• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
DJGolfClap

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
Sometimes terrible people do great work. This is all around us. Everybody has to decide for themselves how that makes them feel about the work and to what extent they can enjoy it.

This is true! You have to pick your own personal battles.

That's why the "But EVERYTHING is made by someone terrible, are you going to boycott EVERYTHING?" argument doesn't hold.

Dec 9, 2018
New Jersey
Sometimes terrible people do great work. This is all around us. Everybody has to decide for themselves how that makes them feel about the work and to what extent they can enjoy it.
Exactly. Some of the greatest artists and musicians and directors have done and said terrible things. That doesn't necessarily mean you support the person when you embrace the work they've created if it's agnostic of their views.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Dragon Quest is such a shame.

I managed to miss the Adam Baldwin Codename Steam thing. Ouch!

The worst cases are things like Hat in Time where the dev had plenty of time and doubled down on their inclusion of someone wretched.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Regarding Disney, I expect it's difficult to work with a company like this without taking the baggage of undesirable actors or senior staff.

Dinobot

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
That's a tough question. I've never boycotted anything. I think it would be easier to boycott on indie game if the person is shitty (Phil Fish), but a game made by hundreds of people shouldn't be boycotted because of one persons minor involvement.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
If something gets in the way of me enjoying a piece of entertainment, then I won't play/read/watch it. It's a very personal case by case thing here.

I haven't boycotted a game or film though, primarily because they're the work of more than one or two individuals.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
I believe noted transphobe and misogynist Drake Bell is also in Kingdom Hearts III? So if anything they've just doubled-down on the shitheels, lol.

Heisenberg726

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I think theres a difference based on how involved someone is in a project.

If it's one voice actor of a side character, who cares? He's not a part of the core of the game and he doesn't benefit any further than he already did from a sold copy. If it's the creator or head of a studio himself though, that's a different story. Where to draw the line, that's the difficult part.

And it's not like it's not working. There are so many stories of products or companies tanking because one key person said something stupid publicly, even before the internet was a thing. It's basically any marketing guys worst nightmare.

Even if a creator of something would insult you personally and publicly? I'm pretty sure I would steer away from anything that person touches.

Alright, it might be a little different if it's the actual creator (not just some random developer) personally attacking me while using my own name.

However, if they said some general bullshit like "I hate Hispanics," then I wouldn't care and would buy it anyway. (I say this as someone who is part Hispanic, btw)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
No I won't boycott because a shitty person or two is involved. Well maybe I would, but it would take something more than a low level voice actor or random dev being a bigot or asshole. Maybe if was the person that owned studio or directed the game

Meows

Oct 28, 2017
I wouldn't boycott something like a game or movie unless they were, like, the main actor or the director. Where their presence is just impossible to avoid. Hades is such a small role that I am not that bothered, even though I am LGBT - but if it came out that Tetsuya Nomura or Haley Joel Osment were being openly homophobic, I might consider passing it up. In general though, I don't boycott art that much.

Icy

Oct 25, 2017
Learn to separate the art from the artist.

Came to post this.

I see this discussion brought up in other entertainment areas like music - ultimately, are you able to separate the art from the artist?

I usually can.

I cannot because art doesn't exist in a vacuum. My interpretation and consumption of art rely on context, which the creator is a part of. Trying to divorce the art from the artist isn't some great accomplishment or something we should be trying to do.

The fact that this actor has made some problematic tweets has literally nothing to do with the game. People can do what they want, but progressive people should be veeeerrrrrryyyy careful that they're not shaming other people into thinking that they can't enjoy games because of things which are entirely out of their control.

James Woods has also been accused by multiple actresses of sexual misconduct, including those who were underage at the time. He's more than just "problematic tweets" when he uses his platform elsewhere as well.

This thread has seemingly been more defensive posts from those who seem bewildered by the idea that someone would boycott a game.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2017
People are free to boycott whatever as long as they don't force their opinions and boycotts on anyone else or start talking shit to peoplenwho don't boycott.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Even if I felt that boycotts are useless, the involvement of certain individuals often sours the entire experience for me. I have no interest in Kingdom Hearts 3 but Roger Stone's small role probably wouldn't bother me as much but knowing that I paid for something with that shitheel on it would bum me out. I also think Sugiyama is an extremely vile person so I got DQXI used but that doesn't make his music go away (I mean, it didn't help that the music was garbage tier either).

It's a complicated topic because a lot of things and feelings, many not very rational, come together. I fully support people's right to speak up and boycott these products and people though.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Nah. A voice is just a voice. I will not boycott a game for that. Because as always, boycotting the work of hundreds if not thousands of people because of one involved asshole seems unfair to the others who didn't do anything wrong.

The only reasons i could have to "boycott" a game is if it's filled with anti-consumer practices to a point it ruins the fun of it or if the entire game is meant to glorify something really vile.

If the game is good, i don't care.

Oct 30, 2017
Boycotts don't work like that, you're meant to show solidarity.

So you saying with a boycott you meant to force your opinions on others and call them out for supporting the said product or service. Imagine if the world worked like that, people talking shit to you because you own a iPhone, shop in Primark, use Amazon, and bought Kingdom Hearts 3. You can find a ton of things where a person in the company has done something bad, or has bad views. Imagine boycotting everything that's corrupt in this world. I'm not saying it's impossible but it will be hard. I come to a conclusion where people find one thing to boycott easier than another thing, or they feel more strongly about one particular boycott. And that's fine. Just don't force your opinions on others. It's like those crazy vegans that go around telling people who are not vegans they need to get fucked lol.

Doctor_Thomas

Oct 27, 2017
James Woods is a terrible person.

However, ultimately, boycotting is a personal choice and if you boycott one product because of one terrible person, you'll soon find that when you really dig into it, there's a lot of horrible people working on every product or horrible policies in place to let you get the products you have.

As awful as Woods is, you'll probably find your electronic device you used to type up that he's awful uses conflict minerals to keep costs down. That the people who constructed your device are underpaid workers in horrible conditions. The provider you use for internet/mobile data likely has connections or interests in other companies that exploit the environment or people.

Fact is, nothing is pure. Someone horrible has had input at some stage in everything you use or consume.

That's not me dismissing it, either, just always worth being aware that there's also non-horrible people who work on these things too.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
I heard the office tea-lady serving tea to the devs during the development of Playstation 5 hate dogs and stamp on kitties.

I am going to boycott the playstation 5.

Sony is done!

/S

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I mean you'll probably end up kicking James Woods' ass in that game, but I see what you're saying. He's a vile little fart of a man.

It's difficult to separate artist from art for me, and I know not everybody feels the same. It was a point of debate at our Christmas this year; when, on the old compilation CD, Gary Glitter's "Rock and Roll Christmas" came on, do we skip? I personally said yes, but my Dad was adamant that his memories were of the song, not the artist.

I find it tough though, really tough; I'm still pissed because Morgan Freeman potentially being a creep has spoiled his role as a kindly (criminal) friend in Shawshank. Despite being a big Beatles fan, I find John Lennon's peace and love shtick hard to absorb anymore after finding out he was a bastard most of the time. And yes, James Woods, despite his silky smooth voice, is a gigantic turd.

YMMV on this sort of thing. If you want to forego something as a statement, you can. But If you can look past it, that's fine too.

Cynn

Oct 27, 2017
He's a bad guy in the game. I'm sure you get to fuck him over in some way right? Maybe enjoy that aspect of it.

Kaim Argonar

Dec 8, 2017
I'm not boycotting any game. I don't care how vile and evil are people behind it if the game is good and is not vile in itself.

Trisc

Oct 27, 2017
Hercules is one of my favorite movies in the DAC. I despise James Woods, in spite of his inarguable acting talent. He's a complete dirtbag.

However, Woods is not the sole person responsible for a movie like Hercules. He's not in charge of redistributing the movie on rereleases, and he's not in charge of determining who develops what mechanics in Kingdom Hearts. He's just Hades.

It'd be like me boycotting Injustice on the basis on Adam Baldwin being in the game. He's a piece of shit, not unlike Woods, but he's not the sole person who stands to benefit from sales of the game. Actors like Kevin Conroy and Tara Strong also gave it their all for the game, and I think it's really unfair to deny the creative efforts of those actors (not to mention the rest of the development team) based on the casting of one unsavory individual.

Now, if this were a game made by developers with notoriously shitty studio heads (like Stardock) and they cast a shitty person in a major role in the game, then I'd be completely against the product. Well, I'd be against the product by virtue of it being made by Stardock, because the head of that studio is a colossal douchebag, but I digress.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Very different circumstances, but I refused to purchase Life is Strange 2 because they replaced Ashley Burch during the strike.

Does it count if the publisher was shit?

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
I honestly think boycotting a game because of one particular voice actor is a scumbag is a shit thing to do. Voice talent has no involvement in the product other than how it sounds. James Woods didn't code the game. He didn't make models. He didn't compose music. He didn't write the scenario. He said some lines
Just mute the audio when he's on screen and don't punish the people who did the real work.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me it would depend on how big a part it is. A game is developed by hundreds. It's like movies. What is your favourite game? What is your perfect movie, or TV show. Even if all of the principle cast are amazing, even if the directors and writers are great, do you know that like the costume designer or a character modeller hasn't done something awful?

For me it's about trying to send a message. If someone released a game or movie and James Woods was the main character- no way. House of cards that shit (or just cancel, dear lord). But he's one character of hundreds, and not a big one.

EDIT: Of course in the end do what you want. However I agree with others that in this case the boycott I don't think sadly sends the right message. If somehow it did, I would definitely be on board.

Tangyn

Oct 29, 2017
I have been torn about posting this as I don't want to get ripped apart but can someone explain to me how a dev PAYING someone who apparently is a piece of shit homophobe/transphobe (I didn't read the links) doesn't cause as much outrage as some other things recently (nazi youtubers etc).

Is it because James Woods is just one SMALL part of a huge machine and they had no choice to use him?

Please be nice - I genuinely just want to be educated and don't understand why people get mad at X and not Y.

For the record I could't care less about Kingdom Hearts so won't be playing it either way or certain youtubers.

Zoantharia

Oct 30, 2017
How do you feel about buying used + japanese dub? I don't think you should let one asshole deprive you of the joy you could get from playing the rest of the game

CortexVortex

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think I would ever boycott a game / movie because of that. If there are more than 10 people working on a project, it's always likely that one of them is an asshole in some way.
In this case I am actually glad that they didn't recast him because he does such an amazing job as hades

Unclebenny

Oct 28, 2017
Basically nobody actually buys even a fraction of the games that come out.

We don't buy games because we don't have time to play them.

We don't buy games because the cover art didn't look that appealing.

We don't buy games, often, for no actual reason. There are literally countless games I haven't bought that I couldn't even give you a single reason beyond "I guess I'm not interested" justifying my decision to not buy them.

Never let anyone tell you that a moral objection to someone who works on it is not a good reason to purchase a product. It's a far better reason than almost any other.

This, this, this all over.

Perhaps we should avoid the use of the word "boycott" for these individual decisions, as it brings all the "keeps politics out of my game" people out of the woodwork.

It is totally reasonable to not buy something for whatever reason, you are not betraying the development team just because you like the series in the past.

Your reasons for buying or not buying a disposable entertainment product are completey valid.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
There's almost definitely a homophobe/racist/general shitheel involved in literally everything you consume. Everything - even that progressive company/person you love. So unless it's the CEO or something, I just don't see the point in boycotting. James Woods probably isn't making much from this, and your one withheld sale will go completely unnoticed.

Galleren

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Norway
I have never boycotted a game that looked interesting due to any reason, and i probably never will.

Shini42

Jan 7, 2018
Is not buying a video game the same as boycotting it? I've never actively boycott any video game. If I don't like some aspects of a game, or found some theams disturbing - I don't buy it.
Boycott sounds better, I guess.

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about R Kelly tracks or the Cosby Show?
I don't really get the point? It's two horrible individuals that are involved in media that are some-what highly rated for the enjoyable content they produce(d).

If I'm trying to use your example for content I actually enjoy (because I'm not a hip hop nor a family sitcom fan) I liked kevin spacey in se7en.