women.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Toxic masculinity working as intended. Boys are meant to be strong and resilent and it's ok for girls to hit them because they can take it. What's a slap anyway when you're a man? After all girls are weaker than boys.

What's intriguing is it's entirely possible that the "Toxic masculinity" culture could backfire and produce a generation of pissed-off women and men who don't want to be labeled as weak so they just act like assholes and then everyone just hates each other.

Hell, we're already there, practically.

Deleted member 11008

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Violence shouldn't happen, regardless their intensity, because it's not only the physical damage infringed upon the victims, it's the psychological damage too.

Depths

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. I remember several instances of girls straight up slapping the shit out of dudes at school and dudes just taking it.

Oct 26, 2017
Nashville
To be honest, when I was in high school. A girl posted on Snapchat that she needed help and someone to talk to for help. I decided to snap her and ask if I could call her. She then sounded really pissy because she didn't want me to talk to her and then blocked me. As a result, I was confused and she talked shit about me at school for no reason assuming I wanted to like date her or something. I just wanted to help her feel better by discussing ways of improving the situation. It kinda took a emotional toll on me abuse some of the things she said about me hurt.

I think we can take this as a lesson, that sadly guys or girls can be terrible and we need to fight these abuses for the better.

Deleted member 27246

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Are you doubting it?

Two of my High school girlfriends where abusive and manipulative. Pure Evil.

No. What makes you think I am doubting it?

In my 7 years of high school the only girl violence I witnessed was the time I got slapped in the face by a friend. She was bending over to get her backpack and I was being a bit of a prick by giving her a push...she turned around instantly and slapped me. After that she was shocked and apologized like three times. I said "No need to apologize...it was my bad for pushing you". That's it. So I am just surprised by all these stories.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
Multiple times I've witnessed women hitting men in public or private spaces taking advantage of the fact that other men were around. My mother laid hands on her ex multiple times in my presence during domestic disputes knowing that her ex wouldn't dare lay a hand on her while I was present. I think a lot of the violence is rationalized by the women because they are know they are very unlikely to inflict grievous bodily harm upon a male. It allows them to be petty and inflict direct retribution for whatever perceived slight.

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In Middle School / High School, I definitely remember getting hit/slapped/smacked fairly regularly. It was definitely considered to be normal. Saying something a significant other didn't like was all it took. This was through multiple years. It wasn't really until after High School that I noticed it wasn't normal. I didn't go to college, so I don't really know if it continues on there.

Never really thought about it, definitely a double standard. If a guy hit a girl on the other hand, he would literally be surrounded. That kinda shit didn't fly.
There's a difference between getting hit by a bicycle and getting hit by a truck.

gutter_trash

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
one of my friends (guy) was attacked by his girlfriend with a knife,
he had to hold and restrain her to get her to drop the knife.

he called the cops..... then the cops arrived but took arrested him instead and placed him in the back of cruiser.

he wasn't charged "duh" after they got the whole story but even cops will immediately arrested the guy first.

*when he was sitting in the back of the cop car, he started singing "bad boy, bad boys, whacha gonna do?" cops started laughing their ass off

Powdered Egg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 weeks): Sexism and victim blaming; previous infractions
But the intention is the same. Hurt the other person.
Yeah, I was just explaining the double standard. It's a false equivalency to equate the violence 1 to 1. Barring weapons, the average bloke should properly defend themself against the attack.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Yeah, I was just explaining the double standard. It's a false equivalency to equate the violence 1 to 1. Barring weapons, the average bloke should properly defend themself against the attack.

I wasn't stating whether I think it's right or wrong, just stating my experience. It makes sense to me, especially in the context.

LL_Decitrig

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
I don't doubt that women attack men. Why would a man not take steps to make sure that never happens again?

I attended a male-only secondary school and didn't date (I was into casual sex with guys at the time.) I worked for a few decades in mixed-sex offices, and never experienced or witnessed violence from men or women; it would have been unthinkable.

I've raised children, who went through quite turbulent phases in which they could resort to physical violence. One of my adult kids is severely mentally ill and may resort to violence while undergoing extreme mental pain.

But I don't think I see the kind of violence being described here, from men or women, boys or girls, who are in control. Wouldn't a person being attacked just instinctively start to question the assault?

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
one of my friends (guy) was attacked by his girlfriend with a knife,
he had to hold and restrain her to get her to drop the knife.

he called the cops..... then the cops arrived but took arrested him instead and placed him in the back of cruiser.

he wasn't charged "duh" after they got the whole story but even cops will immediately arrested the guy first.

*when he was sitting in the back of the cop car, he started singing "bad boy, bad boys, whacha gonna do?" cops started laughing their ass off

Yep, standard procedure is to arrest the male in these situations to "defuse" the situation. Fucked up.

Sep 28, 2018

I was very briefly dating this girl about 6 years ago, we went to a party and another girl accidentally spilled wine on my girls lap... The girl who spilled was very apologetic and helped clean it and the girl I was with was saying 'oh no it's fine, it's nothing.' but from knowing her well enough I could see she was fuming. Anyway, the girl who spilled wine left the kitchen and the moment she left the girl I was dating turned to me and slapped me with full force in the face.
I said 'what the fuck?' and she stormed out...

Later she came back and apologised; basically said she saw red and needed to get her anger out. I accepted the apology and haven't given it much thought since... I only told my best friend and he thought it was hilarious, hell, even I did when I was retelling it... I wouldn't of even dreamt of reporting it... And if it happened again now, well I probably wouldn't again. I guess as a man you just feel like you're supposed to take it.

The girl and I broke up later just mutually and unrelated to this incident

Anyway, that's anecdotal but I feel like most guys wouldn't say anything.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I don't doubt that women attack men. Why would a man not take steps to make sure that never happens again?

I attended a male-only secondary school and didn't date (I was into casual sex with guys at the time.) I worked for a few decades in mixed-sex offices, and never experienced or witnessed violence from men or women; it would have been unthinkable.

I've raised children, who went through quite turbulent phases in which they could resort to physical violence. One of my adult kids is severely mentally ill and may resort to violence while undergoing extreme mental pain.

But I don't think I see the kind of violence being described here, from men or women, boys or girls, who are in control. Wouldn't a person being attacked just instinctively start to question the assault?
Why wouldn't a women take steps to make sure it didn't happen again? What a dumb victim blaming comment