• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not talking about the revisions, BTW, just the first one. Who thought that was a good design? Without the lite coming out I think Sony might have actually won that handheld generation. But they turned that ship around quickly I'll give them that.

game-ds-original-9649(1).jpg

I mean look at this ugly piece of shit. Especially when the competition had this:

Sony-PSP-1000-Body.png

I'm just so glad that lite came out. I bought the white one and I would have never touched a DS if it was still the OG around. Anyways guys tell me how ugly the OG DS was to you.

Last edited:

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
Ha aye, first DS was rough in many ways, those screens were pretty dim...especially rough to use after getting a Game Boy Micro which had a much more vibrant display.

Still played OG DS an absolute ton but gosh I was relieved when the Lite came along

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
With that low of a resolution compared to the PSP, it's a miracle it sold at all

I don't know if the PSP was ever going to outsell the DS, though. Isn't the only reason it had any "success" at all because of Monster Hunter and piracy?

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
It has nothing on the original prototype. While it was more comfortable to hold then the launch unit it was ugly as sin (I got to use one of these monstrosities).

OriginalDS5.jpg

Derachi

Oct 27, 2017
The story of the DS's inception is one of my favourites in all of game history. Hiroshi Yamauchi, the boss of Nintendo who never played video games and you could never say no to, walked up to Satoru Iwata and said "yeah put a second screen on it." He and the rest of the team had no fucking idea what to do. They couldn't say no to Yamauchi.

The reason I bring this up: if your boss told you to make something you could never have imagined, you'd probably take more than one shot to get it right.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
With that low of a resolution compared to the PSP, it's a miracle it sold at all

I don't know if the PSP was ever going to outsell the DS, though. Isn't the only reason it had any "success" at all because of Monster Hunter and piracy?
Uhhh no (on the piracy front). The system was doing reasonably well and had healthy software sales till the full blown tilt of piracy after GTA:LCS. Things like monster hunter helped it recover in japan and improve software sales.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
i kind of liked it

almost felt like a little laptop or sommit

OmahaGTP

Dec 24, 2017
I owned a DS original and honestly completely forgot about it until the Lite was announced. It was night and day.

I still remember the sentiment, at least among my peers at the time, was that the PSP was going to crush the DS in ways that could only be compared to what the DS ended up doing to the PSP.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
It's the only DS I've ever owned. Still have it and love it. Even used it for work when I did QA. Thing is a beast.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
I never knew it existed until the DS Lite was announced. I was a GBA kid back in the day, and nobody at school had a DS either back then until 2006

twofive

Oct 27, 2017
I usually keep all my console/portable, but I traded in this one as soon as the lite came out.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
The story of the DS's inception is one of my favourites in all of game history. Hiroshi Yamauchi, the boss of Nintendo who never played video games and you could never say no to, walked up to Satoru Iwata and said "yeah put a second screen on it." He and the rest of the team had no fucking idea what to do. They couldn't say no to Yamauchi.

The reason I bring this up: if your boss told you to make something you could never have imagined, you'd probably take more than one shot to get it right.

If Yamauchi was still around the 3DS actually would have had 3 screens.

Mr. Genuine

Mar 23, 2018
Uhhh no (on the piracy front). The system was doing reasonably well and had healthy software sales till the full blown tilt of piracy after GTA:LCS. Things like monster hunter helped it recover in japan and improve software sales.

I mean, I'm sure piracy hurt software sales, but all I remember from the PSP days was people saying you should get it because how easy it was to hack and pirate games for.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
The original DS was a fucking monstrosity. It was as unwieldy as it was ugly. DS Lite was such a great revision (hinges aside)

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It looked so bad next to an SP. Like it was mutated or something.

And the paint flaked really easily, so the entire thing ended up looking like a shitty Happy Meal toy that sat in the bottom of the toy chest for five years before being unearthed.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA

I believe you, I'd just never heard of this and would love to read the original quotes/source. Yamauchi stories are always entertaining.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
DS Lite revision was so, so good though. Still have one and play it occasionally.

Tobey Tugboat

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly think the design isn't that bad (very peak early 2000's tech), if you take off the top screen its essentially a cool looking GBA? IIRC it was just too huge, the DS Lite was actually a comfortable size and shape.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
It has nothing on the original prototype. While it was more comfortable to hold then the launch unit it was ugly as sin (I got to use one of these monstrosities).

OriginalDS5.jpg
Huh really. I've always been generally curious about the prototype model. Mainly regarding if there was anything about it that we "missed out" on in the final first unit.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
This is where I go against the grain and say i actually really liked how the phat DS looked

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
It is incredible to compare the original with the DS lite. They really turned that beast into a beauty

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Got it at launch and it was the only DS I owned. I liked it even though the Lite was nicer. It has a very PDA vibe to it. At the time Nintendo was saying the Gameboy line would still exist so they were trying to position this as a third pillar and probably give it a distinct aesthetic. It's very aughts to me.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Boo! The phat DS is beautiful! I loved mine so much. No jutting out GBA games like the lite had either.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I remember on the internet the prevailing theory was that the PSP was going to murder the DS. The OG DS was definitely ugly and I was smitten by the looks and the potential power of the PSP. And the PSP was a great handheld but I got a DS Lite and it was pretty much handheld heaven. Probably the most amount of original software I can remember on a console since the NES. Every month it seemed like we were getting something we had never seen or played before.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This is where I go against the grain and say i actually really liked how the phat DS looked
I feel the same, but most of that feeling is attributed to refusing to update to all these different revisions when the DS Phat was still capable.

Your screen may have gotten dimmer and dimmer as time went on, but I still love ya, son!

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
Huh really. I've always been generally curious about the prototype model. Mainly regarding if there was anything about it that we "missed out" on in the final first unit.
Other than the edges not being so sharp to dig into your hands there was nothing you missed out on. The only things that were actually interesting were in the TEG prototype board days (the giant PCB) where things were very different. Even though hackers were able to find a way, I'm still a bit miffed nintendo took away direct access to the arm7 for developers that the proto boards supported. =/

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
It was remarkably ugly. I still don't really care for the DS Lite's look, either - that iPod candy coated finish was kind of gross.

The DSi, however, in matte finish...gorgeous.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I mean, I'm sure piracy hurt software sales, but all I remember from the PSP days was people saying you should get it because how easy it was to hack and pirate games for.
People were saying you should buy one because they were easy to hack but that does not mean it actually translated into improved hw sales. If memory serves me correctly, we only saw a boost outside of japan when more titles came state side after the MH recovery in japan spurred new game development.

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I have many memories of group mario kart on those dimly lit fuckers. Nostalgia for days but yeah, they suck. The lite was an amazing upgrade to the point where it may have been the last nintendo piece of hardware I wasnt afraid to break.
Broke the hinge.
Had sand under the touch screen (from the beach)
Shit STILL worked.

Oct 28, 2017
The sharp edges and non-flush seams on the base of the OG DS still make my palms tremble in fear. I've never felt a handheld so uncomfortable to hold. The Lite was a revelation and couldn't come soon enough.