• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
When it came out I was like 9 or 10 and all the kids at school thought it looked better than the DS lite. It looked more like a fun toy I guess lmao

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember having one of it but I lost it in the cab. Then I use it as an opportunity to upgrade to the best handheld (at that moment) for a change: the Nintendo DS lite.

Oct 25, 2017
It always reminded me of the canceled NES prototype
nintendoworld6.jpg

nintendoworld8.jpg

nsilvias

Oct 25, 2017
i sometimes feel like im the only one that like the og nds
but in other colors like blue, black, grey.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the OG DS was ugly. But it had a fantastic D-Pad, IMO. I played a lot of GBA games on it because of that. Tis how I beat Astro Boy: Omega Factor.

dynamitejim

Oct 25, 2017
On the plus side, the battery is compatible with GBA SP with some slight modification and has 40% more capacity. So it did provide some good.

Yesterday

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was cool as fuck at the time. the thing was built like a tank and I still have my electric blue one and it works fine. unlike my cracked hinge DS Lite

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately think the Switch and the Gamecube are the only times Nintendo hasn't released an ugly system (at least at launch).

aett

Oct 27, 2017
Northern California
My roommate bought an original DS on launch day, but we almost never played it. I thought it was a failed system, for sure, and I bought a PSP on its launch day... which, to me, also had a dismal first year.

My roommate moved out right before the floodgates opened and all these great DS games released: Dawn of Sorrow, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Phoenix Wright, etc. so I had to buy my own DS. I felt stupid when the Lite was announced soon after.

Herne

Dec 10, 2017
The original wasn't great and the prototype was significantly worse, but I never thought the PSP looked any good either.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i like the blue one. weird piece of hardware, but if the screens were better I'd be fine with it.

Salmander

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao it sure was! Same with original 3ds, I actually waited for them to release 3ds xl. I contemplated it and decided that I couldn't look at that ugly thing everyday.

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
To the 12 years old me, that machine was the coolest looking thing ever.
It was like having a motherfucking spaceship in your hands.

Rickenslacker

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the form factor of the original. The smaller, dimmer screens sucked, but the d-pad felt nicer, it was better to hold, had better feeling shoulder buttons, and wasn't a complete fingerprint magnet. If the screens were the same between the original and Lite, I'd have stuck with the original.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I imported the black version from Japan, which was only slightly better to look at. I just could not pull the trigger on the ugly ass North American version.

Aarglefarg

Oct 27, 2017
I might not have actually seen an original DS in person until I already owned a Lite. I remember seeing it and being surprised how bad it looked. It was also a few years old and a grey (?) one which didn't help.

Nov 23, 2017
Hard disagree OP, and it's revisionist shit that the PSP was going to trounce the DS...maybe f you were a Sony fanboy in 2004 but the GBA had just sold literally 80 million units. Why would Nintendo's successor do worse? People were into the touch screen too and the double screens made it stand out in stores.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
Original DS is pretty nice imo. Lites better in most regards but I had very little trouble with the original. An its light years better than the original 3DS which simply hurts just to hold!

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
Bought a PSP in Summer 05, got a DS in January 06. Crap industrial design on the DS, but the games were more fun than PSP. Mario Kart and NSMB were dynamite. Returned the DS to Costco and bought a Lite on release day - what a nice piece of gear.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
The OG DS was bulky, but it did the job it was designed for and its success made a lot of people look foolish in hindsight.

Hardware that looks "sexy" isn't always going to end up capturing the market. :P

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I preferred its clicky buttons over the lite's mushy ones. At least they rectified that with the 3ds.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I never understood how they managed to make that so ugly. It didn't even really close right.

Whenever you put DS and PSP together, I think of that fake Yamauchi interview. God damn, love that thing.

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I don't like it that much. The DS Lite felt like multiple generations later in terms of design. I do still use an OG for GBA games sometimes because I like how it feels somewhat and for nostalgia... mainly nostalgia.

It was ugly, but wasn't it more durable than the lite hinge-wise?
Both my OG and Lites binge broke on me from normal usage, so I'm not sure on that.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
I always wondered if Nintendo rushed the DS launch to counter the PSP. The GBA was still doing incredibly well, and without any serious competition I don't see why Nintendo would be compelled to introduce the "third pillar".

The DS Lite looks more like a finished product, and the timing makes alot of sense. GBA launched in 2001, and DS Lite launched in 2006. I never really thought about it until later, but the OG DS does look like a lumpish prototype next to the DS Lite.