• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Should have clarified, this comment wasn't particularly "gross" like the OP claimed (lol) but this whole press tour has been him being sort of brazenly rude and arrogant about things. His weird dismissive comment about the trauma experienced by people like Kelly Marie Tran, his comments about The Last Jedi and stuff like this just seem a bit obnoxious. I don't really think he's a bad guy, he just seems like... well, an ass. He seems to love the taste of his foot so he just keeps it in his mouth.

JB defended KMT more than any other actor in franchise. He made a poorly worded reference to it in an interview and later apologized and clarified his statements. Anyone who continues to bring this up is arguing in bad faith.

How does him not liking TLJ make him an ass? He was right in that his section of the film was objectively the worst part of it, even people who like the film agree with this. Why does him saying the same make him an ass?

Tabaxi

Nov 18, 2018
The wildest part of this is seeing all the Reylo shippers freaking out.

Do Joker/Harley shippers get this way when you point out their ship is problematic? I'm genuinely curious.

OP
OP
Lunar Wolf

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
He made a joke about sex.
Because sex is icky obviously.

(I don't understand it either)

Um......both of the things you listed are opinions?
^

Why are we getting outraged over a sex joke?

Let me ask you guys a quick question.

Do you believe all sex jokes are okay? Because that's what you're implying when you say it's just a sex joke.

Do you believe there are such things as inappropriate sex jokes and that context can matter?

If you do believe that then stop saying "it's just a sex joke" because all that means is that you believe that sex jokes can't be gross. Be careful how you use your words.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Hold on, I don't think anyone is being called an "SJW". I don't think it is an unreasonable position on either side, I totally get where you're coming from, but could you also understand someone who doesn't feel that way because he's talking about a fictional character? I think we can probably all agree that Boyega is not consciously targeting Daisy Ridley as an individual in his comment, right? Not that there may not be a subtext that comes out of it, but we can't ascribe a huge amount of malicious intent to him, right?

No, I think Boyega is just being a dumbass 20-something thrusted into the spotlight.

OTOH, I think many of the people supporting him are upset they're in the society where they can't openly objectify women in the spotlight without pushback as easily as anymore - thus, the reaction to anytime people complain about a sexist joke is "oooh, you're such a prude. I thought the Left was supposed to be open about sex!"

So you're upset about talking about sex and using AAVE?

yeah, that's what I thought

you know it's not about some blurry distinction between actors and characters. It's really just the above

Hey, if Boyega thinks Finn's character should be that of an asshole who just wants to lay the pipe to Rey, that's fine. That just makes him a dumbass.

As far as 'lay the pipe' being AAVE, I've heard that phrasing far more from white dude bros than black guys, but in either case, anybody who uses such phrasing is a bit of a sexist asshole, regardless of their race.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
User banned (2 weeks): off-topic trolling, false equivalences surrounding sexualization
Fucking double standard ass motherfuckers out here criticizing Boyega for the phrase lay the pipes as if while decrying female sexualization there hasn't been a major uptick in male sexualization and that it's okay because its "completely different in context" or some bull. Just accept sex jokes from any and every side and you'll be better off.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017

Do you believe all sex jokes are okay? Because that's what you're implying when you say it's just a sex joke.

Do you believe there are such things as inappropriate sex jokes and that context can matter?

If you do believe that then stop saying "it's just a sex joke" because all that means is that you believe that sex jokes can't be gross. Be careful how you use your words.

would daisy making a tweet about Rey nailing [insert character here] be just as troubling for you?

Oct 27, 2017
OTOH, I think many of the people supporting him are upset they're in the society where they can't openly objectify women in the spotlight without pushback as easily as anymore - thus, the reaction to anytime people complain about a sexist joke is "oooh, you're such a prude. I thought the Left was supposed to be open about sex!"
giphy.gif

jaekeem

Oct 27, 2017
Hey, if Boyega thinks Finn's character should be that of an asshole who just wants to lay the pipe to Rey, that's fine. That just makes him a dumbass.

As far as 'lay the pipe' being AAVE, I've heard that phrasing far more from white dude bros than black guys, but in either case, anybody who uses such phrasing is a bit of a sexist asshole, regardless of their race.

LMAO

so let me guess

clapping cheeks — is that also sexism? Any kind of euphemism for hetero sex that doesn't match your puritanical worldview, sexist and objectifying, correct?

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017

You didn't explain why exactly it's "gross"

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
Boyega has every right to go full on DGAF mode. Still remember the interview from TFA where JJ told him he's going to be the face of Star Wars (and he was a character full of potential) and then after TFA became a joke of a character.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I do not get how this is a controversy at all. Gonna read the thread to see if I can understand the other sides arguments and figure out what happened.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
would daisy making a tweet about Rey nailing [insert character here] be just as troubling for you?

Not as much, because we don't have a centuries long history of men objectifying women and talking about them, only about the ways they can be used for sexual pleasure, like Boyega did.

OTOH, yes, it'd be a little weird and off putting if say, Daisy Ridley continually talked about how she wanted Rey to get railed by Finn, while he said nothing about it.

Lebron

Oct 30, 2017
He's had to deal with nut job SW fans for years, he's being pretty tame.

Strange how certain SW actors seem to be targeted more though

*woof*

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019

You say context matters but you want to frame this as if it can be only one of two extremes.

If you want to actually look at the context, here it is; John made an obviously sarcastic comment about "laying the pipe." The "you're a genius" part should've been a giveaway. The context here is a man who clearly is fed up with a fandom that has reduced these characters to ships.

Oct 25, 2017
John Boyega seems like such an ass. This press tour did him less favors than Pacific Rim: Uprising. That comment in particular isn't particularly egregious though.

How?

Yeah, fuck John Boyega for this. Glad Finn got dealt a shitty hand in TLJ now.

Bonus "fuck you" for Pacific Rim: Uprising too.

It just seems as if you don't like him and it certainly can't be because he made an ass of himself during some press tour, because he really didn't.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
Yeah. Um. I'm reporting him to Daisy Ridley. Once she finds out how gross he is, he'll never get to lay her pipes or whatever.

Nov 9, 2017
Gotta say watching the Star Wars fandom melt down is kind of similar to to watching a train wreck. The next trilogy will not have near the amount of cultural impact as the past 3. Magic is gone.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Maybe the vocal black man should sit down and shut up because shippers are uncomfortable with him calling out fictional bad relationships.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I didn't mind Reylo and there was clearly a lot more sexual energy between them than Rey and Finn

But hardcore shippers are annoying as fuck, get off of Boyega's back about that shit. Nobody should feel insulted or hurt because someone didn't like the same fictional relationship as you.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
The implications of the joke are a bit crude, crass, maybe even sexualizing but I don't think it was his intention to mean it literally. So a crude joke that just that didn't land that well. No need for the pitchforks just yet.

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
...Huh? I don't even know who that person is, it's certainly not the OP here

No, but there seems to be a lot of intentional mischaracterization of Boyega's comments over the last few weeks, coincidentally after he extras his opinions over TLJ.

It's becoming transparent and acting like no one is secretly cheering for his downfall feels disingenuous at this point. People aren't imagining this and it's disappointing to see all the gaslighting.

All at the giving a pass to Daisy, who in her defense was caught off guard, still have a pretty bad answer to in regards to who own privilege. It's hard to take people seriously and in good faith.

Last edited:

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
JB defended KMT more than any other actor in franchise. He made a poorly worded reference to it in an interview and later apologized and clarified his statements. Anyone who continues to bring this up is arguing in bad faith.

How does him not liking TLJ make him an ass? He was right in that his section of the film was objectively the worst part of it, even people who like the film agree with this. Why does him saying the same make him an ass?
You really don't think that it's unprofessional to publicly thrash a film that you were involved in only three years ago? You don't think that's arrogant and disrespectful to the cast and crew who worked on that project?

In the case of his "weak" comment, that was an uncalled for statement regardless of whether or not he intended it to be targeted towards anyone in particular. It's not "arguing in bad faith" to call out a comment which was genuinely tasteless and dismissive of the feelings of not only Tran but countless others working in the industry. It's a poorly thought out comment at best and a cruel and obnoxious one at worst.

I doubt either of us will change our minds here so let's not clog the thread up with a back and forth, I just personally feel like he's really putting his foot in his mouth and being a bit immature, frankly. That's just my stance, not knocking your stance on the matter, we just have to agree to disagree.
Getting too uppity, if you ask me!
Nah, don't come at me with that shit. It's pretty clear that I'm not taking that position, I just think he's got a terrible case of foot in mouth syndrome.

Oct 25, 2017
No, I think Boyega is just being a dumbass 20-something thrusted into the spotlight.

God this is hilarious

Oct 27, 2017

Oh cool, now he's a dumbass and a sexist.

Anything else you wanna get off your chest at this opportune moment, sir?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Maybe the vocal black man should sit down and shut up because shippers are uncomfortable with him calling out fictional bad relationships.

Actually, I think all men, no matter the race, should stop saying dumbass sexist things like Boyega did.

Shippers are dumb, and Boyega faced a lot of dumb racist attacks by SW fans I'm sure - that doesn't give him a right to act like a dude at a frat party talking about a girl on the other side of the room without facing criticism.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
The man is so fucking done with this shit lmao. He has every right to throw shit back at this miserable fandom.

Status
Not open for further replies.