• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Not many care. I remember a thread about men being tricked into having kids and some couldn't help themselves to make it seem like nothing because women deal with it a lot more.

IIRC, the point was not to denigrate men who get tricked into having kids, but more to note that portraying it as a "man's problem" felt a little weird since both men and women can perpetuate that.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Imma go out on a limb and say that the reason it hasn't been talked about by the media is that they didn't even know it happened. Most of the gaming media doesn't pay mind to streamers, though this does seem like something they'd cover if they got enough info. Trouble is, the guy probably won't want to talk because that's how it usually is with victims of abuse, especially men. It doesn't help that the first site that would cover this sort of thing (Kotaku) is... going through some stuff right now.

Both women are obviously in the wrong here. I get that Pokimane has a stream to maintain but... when some real stuff happens on it, you can always afford to drop the veil and address it. It only gets worse if you don't.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Mainstream media doesn't follow streamers outside of the ones with major contracts and TV deals.

If this happened on ESPN there would be a multi-day shitstorm. Still, it is disturbing that so many in the comments are willing to say that "he probably had it coming."

I've been baited? Dont how to say it? Where someone looks like they are genuinely trying to get you to hit them back ( on multiple occasions) but your not bout that jail life ( and you know infinitely better not to hit a woman)

Il leave it at that.

Not the time nor the place guy.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
People trying to dogpile Deepwater for making pretty banal observations.

But it bull to say its just men or the Patriarchy pushing this line when its been everyone, most feminists haven been trying to pretend this problem doesn't exist or is minimal at best for decades.

There are feminist groups that run domestic violence shelters for men so I don't know where you got that idea.

Oct 25, 2017
I just skimmed through an 11 minute video of the most boring ass game and learned absolutely nothing of what you're talking about.

Please, for the love of fkn god, give timestamps or something.

Sorry for spazzing, I'm just grumpy and holy shit are games you dont play not fun to watch completely out of context.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I just skimmed through an 11 minute video of the most boring ass game and learned absolutely nothing of what you're talking about.

Sorry for spazzing, I'm just grumpy and holy shit are games you dont play not fun to watch completely out of context.
It's literally the beginning of the YouTube video.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Sorry for spazzing
, I'm just grumpy and holy shit are games you dont play not fun to watch completely out of context.

Oh fuck off with that

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why it's impossible to point out abuse without virtue signaling that nobody cares because it's happening to men.

im sure the same men who are in the comments trolling like assholes about "we dont know the whole story" would be the same ones doing it if the genders were reversed. Because spoiler alert; it's usually men who create an environment where you are shamed for being abused, regardless of who's abusing you.

But you have to poison the well by trying to insinuate that people who would care about a woman being abused don't care about a man being abused by a woman. You don't have to bait us like that.

shit like this. You can go look at the tweets and see who are making the shitty reactions. do you actually care about the abuse? Or do you care about some culture war

Yeah, this.

Abuse is bad, and this moment isn't some gotcha, OP.

Parenegade

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Mainstream media doesn't follow streamers outside of the ones with major contracts and TV deals.

If this happened on ESPN there would be a multi-day shitstorm. Still, it is disturbing that so many in the comments are willing to say that "he probably had it coming."

Not the time nor the place guy.

Damn so what does it mean when the main stream media doesn't react to a streamer like Pokimane?

You know...one with major contracts and TV deals.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
IIRC, the point was not to denigrate men who get tricked into having kids, but more to note that portraying it as a "man's problem" felt a little weird since both men and women can perpetuate that.

I'm sure some posters felt that way and it might be a worthwhile point (though it takes the pessemistic approach of assuming that the OP doesn't care about it happening to women which was not implied or inferred).

But the first reply that derailed that entire thread absolutely denigrated men and refused the idea that it was both a man and woman's problem. It was along the lines of, and I'm paraphrasing here; "women have it worse, so what?".

Yeah I tried to read some of the comments/tweets and after seeing two garbage tweets like the one below I stopped.

I'd bet a lot of money both him and her in that tweet there abuse their partners.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
Fuck abusers. Full stop.
...because men don't take it seriously
Thank you! It's super weird seeing people not get this. No one disputes that abuse is bad. It's bad. Period. But also this entire scenario exists because of toxic masculinity. Because when women get abused it gets ignored (despite what some people seem to think). And when men get abused it's part "look at this puss" part "mEn DoNt GeT tAkEn SeRiOuSlY lIkE wOmEn". Shit is so obvious and people don't see it.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
There was barely a tone change in his voice too, seemed used to it.
Yea that shit is scary. I hope he gets out of that situation.

It can happen to anyone, hell I've been in an abusive relationship like that before. And you know what? If he'd have said "Sorry, I'm not gonna play with women on stream because of my wife" or whatever Ninja said back then people would've shit on him too for being "shitty" despite just having a crazy partner that'd go off because of it lol
The solution, then, is not to cut off entire groups and genders. It's to stop sticking your dick in crazy or not allowing yourself to be dicked by crazy. The world is too big and there are too many fish in the sea for people to feel like they must stay in an abusive relationship or one that could potentially turn violent or abusive because of platonic friendships and doing normal life things. Fuck that shit.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I think this type of abuse is even more common than you guys think. Era would probably call the cops if you all knew the shit I go through with my wife. I know it's wrong and it shouldn't happen, but I accept it in my relationship. My wife grew up in a conservative country with fucked-up views of gender roles and the level of abuse that is acceptable. I just take it in because the good outweighs the bad in our marriage, but you can bet I'll be teaching my son Western values when it comes to gender roles and abusive relationships.

My family are conservative immigrants, and this thing with your child will not go as well as you might imagine. I rarely speak on people's marriages and relationships, but this has disaster written all over it.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
In portugal this is actually a relatively unknown problem. Violence against men is generally donwplayed specially if done by a woman.

I hope he can get help.

SapientWolf

Nov 6, 2017
I mean women don't take it seriously either. Domestic abuse of women by men is definitely a huge problem and more common, but it's a lot easier for women to find people who are supportive of the issue if they speak out about it then it is for men. They're both important issues that manifest themselves differently
Society doesn't take it seriously, regardless of gender. Men can choke out of their girlfriend who's half their size and go run for touchdowns the next week. If people don't give a shit about that then a slap isn't even going to register.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Damn so what does it mean when the main stream media doesn't react to a streamer like Pokimane?

You know...one with major contracts and TV deals.

What part of "If this happened on ESPN there would be a multi-day shitstorm" is unclear from my post? The only streamer I can think of in recent times that made mainstream news solely for things that happened on stream/youtube is pewdiepie. Twitch gaming is huge but its not a part of mainstream culture in the US.

Vampirolol

Dec 13, 2017
Abuse is abuse and it's up to men to start listening to feminists, who also fight toxic masculinity, the same shit responsible for these types of relationships.

Rampage

Oct 27, 2017
Metro Detriot
Because many men don't actually care about abused men and try to help them, they just want to downplay the abuse women get ( which is way more) and they care even less when it's other men abusing men.

Sadly, this is true. I remember on the other board, after numerous women abuse threads, guys "complaining what about men?", there was a thread dedicated to male abuse. It barely got 5 pages before disappearing forever. Worst, there were victims in that thread- who barely got attention.

On a male dominated board- it should be easy to multiple threads. But even on ERA, that is not the case.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I tried to read some of the comments/tweets and after seeing two garbage tweets like the one below I stopped.

You can hear it and him saying "oww... owww" afterwards.

I don't see anything in that tweet that justifies physical violence. I don't care how fed up with your SO you are, you can't fuckin' slap them. What is this, a Lifetime original movie?

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know why it's impossible to point out abuse without virtue signaling that nobody cares because it's happening to men.

im sure the same men who are in the comments trolling like assholes about "we dont know the whole story" would be the same ones doing it if the genders were reversed. Because spoiler alert; it's usually men who create an environment where you are shamed for being abused, regardless of who's abusing you.

But you have to poison the well by trying to insinuate that people who would care about a woman being abused don't care about a man being abused by a woman. You don't have to bait us like that.

shit like this. You can go look at the tweets and see who are making the shitty reactions. do you actually care about the abuse? Or do you care about some culture war
Men who are abuse victims also have a difficult time receiving support. And being a man directly plays into that, because of toxic masculinity.

People who subscribe to toxic gender norms are (probably) mostly the ones who dismiss abuse of both men and women, yes- but that doesn't mean it happens for the same reasons, or that it's not worth exploring.

Frankly, this is a very dismissive post, because you're coming at everyone trying to talk about how men suffer from abuse and being denigrated for it and accusing them of going after a culture war.

This is all a part of how patriarchy harms men and women in different ways.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Men who are abuse victims also have a difficult time receiving support. And being a man directly plays into that, because of toxic masculinity.

People who subscribe to toxic gender norms are (probably) mostly the ones who dismiss abuse of both men and women, yes- but that doesn't mean it happens for the same reasons, or that it's not worth exploring.

Frankly, this is a very dismissive post, because you're coming at everyone trying to talk about how men suffer from abuse and being denigrated for it and accusing them of going after a culture war.

This is all a part of how patriarchy harms men and women in different ways.

Ive not once ITT dismissed how men are shamed for being abused. I'm dismissing shitty framing that uses abuse against women as a springboard

Deleted member 4346

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is domestic abuse. Just disgusting the types of double standards that men deal with when it comes to violence in relationships.

Dbltap

Oct 31, 2017
Woodinville, WA
I had to find a new nurse to come into my home. I'm extremely disabled and can't really defend myself. My nurse started having anger issues which manifested in scratching me and slaps. The verbal abuse was really bad also.

Cuburger

Oct 28, 2017
Fucked up, its not like the dude ever reach Poki's status. So why the jealousy?

Idk maybe there's more behind the story.
There is not much more to the story, at least in terms of Pokimane and the guy she was playing with, than that they were playing together. She was playing random duos trying to get in-game reactions to her new emote and ended up playing a few games with the guy while the girlfriend seemed to get increasingly jealous that they were playing and chatting together, even wanting to get on the mic but refusing to talk to Poki at one point.

Most of the interaction was in one of her recent videos: (5:30 I've timestamped it)

The girlfriend just seems like a really jealous person.

N64Controller

Nov 2, 2017
Filtering who your SO can or can't interact with is extremely toxic and abusive. Even without the physical abuse layered over it. The physical abuse makes it even worse.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I wonder how many people will read the title and go "that's fucked up!"

Then realize it's a man being hit by a woman for playing with a woman and society says that's more acceptable and comical.

Kind of like my friend just did.

"that's so fucking sick! Why aren't people talking about this?!"
Me: about what?
"Oh never mind. Ha. I misread it. It's a guy."

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Ive not once ITT dismissed how men are shamed for being abused. I'm dismissing shitty framing that uses abuse against women as a springboard

I mean you're right on the money. We certainly can't fix this issue if the go-to stance when witnessing examples of IPV/domestic abuse is to make it an anti-feminist talking point.

It ignores how women who experience abuse are treated. They're also ignored, mocked, threatened, etc.

It ignores the ways that abuse is normalized in our culture by toxic masculinity. This is arguably a little tautological, since toxic masculinity is defined by using abusive behavior as a means to gain social credibility and power. The behavior is reinforcing, though -- the power is then used as leverage to justify bullying, etc. Yes, men and women can and do buy into this issue. The consequences are felt (negatively) by both genders, though not always in the same ways.

This is also a problem that feminists are actually addressing. The power dynamics are not weighted toward all men equally (especially when we start throwing things like race into the mix) but the power dynamics significantly favor specific men who are able to engage in a lot of abusive behavior. In these cases the recourse female victims have is typically null as well, and why these people are able to engage in abuse for decades without accountability.

I don't know that the gender ratios regarding abuse is equal (I know Lord of Ostia's shared some statistics that do make me question my previous views that abuse is borne significantly more by women, but I'm always hesitant to shift my worldview on the basis of a single study) but I do know that the gender parity on people with enough power to hold abusers accountable has skewed male for a very long time and those people don't care about victims regardless of gender (see also: president 'grab em by the pussy').

What we have seen in the video is a problem, but it is not the fault of women as a class. Anyone claiming otherwise is making the problem worse by confusing what the causes are and what needs to change to hold people accountable.

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
What a fucking dickhead. But why am I not surprised there's "We don't know the full story guys, the domestic abuse could be justified" on Twitter straight away. He needs to ditch her.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
Pretty messed up, guy needs to ditch her.

Don't stay with an abusive partner people, there is no excuse for assault.

Ryaaan14

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
Yep u could even tell by the tone of his voice he's fucking scared of her. That shit is toxic as hell and hopefully he can escape it sooner than later.