• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Boyega is just fucking with people.

Finn sleeps with Rey in canon now.

Sorry people.

John Boyega Star Wars Fan Fiction does what Disney Won't.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Lunar wolf right now
obi-wan-has-theohyou-know.gif

That's my secret, giancarlo123x, I always have the high ground.

Also congrats, you inspired my choice for my next avatar. Thank you, lol.

The same. I could care less about the laying pipe comment. Crude joke, but didn't spend any moment of time pondering it.

That's why I'm asking, though....WHY did you make this thread? Were you like, "Shit, people might not have Twitter, and I don't even have it to follow the replies, I best make a thread so ….."

You even said -

You can't even get the context of what you regurgitated up here, so why did you make the thread?

That too and I wanted to see people's ideas on it.

I did get context but through other people's tweets.

Oct 25, 2017
He's nearly a decade older and has had to deal with the press, fans, etc. for a much longer time than Boyega has. I'm sure Boyega in 2030 will think he said a dumb thing, like a lot of 30-somethings feel about things they said were in their mid-20's.

He can push back in a whole lot of ways without saying dumb sexist things. I have zero problems w/ his quote about Star Wars romance or even his dislike of TLJ, even if I disagree with him.

Or you know, decades of gay people have zero representation of their relationships on screen and having to be hidden through coded things like 'close male relationships. I have zero opinion about Finn/Poe (because I felt no actual romantic feelings toward any relationships in the sequels), but there's a vast gap between 'I don't think Finn/Poe should've been a gay relationship' and 'all gay shippers just think of their ships as two rutting animals.'

It's an off collar joke he made as a comment on someone else instagram. It's extremely mild at that. The way people have been blowing this out of proportion is insane.

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
This is ridiculous.

The fans are the biggest problem with Star Wars. Not the actors and not Disney.

Oct 27, 2017
There's more in this OP than Boyega's comment. This is what people latched onto the most though.

It's not horrendous just gross.

Like, how do you rank this? People are acting like I'm saying this is the height of barbarism and it's like a 1 or 2 /10 on the gross scale for me.
You made sure to highlight Boyega's comment in the title but are surprised that's what people are talking about?

Merc_

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The funny thing is that people who announce that they're blocking someone are the people who can't bear to read a topic and not look at the posts of the people they blocked.

So, despite your announcement, I look forward to you seeing me say that there's a reason your ass is getting called out by the black folk in this topic, and not being able to respond.
I like how every black poster in the thread fully sees what's going on here but we still have folks in here thinking they're being slick with their bullshit.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
When two men have a friendship in movies like these there's often an insistence by a subset of fans that they want to - or should - fuck. It's a tiring simplistic take on bonds between males that reduces them down to rutting animals.
Almost like popular blockbuster media ignores LGBT relationships all the fucking time and people would like to see it acknowledged.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
He's nearly a decade older and has had to deal with the press, fans, etc. for a much longer time than Boyega has. I'm sure Boyega in 2030 will think he said a dumb thing, like a lot of 30-somethings feel about things they said were in their mid-20's.

In order for that to happen he needs to have said something dumb in the first place. This at worst was a bit crude. Thats it. There is nothing to regret.

He can push back in a whole lot of ways without saying dumb sexist things. I have zero problems w/ his quote about Star Wars romance or even his dislike of TLJ, even if I disagree with him.

Wait are you referring to his Pipe comment as sexist?

PennyStonks

Banned
May 17, 2018
When two men have a friendship in movies like these there's often an insistence by a subset of fans that they want to - or should - fuck. It's a tiring simplistic take on bonds between males that reduces them down to rutting animals.
Is this gender swapped copypasta or something? When any two characters have a friendship in movies like these there's often an insistence by a subset of fans that they want to - or should - fuck.
All shipping is shit. FinnPoe isn't inherently toxic like Reylo. Lets see some gay people.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
It's an off collar joke he made as a comment on someone else instagram. It's extremely mild at that. The way people have been blowing this out of proportion is insane.

I disagree with the idea it's just an off color joke, but I get it, if somebody is uncomfortable, like many women obviously are, with men making jokes about 'laying the pipe' to them, they're just prudes who can't take a joke, right?

Again - if Boyega wants to trash TLJ, make fun of ReyLo shippers, or whatever, perfectly fine. Have a ball. Light the bridge on fire.

I can't even begin to imagine the RLM review of a Brie Larson led SW film.

I wonder what the overlap of Youtubers who will be defending Boyega for finally speaking for the TRUE fans and those who complained about Larson being mean to white critics are. A perfect circle?

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, because if there's a form of representation missing from modern cinema, it's "men being friends with each other." I'm glad Star Wars brought us this important missing piece of our culture and represented it onscreen lol

Also maybe don't describe gay men in romantic relationships as "rutting animals"
Pretty sure that's not what that poster was talking about. I think they are talking about the issues with using gay male romance to pander to the straight female gaze.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The funny thing is that people who announce that they're blocking someone are the people who can't bear to read a topic and not look at the posts of the people they blocked.

So, despite your announcement, I look forward to you seeing me say that there's a reason your ass is getting called out by the black folk in this topic, and not being able to respond.
I've responded enough, you just don't give a shit. You wanna claim that I'm racist because I said a guy was being arrogant, you don't know shit about me and won't stop throwing that label around and what, you're expecting me to shit this thread up with even more defenses that you're going to ignore because you've made up your mind already? Nah man.

I'm not racist, I'm not taking that label from anyone and I'm not about to go in circles saying the same thing over and over again for you to ignore it in bad faith. I'm giving you a block for my own damn sanity, don't flatter yourself about it.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
Every light saber fight in Star Wars is a stand-in for sex in the same way every vampire bite is sex.

Think about it.

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Modwhining and Misrepresenting Prior Ban https://www.resetera.com/posts/26598923; Numerous Prior Bans for Inflammatory Behavior
Almost like popular blockbuster media ignores LGBT relationships all the fucking time and people would like to see it acknowledged.
The situation here is that people are interpreting something the way they want and getting angry at others for denying it. It's the same fan ownership we get with shippers.

But regardless, I'm done with this thread and will add it to the ignore list. The mods banned me for a month in the acephobic thread right before I was going to expand upon my experiences of never dating and being humiliated over it. I'm still extremely bitter over that and the tendency of forum users and mods for incorrectly interpreting and shutting things down without question. God knows how much this makes them salivate.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Not a gross comment at all lol, people here have made way more crude jokes in the OT

Oct 27, 2017
In order for that to happen he needs to have said something dumb in the first place. This at worst was a bit crude. Thats it. There is nothing to regret.

He said that people who say that are usually sexist white guys...... er .... therefore... uhhh.... Boyega said a sexist thing! Literally his logic that he refuses to expound upon.

Edit: Well I'll be, finally a response.
You just got to give white liberals the slightest bit of rope, barely any, and the jig is up
I'm just glad that Era has a robust enough black community that it usually gets called the fuck out, whenever white "progressives" get on this shit.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yes, I think talking about 'laying the pipe' to a woman you're not in a sexual relationship of any form with is a little sexist, because you're not thinking of them as a woman, but rather a whole to fill, like a pipe does.

Now, I realize to many on this forum, that makes me a prude SJW that is ruining things, because dudes can't even make jokes in public about fucking random women anymore.

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree with the idea it's just an off color joke, but I get it, if somebody is uncomfortable, like many women obviously are, with men making jokes about 'laying the pipe' to them, they're just prudes who can't take a joke, right?

Again - if Boyega wants to trash TLJ, make fun of ReyLo shippers, or whatever, perfectly fine. Have a ball. Light the bridge on fire.

I wonder what the overlap of Youtubers who will be defending Boyega for finally speaking for the TRUE fans and those who complained about Larson being mean to white critics are. A perfect circle?

Here's the issue me and so many black poster have with this. Even ignoring our personal thoughts on the comment, the fact of the matter is he's been getting a lot of racist hate since he joined this franchise and it's been getting worse as of recent. Plus he's been getting a lot of really bad faith criticism as well recently. So people are obviously going to get defensive when we have yet another seemingly mild thing being used to attack his character. In a vacuum I can see why people would find those comments problematic, but taking everything into consideration everything. I don't believe the people making these criticisms are doing it good faith.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Yes, I think talking about 'laying the pipe' to a woman you're not in a sexual relationship of any form with is a little sexist, because you're not thinking of them as a woman, but rather a whole to fill, like a pipe does.

Now, I realize to many on this forum, that makes me a prude SJW that is ruining things, because dudes can't even make jokes in public about fucking random women anymore.
Well then it sure is a good thing he didn't say that to a woman then isn't it? He made the comment about a fictional character that does not exist. Not to Daisy Ridley.

Also fucking LOL at that second part. You have to be trolling.

Glasfrut

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lol, some of y'all are transparent as hell. What's the ETA on someone telling him to "shut up and dribble"?

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
In cases where its warranted? Sure. This is not that. I can't imagine actually being that sensitive.

People just have different ideas where the line is and I have a different standard for public figures than people like us .

I feel most of us should but maybe that's not the majority opinion on the topic. That's a good discussion to have though.

Like I said, it's literally 1 or 2 out of 10 on my scale.

Status
Not open for further replies.