• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Techno

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

crying-wrestling-fan.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I do think on some level people are being a bit obtuse to try and pretend that sexualizing a fictional character isn't at least sort of sexualizing the real flesh and blood person who looks exactly like the character because they play them.
And also doing those kinda of jokes with fictional characters tends to normalise them to be done with real women as well. Like I said earlier, I don't think John Boyega is a bad person due to it, he just made a crappy sexist joke, he messed up a little, it happens. What more annoys me is the people who are arguing it's not sexist and acting like those who find it sexist are stuck up prudes who aren't any fun. And it's basically all male posters rushing to defend it. As always.
I feel like there IS a discussion to be had here on the normalization of language carrying over to the real world. But that's so divorced from what the thread started as, and what the bad faith actors have tried to make it into.

For instance, if OP did something as small as posted "crass" instead of "gross", you would have a significantly milder thread, where the nuances of this discussion could actually be argued. I personally don't think "laying pipe" is sexist because it reduces both the male and female organs to objects, but within the context of a male dominated society, I can see how it reinforce "stereotypical" male thought, while downplaying "stereotypical" female thought.

But yea, I feel like this thread wasn't honest from the jump, so I don't know if this discussion is gonna go anywhere.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
*what I thought you meant

And this would be like putting a fire out with gasoline

I mean, if he said that after this, probably.

But, if he'd said that first, among crazy ReyLo shippers, absolutely. But speaking personally, I would've looked, shrugged, and moved on, like I did when he made the comments about his issues with TLJ.

Jun 26, 2018
Think about how much racist, sexist toxic garbage all the actors on Star Wars have had to endure for the last few years (and probably will for many more years to come).

Maybe consider leaving your obsessions with these actors, and their slightly rude tweets, behind in 2019 where they belong.

happy new year, everyone, fuck Star Wars and fuck Disney :)

-COOLIO-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): mansplaining, mocking a woman for her concerns of sexism
It's not just talking about sex, it's a joke how it doesn't matter how the women feels about someone they cared about it, it's all about getting a dick in a women, cus you know, that's what it's all about, fuck women being people with feelings. It's a bad sexist joke, it doesn't make John Boyega a bad person, he
s just a guy that slipped up and made a crappy sexist joke. And it doesn't matter that the female character ain't real, it's the kind of crass objectifying jokes women have to hear all the time and they just ain't funny.
it's none of those things, you're just deciding that it is.

this take is as off as me saying your whole post is actually about how the moon landing was a hoax

QuinchoOsito

Oct 10, 2018
Why are so many people ignoring the "You are a genius." part of the original comment? He might as well have responded with a picture of the dude tapping his head

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Eh. It was basically the closest the films had to a pairing with actual on-screen chemistry. Some of the lines in TFA definitely would've been read as unambiguous ship-teases if done by a het couple, and, if you're going to narratively steal so much from the OG trilogy, expecting the other two parts of the main trio to hook up would've fit right in.

I get what you're trying to say, but it still would've made more sense than most of the decisions the films actually made.

Eh nothing. Finn was clearly pining after Rey in TFA and TLJ.

The Poe stuff was fans wanting more than anything that was actually supported onscreen. Reylo sucks too though, but at least Rian started seeding stuff for it in TLJ.

NTGYK

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
So done with eras hot takes and star Wars stuff.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Eh nothing. Finn was clearly pining after Rey in TFA and TLJ.

The Poe stuff was fans wanting more than anything that was actually supported onscreen. Reylo sucks too though, but at least Rian started seeding stuff for it in TLJ.
I never been comfortable when folks take shit to far, especially with the thinking "Two people get along, clearly they want to bone", That is not rational or healthy thinking.

Nephrahim

Jun 9, 2018
I'm not a self-hating Star Wars fan, but I AM a self-hating Reylo shipper, so I fully support Boyega making fun of me.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I see Boyega is going all in. I don't agree with his comments about the Kelly Marie Tran situation, but honestly, anyone calling shippers' shit is a-ok. Specially because I don't think he's being offensive, just stating how little he cares.

Darryl M R

The Spectacular PlayStation-Man
Oct 25, 2017
John Boyega bringing in the new year by exposing weird nerds, and I am here for it.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
Why is ending this decade with another Star Wars shitstorm seems oddly appropriate?

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
It's not just talking about sex, it's a joke how it doesn't matter how the women feels about someone they cared about it, it's all about getting a dick in a women, cus you know, that's what it's all about, fuck women being people with feelings. It's a bad sexist joke, it doesn't make John Boyega a bad person, he
s just a guy that slipped up and made a crappy sexist joke. And it doesn't matter that the female character ain't real, it's the kind of crass objectifying jokes women have to hear all the time and they just ain't funny.

it's just a euphemism for sex lmao

and like all sex related euphemisms, can it be used in a derogatory, misogynist way? yes. of course. but you're reading so much excessive garbage into it that has no bearing with how the phrase is commonly used. complete nonsense

Oct 25, 2017
One of the weird things about this discussion is that outside of nutty method actors, actors must be especially good at separating characters from actors otherwise their lives would be confusing at best and nightmares at worst.
Actors aren't the sole creators of their characters, it's a collaborative effort to bring them to life. If there wasn't that line, directing and writing would be a nightmare

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
I mean, 'laying the pipe' is inherently sexual. If he had said something like 'Rey will be coming home to Finn after she'd done crying over Rey', only the crazy ReyLo shippers would likely have an issue with it.

I mean, from what I can see, it's also making a lot of female Star War fans uncomfortable that he's unnecessarilngly sexualizing Rey for a crude joke.

Like I said - I don't think Boyega is some inhuman monster. He's a guy who said a dumb thing, rashly, because he's upset at other stuff.
I agree it's crass in the sense that it puts having sex as the victory which is very much a male centric ego point of view. Is that what people mean by sexualizing Rey? I don't think acknowledging sexual attraction in itself is bad.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
I never been comfortable when folks take shit to far, especially with the thinking "Two people get along, clearly they want to bone", That is not rational or healthy thinking.
I'm so mad that these characters didn't fuck. Did they not see the slowed down gif of Poe!?

People headcannoing ships from nothing and then getting pissed at the creators is always super dumb.

Not once did Poe or Finn seem like they were gonna be together, you dang weirdos.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Why are so many people ignoring the "You are a genius." part of the original comment? He might as well have responded with a picture of the dude tapping his head

Because then the whole argument deflates when you remove any and all context. He was clearly mocking the idea and used a crass figure of speech. He wasn't expressing his desire in "laying pipe" with Daisy or even Rey. He was making FUN of that line of thinking.

This is why people are pushing back. I don't see how you could red that thread and come to some of the conclusion presented here.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Because it's totally sexism and not a sarcastic joke at all and we're totally a ok going after this black guy for his harsh comments and totally not racist an any way shape form or suggestion.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
The fact that people are genuinely trying to take this comment and use it to paint Boyega as unprofessional and sexist is fucking ridiculous.

What is it with people's rampant desire to absolutely bury a good person? We just had this happen to Terry Crews the other day and a few weeks back we even had a thread about Michelle Obama of all people over her comments about George Bush. Come on now.

rras1994

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like there IS a discussion to be had here on the normalization of language carrying over to the real world. But that's so divorced from what the thread started as, and what the bad faith actors have tried to make it into.

For instance, if OP did something as small as posted "crass" instead of "gross", you would have a significantly milder thread, where the nuances of this discussion could actually be argued. I personally don't think "laying pipe" is sexist because it reduces both the male and female organs to objects, but within the context of a male dominated society, I can see how it reinforce "stereotypical" male thought, while downplaying "stereotypical" female thought.

But yea, I feel like this thread wasn't honest from the jump, so I don't know if this discussion is gonna go anywhere.
I can see some posters being defensive because John Boyega does get piled on for really small things, and we all know he's going to face a lot more vitirol just because he's a black man, so I can see some posters being overly defensive because there are people out there ready to latch on to anything a black man does even a little wrong just to bring him down. That's ahy I said it's a small thing really in the grand scheme of things, and I don't think John Boyeag is a bad person over it, it's a sucky joke.

But that's only going to apply to some of the posters in this thread, and I've seen enough threads in this forum about sexism or heck just women posters opinions, that even when the OP is perfectly worded, or there isn't the background of John Boyega being piled on it the past, thjere would still be a flood of guys coming out to downplay women's concerns and insinuate you are being a crazy irrational women for having a problem with it. I already have had a poster compare my concerns with the joke to the moon landing "conspiracy" in this very thread. It's expected at this point.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so mad that these characters didn't fuck. Did they not see the slowed down gif of Poe!?

People headcannoing ships from nothing and then getting pissed at the creators is always super dumb.

Not once did Poe or Finn seem like they were gonna be together, you dang weirdos.
Yeah, nothign wrong with wanting something, but when it becomes a need, then an imperative....then you need to step back

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Because then the whole argument deflates when you remove any and all context. He was clearly mocking the idea and used a crass figure of speech. He wasn't expressing his desire in "laying pipe" with Daisy or even Rey. He was making FUN of that line of thinking.

This is why people are pushing back. I don't see how you could red that thread and come to some of the conclusion presented here.

The entire context original starts from him tweeting the pic having a laugh at Reylo. Like it's not even a bit unclear he is just having a laugh at shippers and dunking on how stupid the whole thing is. Is laying pipe crass? Obviously, it's suppose to be. If guy was trying to be 100% puritan he wouldn't tweet a fucking spoiler to a movie he is in or have dropped about 15 hilarious gifs dunking on obnoxious fans.

Are peeps even for real here? (I agree with you just to clarify)

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (3 Weeks): Inflammatory false equivalences surrounding gender and race across a series of posts
Because it's totally sexism and not a sarcastic joke at all and we're totally a ok going after this black guy for his harsh comments and totally not racist an any way shape form or suggestion.

So, if it's OK for black men to make harsh sarcastic jokes about women, then it should be totally OK for women to make racist jokes about black guys, as long as they're sarcastic and if you criticiaze them alll, that just proves you're a sexist, right?

It was so sexist, in fact, that apparently Daisy doesn't give a damn. She was so offended she must have just circled back around to the other side and is now fine with it.

I mean, putting aside we have no actual proof of this, even if Daisy is OK with this, there's likely plenty of female Star War fans upset with Boyega making a gross joke about a female character in Star Wars.

Now, I realize, many of them probably aren't True Fans, but their opinions matter as well.

You do realize that just because you repeat the word sexist over and over again it doesn't actually make it sexist right?

Plenty of people in this thread seem to think repeating 'racist' over and over again makes something racist.

Status
Not open for further replies.