• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well, I know I for one have been waiting for this for a month or so! Here's hoping this thread stays civil, let's enjoy some wholesome YT content together:

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's been a while since their last video. I'll watch later.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way. Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town. Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

they snuck that time intro in nicely

Last edited:

Zyae

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Mar 17, 2020
He has one of the most grating voices ive ever heard.

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I'm 3 minutes and I gotta say Girlfriend Reviews truly is the best gaming channel on Youtube by far

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
He's absolutely not wrong about many of those annoyances that could easily be QOL changes in future patches or games.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
That Interstellar reference is a perfect analogy to the time warping debate. Some people just want to jump into the blackhole and everyone else is like why would you do that?

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
'I believe you get your ass kicked for saying something like that.' LOL

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
That was so funny lol. I don't understand how they come up with all the clips and stuff they use.

Interstellar especially, what a stroke of fucking genius

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but many of them *are* AC. So, good luck with that.

I don't know, I think the 2 biggest points that he's 100% right on are how convoluted it is to switch between tools and how their should be a ticket counter at the damn airport. If you have a vaulting pole or ladder in your inventory, approaching a river or cliff should either automatically trigger their use or require one button to activate, they're basically the same function as HMs in Pokemon. If Gamefreak had this figured out years ago, theirs no reason why Nintendo shouldn't be behind.

OP
OP
metsallica

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know, I think the 2 biggest points that he's 100% right on are how convoluted it is to switch between tools and how their should be a ticket counter at the damn airport. If you have a vaulting pole or ladder in your inventory, approaching a river or cliff should either automatically trigger their use or require one button to activate, they're basically the same function as HMs in Pokemon. If Gamefreak had this figured out years ago, theirs no reason why Nintendo shouldn't be behind.
Yeah, those were definitely good points. I was thinking more about his pace of play complaints. AC just isn't for him, which is cool.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a terribly dull game. But I enjoy watching my wife playing it. She also is very invested in it and whenever I watch her she is either catching spiders of fish ... she already put 150 hours into this, lol. I can't play this for myself but I like how charming the game is.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
I lost it when he got to the Bunny Day event and then the girlfriend takes over for the blatant promo lol

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

Regarding this point it would be problematic to make it automatic. Players can now modify the terrain so the game can't automatically assume you are crossing the river when you want to modify it. A single button press as your alternative suggestion would be ideal.

Slipknot666

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
User Banned (permanent): Sexist rhetoric, long history of bigotry and offensive commentary
I saw her Gears Of Wars review and it was total garbage.

"Girls are stupid and too moronic to play this game but luckily the game has a robot that let me enjoy the game by only pressing a bottom at a time while my super smart boyfriend played the game normally"

Jan 2, 2018
"Number one: Why do I have to go in the community center and use this thing to buy a plane ticket? How about the airport sells those? And we don't involve a snack machine all the way across town in this transaction."

This line killed me, so good! His delivery!

"Girls are stupid and too moronic to play this game but luckily the game has a robot that let me enjoy the game by only pressing a bottom at a time while my super smart boyfriend played the game normally"

What? She isn't representing all girls/women on earth, she just shares her personal opinion. What's wrong with that?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019

Come on now, obviously she wasn't insinuating that "girls" in general can't play Gears of War. She, as an individual, is not experienced at action games and as such greatly enjoyed that she could participate in the game with the robot.

Dec 2, 2017
Very cute but it's also kinda obvious why Shelby does the presenting normally. That arrested development gag made me snort with laughter.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Another great video. I agree with his QoL points but they're by no means a deal breaker. I wonder if he stopped before they patched the Bunny Day issue or just thought it not really worth mentioning as either way the initial frustration was there.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Very cute but it's also kinda obvious why Shelby does the presenting normally. That arrested development gag made me snort with laughter.

Yup. The writing and cutaways where on point, but Shelby's performance is on another level and what set the channel apart and you felt it missing here. Still really enjoyed it because at this point I feel like I know them well enough to appreciate a change of pace

TXULJ

Banned
Apr 12, 2019
I mean he's not wrong, and Nintendo learns at a snail pace, but their games are still fun as hell!

thenexus6

Oct 26, 2017
UK
'I believe you get your ass kicked for saying something like that.' LOL
Awesome Office Space pull.

mrw-i-see-allot-of-office-space-gifs-112348.gif

Acetown

Oct 28, 2017

I think it's fine that there's a little bit of pain involved in vaulting over a river or climbing a cliff, otherwise there wouldn't any point in constructing all those expensive-ass bridges and ramps.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think it's fine that there's a little bit of pain involved in vaulting over a river or climbing a cliff, otherwise there wouldn't any point in constructing all those expensive-ass bridges and ramps.

Constructing them frees up the inventory slots you would've otherwise had filled with a ladder and pole.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
the online functionality of this game is like some late PS2 early PS3 era, it's wild

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017

Yep, that's the point. It is supposed to be cumbersome, the game makes you want to improve. It's great.

Oct 28, 2019

You're projecting your feelings on to something the author didn't intended that way. Maybe you should ask yourself, "Why was this my main takeaway?"

Thatguy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle WA
I'm with Boyfriend on this. I dodged this franchise for years, knowing full well its high popularity. Every time a new one came out I would watch a few reviews and think 'what is this? I don't get it. You must have to play it a ton to get it.' ...or worse things. It took a pandemic outbreak and stay home order combined with friend pressure to buy this. And annoyingly, it only confirmed my every suspicion about this franchise I ever had. It's a lifeless 3d model collecting machine than goes on for a really really long time. Through the life of the game you acquire more and more props to be placed and never thought of again. The final goal being an island full of 3D props and rudimentary animal characters with a couple animations at best. It's a game of quantity over quality. Not that the game isn't polished...it is. But there really isn't a videogame here. You're not tested. You don't need to think at all. There is no drama, pressure, suspense, tension, or any feeling at all. It's just a mountain of 3D model collecting covered in cutesy jibberish talk and buckets of text that drags on more than it entertains. Its like playing with a doll house (or later duplo blocks with the Minecraft super lite terrain editor) So yeah...not for me, but at least I understand the franchise a little better now.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My fiancé is addicted to the game and still agrees with near everything. I don't play it, but she does show me a lot of convoluted shit and gameplay elements that are not explained and still generally uncomfortable. The tool selection, how creating your own patterns is unreliable because the color in the editor doesn't really represent what you'll actually see in the game, the clunkiness of the net and fishing, how the multiplayer is broken (that airplane animation every time that blocks all players in a server? what is this, 1992?), and so on.

I totally feel this review, especially when he says he's incredibly happy for her because this game is pure joy. But boy does it have some real annoying stuff, haha. Excellent role-reversal and funny review.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
I was thinking about picking this up cause of all the hype around it but watching this video it looks like every gameplay element I loathe all wrapped up into one game

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm with Boyfriend on this. I dodged this franchise for years, knowing full well its high popularity. Every time a new one came out I would watch a few reviews and think 'what is this? I don't get it. You must have to play it a ton to get it.' ...or worse things. It took a pandemic outbreak and stay home order combined with friend pressure to buy this. And annoyingly, it only confirmed my every suspicion about this franchise I ever had. It's a lifeless 3d model collecting machine than goes on for a really really long time. Through the life of the game you acquire more and more props to be placed and never thought of again. The final goal being an island full of 3D props and rudimentary animal characters with a couple animations at best. It's a game of quantity over quality. Not that the game isn't polished...it is. But there really isn't a videogame here. You're not tested. You don't need to think at all. There is no drama, pressure, suspense, tension, or any feeling at all. It's just a mountain of 3D model collecting covered in cutesy jibberish talk and buckets of text that drags on more than it entertains. Its like playing with a doll house. So yeah...not for me, but at least I understand the franchise a little better now.

Did I just take the redpill?

Dever

Dec 25, 2019
I'm with Boyfriend on this. I dodged this franchise for years, knowing full well its high popularity. Every time a new one came out I would watch a few reviews and think 'what is this? I don't get it. You must have to play it a ton to get it.' ...or worse things. It took a pandemic outbreak and stay home order combined with friend pressure to buy this. And annoyingly, it only confirmed my every suspicion about this franchise I ever had. It's a lifeless 3d model collecting machine than goes on for a really really long time. Through the life of the game you acquire more and more props to be placed and never thought of again. The final goal being an island full of 3D props and rudimentary animal characters with a couple animations at best. It's a game of quantity over quality. Not that the game isn't polished...it is. But there really isn't a videogame here. You're not tested. You don't need to think at all. There is no drama, pressure, suspense, tension, or any feeling at all. It's just a mountain of 3D model collecting covered in cutesy jibberish talk and buckets of text that drags on more than it entertains. Its like playing with a doll house. So yeah...not for me, but at least I understand the franchise a little better now.

My impression of this series is the same although I haven't played it... At the same time, you can't really argue with success. I know people who post about this game constantly on social media. So it has to be doing something right to make the pleasure centers of these people's brains go haywire.

Oct 25, 2017
This game is seeing some strange takes the likes of which not seen since BoTW.

'Yeah it's good.....for a Nintendo game'.

'Actually Animal Crossing was never good'.

It'd be like me blundering into FF7 threads and asking why the new Mass Effect game went anime.

No this isn't directed at anybody in particular, it's just the unfortunate side effect of all the hype the game is getting.